• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

DeLux's Third State of the ICs Address (ft. Call to Action)

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
Typically in this thread I like to make a big long post on how I think ICs should be played. Lately I've been noticing this thing where as far as the IC boards go, I end up giving most of the advice instead of things being a two way street. With that in mind, I'm going to attempt to avoid that and simply make this thread about a request I have.

Generally once a year I like to do a major overhaul of my gameplay. I have a break of about two months between now and my next major tournament that I plan on entering (Retribution in late October). I'm more or less looking to win one major tournament before I do that growing up thing and move on from playing the game competitively. Due to my pretty well documented issues competitively (still not over dystonia), it seems like a daunting task and I'm going to pull out all the stops that I possibly can.

That being said, this layover will give me some time to make one final push for advancing the IC metagame and look into implementing / testing things that nobody else is willing to do.

So the questions I ask of you: What direction do you want to see the ICs go? What direction should my IC gameplay go?

It leave it open ended because I'm open to any and all suggestions and I'll privately weigh out the one's that I think are good and add them to my style. I have a few ideas, but my hope is someone has something to say that I might not have thought of. If you think I have a strength, let me know. If you think I have a weakness, lay it out there for me so I can address it. If there's some topic that you think might help ICs in general that needs testing, speak now so I can look into it or I fear nobody else ever will.

This is one of those situations where I'm attempting to change direction and step my game up.

| Big D |

Smash Master
IDK applications of ISSDI could be very helpful in the future. More things to grab would be make ICs that much better.

TheSaintKai

Smash Ace
I agree with Big D, learning what moves we can effectively ISSDI and net grabs from would be incredibly helpful for people willing to put in the work to doing it.

Aside from that though, I'd love you to push the desynced game as far as you can possibly do it.
Learning percentages that things like P - dtilt to N - Ice Block reset or P Nair to N Ice Block reset would be helpful as well, although I can conjecture those percentages and make estimates.

A writeup on item desyncs and derivatives therein would help us against characters like TL, Diddy, and ZSS.

Making a list of moves that dash grab cannot punish but f-tilt can would be ****ing sweet.

Crackle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ZZZobac
Wish it was this easy to ask for what to add to gameplay.

You probably do this plenty, but converting situations where chaingrab will be interrupted into ones they wont is always interesting. Also interesting is the physical game ics have at times where the opponent is ready for grabs.

But the real focus I think is interesting and important is dealing with the opponent characters' typical baits to split up ics. Antis MK is a great example of this. He uses platforms and tornado exclusively. Gluttony uses a lot of options dealt with by pivot grab, perhaps all warios currently do. Furthermore, falcos and dededes seem to be showing surprising leverage with their throws, and esams pikachu has great upb setups. Maybe there are ways to make these options fall to the dust. Ally himself probably would take a book to use ics on consistently, and it probably would be very revealing to figure that out.

Top Bottom