• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Depreciated 1.06] Ftilt with item in hand

Status
Not open for further replies.

Graydient

Smash Cadet
Not sure if this is new, but a neat little trick I found while doing Crazy Orders with Home Run Bat is that c-sticking forward while crouching will let you do the character's standard ftilt instead of the usual item behavior, which is either throw for throwable items or ftilt swing for battering items.

In competitive play, this is mainly useful for characters that can spawn items, though anyone can take advantage of it, like those playing against Diddy. Examples I can confirm are Link (Bomb), Peach (Turnip), Diddy Kong (Banana), ROB (Gyro), Toon Link (Bomb), Robin (Levin Sword/Tome), Bowser Jr (Mechakoopa), Mega Man (Metal Blade), Pac Man (Bonus Fruit).

Last edited:

GdspdUblkprzdnt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GdspdUblkprzdnt
Not sure if this is new, but a neat little trick I found while doing Crazy Orders with Home Run Bat is that c-sticking forward while crouching will let you do the character's standard ftilt instead of the usual item behavior, which is either throw for throwable items or ftilt swing for battering items.

In competitive play, this is mainly useful for characters that can spawn items, though anyone can take advantage of it, like those playing against Diddy. Examples I can confirm are Link (Bomb), Peach (Turnip), Diddy Kong (Banana), ROB (Gyro), Toon Link (Bomb), Robin (Levin Sword/Tome), Bowser Jr (Mechakoopa), Mega Man (Metal Blade), Pac Man (Bonus Fruit).

This will help out a lot. I was just musing yesterday at how to puppy dog guard spawnable items and this helps a lot.

Esquire

Smash Cadet
NNID
DarkSlay
If you thought Diddy was annoying when he just had his banana as his A option...

I can see this benefiting Link, Diddy, and R.O.B. the most, who really wish they had a horizontal mid-range option to space themselves out when throwing their projectiles. Characters with trap projectiles are going to love this. Link in particular now gains a potent normal.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Does the cstick have to be in specific mode, or does it work with both Smash and Tilt?
It works for both. Should be noted though it only works if you tilt the c-stick forward, not back. If it is tilted back, then the character will throw the item.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
This was an important thread when it was made and is still important today; I'm amazed that this didn't get more traffic.

Another thing you can do (and I wasn't the one who found this; Thinkaman told me about it) is hold A when doing this. If A is held, you'll begin charging a forward smash while holding the item. Obviously you can't just hit A to hold it while holding an item (you'll throw it and lose the item), but you could hold A either from the moment you spawned/picked up the item or just do some other action and hit -> hold A during it (on almost all characters, spotdodge is the fastest option for this, but someone like Robin might prefer to use charging Thunder instead). You can release A early in the fsmash animation to do an uncharged fsmash if that suits you, and in either case (fsmash or ftilt), you can indeed chain to later hits as is the option for Meta Knight, Link, and Toon Link on the appropriate moves. I, of course, use smash stick and have not tested doing the fsmash with tilt stick; it seems unlikely it would work to me but if you like tilt stick maybe give it a try?

The tech is actually pretty awesome with Link. You can pull a bomb, wait a moment while holding A, and then double fsmash at the opponent. If you hit, you just hit with fsmash. If you get blocked, the bomb blows up in your hand to possibly hit them and definitely hit you to blow you away to safety (at the low cost of 5% self damage, of course). There are a lot of match situations in which you're fishing for kill moves at mutual high percent in which this will be a *great* way to mitigate your risk while going for a big play.

Even if you don't play a character like Link or Robin that has legitimately cool tech with this, holding Diddy's banana (or R.O.B.'s gyro) against him is very important for every character, and this greatly expands your options while doing so.

W.A.C.

Smash Ace
Another thing you can do (and I wasn't the one who found this; Thinkaman told me about it) is hold A when doing this. If A is held, you'll begin charging a forward smash while holding the item. Obviously you can't just hit A to hold it while holding an item (you'll throw it and lose the item), but you could hold A either from the moment you spawned/picked up the item or just do some other action and hit -> hold A during it (on almost all characters, spotdodge is the fastest option for this, but someone like Robin might prefer to use charging Thunder instead). You can release A early in the fsmash animation to do an uncharged fsmash if that suits you, and in either case (fsmash or ftilt), you can indeed chain to later hits as is the option for Meta Knight, Link, and Toon Link on the appropriate moves. I, of course, use smash stick and have not tested doing the fsmash with tilt stick; it seems unlikely it would work to me but if you like tilt stick maybe give it a try?
I have the right analog stick set to tilt and I main Diddy Kong...you can only imagine how frustrating it is to find out I cannot do a forward smash while holding a banana with my control configuration.

popsofctown

Smash Champion
No, as jab has no directional input, meaning you can only perform it by pressing the A button/button assigned to it.
In Brawl you can jab with diagonal on a c-stick set to attack. Almost certainly in Smash 4 too (since I've done nairs that way)

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
Is this an exploit, or something added intentionally?
It seems likely this is a bug; it would be very strange if these awkward inputs that depend on a c-stick were intended by the developers (all "intended" stuff can be done with no c-stick as far as I can tell). However, as far as bugs go, it's pretty tame, and it's actually pretty interesting what you can do with it. IMO it's one of those classic "advanced techniques" people tend to get so worked up over; it wasn't intended, but it's a nifty trick you can use to expand your options in the game.

AnchorTea

Smash Lord
NNID
AnchorageTea
It seems likely this is a bug; it would be very strange if these awkward inputs that depend on a c-stick were intended by the developers (all "intended" stuff can be done with no c-stick as far as I can tell). However, as far as bugs go, it's pretty tame, and it's actually pretty interesting what you can do with it. IMO it's one of those classic "advanced techniques" people tend to get so worked up over; it wasn't intended, but it's a nifty trick you can use to expand your options in the game.
Well, lets hope Sakurai doesn't patch this. This is such a useful discovery.

◥θ┴θ◤ | JJ

Smash Journeyman
On the Midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
NNID
ThatGamerGuy52
3DS FC
5370-0522-3919
So this along with item drop cancelling (dropping an item in the air with Z and immediately performing a n-air) gives Diddy even more versatility with his banana.

That little monkey just knows how to abuse this game's tech, eh? X3

Iceweasel

Smash Ace
This is news? This has existed since Brawl, at least. If you hold a direction, then use a C-Stick smash in that direction, you'll do a tilt in that direction instead of a Smash.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
This is news? This has existed since Brawl, at least. If you hold a direction, then use a C-Stick smash in that direction, you'll do a tilt in that direction instead of a Smash.
In this case, you're holding down and hitting forward on the c-stick to do an ftilt while holding an item. If that was in Brawl, I wasn't aware of it since you're breaking two normal rules. You're holding a different direction and hitting the c-stick and still getting a tilt (not the same direction), and you're doing an ftilt while holding an item which is otherwise impossible as you're supposed to throw the item. The trick with holding A and using the c-stick to begin charging an fsmash is mostly standard c-stick behavior in 4 other than that fsmash is another action that is supposed to be impossible while holding an item.

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
The recent Mewtwo Patch 1.0.6 has changed slash removed the ability to input a FTilt while holding any throwing item in hand. This goes the same for smashes as well. Although the C-stick set to Smash no longer can do this, one who has their C-stick / R-stick set to Attack & holds a Battering item or Shooting item while crouching can input FTilt. . .:ohwell: which basically means little to nothing for competitive Smash 4.

Farewell FTilt with throwing item in hand. That's a bummer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom