• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

DEDEDE HAALLLPP

dg-pilz-e

Smash Cadet
I get absoulutely destroyed by Dedede
Not sure if it is just a losing match up or i am completely playing it wrong but i definitely need to change something.
Anyone have any tips or overall MU experience they would like to share?

FreeGamer

Smash Ace
What exactly do you find yourself struggling with? Range, minions, edgeguarding, some mix of the 3?

dg-pilz-e

Smash Cadet
What exactly do you find yourself struggling with? Range, minions, edgeguarding, some mix of the 3?

Kind of a mix of all three, I try not to approach him too much but if i'm down a stock then i don't really have a choice so getting through the minions and his ridiculous range is awful

Edge guarding him i'm not terrible at but tips on this would be sweet because sometimes it results in me dying instead because i feel like i had to over extend in that situation to even the game up.

FreeGamer

Smash Ace
Range: If you're losing and your typical bait/punish game doesn't work, there are 2 things you can do... Either rush him with one of your burst options when he's open, or try to play footies with his disjoint using your F-Air/B-Air/Hammer. Crouch camping or going for grabs in neutral will only get you grabbed by his godlike grab range, and going for Inhale will get you stuck in lag from eating a minion.

Minions: Did I mention not to use Inhale? Because you definitely shouldn't use it, unless you like getting hit during that 1-second eating animation. I find it works best to treat the minions like beach balls, and swat them away with well-timed SHFFL F-Airs or N-Airs, sometimes a regular Final Cutter. If you only shield them, they'll walk around and you might get caught off-guard by their occasional attacks. Not fun.

Edgeguarding: This is where you should challenge him to a Hammer duel. Both hits challenge his range fairly well, and it's especially sweet if you get him with the second swing. Considering his minion-AGT and the distance of his recovery, I would not recommend Kirbycide against him unless you're winning by at least 2 lives. B-Air, D-Air, and Final Cutter can work well too, but I've found myself benefiting from Hammer's range more than anything.

Take this with a grain of salt, since I'm not remotely a high level player. :p

dg-pilz-e

Smash Cadet
Range: If you're losing and your typical bait/punish game doesn't work, there are 2 things you can do... Either rush him with one of your burst options when he's open, or try to play footies with his disjoint using your F-Air/B-Air/Hammer. Crouch camping or going for grabs in neutral will only get you grabbed by his godlike grab range, and going for Inhale will get you stuck in lag from eating a minion.

Minions: Did I mention not to use Inhale? Because you definitely shouldn't use it, unless you like getting hit during that 1-second eating animation. I find it works best to treat the minions like beach balls, and swat them away with well-timed SHFFL F-Airs or N-Airs, sometimes a regular Final Cutter. If you only shield them, they'll walk around and you might get caught off-guard by their occasional attacks. Not fun.

Edgeguarding: This is where you should challenge him to a Hammer duel. Both hits challenge his range fairly well, and it's especially sweet if you get him with the second swing. Considering his minion-AGT and the distance of his recovery, I would not recommend Kirbycide against him unless you're winning by at least 2 lives. B-Air, D-Air, and Final Cutter can work well too, but I've found myself benefiting from Hammer's range more than anything.

Take this with a grain of salt, since I'm not remotely a high level player. :p

Thanks for the tips! i'll defs try out this strat to see if it works any better.
I find that i lose to players with a very campy playstyle, and his minion camping kinda wrecks me.

Omadon

Internal Combustion Power
Ha. You are not alone in this. There's a fraudulent-ass DDD at my weeklies who literally just camps. They're so ****ing big! His projectiles are the size of Kirby >.>

That said. Grab him. Grab him and techchase him. Rack up whatever you can that way and then abuse how well FAir combos him. I can often get FAir>FAir strings on him as he's so heavy. Also - work on doing aerials so you specifically land behind him. I know this is pretty standard logic but his OOS options suck when he can't grab you. Plus DDDs NAir out of shield tends to go a little too high because you're so tiny. Tbh - I've hit the point where I'm tempted to just time the ****** out ledgecamping if I get a lead. Another thing I'd mention is you can DAir his recovery pretty well if he goes low, and you can often keep above where he's going to land if he's doing it onto the stage and then come down with DAir>UTilt>Something. FThrow also chains pretty well into FAir at most percents. Lots of the kills I get are from getting a little above him when he's off the stage and chaining FAir off screen. The startup on most of his moves is way too slow to stop you.

Honestly though. I think its best to just pick up a pocket Shriek or something. I ****ing hate this matchup. I body every other character this guy plays hands down and then slowly but surely blunt my teeth on his DDD.

Oh, while I think about it - I've had quite a bit of succes dash attacking off platforms between his projectile spam (as its pretty slow) so you land behind him into UTilt or something. UTilt>Pivot Grab works pretty well at low percents. Might come back and edit this after Thursday when I inevitably wind up doing this all over again. .__.

Last edited:

Omadon

Internal Combustion Power
Ooh! Also. While swallowcides don't really work on him. 10% is not to be sniffed at. Train him to think you're going to try to land behind him so he holds his shield and then mix it up with just swallow>spit. Getting him to the point where FAir can kill with the last hit off stage is super important.

Top Bottom