• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Deformed fingers from video games/computer use

Status
Not open for further replies.

Overload

Smash Lord
Some are saying kids' fingers can become deformed from playing video games/using the computer/other activities(listed on website) at an early age. What does everyone think of this? All I know is my fingers resemble some of the pictures they have up, though that doesn't mean anything if those fingers are, in fact, normal.
Here are some links.
main page
http://www.miketomich.com/
computer
http://www.miketomich.com/Alyssa-marked.html
video games
http://www.miketomich.com/Whitney_marked.html

where I heard of this
http://kotaku.com/5191232/some-guy-games-will-deform-your-childrens- fingers

I'm guessing very many people have some type of finger deformation if this is true. I'd say the years of gaming outweigh the finger deformations.

Here's a news segment on it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKLiThENVRU

GoldShadow

Marsilea quadrifolia
BRoomer
Bunch of nonsense, that's all.

Also, it's not a "study", it's random pieces of "evidence" that some madman has collected.

slave1

Smash Lord
this is the biggest lie some parent came up with to scare their child.

for one. that pinky thing, where it it is slightly crooked, is genetic.

this kinda pisses me off. idiots.

Firus

You know what? I am good.
BRoomer
NNID
OctagonalWalnut
3DS FC
0619-4291-4974
her parents computer
I stopped reading when I saw they didn't take the time to proofread. Needs moar possessive apostrophe.

I'm fairly sure this is a load of nonsense. And yet another "strike" against video games which morons will believe.

SuperBowser

Smash Lord
I think a reputable source would have noticed by now if there actually was a correlation between deformed hands and videogames.

We wouldn't be reading it from a nutty website.

1UPChris

Smash Journeyman
About the pinky shape...

I learned that type of stuff is genetic. Shapes and angles of fingers are all determined in the womb and in early, early age.

Overload

Smash Lord
It's sad too. That girl in the news clip quit video games because she thinks they messed up her fingers. It's not like her fingers would become straight from not playing anymore anyways.

Mith_

Smash Champion
^Iknorite

Its not like you quit smoking or something like that. Your hands prolly won't go back to the way they were, may even get worst from the sudden change of environment lol.

zrky

Smash Lol'd
Not only will someone's fingers rarely be straight, but also it could have been from something else that the kids did, and then it was blamed on video games because the parents didn't like video games.

Sad sad parents, and it's usually american parents:(

Overload

Smash Lord
Not only will someone's fingers rarely be straight, but also it could have been from something else that the kids did, and then it was blamed on video games because the parents didn't like video games.

Sad sad parents, and it's usually american parents:(
Don't forget, the site also mentions coloring and I think something else as a cause. I wouldn't go saying it's just trying to attack video games, although it could be and perhaps is throwing that in there as a sort of cover up, but who knows.

1UPChris

Smash Journeyman
Don't forget, the site also mentions coloring and I think something else as a cause. I wouldn't go saying it's just trying to attack video games, although it could be and perhaps is throwing that in there as a sort of cover up, but who knows.
I think the parents are trying to get their child away from video games, but at the same time trying to convince people that they're not trying to stop their child from playing them by saying that coloring and other activities that require your hands also affect The angle your fingers are.

...^That was one long run-on sentence.

SuperRacoon

Smash Journeyman
This site is just another crazy conspiracy site. This one happens to promotes fear of computers, art, and (apparently) Japanese vehicles. Nonsense like this should either be ignored or ridiculed to no end. Seriously, coloring is a health hazard? That might well end up being the most WTF moment of the year.

Pikaville

Pikaville returns 10 years later.
I hate people who blame video games for their kids f**k ups.

THEIR FINGERS ARE F****D UP BECAUSE YOUR GENES ARE F****D UP!

KREMLIN_PAID_TROLL

Smash Rookie
AAAAAAAAAH SCREW VIDEO GAMES! MY FINGERS ARE NOW BENT AND TOOK ME 30 MINUTES TO TYPE THIS! BEWARE ANYONE PLAYING VIDEOGAMES, PRO COD GAMERS WEAR PROTECTION! WEAR YOUR PROTECTION!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom