• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Deleting projectiles?

ASAP_Smash

Smash Cadet
So I noticed that Mario, and doc can comepletely delete any non-electric projectiles on the early frames of nair without burning the hitbox. This happens up to 13% before the nair the projectile beats out the nair. Mario and Doc do not take any damage when “deleting” projectiles. There is no clanking noise/animation. The late frames cannot of nair cannot “delete” projectiles.

Is there a name for this phenomenon? Who else can do this?

Last edited:

Arrei

Smash Lord
Although aerials can't normally clank with other attacks, they gained the ability to "clank" with projectiles within the normal clanking damage threshold in the previous game. They still don't have a recoil state like when ground attacks clank though, so they merely continue as they are while the clanking projectiles are destroyed.

ASAP_Smash

Smash Cadet
Although aerials can't normally clank with other attacks, they gained the ability to "clank" with projectiles within the normal clanking damage threshold in the previous game. They still don't have a recoil state like when ground attacks clank though, so they merely continue as they are while the clanking projectiles are destroyed.
That’s dope. It’s like armor, but for projectiles. Thanks for the info!

Windfall

Smash Rookie
What does clanking mean? And recoil state? Is that like when two characters trade jabs at the exact same time and it cancels each other out?

Arrei

Smash Lord
Yes. Ground moves make both characters flinch back when that happens, but aerial moves do not get canceled and do not cancel other moves, except for deleting projectiles.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
It's called priority. Other characters can do this as well. Ganondorf's forward aerial can stop Charge Shot.

Arrei

Smash Lord
Calling it "priority" is a misnomer, since clanking is decided entirely by damage dealt, while traditional fighting game priority mechanics are pretty uncommon in Smash, only showing up in things like Smash 4 Corrin's Fsmash or Bayonetta's smashes, where they had low priority and lost to other hitboxes even outside of normal clanking range. Since clanking is damage-based, Ganon's Fair at 18% damage shouldn't be able to cancel a fresh, fully-charged Charge Shot at 28% damage, but if Charge Shot has staled and Fair has not, then suddenly his fist will punch the shot right out of existence.

MarioManTAW

Smash Ace
Calling it "priority" is a misnomer, since clanking is decided entirely by damage dealt, while traditional fighting game priority mechanics are pretty uncommon in Smash, only showing up in things like Smash 4 Corrin's Fsmash or Bayonetta's smashes, where they had low priority and lost to other hitboxes even outside of normal clanking range. Since clanking is damage-based, Ganon's Fair at 18% damage shouldn't be able to cancel a fresh, fully-charged Charge Shot at 28% damage, but if Charge Shot has staled and Fair has not, then suddenly his fist will punch the shot right out of existence.
While priority may not matter for typical hitboxes, I believe there is such a thing as "projectile priority" where projectiles will be beaten out by attacks not typically stronger than them. I believe Olimar's directional aerials in Smash 4 had this property and tended to lose trades as a result.

Arrei

Smash Lord
I did hear about that, but I think I remember it being on all his Pikmin attacks. Did his aerials have a unique property of being able to be canceled unlike other aerials in the game?

Top Bottom