• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Denver Colorado Smash Tourney

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trizzle

Smash Rookie
Me and my friends are looking to put together a tournament. We have a for sure group of 10 willing to play. We are looking to get a total of 24 and split that between two brackets (12 each). Depending on the amount of people we want to hold a FFA Tourney and a Team Tourney. If you live around town or are visiting and want to participate let me know on here so we can get a head count and set everything up. Rules, brackets, buy-ins, etc. will be planned once we get a final head count. SMASH FOR LIFE!!!!!!!!

dandan

Smash Lord
i doubt any serious players would want to go to a ffa tournament.
i wish you all the luck though.

Trizzle

Smash Rookie
Lol why are you guys such ******s? its a ****ing sit down gaming session party? does it matter if its FFA or not bud. more matches. sorry for wanting to have some fun and play smash. wrong site for that i guess

Battlecow

Play to Win
Play whatever you want, bro. Have fun. I'm just informing you, for your own sake, that it's a terrible idea. I'm glad you like the game.

Blade689

Smash Journeyman
A duel is a game to test who is stronger, a real match against 2 people, who place everything on the line. There shouldn't be a 3rd person who can act like a d-bag. I would love to see your argument where the game is more balanced for having 4 people, instead of a duel. In a duel, at the end of the day you know where you stand in skill. In a free for all, there is more openings in a person's defense because they have to be on guard against 3 other people.

Finally, the evidence they are using is your posting count. You haven't had the opportunity to play anyone serious, so if someone from this site does come to your FFA tournament. They would either clean sweep you, or multiple people would grudge him and it would turn your event into a royal 3 vs 1.

Battlecow

Play to Win
Well explained, blade. FFA's are fine for having fun, but for a tournament- with money and stuff, and where you don't know anyone so you can't impose any sort of honor code- it just wouldn't work.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
serious FFA matches

are so gay

it's 3 people all camping at the same time, and one hapless guy trying to go for the person they think is the biggest jerk

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
I focus on eliminating the worst person so I can enjoy having a nice 1 on 1 where all my beautiful combos don't get interrupted by the third person.

ballin4life

Smash Hero
A duel is a game to test who is stronger, a real match against 2 people, who place everything on the line. There shouldn't be a 3rd person who can act like a d-bag. I would love to see your argument where the game is more balanced for having 4 people, instead of a duel. In a duel, at the end of the day you know where you stand in skill. In a free for all, there is more openings in a person's defense because they have to be on guard against 3 other people.

Finally, the evidence they are using is your posting count. You haven't had the opportunity to play anyone serious, so if someone from this site does come to your FFA tournament. They would either clean sweep you, or multiple people would grudge him and it would turn your event into a royal 3 vs 1.
The game of smash ... is like a sword fight. You must think first ... before you move.

Blade689

Smash Journeyman
I actually fight with an honor system in FFAs. I basically do this:

1) Am I winning?
Yes- Fight Everyone, no need to gimp or lock people down. Don't fight the people with lower lives, bean counting damage is dumb.
No- See "2"
2) Are they a life up?
Yes- Kill them, any means possible
No- See "3"
3) Is there someone Free to fight?
Yes- Go fight that guy
No- See "1"

Its pretty easy to follow. And I normally like making the FFA games that I am in to come down to the last stock, it makes everyone fight their hardest at the end. I hate to see players get discouraged by being out of lives before others even touch their last, its pretty rude. If I have to, I normally just take all of the animosity off the weaker players by fighting the better ones. If everyone gangs up on me, then they normally have the same respect to take the life, but not grudge past that.

Blade689

Smash Journeyman
Nah, time matches come down to kill stealing. If people steal 3 kills by floating off the side with kirby and then spiking while everyone else is fighting, he'll probably get 2-4 kills before he dies himself. Time matches come down to a clock that says "beat the **** out of everyone as hard as you can....... or be a clever a-hole to win".

Stock limits people's acceptance of broken FFA tactics because they quickly realize whats going on if they are given a set amount of resources.

And Ballin, when was the last time you did a FFA match? =P =P =P. I know you like items and 200%, but come on man, nvr seen u in a FFA.

The Star King

Smash Hero
Yeah I take that back about time matches. Play FFAs on small stages so it's harder to camp. No Hyrule.

ballin4life

Smash Hero
Nah, time matches come down to kill stealing. If people steal 3 kills by floating off the side with kirby and then spiking while everyone else is fighting, he'll probably get 2-4 kills before he dies himself. Time matches come down to a clock that says "beat the **** out of everyone as hard as you can....... or be a clever a-hole to win".

Stock limits people's acceptance of broken FFA tactics because they quickly realize whats going on if they are given a set amount of resources.

And Ballin, when was the last time you did a FFA match? =P =P =P. I know you like items and 200%, but come on man, nvr seen u in a FFA.
I used to play FFA in Melee in my college dorm. Also I've probably played random FFAs ... none come to mind right now. But yeah I like 1v1 a lot better (hence why I camp until it's 1v1 time :) ).

Blade689

Smash Journeyman
doesn't count, look whats section you are in before you post that. You didn't even play free 4 alls when you were at my smash fest bro. I have played some with darth, but not a single one with you. And if ur campy, ur not playing the same game as me. =P =P

ballin4life

Smash Hero
doesn't count, look whats section you are in before you post that. You didn't even play free 4 alls when you were at my smash fest bro. I have played some with darth, but not a single one with you. And if ur campy, ur not playing the same game as me. =P =P
I had to leave kinda early that time ...

I have to camp because otherwise I get owned :laugh:

FalcognacMcDank

Smash Rookie
Interested

I'm interested in this tourney if it still hasn't happened yet. I'll be in Boulder for the next 11 days and then again in the fall if you guys have another one. Let me know.

dookdigity

Smash Journeyman
Do you guys ever go to Colorado Cutthroat tournaments? I bet we can get a good 64 tournament going at the next one. Anyone interested?

:phone:

Darth Rancorous

Smash Ace
For sure Darth. I haven't been playin too much but i'll give you a run for your money!
i wouldnt expect anything less :)

Do you guys ever go to Colorado Cutthroat tournaments? I bet we can get a good 64 tournament going at the next one. Anyone interested?

:phone:
never heard of em. the thing is, im only in denver for a couple of weeks out of the year for my job, so, if the tourney isn't during that time, i'll probably wont go lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom