• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Derf.MW's Ice Climbers FAQ + Useful links

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
Let's be honest here, the Ice Climbers board is not exactly organized, so I've decided to compile a list of links and topics that I find exceptionally helpful for the novice Ice Climber player.

Before beginning to delve into these guides and IC specific things, make sure you've watched Wak's Advanced How to Play series to learn the universal advanced techniques.

Part 1: The Basics

Fly Amanita's Ice Climbers Guide: This is your first stop. In his guide, Fly covers just about everything you need to know about learning this character.

Choknater's Guide to non-grab skills: Now that you have a basic understanding of how the character works, it's time to learn how to deal with a few issues you'll start running in to. This guide is fantastic for learning what to do when you just can't capitalize off your grabs.

The Hitbox Data thread: Now you've got your general concepts down, it's time to really begin understanding the moves at your disposal.

Part 2: Stepping Your Game Up

Desyncing: (Almost) Everything you need to know

KirbyKaze's Guide to DI'ing Uthrow Uair: You are probably at the point now where you are tired of getting killed by fox's bread and butter kill combo. Here's how to escape!

PEEF!'s little thingy about using your shield DI: How to get bs grabs that you shouldn't be getting!

Magus420's amazing list of techs, throws, and get up data: Yup, it's time to start studying and pounding out that punish game.

A brief Magus420 post on Jab resets: A quick explanation of resets and how they work.

KirbyKaze's fantastic guide for calculating frame advantage: Yeah, this matters. A lot. Pity it was wasted on the sheik boards when Ice Climbers can take advantage of this even better. This may be difficult to understand at first, but it's a really solid tool to have.

PEEF!'s data archive: List of junk you'll want to know

Decoding Why Nana Taunts: Kyu Puff breaks down why nana taunts after respawn and how to prevent it.

A BigVegeta post on how Nana's CPU "levels up": BigVegeta explains how Popo's percent influences the CPU level of Nana

"10,000 Words of Power" by Little England: Eventually, it's time to start working on the player behind the character. This was one of the most helpful guides to me personally when starting out. This may not be IC specific, but it's a great read as you start to work towards being a successful player in the competitive smash scene.

Part 3: The Finishing Touches

"Everywhere At Once" by BluEG: (I'm linking directly to the PDF here so you don't have to navigate through the smashboards stuff). This is a Luigi specific guide, but ICs, and Sopo in particular, have the ability to move and control space more like Luigi than any other character. Pay particular attention to the movement and tech chasing sections, since those are the more "IC applicable" portions.

"Different Ways to Pivot" by Gravy (Video): In addition to BluEG's guide, I find this is a great explanation of how to preform empty pivots and pivot jumps as well as a brief description of smash turns.

Wobbling: Yeah, now that you have the basics, you are ready to learn this. Use it wisely.
(And for funsies, here's PEEF!'s blizzobling topic)

Tomber's even more in depth wobbling guide: Now that you've learned the infinite, this explains everything else you need to know about it! From lagless setups to the psychology, this is a great guide for much of the modern IC play.

Wobble's Handoff Guide: Another powerful infinite (kind of)! Master it.

PEEF!'s Metronome Handoff Thread: Every piece of data you could ever need for handoff timing

3-Dimensional Hitboxes and Hurtboxes: Kyu Puff explains why sometimes only one climber gets hit

PEEF!'s Nana-Rocket Thread: A cool guide to one of the more modern Ice Climber techniques

"Ice Climbers Advanced Movement Options" by Kyu Puff: Fantastic topic covering several more difficult options available to the Ice Climbers

Applications of the Shield Stun Desync: Another great thread by Kyu Puff discussing some practical applications of shield stun desyncs

Ice Climbers' Shield Pressure: Kyu Puff covers some different ways to pressure shields while desynced with the Ice Climbers

No Setup "Jump Desync": A really awesome discovery by Fly Amanita, still more in the realm of theory as opposed to practical application, that holds a lot of potential in the future of Ice Climber development

And Lastly,
Stop by The Ice Climber's General Chat and say hi!

Last edited:

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
Oh I forgot this was a thing. I'm gonna update this soon a add a whole bunch of other links and posts and stuff.

S2rulL

Smash Journeyman
what about choknator's age old guide to fighting without wobbling? cus that is a stupidly useful guide also

EDIT: i'm a dumbass, ignore me

Last edited:

cupofwater

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3823-9392-3814
I've been lookin around at other boards, specifically the Luigi ones, and I've found some posts that may be super useful even if they are not 100% applicable for ICs. They may not be as useful as the ones you have listed but they are certainly ones that should be recognized nonetheless:

http://smashboards.com/threads/advance-attack-avoid-through-the-lens-of-luigi.389684/

This one to a lesser extent, but the general idea is useful. It also motivates us to start implementing pivoting, so hooray.

http://smashboards.com/threads/precision-movement.396342/

There may be posts that I am missing, but I recommend people to check out other character boards to see what we can learn.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
Updated with a couple more things.
Realized I had none of Kyu Puff's threads in here, as well as a few other things.

If anyone has any suggestions for other things to add, let me know.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
This should get stickied, theres too much good info here for it to be on the second page.
I tried to get it stickied awhile back, the goal was originally just to make a kind of directory to help navigate the IC boards, but I guess admins weren't about it.
If people really want to see it stickied, harass the admins about it.

Anyway, I plan to update this pretty soon and add a ton of new links.

IC-Rambler

Smash Cadet
I tried to get it stickied awhile back, the goal was originally just to make a kind of directory to help navigate the IC boards, but I guess admins weren't about it.
If people really want to see it stickied, harass the admins about it.

Anyway, I plan to update this pretty soon and add a ton of new links.
Who are the admins exactly?

2 Trainz

Smash Rookie
Yeah, how should I go about harassing the admins to get this stickied.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
uuuuh Mic_128 I think
I forget, it was like a year ago

but anyway, I keep forgetting about this thread. I've got a bunch of other stuff to add.

Last edited:
Top Bottom