• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Deconfirmed characters that keep you salty?

UserKev

Smash Champion
What is a character you honestly can't stop being somewhat salty over? To summarize, this is a topic where users can positively share feelings for once fairly likely characters.

I understand that Smash is just a game, but sometimes its more complicated. There is just some characters I would really like to see playable in Smash's format. Smash is a really magical game, so its hard not to be a little butthurt. I'm still salty over Mimikyu. I'm also salty Cranky Kong isn't playable.

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
Pretty much just Waluigi and Tingle. Shantae would've been cool but I've never played her games.

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Shadow, literally that's it.

Echo fighters were the perfect chance to bring him in but that didn't happen.

Gryphon827

Smash Apprentice
For me, my two most wanted characters (Viridi and Tails) are spirits, which assumably means deconfirmation. We still have yet to see anyone turn from a spirit into a DLC character.

Edit: Nvm, there's still a chance.

Last edited:

Oddball

Smash Lord
Given all the awesome characters that have made it into the game who I never expected to see, i can't be upset just because a few of them didn't make it.

Besides, they gave us a great Simon. He was probabaly my number 2 choice for a newcomer and they did him perfectly.

Nesysli

Smash Apprentice
Not salty but I'd like to see Zero from Mega Man X be a playable character one day. Krystal would be cool too.

xzx

Smash Lord
Paper Mario, Chibi-Robo and Bomberman. Everytime a newcomer from the Super Mario series enters the fray it's always not Paper Mario. Honestly it's bugging me.

There's always hope for him joining in the future, since it was recently confirmed that more DLC fighters are on their way. =)

Ark of Silence101

Smash Master
NNID
ArkofSilence
Switch FC
8431-6297-7122
Honestly the one that still baffles me is Shadow, like echo fighters were the golden opportunity to put him in yet they didn't, like why?(on another note, pls get some rest Daddy Sakurai)

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Bandana Dee and Master Chief. Dee is a spirit and I'm guessing that's enough for DLC wave 1, and MC was deconfirmed by Microsoft employees.

I honestly don't see one good reason why either of them shouldn't be in the game. I feel like both of them were missed opportunities to be in Smash, especially since we got characters like Isabelle and Chrom in the base game.

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I’m more salty that the character I‘ve wanted the most since the first Smash, is unknown to Sakurai and his team. Don’t know if that will change soon, since StarTropics is one of the only 1st party games that haven’t reached japan.

Unless they download the NES Switch Onlin and play it. But it’ll be hard for them to get invested in half a text-heavy game in a foreign language / half action game.

Edit: but I’m really happy with the roster. Sakurai had given me Sonic, Megaman, Little Mac, Cloud, Ryu, Ken, Simon, Richter, Hero, Pokemon Trainer, and now Terry.

Last edited:

Sebas22

Smash Journeyman
Here's the problem: Is Porky deconfirmed? We have the Absolutely Safe Capsule spirit in the game, but does it represent him or is just the object? No boss battle, no costume. Nothing for the Mother anniversary. Where is he?

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
Isaac, Shadow, Bomberman, Ghirahim, Takamaru, and maybe Ashley
I forgot Bomberman. I've wanted him in the game for quite a while. I wanted Rayman at one point, but I've only played one Rayman game and one Bomberman game, and I'm sure neither character would draw significantly from either game. Ubisoft pretty much abandoned everything from Rayman 1 starting with 2 onward.

Bomberman, at least, I'm confident would be fun to play even if it wasn't much Bomberman Hero material just because it's fun to blow stuff up.

Gyrom8

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-4844-4242-3130
Only my top three most wanted could I say I'm salty about

I don't think Skull Kid has some God-given right to be in the game, especially as he's just one of many Zelda one-offs, but it does play in to my wider salt about the Zelda roster

Paper Mario I'm not massively salty about, but would the very least like to see more Paper Mario content in the game (remixes etc.)

Rayman? Yeah, I'm salty about - it's not fun when a character you want is the subject of a major fake leak and when all he seems likely to get is just a trophy or a spirit

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I'm not really salty about any character that I wanted that became a Spirit, Assist Trophy, or a Mii costume especially since I got K. Rool, Ridley, and Banjo & Kazooie in this game. Goemon was one of my most wanted and I thought I would never see him in Smash in any form and I was thrilled as hell to see him get a Mii costume as I would have never expected that in million years.

UserKev

Smash Champion
Eh. Its illogical to be salty over recurring characters because they ultimately have 2nd chances. Characters like Ghirahim are more stressful because they are more hit or miss.

Lenidem

Smash Lord
I never really thought that Skull Kid, my most wanted character since pre-Melee, had a chance. Until pre-Ultimate. Who had this dumb idea to show the Moon assist-trophy but to hide Skull Kid until the end of the last direct, while showing Isabelle and Dark Samus getting promoted?! THAT gave me the hope I never dared to have before only to crush it, so yeah, I'm kinda salty about how it happened.

Shadow was in the same boat, except that he was even more likely due to his potential as an Echo. But I don't play Sonic games so I don't really care.

Last edited:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
  • Waluigi - Self-explanatory.
  • Ashley - This one hurt the most for me. All this hype for her and she just gets randomly shown during the assist trophy showcase in the August 2018 Smash Direct.
  • Kyo Kusanagi - His deconfirmation was more expected than the others but damn he practically had the Smash invite in his hand in Terry's trailer.
  • Rex - I didn't care about Xenoblade 2 at the time his mii costume was revealed, but now that I got into the game seeing this reveal hurts.

Lamperouge

Drifting Soul
I'm not really salty about it and find the roster near perfect as is, but Rex getting the Mii costume treatment was a massive bummer for me back when it was revealed. Skull Kid and Shantae not making the cut for the base roster was pretty disappointing, too, but I feel like the latter has a legit chance at making it in now alongside Rex.

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
I'm not really salty about it and find the roster near perfect as is, but Rex getting the Mii costume treatment was a massive bummer for me back when it was revealed. Skull Kid and Shantae not making the cut for the base roster was pretty disappointing, too, but I feel like the latter has a legit chance at making it in now alongside Rex.
You're not of the mind that spirits are a deconfirmation, then?

RouffWestie

Smash Lord
Tetris representation moreso than a character. No stage, no assist trophy, just 2 songs. Bonus points for Puyo Puyo likely getting a character, stage, music, and spirits before Tetris gets anything more than those 2 songs, and making Tetris deemed unnecessary by the everyone for the rest of time because Smash will, "already have a puzzle rep."

Last edited:

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
My most wanted character is Midna, and she's currently an assist trophy for the second time. Though I wouldn't say she should be playable, as a Zelda fan I have been waiting for a while to get a unique newcomer that isn't some form of the big three. Midna is arguably one of the most popular characters that fits that description. Even more so now that Link, Zelda, and Ganondorf are no longer in their TP designs making TP the only major Zelda title without a playable character atm (of course discounting alts based on TP designs).

There's also Elma but nobody seems to agree what her spirit means for the character as far as her chances go but considering Rex has an ungodly amount of support Elma is just being overlooked as a result.

TheYungLink

Smash Lord
The Hero not having the female counterparts to the Dragon Quest III and IV protagonists really hurt. Those two games are some of the most important when it came to normalizing the idea of selecting your gender for the main character of a game, and in Smash only the male counterparts are playable. I know a few female friends who loved Dragon Quest that were pretty devastated to see that they were absent when The Hero joined Smash.

For a more traditional "not even a character in the game" example, I've always been sad that we consistently miss out on a unique new Zelda character ever since Melee, since Toon Link was another (albeit needed by that point) Link clone. A unique version of Ganon or Ganondorf that doesn't somewhat resemble another character on the roster (Captain Falcon) has been a longtime want, but even in Smash Ultimate, which has spirits of multiple versions of Ganon, the one I want to see the most, the A Link to the Past version, doesn't have a spirit at all.

Soyaccino

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
I prayed for Skull Kid.
I get that he’s in a lesser played Zelda game but I really wanted him in this. Furthermore because I still think villains are significantly under represented.
Considering the weight of the franchise. I generally expected more Zelda based villains and characters (that aren’t link). Even Sheik and Zelda used to be one character.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Toad.
Got absolutely ****ed by being included in Peach's moveset.

Meanwhile we get smaller Mario characters in Dr. Mario, Daisy, Rosalina and arguably Jr. and the Koopalings making the cut, not to mention Piranha Plant.

We're talking a character who starred in his own games, is omnipresent in Mario games and a staple character used by Nintendo for advertising.

The fact we haven't got Toad still is both perplexing and irritating. He should have debuted in Brawl at least, or we should have gotten Captain Toad now.

Dude has had a successful game with two ports, and deemed worth giving both DLC and the LABO treatment that only Mario Odyssey, Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild and Smash received.

Add on to them the success that Toadette has had recently being the first spinoff character to truly get integrated into the main Mario platformer as the player 4, and I'm flummoxed why we haven't even had a Mario clone Toad already. He IS one of the biggest faces of Nintendo.

Paper Mario and Waluigi to a lesser extent too. Waluigi is at least on Daisy's level and Paper has a more successful franchise than Doc...

Aside from the Mario gang: Dixie Kong, Isaac and Bandana Dee surprise me with their lack of inclusion at this point.

NurpNurp

Smash Journeyman
I'm going to echo everyone in this thread and say Shadow because there's really no reason he isn't in the game. Past that, I'm still a bit salty that neither Magnus nor Phosphora are playable but I'm not gonna hold my breath for them

I was also a bit upset at the deconfirmation of the Gardevoir/Gothitelle leak because generations 3 and 5 are literally the only ones with no fighter representation

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
Waluigi, poor Sakurai doesn't deserve the harresment he got from the fans.
Btw Spirits don't decomfirm characters. (Waiting for Poochy and Bandana as DLC soon.)

Last edited:

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
Waluigi, you'd think he'd finally get in after being an assist trophy for over ten years. Nope, he's back in the same old role he's always been. His assist trophy reveal really put me in a bad mood and it was the worst part about the E3 Smash presentation in my eyes. Ashley is the same to a lesser degree. After Waluigi was down I put my chips on Ashley and she got revealed as an assist trophy in the next direct. Like damn, I was off the mark twice in a row and it really sucked.

LunarScribe0

Smash Rookie
Surprised there haven't been any mentions of Shovel Knight.
It's cool to see indie characters represented as an assist trophy (Shovel Knight) and a Mii costume (Sans), but I would have loved for Shovel Knight to join the roster as the first indie fighter.

Technourgos

Smash Cadet
"Deconfirm" isn't a word.

I couldn't care less. The choice of characters people mention are often the same anyway, and I don't think we need every or most characters from a series. All we need are the bare minimum. It's not in my hands to decide, but if everyone is entitled to an opinion, so am I.

Dee Dude

“Never ask Dee for anything again”
3DS FC
0576-7674-5319
Honestly? Waluigi and Shadow.

-Both are extremely popular and well known characters, have crossed over before in the Olympic series, and appeared playable in several recent spin-offs like Aces and Team Racing so I don’t know why they’re not in Smash yet.

-Both have been stuck as Assists for three games straight.

-Shadow was literally the perfect echo fighter and was almost considered a lock:

-Knuckles was shown first.
-:ultdarksamus: (an upgraded AT) & :ultdarkpit: (formally just a clone) implying that edgy counterparts are mostly promoted to Echoes.
-:ultrichter:&:ultken: confirmed that 3rd Parties can get Echoes while :ultsonic: which was an iconic franchise that’s been since Brawl got zilch.

-It seems like Sakurai wanted to add every single major Mario character except Waluigi and Toad while at the same time adding :ultdoc: & :ultpiranha: in favor.....

Any other character I want is simply a matter of missing the boat but Waluigi & Shadow’s exclusion just feel irritating at this point.

UserKev

Smash Champion
"Deconfirm" isn't a word.

I couldn't care less. The choice of characters people mention are often the same anyway, and I don't think we need every or most characters from a series. All we need are the bare minimum. It's not in my hands to decide, but if everyone is entitled to an opinion, so am I.
Disconfirmed?

Top Bottom