• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Desired new mechanics (Grab-counters?)

Zawaz132

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Zawaz132
Let me first start off saying that I have tried to make sure this topic hasn't been made before, and I didn't find anyone else suggesting this. But if I'm wrong, please let me know, and maybe link me to the pre-existing thread :D
Now onto the topic!

I've been talking with some friends on potential new Smash mechanics, trying to guess where Sakurai and team could/should go in the future. Obviously, Smash isn't going to get a complete mechanic overhaul, but what new mechanics would you guys like to see implemented? There are definitely supporters that want Wavedahing back, but what else?

One such idea would be some sort of grab re-work similar to how some other fighting games treat grabs.
Here would be one example: A Ness dashes at attempts to grab a shielding Fox. The Fox player then presses 'A' to grab the approaching Ness. What happens next would currently depend on grab frames and hitboxes. But would it be better if the grabs simply cancelled, making grabs a little more risky?

Feel free to add new ideas, or discuss previously mentioned ones. Just remember to keep it civil!

Necro'lic

Smash Ace
The way I've seen other fighting games work with grabs (note I'm not into too many fighting games) is to have attacks beat grabs. So it could be as simple as just having attacks counter grabs maybe if they hit someone while they are grabbing. This could also be an indirect buff to tether grabs, since they can bypass this by grabbing at a distance.

aarchak

Smash Ace
Other fighting games have throw teching, where pressing throw within a certain time of being grabbed lets you escape the throw. Smash Ultimate has a thing where if two people grab each other ate the same time, both grabs are negated and both players take a little damage, but it isn't the same. I want some ability to escape throws in Smash.

Zawaz132

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Zawaz132
Smash Ultimate has a thing where if two people grab each other ate the same time, both grabs are negated and both players take a little damage.
Whaaaaat? This was exactly what I was trying to suggest. H...how did I not realize it was actually added? Like, I'm happy to find out they actually implemented this, but I feel like an idiot none-the-less >.>

aarchak

Smash Ace
Whaaaaat? This was exactly what I was trying to suggest. H...how did I not realize it was actually added? Like, I'm happy to find out they actually implemented this, but I feel like an idiot none-the-less >.>

Found a pic of it.
Edit: found a Twitch clip of it.

Last edited:

Yuya-Noboru

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, this mechanics is already in the game and no, I don't want wavedashing to returns in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. My desired feature would be that your controller shakes when your opponent is about to escape your grab so you know when to throw them.

I want some ability to escape throws in Smash.
That would make throws useless if that was the case.

aarchak

Smash Ace
That would make throws useless if that was the case.
They wouldn't be if the timing was made strict like in other fighting games, like 5-8 frames, so you couldn't do it on reaction, you would have to read the throw and counter it, making hit/throw mixups more possible.

Zawaz132

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Zawaz132
They wouldn't be if the timing was made strict like in other fighting games, like 5-8 frames, so you couldn't do it on reaction, you would have to read the throw and counter it, making hit/throw mixups more possible.
This reminds me of a discussion I had a while back about a possible "Shield+B" option. I originally thought that since shield+A was one way to grab, Shield+B could be used to counter or reverse an incoming grab is timed right. It would be punished if used wrong, similar to a Down B counter, but for grabs.

And then Inkling brought in a Shield+B and that idea went out the window lol

D

Deleted member

Anyone remember Air Dash Online?

It was a Smash clone (cancelled), but everyone had an air dash. So what I'm saying here is, what if they added air dashes to Smash?

Top Bottom