• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Delzethin Offers Up Third-Party DLC Predictions

delzethinthirdpartyprediction.jpg

Smash fans love third-party characters, enough so that no matter how strange, they never fail to bring the hype. With all of the third-party character predictions abound, Delzethin has thrown his hat in the ring, following up from his previous video about first-party character predictions.

Like last video, Delzethin has three categories for his DLC candidates: front-runners, plausible picks, and conditional picks, with three potential newcomers in each section. Two characters were given spoiler warnings, as purported leaks seem to indicate that they may be playable. Both of these characters are preceded by warnings, alongside timestamps to skip to.

Delzethin follows most of the same guidelines he laid forth for first-party characters, but with one exception. For third-party characters, timing relative to major game releases tends to take a backseat to how recognizable the character is. He also argues that a recognizable character does not need decades of history. After all, Joker made his debut in 2016, but Persona 5 rapidly brought the series into the mainstream.

What third-parties would you like to see playable in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate? Are there any that you think might have a shot? We would love to hear your thoughts.

Comments

D
I don’t agree with Dragonborn in the slightest, and feel Chosen Undead from Dark Souls, Ryu from Ninja Gaiden, and Doomguy from Doom all have much better odds. Also, Minecraft Steve has the problem that it’s either him or Banjo, and Phil Spencer has already openly said multiple times he favors Banjo. Lloyd also feel unrealistic, considering that if Namco is gonna ***** out another character, it’d for sure be their favorite mascot KOS-MOS who’s already appeared in multiple crossovers. Also, no on Rayman, I just don’t see it happening. Agreed on the rest though.

I don’t agree with Dragonborn in the slightest, and feel Chosen Undead from Dark Souls, Ryu from Ninja Gaiden, and Doomguy from Doom all have much better odds. Also, Minecraft Steve has the problem that it’s either him or Banjo, and Phil Spencer has already openly said multiple times he favors Banjo. Lloyd also feel unrealistic, considering that if Namco is gonna ***** out another character, it’d for sure be their favorite mascot KOS-MOS who’s already appeared in multiple crossovers. Also, no on Rayman, I just don’t see it happening. Agreed on the rest though.
I agree for the Dragonborn and Ryu Hayabusa.
But do you really think they'd choose KOS-MOS over Lloyd ? Lloyd seems way more popular in my opnion.

D
I agree for the Dragonborn and Ryu Hayabusa.
But do you really think they'd choose KOS-MOS over Lloyd ? Lloyd seems way more popular in my opnion.
Lloyd is generally unknown by most people, and KOS-MOS is more commonly used by Bamco as a guest in cross overs and the like.

Idk where you get the metric that he’s more popular. It certainly doesn’t seem like it to me.

I personally believe Yuri Lowell would be more likely than Lloyd. Yuri is much more relevant these days with Vesperia getting its definitive edition in January. Not to mention he is widely considered to be one of the best JRPG protagonists of all time.

While he might not dual wield, he does have a very unique combat style, utilizing punchs and kicks in the middle of his combos, while also portraying a very "reckless" style with his sword that has him toss and grab it mid air.

I just don't see Lloyd and Rayman as all that likely. Especially since Rayman is a spirit and I just don't think Tales is big enough like some people think it is. I also think they're going to steer clear of highly customizable characters as well so no Dovahkiin or Steve. I think they'll stick to characters that have iconic and mostly definitive appearances.

Last edited:
Lloyd is generally unknown by most people, and KOS-MOS is more commonly used by Bamco as a guest in cross overs and the like.

Idk where you get the metric that he’s more popular. It certainly doesn’t seem like it to me.
I do agree with you when you say Lloyd is a pretty niche pick, which has always been the problem with his chances. However, I don't understand why you believe KOS-MOS to be more popular. If you are implying she is more popular due to being in a lot of crossovers, I don't think that is quite correct. The crossovers she appeared in was Namco X Capcom, Super Robot Taisen OG Saga: Endless Frontier, Super Robot Taisen OG Saga: Endless Frontier Exceed, Xenoblade 2 and project X Zone 1 and 2. Outside of Xenoblade 2, all of those games she crossed over in were games that sold less then the average Tales game, meaning these games were even more niche then the Tales series. To add on to this, Namco X Capcom, Project x zone 1 and 2 also had Tales characters included in these cross overs. So if the games she crossed over in were not more popular then the average Tales game and many of these crossovers even included Tales characters, I don't quite understand the metric you are using to say KOS-MOS is more well known.

Last edited:
D
I do agree with you when you say Lloyd is a pretty niche pick, which has always been the problem with his chances. However, I don't understand why you believe KOS-MOS to be more popular. If you are implying she is more popular due to being in a lot of crossovers, I don't think that is quite correct. The crossovers she appeared in was Namco X Capcom, Super Robot Taisen OG Saga: Endless Frontier, Super Robot Taisen OG Saga: Endless Frontier Exceed, Xenoblade 2 and project X Zone 1 and 2. Outside of Xenoblade 2, all of those games she crossed over in were games that sold less then the average Tales game, meaning these games were even more niche then the Tales series. To add on to this, Namco X Capcom, Project x zone 1 and 2 also had Tales characters included in these cross overs. So if the games she crossed over in were not more popular then the average Tales game and many of these crossovers even included Tales characters, I don't quite understand the metric you are using to say KOS-MOS is more well known.
Because you can’t just determine things through sales figures and arbitrary subjective popularity measures.

History shows that KOS-MOS is Namco’s goto character for crossovers and guest appearances, thus I don’t see why people think Lloyd would ever get in over her, when there’s literally nothing to suggest he’s even remembered anymore by most people outside of Tales fans. It sounds to me more loke wistful thinking than an objective prediction, I’m not convinced.

History shows that KOS-MOS is Namco’s goto character for crossovers and guest appearances, thus I don’t see why people think Lloyd would ever get in over her, when there’s literally nothing to suggest he’s even remembered anymore by most people outside of Tales fans. It sounds to me more loke wistful thinking than an objective prediction, I’m not convinced.
I believe people see Lloyd as a possibility due to his Mii costume last game.

They seemed to foreshadow character pics.

My Third Party DLC Predictions:

Capcom: Someone from either Monster Hunter or Resident Evil.
Bandai Namco: Someone from either Tekken or the Tales franchise.
SEGA: Another Sonic character.
Square-Enix: Dragon Quest rep.
SNK: Kyo, Terry or Nakoruru.

I think the most likely Capcom rep is Phoenix Wright. He's a recognizable character, as popular (or near as popular) as Monster Hunter and Resident Evil, he would represent a gaming genre not yet represented in Smash, and he has a history on Nintendo consoles. Maybe I'm just getting my hopes up, but that's my thought on the matter.

I would main Steve.

But honestly the characters I would like to see is funky kong and an echo fighter for little mac, Maybe king hippo or super macho man

I think the most likely Capcom rep is Phoenix Wright. He's a recognizable character, as popular (or near as popular) as Monster Hunter and Resident Evil, he would represent a gaming genre not yet represented in Smash, and he has a history on Nintendo consoles. Maybe I'm just getting my hopes up, but that's my thought on the matter.
My thoughts exactly, Phoenix Wright would've been a good choice for a 3rd party Spirit (Shantae, Shovel Knight, etc) but he is nowhere to be seen, maybe Sakurai did not want to make him a spirit to left a DLC spot open for him.

My predictions:

Capcom: X
Bamco: Tales character or kos-Mos
Sega: Tails
Square-Enix: Dragon Quest character
Tecmo Koei: Ryu Hayabusa

KOS-MOS, imo for Namco. Feel free to check out my thread on why. She's becoming very popular nowadays and even commonly discussed in the smash circle for the fighter pass.

Loved the points you made for Lloyd. I'm still keeping my fingers crossed for my boy to make it to the game! Great video and selection of characters!

I still believe we might get a character pick that no one predicted and saw coming. If Nintendo decided to pick Joker, who is quite a niche character, then I believe there might be one more surprise character pick that wasn't on anyone's mind.

I would main Steve.

But honestly the characters I would like to see is funky kong and an echo fighter for little mac, Maybe king hippo or super macho man
I read this as Funky King AS an echo fighter for Little Mac, and I just got a mental image of what that would look like and I just laughed so hard for a while. Thought I'd share

I still believe we might get a character pick that no one predicted and saw coming. If Nintendo decided to pick Joker, who is quite a niche character, then I believe there might be one more surprise character pick that wasn't on anyone's mind.
*hopes for Rhythm Heaven, with it's notably existent(?) Japanese fanbase*

I mean we are lacking an assist trophy, Mii costume or a heavy amount of new songs...

I'm a little surprised that, given the advent of Richter and Ken, he didn't talk about the potential for Sonic or Mega Man to double up with someone like Tails or Roll or Proto Man.

Surely picking KOS-MOS would conflict woth Monolift Soft's "ownership"/use(?) of the character in Xenoblade Chronicles II and as a second party developer for Nintendo?

Surely picking KOS-MOS would conflict woth Monolift Soft's "ownership"/use(?) of the character in Xenoblade Chronicles II and as a second party developer for Nintendo?
To clarify, though she was created by Monolith Soft, KOS-MOS is exclusively owned by Bandai-Namco. It is not terribly uncommon practice in Japan for the owners of an IP to respect the wishes of its creator(s), but that cultural show of deference does not extend past the personal. Bandai-Namco has a track record of allowing Monolith Soft license to use KOS-MOS whenever they ask, but Monolith Soft does not have any legal claim to her that could give rise to conflict.

To clarify, though she was created by Monolith Soft, KOS-MOS is exclusively owned by Bandai-Namco. It is not terribly uncommon practice in Japan for the owners of an IP to respect the wishes of its creator(s), but that cultural show of deference does not extend past the personal. Bandai-Namco has a track record of allowing Monolith Soft license to use KOS-MOS whenever they ask, but Monolith Soft does not have any legal claim to her that could give rise to conflict.
I mean, I get that. I didn't mean a legal conflict, just more that there is this grey area where KOS-MOS is not entirely a third party character (even if she legally is). Although she has appeared on a Nintendo console, so there's that.

I predict....

Dr. Eggman
Monster Hunter
A Dragon Quest rep; Jade???
A SNK rep; thinking either Terry (Fatal Fury), Kyo (KoF), Athena (KoF and her own games) or Nakaruru (Samurai Shodown)

Wild cards: Megaman Zero, Sub-Zero (MK), Vivi (FF IX), Cuphead

I predict....

Dr. Eggman
Monster Hunter
A Dragon Quest rep; Jade???
A SNK rep; thinking either Terry (Fatal Fury), Kyo (KoF), Athena (KoF and her own games) or Nakaruru (Samurai Shodown)

Wild cards: Megaman Zero, Sub-Zero (MK), Vivi (FF IX), Cuphead
I'm maining Steve

characters i want/ predict are
zero- megaman (yes i know he has an assist trophy), Metabee - medabots, klanoa - klanoa, and mastercheif - halo

Top Bottom