• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Defend the Title - Little Mac Main Social Thread

Zoramine Fae

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2895-8088-7214
Alright thanks ill give it a try!
If you need more specifics...

Down Tilt into Jolt Haymaker at low percents works well as an OoS option since Down Tilt is so fast.

Fast fallers can get hit by two or three down tilts maximum and then a Jolt Haymaker for maximum damage at 0%. Same goes for MOST heavyweights, barring Bowser who can get by only two from my testing before they can airdodge out if they are lucky.

Medium weights get hit by two before being forced out of it. Lightweights only can get hit once, and it goes to around 40% against them.

Up Tilt works similarly, although it combos better into Rising Uppercut but one or two at low percents due to it hitting on both sides and in some occasions being more practical than Down Tilt will work into Jolt.

Jolt Haymaker covers about half of Final Destination if you don't attack, so if you use Side B when about at the middle of the stage it's alright to delay it. If a bit closer, about 1/3rd or a bit farther from the ledge, IMMEDIATELY press the special button to do the punch and decrease the total range of the attack. It sucks to not know the distance on other stages, but you can just do testing for that.

You also can do a fake out where you dash in and act like you will Dash Attack, then if they roll backwards do a Jolt Haymaker behind you. You'll be safe if they shield, roll away, or spotdodge since you just gave yourself positioning with the Jolt Haymaker and if they roll in, it's a free hit for you.

Hope this helps as well.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Sol found some new tech for Little Mac the other day while labbing with J.A.P.A.N. Looks interesting to say the least.
Are you talking about that tech with R.O.B?

I saw the video as well and it's pretty useful despite we limited ROB players out there

CrimsonRick117

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CrimsonRick117
3DS FC
1392-5848-4597
It makes the MU easier but it's really situational and most ROB players I see rarely allow their Gyros in their opponents hand
Exactly my point a good ROB player won't sit there and let Mac just take the Gyro, most of the time their applying pressure with the gyro or lasers while approaching Mac so there won't be time to just walk on up and grab it.

TrapOnLotus

Smash Apprentice
NNID
StrapOnFetus
However, in regards to the Rob situational thing. Down throw above Rob with Gyro in hand, will lead into Up B even at Kill %. Very handy to know.

inconspikuous

Smash Journeyman
didn't see the stream/vids. what was the tech? how do they use the gyro? was it the down thrown gyro to upB?

Wnyke

Smash Cadet
Sooooo... I'm not sure if this is in the right place...
anyway...

I'm looking for a little mac user training buddy, or just general advice about facing little mac as Robin... the thing is I always get crushed by little mac, and end up needing to counterpick character, but I would like to know if there is something I should be punishing that I'm not, or the way I'm approaching is not the aproppriate vs little mac...

anyway if someone is interested let me know... I use the following characters if you need some sparring vs them in return... Robin, Charizard, Lucina, DDD...

Zoramine Fae

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2895-8088-7214
Sooooo... I'm not sure if this is in the right place...
anyway...

I'm looking for a little mac user training buddy, or just general advice about facing little mac as Robin... the thing is I always get crushed by little mac, and end up needing to counterpick character, but I would like to know if there is something I should be punishing that I'm not, or the way I'm approaching is not the aproppriate vs little mac...

anyway if someone is interested let me know... I use the following characters if you need some sparring vs them in return... Robin, Charizard, Lucina, DDD...
I'd be glad to spar against a fellow player. Only if you're 3ds, though, since I have access to no Wii Us.

Ganonballer

Smash Rookie
NNID
Ganonballer
Sup boys, I main Mac and I place well and occasionally win our locals here in Pensacola! Just thought id stop by to say hey and introduce myself. I hope the Mac boards are more active than the other char boards here. The forums in general don't seems as active in the Smash 4 days, not like Brawl and Melee were, anyways.

I mainly play offline at this point and Ive got a crew of guys where I live that practice on a regular basis. Im the only mac ofc. I am ranked in Pensacola as 3rd as of last PR but we have a lot more players in our region now seeing as how much my group and others here have grown our Smash 4 scene in the last 8 months! So our new PR will have many new faces. I am one of our better players and I love playing mac!

jet56

Smash Journeyman
Yeah this character boards isn't super active (im proabably the most active member here tbh), but we don't mind helping out other mac mains and having various conversations.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Sadly, it will never be as active as other character boards such as the Robin one.
Those boards aren't eve as active as it was last year considering all its most notable members moved the Corrin Social or Cloud Social

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
Those boards aren't eve as active as it was last year considering all its most notable members moved the Corrin Social or Cloud Social
The Cloud social isn't very active either. The Corrin social is barely active since most users goes back and forth between that and the Robin social.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
The Cloud social isn't very active either. The Corrin social is barely active since most users goes back and forth between that and the Robin social.
There's always the Zelda Social, Link Social and Bayonetta Social but the latter is just filled with people coming in and saying she's broken now

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
There's always the Zelda Social, Link Social and Bayonetta Social but the latter is just filled with people coming in and saying she's broken now
The Rosalina sub-forum has been pretty empty itself, and not just in the social department; the match-up threads are quite void of any discussions too.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
The Rosalina sub-forum has been pretty empty itself, and not just in the social department; the match-up threads are quite void of any discussions too.
Aside from Cloud, Sheik and Bayonetta, Rosa has about almost all the matchups in her favor.

It's really just who has the better chance against her most cases

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Aside from Cloud, Sheik and Bayonetta, Rosa has about almost all the matchups in her favor.

It's really just who has the better chance against her most cases
The sad part is that this is the week that Rosalina finally analyzes Cloud, Corrin, and Bayonetta, which was overdue for quite a while. Of course, everyone has to have his or her turn.

Aeons_Ahead

Smash Rookie
Hi everyone! I wanna introduce myself since I plan on being more active here. I'm Æon, considered the best Mac in New England. You can even ask J.A.P.A.N.! My recent highlights have been placing 17th at Super Smash on the Hill after placing 1st in my pool and at the most recent weekly 2-0'ing Marss on Winner's Side.

Ulevo

Smash Master
Hi.

Could the Little Mac mains present please inform me on the kill confirms Little Mac has? I know down tilt into K.O. Punch is one. But what other options do you have available. Do you have any kill confirms from throws? What about down tilt to Rising Uppercut? Is that true?

AxelVDP

Smash Apprentice
Hi.

Could the Little Mac mains present please inform me on the kill confirms Little Mac has? I know down tilt into K.O. Punch is one. But what other options do you have available. Do you have any kill confirms from throws? What about down tilt to Rising Uppercut? Is that true?
I don't know about the exact % ranges but here are a few things that work
dtilt -> upB is pretty reliable at most %s (up untill the 160s% on characters like captain falcon for example) BUT can be DIed out at higher %s (tho good luck trying to DI correctly a f3 move when the same kind of DI will result in your death against a lot of other common options like f4 ftilt)
jab (1/2) -> upB works at really high %s (basically the %s when dtilt becomes less reliable)
back hitbox of nair -> upB works at high %s but it's basically not an usable thing
utilt -> upB works with no DI (and I also believe a little rage) on really high platforms

out of grab we don't have anything guaranteed
there's like dthrow -> upB but it requires terrible DI on the opponents part and you have to execute the upB immediatly, without having time to react to the opponent and if you miss you will get punished hard, for this reason you don't see most Macs going for it if not on rare occasions
other things to look out for are dthrow/uthrow -> dair jablock under platforms if you miss your tech
there's also fthrow -> dair jablock at low %s but it's not terribly hard to tech and you most likely will die only if the Mac has the KO punch

(actually, there are a few other ways to setup jablocks with Mac that can result in a KO punch death, but they are mostly situationals at best)

Last edited:

PHYTO-1

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PHYTO-1
Hi.

dthrow > KO punch works on fastfallers. most notably bayonetta.
dair > trip > KO punch > Lol
grab release on jigglypuff > uppercut. unless she uses rest. then just kill her anyway

there are quite a few but they mostly consist of dtilt

jab (1/2) -> upB works at really high %s (basically the %s when dtilt becomes less reliable)
i believe jab 1/2 is frame negative. every character can simply jump + airdodge out of it. while it is reliable, i wouldn't list it under kill confirms.

On a different note. I've come to like dtilt/utilt > uair. or just chasing with aerials in general. conditioning opponents to airdodge. when the time is right bait the airdodge as they land -- with an empty jump -- then kill them with an upsmash while theyre suffering for the lag. typically use uair in that % range where dtilt > side b no longer connects.

segue to my next concept. mac as a tech chaser.
dtilt > side b will often cause a tech read situation. as does ftilt, dtilt > fair, down fsmash, fthrow, dtilt/utilt/dthrow > footstool-no jab lock (DI / weight dependent ofc). and probably other moves.
Combined with LM's speed and Perfect pivoting, get good at reacting to techs and you can pull off maybe one or two more tech read situations until their % is too high.

third concept. option selects. i've never seen anyone talk about these kind of techs at all, anywhere. theyre very useful. if you're fond of other fighting games where memorizing button combos is something you're good at - then consider Option Selects as inputs for a move. here's a video of a ZSS option select https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CS2suI4RTB4 --that input also works with Little Mac.
here's another example with something i'm sure a lot of done. whiffed dtilt into whiffed KO punch. you whiff the dtilt but you're so tense that you jump the gun and go for the KO punch. by doing dtilt > dash > dash > special button : KO punch will only activate when dtilt connects. with dtilt whiffs, then mac will empty dash. when dtilt connects the hitlag will eat through the dash inputs and go straight to the special button input. when dtilt whiffs the dash inputs will cancel the special button input because you cannot perform a special move while in the initial dash animation. so thinks of the following button combo as a move called " Dtilt into KO punch, but if Dtilt misses then its just a dash "
> :GCD:+:GCA:,:GCR:,:GCR:,:GCB:

here's another example with "Perfect counters" or " If Perfect Shield then counter, but if otherwise just a shield drop then spotdodge "
>:GCRT:,:GCD:+:GCB:
gif examples of perfect counters

i don't blame you if you didn't understand my explanation for option selects. these are just ideas i've been implementing into my little mac playstyle. if you're looking to take your playstyle into a different direction then definitely try these out. at least the first two if anything.

AxelVDP

Smash Apprentice
i believe jab 1/2 is frame negative. every character can simply jump + airdodge out of it. while it is reliable, i wouldn't list it under kill confirms.
I haven't done intensive testing with human players so you might be right, BUT it counted as a combo while in training mode at very high %s -- at around 110% or so (depends on the character)

PHYTO-1

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PHYTO-1
I haven't done intensive testing with human players so you might be right, BUT it counted as a combo while in training mode at very high %s -- at around 110% or so (depends on the character)
the true combo counter can be iffy. rethrowing the same banana at someone while they're in the tripped-state regardless of time in between will keep the counter going.

yes, i have tested this. most chars can either just jump or airdodge or even attack (luigi nairs always get me). from what i recall- bowser jr is the only char that cannot escape either jab1 or jab 2 due to poor frame data

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
I love Little Mac mainly because I like boxing in general. It's my favorite fighting sport.

Contrast_94

Smash Rookie
Hey everyone I'm Contrast a dedicated Mac main and I'm new to Smash boards. Little Mac is my main and I play smart, patient and technical with Little Mac while still trying to do what is most optimal. I joined so I can learn more about the character, play some of you guys and help other Mac mains with some tricks I learned about the character.

Pizzalover346

Smash Rookie
NNID
Pizzalover346
3DS FC
3024-8124-3542
Hey I need a sparring buddy don't care who you play just spar with me!

PHYTO-1

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PHYTO-1

first clip is a kill using ony the first hit of up b- which is then cancelled into a ledge grab. combining rage and smash charge vulnerability. its just for fun.

second clip is jab 1,2,3 into suicide side b with rage. ive actually pulled this off on sheik and dedede before. probably cuz of their fall speed. just decided to use lucas to save time uploading replays.

Top Bottom