• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Decisive Games NewD3 Mafia (GAME OVER!)

LaserGuy

Smash Ace
Micro reads with minimal reasoning:

Town:
LaserGuy
Swiss - Active, thoughtful, re-evaluating
Eido - Scapegoat
bessie - Townie tone
wam - Townie vibes

somitomi - Null
Maven - Null

Sabrar - Engagement level seems lower than what I've seen recently
fonti - Scum until proven otherwise
Gorf - Discussed elsewhere

fontisian

Smash Champion
Oh god I agree with sabrar again!

The set is just the active players. At this stage scum are more likely to be lurking, quiet and avoiding attention, than leading lynches and hopping on and off wagons.
Hey Wam, this is wrong. Maven, Bessie and Somi aren't active.

fontisian

Smash Champion
Skimmed, but

You tell me, what did I do on pg 1 of the multiball (where I was town)? Did I not help to add legitimacy on a wagon by the end of pg1/beginning of pg2 and get things rolling?

I like Swiss analysis in 108 on eido, but at the same time I’m forced to take pause. Eido just played scum in the recent multiball and looked town as **** to everyone there, the other scumteam killed him likely cuz he was a universal townread (Swiss can confirm/deny). For now imma keep my vote here but I think my read on him will be more clear when he starts to focus less on things that directly involve himself.

is this ordered?

Posts like these (and what further ensue on pg4) make me question whether eido is dumb or scum. I think scum would be aware that they’re gonna keep drawing unwanted attention to themselves for asking for links when they got plenty of it already for that. This just doesn’t seem to phase eido... the only problem is he’s a noob so does he realize that this is just gonna keeping twisting the knife in his chest... I ****ing hate reading noobs lmao
The thing about multiball games is that scum can scumhunt honestly. Makes it easier for them to look town.

LaserGuy LaserGuy Can you put your Bessie read into more words for me?

#HBC | Gorf

toastin walrus since 4/20 maaaan
unordered within tiers

10.) Gorf
1.) Swiss
4.) Sabrar
7.) Fontisian

5.) Wam
2.) Laserguy
3.) Bessie

6.) Maven89
8.) Eido
9.) Somitomi

fontisian

Smash Champion
unordered within tiers

10.) Gorf
1.) Swiss
4.) Sabrar
7.) Fontisian

5.) Wam
2.) Laserguy
3.) Bessie

6.) Maven89
8.) Eido
9.) Somitomi
Ooh, talk about me and Sabrar, please.

Also, let's try to avoid the phrase "dumb or scum." For one, people approach games differently, it doesn't make them stupid. For two, it's actually pretty insulting to mute people.

#HBC | Gorf

My original impression was that you were concerned that he voted the wagon to L-2 and then didn't follow up on it. But your later posting seems to suggest that he voted the wagon to L-2 and then did too much.
Uhh did you mean “he voted the wagon to l-2 and then didn’t do too much?” If so nah, I don’t really expect anyone to do “much” during pg1

#HBC | Gorf

Ooh, talk about me and Sabrar, please.

Also, let's try to avoid the phrase "dumb or scum." For one, people approach games differently, it doesn't make them stupid. For two, it's actually pretty insulting to mute people.
what is your preferred phraseology for when people do things that are so obtuse that they can either be town that’s straight up lost in the sauce or scum? Preferably a phrase that’s not a mouthful.

IOU explanations for sabrar and fonti townreads after breakfast

fontisian

Smash Champion
what is your preferred phraseology for when people do things that are so obtuse that they can either be town that’s straight up lost in the sauce or scum? Preferably a phrase that’s not a mouthful.

IOU explanations for sabrar and fonti townreads after breakfast
"This is ****ing weird."

#HBC | Gorf

Lmfao facts, but at the same time I guess “dumb or scum” just hits a very specific point about a players play in a vacuum. I don’t mean it as an insult, but rather a sign that if they’re town, they need to change course.

fontisian

Smash Champion
Lmfao facts, but at the same time I guess “dumb or scum” just hits a very specific point about a players play in a vacuum. I don’t mean it as an insult, but rather a sign that if they’re town, they need to change course.
So, say that instead.

#HBC | Gorf

Almost lost Swiss’ ask for somi. IOU that too

forgive me if I describe someone as dumb or scum in the future, I do get that can come off differently than what it is but I’d be lying if I said it’s not ingrained into my vernacular. But I get it, there are more sensible ways to describe THAT sensation

#HBC | Gorf

Protip: don’t get into tobacco kids. I started when I was 17 and can’t seem to find a way to stop forever.

going to pick some up, and then I’ll make good on those IOU’s

Eido

Smash Journeyman
You're fine to use that vocab around me. You're a picture of a cat.

I'm gonna take some time out and read over the thread again with a cooler head. Chat soon

LaserGuy

Smash Ace
What I mostly look for in bessie is to try to get a sense for how excited/engaged she is with the game. Town!bessie is happy to be here. Scum!bessie goes through the motions but her heart isn't in it. This is known meta, but I've found it to be fairly reliable regardless. I can't really point to any specific parts of her posts that I used to make this read, more just a general sense of her tone.

Uhh did you mean “he voted the wagon to l-2 and then didn’t do too much?” If so nah, I don’t really expect anyone to do “much” during pg1
Your original complaint was that he was "comfortable" and "twiddling his thumbs", which I interpret to be: Not doing much.
However, in #82 you claim that you felt he was tonally different because everyone else was joking around and he was actually starting to play, which I interpret to be, relative to the others: Doing too much.

LaserGuy

Smash Ace
Below is where my heads at currently.

Town
Sabrar
Swiss

Unknown
Laser
Bessie
Font
Maven
Gorf
Somi

Scum
Eido
Can you talk a little bit more about what you're seeing in Sabrar here? I'm also interested in your take on fonti's play so far this game.

#HBC | Gorf

Your original complaint was that he was "comfortable" and "twiddling his thumbs", which I interpret to be: Not doing much.
However, in #82 you claim that you felt he was tonally different because everyone else was joking around and he was actually starting to play, which I interpret to be, relative to the others: Doing too much.
oh i see. that isnt me thinking hes “doing too much/not doing too much,” thats me thinking he might be trying not to look too casual, while still being a part of a gag wagon. his demeanor (comfortably conducting typical early game business, perusing through the active players at the time) didnt match his actions (a joke wagon that got to L-2).

Wam

Smash Ace
Can you talk a little bit more about what you're seeing in Sabrar here? I'm also interested in your take on fonti's play so far this game.
It started post 1 I dont think scum sabrar comes out swinging at swiss. Then it's more the tone/impression that he's solving and doesn't care how he looks. I think scum sabrar has a hint of care about appearance.

Font I'm withholding judgement until I see more.

#HBC | Gorf

on fonti:

Is this a good time to townread eido or should I keep that as a fun surprise for mid-Day?
Quickhammers in rvs are very, very rare outside of irl games. I don't remember if I've even seen one in my 100s of games.

Something to consider here: Is the reasonableness of a push an accurate way to measure the towniness of the person pushing it?
Gorf, is it fair to say that your initial suspicion of Eido came from his less jokey tone while he was joining a joke wagon, instead of the vote itself?
Ooh, this one is fun. I'm glad Eido quoted it.

Wam doing a thing here where he jumps to the next question, instead of focusing on the original one. He already knows he agrees with Swiss's point, so instead of investigating that he's trying to figure out if Swiss is manipulating him.

Is that towny? I lean towards yes, tempered by the fact that it's been a minute since I've thought about Wam and I don't understand him all that well.

Yeah, you and Eido are talking past each other. He thinks it's just the l-2 thing, because that what you emphasized more originally. I'm guessing you hadn't fully fleshed out what you were thinking about him at the beginning of your case, and you didn't communicate it as well as you could have.
she has a townread on eido and she decides to take a role of helping guide eido in a more proactive direction, probably in hopes of proving her read right to herself and others, while trying to further an understanding between eido and myself. while doing that she is still weighing in on other relevant things, like the wam portion. the eido portion reminds me of myself trying to help steer my townreads in better directions when im town. the wam portion tells me shes not keeping herself in one section of the thread, which is +town.

on sabrar:

I am more interested in Gorf's explanation.

Unvote
Normally I would agree but I just gave Deadbanana a pass in the Chaos game for a similar issue that I did not think he would consider to fake.
usually not picking a side reads as +scum for me, but beyond that sabrar is looking for more of a fleshing out here than sidelining. the apprehension and keeping cards close to the chest feels natural. good first impression. beyond that shes asking good questions to laserguy and for swiss’ maven read, in addition to her questions toward eido. i dont get a sense of an agenda.

I rarely do early reads. I have a couple of issues that I want to bring up but I'm waiting to see if they will be resolved without my intervention.
like i believe sabrar here, their play matches up.

on somi:

Oh boy, what was this Swiss wagon?

This again? Sabrar, could you shoot Swiss this time? Thanks.

Cool, so everyone agrees I'm obvtown.

Just because people rarely fall into Grand Canyon it's not a good idea to walk right up to the edge and sit there.
when i made my readslist i thought i remembered somi being more “antagonistic” toward eido here but looking at this quote again thats not the case. so really the only thing i have to say is that i get the feeling of “more left to be desired,” and i dont have that same feeling from anyone else aside from maven.

fontisian

Smash Champion
For reference, I went through the beginning of Things to refamiliarize myself with Gorf's scum game, then went through the first few pages of Mafia and Werewolves to note how his town game differed, amd finished up with a reread of this thread.

The biggest difference is stiffness, both in demeanor and read fluidity, though some of that in Things can likely be attributed to his early interactions with a partner. Regardless, there's a looseness in his posting here that comes through in his town game and was absent in his scum game.

Sabrar

Smash Ace
It's b, Eido explains that in the rest of the post.
That was my guess as well but I'm curious in that case why Eido didn't try to correct Gorf after #91 or bessie after #102, both of whom seemed to think it was a).

somitomi

Smash Journeyman
Offer a carrot not a stick. #HBC | Gorf #HBC | Gorf if you do it we wont lynch you day 1.
Dude, that's still a stick, just a different one.
Eido -10
Fontisian -1
Gorf +1
LaserGuy +0
Maven89 +1
Sabrar +1
somitomi +0
Swiss +1
Wam -2
Wow, that's a pretty strong read on Eido. I don't disagree with most of your points, but I don't recall you
I'm with bessie on scepticism of day 1 town claims.
I think they're pretty inconsequential, so I actually find it kind of strange that bessie assigns negative points to them. What's scummy about saying the default assumption out loud?
This makes me think swiss is town. Scum swiss probably makes a case up here.
So Swiss is happy to lynch, but admits his case would be flimsy and that's town.... how?
The biggest clue to me right now lies in those leveraging the momentum Gorf created to build a wagon. This means in the region of the following players:

Yourself / Somitomi / Maven / Wam / And now Bessie.
Wait, I was doing what? And I didn't even notice? Wow, I'm a mafia god. Seriously though, anyone calling me one of the active players isn't following this game.
I disagree with the notion that you should only look for scum in that set.
QFT, Eido narrowing the scum-pool to those particular players while repeatedly pointing out that the game barely started is some strage logic.
I kind of had the impression that I've seen Eido around here before, but multiple people talk like Eido is new.
Eido Eido How much mafia experience do you have in general and how much of that is forum mafia?

somitomi

Smash Journeyman
EBWOP because I forgot to finish this sentence:
Wow, that's a pretty strong read on Eido. I don't disagree with most of your points, but I don't recall you
Wow, that's a pretty strong read on Eido. I don't disagree with most of your points, but I don't recall you having such a strong scumread so early. Or are the other reads extremely weak?

#HBC | FrozeηFlame

BRoomer
BRoomer
OFFICIAL VOTE COUNT v1.3

Eido (3): Gorf, Swiss, Wam
Maven (1): Eido

Not Voting: Laserguy, Bessie, Sabrar, Maven, Fontisian, Somitomi

With 10 alive it takes 6 votes to eliminate!

Rules Note

Just wanted to give everyone a friendly reminder that this is not a plurality game.

General Rules:

04. Days will last for half of the existing player base, rounded up to the nearest whole number, +1. So 9 alive results in Day 1 being 6 Days (9/2 = 4.5, round up to 5, +1 is 6). 6 Alive would be 4 Days for that phase. Nights will always be 48 hours. If a majority vote is reached, the first player to receive a majority of the living players' active present votes will be eliminated. If no majority is reached by the deadline, no elimination will occur and the game will proceed to night phase.
I realized I did not highlight this deviation from the norm of plurality elim in our most recent games. Apologies for not advertising this more clearly. I figured letting everyone know sooner rather than later and closer to deadline would be appreciated, even if the move to non-plurality rules wasn't generally appreciated. :p

Last edited:

bessie

Smash Journeyman
The lack of Xivii in this game is a blight upon my soul.
Yes I can see it’s affecting you so much that you are unable to post any content except active lurking. -1

Any particular reason you've decided to do points this game? I don't recall you ever doing this before.
Right Brain is stuck in my head so I’m playing as Hari Seldon’s meta. But since I am bessie, I am doing a crappy job and am not being as meticulous with my point system and am using only whole numbers, and I have never been one to focus on content unless it pings me so I’m not going to have as many plus as minus. Also, I am weak on behavior analysis and will never be as good of a player as Hari anyway so I will probably soon go back to being just bessie. +0

townlean font for this. I felt the exact same
Was that a town claim?? -1
But I like the rest of the post. +1

Eido Eido and bessie bessie have vague memories of someone accidentally hammering but couldnt give a game. Someone also fake accidentally hammered a very long time in the past. I think when is started playing.

Off topic
Hope you fix your emergency Bessie.
I keep thinking there was a game where Mark accidentally hammered on D1 (which would make it one of the more “recent” games), but if none of you remember it, I must be getting it mixed up with a much older game, or perhaps one I didn’t play and only read (I don’t retain information as well for games in which I am not actively playing). +0

Off topic
Heh, we had a fire (literal not figurative). :ohwell:

And to be clear by down I mean gone for good.
Sigh. +0
1618539446959.png

Swiss Swiss Again, I'm looking here for Scum:

Swiss / Gorf
Somitomi / Wam / Maven / Bessie

Not ordered.

Somitomi's entrance pinged me. It fanned flames in my direction without adding much value to the conversation.

Maven looks rational, but this post pinged me:

https://smashboards.com/threads/decisive-games-newd3-mafia-day-1-starts-4-14-12-am-mdt-deadline-4-20-12-am-mdt.513025/post-24359453

As it looks really flexible, like he's a vulture circling prospective wagons. He’s in a similar space to Gellnick for me in the last game in terms of vibe.

Wam is very difficult for me overall. I feel he’s different here. I dislike his vote.

Bessie’s come in and given me -10 points. This is strong relative to the whole cast and feels forced. She must really hate me here. Why?

For Gorf / Swiss, I'm trying to work where their pushes are coming from in their experience. I think Gorf might have made up his scum tell to push. Swiss looks clearer in his thought process, more reasonable.
Your scum pool is 6 out of 8, that’s ok for early game (and what is the post number you are trying to link? The link takes me to FaceBook.). +0
However, even if you don’t realize it, your most of your reasons for suspecting people are OMGUS. How about at least asking me a question if you suspect me? +0

#126 Like this post by Swiss, +1.

#129 Like this post by Sabrar, +1

This post clearly tells you how what I'm looking for right now.

I know the wagon is wrong. I'm assuming Scum are going to be tempted to join it.

Do you disagree with anything I've said in that post? About the players listed?
If you are concerned scum might join your wagon, then you are implying everyone on your wagon (Gorf, Swiss, Wam) is town. But these three players are on your suspicious list. You are contradicting yourself. -2

I want space to start looking at this and refining.

It's hard to do that right now. Lots of pressure being thrown at me.
Then why don’t you remove Gorf, Swiss, and Wam from your list for the above reason? +0

bessie bessie per your recollection when Vicarin became stubborn about a specific topic was that alignment-indicative?
Wheel of Time 3 Mafia. Vicarin and I argued most of D1 because he was arguing a certain setup would never exist, I argued that was not true because I had modded one, he demanded another example… and he would not let it drop and was insisting I spend hours on this non-value-added task or I was scum. This went on for several RL days. And it was alignment indicative. Though I had similar arguments with plytho where it wasn’t. +0

fontisian fontisian Haha WoT3 was the game where I used the word bioluminescence to describe BoomFrog.

The set is just the active players. At this stage scum are more likely to be lurking, quiet and avoiding attention, than leading lynches and hopping on and off wagons.
I disagree, because I think it depends on the player. What is active for some is lurking for others. +0

Skimmed, but

You tell me, what did I do on pg 1 of the multiball (where I was town)? Did I not help to add legitimacy on a wagon by the end of pg1/beginning of pg2 and get things rolling?

I like Swiss analysis in 108 on eido, but at the same time I’m forced to take pause. Eido just played scum in the recent multiball and looked town as **** to everyone there, the other scumteam killed him likely cuz he was a universal townread (Swiss can confirm/deny). For now imma keep my vote here but I think my read on him will be more clear when he starts to focus less on things that directly involve himself.

is this ordered?

Posts like these (and what further ensue on pg4) make me question whether eido is dumb or scum. I think scum would be aware that they’re gonna keep drawing unwanted attention to themselves for asking for links when they got plenty of it already for that. This just doesn’t seem to phase eido... the only problem is he’s a noob so does he realize that this is just gonna keeping twisting the knife in his chest... I ****ing hate reading noobs lmao
Disagree. Eido is assigning busywork disguised as content. -1

Hey Wam, this is wrong. Maven, Bessie and Somi aren't active.
Perhaps not active, but at least not active lurking. Are you gong to post some content? -1

The thing about multiball games is that scum can scumhunt honestly. Makes it easier for them to look town.

Nope I guess not. -1

on fonti:

she has a townread on eido and she decides to take a role of helping guide eido in a more proactive direction, probably in hopes of proving her read right to herself and others, while trying to further an understanding between eido and myself. while doing that she is still weighing in on other relevant things, like the wam portion. the eido portion reminds me of myself trying to help steer my townreads in better directions when im town. the wam portion tells me shes not keeping herself in one section of the thread, which is +town.

on sabrar:

usually not picking a side reads as +scum for me, but beyond that sabrar is looking for more of a fleshing out here than sidelining. the apprehension and keeping cards close to the chest feels natural. good first impression. beyond that shes asking good questions to laserguy and for swiss’ maven read, in addition to her questions toward eido. i dont get a sense of an agenda.

like i believe sabrar here, their play matches up.

on somi:

when i made my readslist i thought i remembered somi being more “antagonistic” toward eido here but looking at this quote again thats not the case. so really the only thing i have to say is that i get the feeling of “more left to be desired,” and i dont have that same feeling from anyone else aside from maven.
I don’t agree with your read of fonti. I agree with your observation that fonti is gently guiding Eido but I do not town read her for it. But I like that you gave reads with analysis to back them up. +1

For reference, I went through the beginning of Things to refamiliarize myself with Gorf's scum game, then went through the first few pages of Mafia and Werewolves to note how his town game differed, amd finished up with a reread of this thread.

The biggest difference is stiffness, both in demeanor and read fluidity, though some of that in Things can likely be attributed to his early interactions with a partner. Regardless, there's a looseness in his posting here that comes through in his town game and was absent in his scum game.
Finally. This is a good content post. +1

I think they're pretty inconsequential, so I actually find it kind of strange that bessie assigns negative points to them. What's scummy about saying the default assumption out loud?
I have always and in every game been suspicious of LAMIST content, things like spontaneous town claims early D1. What’s so townie about having to preemptively claim town?
I get townie vibes from somitomi’s style. +1
But not his content. -1

EBWOP because I forgot to finish this sentence:

Wow, that's a pretty strong read on Eido. I don't disagree with most of your points, but I don't recall you having such a strong scumread so early. Or are the other reads extremely weak?
See my above reply to LaserGuy. I think because I am being lazy and using whole numbers it is skewing the results. +0

Eido -10-3 => -13
fontisian -1-2 => -3
Gorf +1+0 => +1
LaserGuy 0+0 => 0
Maven89 +1+0 => 0
Sabrar +1 +1+1 => +3
somitomi 0+0 => 0
Swiss +1+1 => +2
Wam -2+0 => -2

#HBC | Gorf

Right Brain is stuck in my head so I’m playing as Hari Seldon’s meta. But since I am bessie, I am doing a crappy job and am not being as meticulous with my point system and am using only whole numbers, and I have never been one to focus on content unless it pings me so I’m not going to have as many plus as minus. Also, I am weak on behavior analysis and will never be as good of a player as Hari anyway so I will probably soon go back to being just bessie. +0
dafuq did i just read

fontisian

Smash Champion
I'd like to file a complaint about this forum turning dashes into dots.

Whatever.

Bessie, I have a lot of content, you just aren't noticing it. Like how you didn't notice that when Eido was saying " I know the wagon is wrong. I'm assuming Scum are going to be tempted to join it." he was talking about why he decided to look at the people pushing him. There's no contradiction there.

bessie

Smash Journeyman
dafuq did i just read
I feel that this is not a reaction scum would have. +1

• Bessie's level
  • center of the earth
  • stratosphere
  • my level
Are you referring to my alignment or my ability as a player?

If the later:
1618545030930.png

If the former, let’s have some analysis to back up that read. Without it, that post is just a whole lotta OMGUS. And also, IS THAT A TOWN CLAIM??? -1

Bessie, I have a lot of content, you just aren't noticing it. Like how you didn't notice that when Eido was saying " I know the wagon is wrong. I'm assuming Scum are going to be tempted to join it." he was talking about why he decided to look at the people pushing him. There's no contradiction there.
“I’m assuming scum are going to be tempted to join it” reads to me like he is assuming the wagon are townies, and scum are going to be tempted to join the wagon, join implying he thinks scum were not already on the wagon.

He is looking at six people, which includes the three on his wagon. Which if his wagon are townies, they shouldn't be in his scum pool.

Your defense of Eido is noted. -1

Top Bottom