• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Important Decisive Games Forum Rules. If you're new, click here!

BarDulL

Town Vampire
Decisive Games Forum Rules 2018 Edition

Welcome to Decisive Games, a forum of Smashboards. We play multiple diplomacy games here. Diplomacy games consist of games that, naturally, involve diplomacy as the central driving force of gameplay. Generally, this entails talking to players, building trust, working together, betraying allies, deception, in-game bartering (depending on the game), and so forth.

The most prominent diplomacy game that is played here is Mafia. Mafia is a fun diplomacy game with a huge following all over the world. Mafia Universe has a great quick summary that can help you understand the game better. This summary can be found here: Mafia Rules and Gameplay

Like most other forums of Smashboards, we have additional rules that forum viewers should abide by when participating in Diplomacy Games. This thread seeks to clarify those rules.

The Rules:

1. Respect the Global Rules.

Just like every other portion of Smashboards, the Global Rules apply to Decisive Games. Make sure to read up on the Global Rules if you haven't already. They can be found here: https://smashboards.com/help/terms/

2. Threads that are made that are not pertinent to Decisive Games will be locked.

Pretty straightforward. First time offenders will just receive a verbal warning and their thread will be locked. A user that breaks this rule more than once will receive a spam infraction.

EX: Posting threads regarding various video games that do not directly pertain to diplomacy games or the Decisive Games community will be locked.

3. Respect hosts and the games they create.

A host is someone that creates games for people to play in. Hosts go through a lot of time and effort to create these games. Breaking the rules of a game is disrespectful and could result in an infraction or possibly a temporary room ban depending on the severity of the rule that is broken as well as the circumstances behind why a rule was broken.

Example 1: accidentally posting during the night phase after a host tells everyone not to post doesn't warrant a moderator response.

Example 2: entering the green room/graveyard of a game, copying all the set-up information, and pasting the entire set-up in the main thread would result in a ban from the Decisive Games forum.

This isn't rigid and is open to interpretation by staff. Just use common sense and you'll be fine.

4a. Cheating in any Diplomacy Game is grounds for a room ban.

First, let's define cheating:

Cheating: to act dishonestly or unfairly in order to gain an advantage, especially in a game or examination.

Cheating is bad, don't do it. Be a cool person and fight with honor :^)! However, in the event cheating happens, here's our policy on cheating:

Pending an investigation from moderators, the punishment for cheating will result in a room ban if a player (or multiple players) are found guilty of cheating. The length of the room ban depends on the severity and degree of cheating. This is open to interpretation. A punishment will not be announced publicly, and results of an investigation will not be publicized; an investigation as to whether or not someone is cheating is to be kept private. The punishment, if there is one, will be handed out discreetly by the staff of this site to ensure an impartial judgment takes place.

If a player comes forward and admits they cheated prior to an investigation from moderators, the length and severity of the ban will be decreased. It is possible that no room ban is enforced in the event of an immediate confession. It is also possible that a room ban still occurs, but the duration of this room ban will be severely shortened. Do not wait for a moderator to discover that you are cheating.

4b. Please message both a moderator and the host of the game if you believe someone to be cheating in a game. Do not accuse someone publicly of cheating. Publicly accusing someone of cheating can result in an infraction depending on the circumstances.

Please talk to a moderator of Decisive Games as well as the host of the game you are in if you suspect that someone is cheating. We will look it over and see if there is merit in performing a more thorough examination of the game. Do not publicly accuse someone of cheating!

5. Have fun.

This isn't really a rule. Try to be a positive contributor. We all get upset at times and everyone knows that, just make sure to continue abiding by the rules when this happens.

General:

If you have any questions or concerns, feel free to message either #HBC | Red Ryu #HBC | Red Ryu , BarDulL BarDulL , or Moydow Moydow .

Last edited:

#HBC | marshy

wanted for 3rd degree swag
BRoomer
6. Lynch Pokechu, ideally on D1.

perhaps the most important of all the rules and the real reason we gather in the first place

its of the upmost priority that at any given point of the day phase that you place down a vote on pokechu and push his lynch. lynching pokechu is one of the binding forces that keeps us together as a community and has for years. there hav been numerous reports studies and surveys showing that lynching pokechu is ideal for the meta and actually only serves to help you win the game regardless of your alignment

please aid me in my lifelong battle with pokechu

Thirdkoopa

Administrator
Administrator
Writing Team
Somewhere on Discord while working on something
6. Lynch Pokechu, ideally on D1.

perhaps the most important of all the rules and the real reason we gather in the first place

its of the upmost priority that at any given point of the day phase that you place down a vote on pokechu and push his lynch. lynching pokechu is one of the binding forces that keeps us together as a community and has for years. there hav been numerous reports studies and surveys showing that lynching pokechu is ideal for the meta and actually only serves to help you win the game regardless of your alignment

please aid me in my lifelong battle with pokechu
One of these days omeone’s just gonna make him game ending jester then

BarDulL

Town Vampire
Upon some further recommendations from the Staffer Shack:

Text changes have been made to the first clause of rule 4 to make it sound cleaner.

The second clause of rule 4 has been changed to reflect the general process that will be undergone in the event an investigation of cheating does take place. More or less, the investigation will be conducted privately by a Decisive Games moderator (likely me), and staff will hand out a punishment discreetly.

Last edited:

BarDulL

Town Vampire
The problem is that an individual can become alienated and humiliated in the event that everyone is publicly informed. Even if what this individual did is wrong and immoral, it has been suggested that it is against Smashboards policy to announce guilt publicly. Publicly informing everyone could make the guilty party face the possible wrath of an entire community when they could have learned from their mistakes in silence and solitude instead.

(To be clear, I have some regrets about what happened regarding cheating in recent days, lol. Also, it is the recommendation of staff.)

Upon consideration, this is likely the better route moving forward.

Last edited:

BarDulL

Town Vampire
Changed phrasing for rule 4b to accurately reflect its true intention as a rule.

Think that should be it.

Maven89

Smash Master
If I was at a video game tournament and someone was caught cheating, I feel I’d have the right to know the games I played had been tainted, even if I wasn’t informed who it was. It’s common respect

BarDulL

Town Vampire
If I was at a video game tournament and someone was caught cheating, I feel I’d have the right to know the games I played had been tainted, even if I wasn’t informed who it was. It’s common respect
If it ever happens again, I think we can work out a way that the players can be informed that a game was tainted. I will think of a compromise in this matter.

#HBC | Dark Horse

Mach-Hommy x Murakami
If you tell players that someone cheated in a game they just played in without saying who cheated then they’re going to try and find out who did it. It could result in a lot of accusations being thrown around, made worse if people start accusing someone who didn’t actually cheat.

BarDulL

Town Vampire
Yeah, this is still being discussed, there really isn’t an easy solution to this problem.

I’ve written up the rules thus far to cover most of the main bases, but I am open to suggestions from anyone on how to improve the process when a determination is made for cheating.

Almost always, a cheating determination can only be made in post-game unless there is an incredible slip during the game, so that’s also something to take into consideration.

Last edited:

Fandangox

Smash Lord
If you tell players that someone cheated in a game they just played in without saying who cheated then they’re going to try and find out who did it. It could result in a lot of accusations being thrown around, made worse if people start accusing someone who didn’t actually cheat.
Sounds like you could make a game out of that.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
I think it's best we have the cheater confess themselves and explain themselves to the community (meaning the mod would force them to). Cheating destroys our trust and even after 'rehab' it would be hard to become close. Even though I am unhappy about the cheating, I'm willing to reconsider after a certain 'ban' period. We all make mistakes. Look, even I made a stupid mistake of super hard lurking on mafia scum, and I got blacklisted from the host's games temporarily until I showed that I didn't flake. I fixed it.

So this is me saying that, I have the ability to forgive and we can all too. If they are willing to learn from it, explain themselves, and play a game without cheating again, I wouldn't mind playing with them. Thing is, the trust thing will be harder for them to gain, and that would be up for them to bridge that gap.

---

Sorry, didn't want to re-hash stuff but I felt the way I said it here might be more clear and with a suggestion. Up to you Bardull bro.

Last edited:

BarDulL

Town Vampire
I agree Ran. A lot of people got mad at me for outing the person/s who cheated, but honestly in my opinion, I think everyone deserved to know the truth.

Edited this part out 'cause I sound like a meanie. :p

As a result of the initial backlash, the opinion was held that players who cheat shouldn't be reprimanded and outed publicly...but I just have to disagree with that opinion, and I'll explain why. For starters, in several gaming communities and competitive scenes (read: anything competitive), people get outed all the time for cheating. No one stopped Lance Armstrong's juicing going public. Super Pichu, the public national player ban list in multiple sports, Billy Mitchell playing on MAME, there's like a million other examples. These people did not get the luxury of hiding from public outlash and there's a good reason for it. I think it's important for players and hosts alike to know what they are getting into and the risks involved when engaging known cheaters in any game or sport. It's not just public ostracizing, although I have to admit that people who cheat like that kinda deserve it.

That said, I mean, if cheaters choose to confess publicly, they can, but they’re still getting hit with a reduced quick room ban IMO (with the option to appeal after a certain time). Definitely makes them look better on their way out though and the likelihood for appeal would be much higher.

I'm 100% open to talking about this. Not making any promises that the rules will change 'cause ultimately I have to discuss it with the administration before changing rules (given the context of why a new rule thread had to be created). But yeah, maybe we can set up a lil' debate about it if it gets enough interest.

Last edited:

BarDulL

Town Vampire
Hey dudes. Updating the rule list a bit. In general:

I’ve added Moydow Moydow as a point of reference for people to talk to (as well as myself) whenever an event of wrongdoing comes up and is reported in DGames. The two of us will discuss issues that arise before action is taken to ensure the best possible response. Might add another mod to the discussion table if necessary.

In case you are unfamiliar with us, here's a quick write-up:

BarDulL BarDulL - Not much is known about the Bard; the man stands as an enigma blessed with an unquantifiable degree of swag that he inherited from his predecessors marshy, Raziek, and J (alright probably not as swag as them but maybe someday :V). He can be hit or miss; sometimes the Bard says some smart stuff, and sometimes he is a silly goose (actual footage of the Bard in his natural habitat). What we do know though is that the Bard has a good heart with good intentions and will pursue the truth to the very end. He is a jokester and a positive duder, so if you need help with anything, he'll give you the rundown on things.

Moydow Moydow - I actually don't know all that much about Moydow. What I do know though is that Moy is in Ireland, which means they're likely prone to drinking Guinness (Moydow's actual PoV right now) while listening to swag music. What I also know is that Moy has shown a capability to act in a neutral and impartial manner in discussions and has handled their position of moderator in other parts of Smashboards well. Given Moy has shown an interest in Mafia and has been with us for around 3 months or so, I feel Moy's contributions to decision-making with respect to problems that arise in Decisive Games will be invaluable. Moy also loves Fire Emblem which means they are likely a good person with good taste.

That's it for now. :V

Last edited:

BarDulL

Town Vampire
Wait, what's this?! A new challenger is approaching?! It's...could it be?!?!?!

#HBC | Red Ryu #HBC | Red Ryu - Ryu is my senior mod and has been a mod on Smashboards for as long as I can remember. At least 7 years, so he's very experienced with impartial judgments and making sure no one's breaking the rules. Aside from mod stuff, he knows how to have a good time and kills it on the downtown bar crawls (I'm making this up but it's likely true based on my interactions with the legendary Brewyu). He killed me in my first (or was it second) IRL mafia game with him at APEX 2014, so someday I will have my vengeance, but aside from that he's an awesome and all-around swell dude. There aren't many I would trust with a secret, but he's one of them, so you can definitely trust him if a problem arises.

*ahem*

So yeah, there's three of us now. Feel free to message any one of us if a problem comes up. We'll discuss the situation together and make a decision.

Last edited:

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Dude I remember that IRL Mafia game hahaha.

BarDulL

Town Vampire
Scuffed video talking about various accounts you can use in DGames. Forgot to post it in here.

PM me, Moy, or Ryu if you have any immediate questions about extra accounts; Moy will be posting a thread soon going into more detail about these types of accounts.

BarDulL

Town Vampire
I've been busy, but have been meaning to post some clarifications on rules:

1. Double posting is fine in games (due to generally being unable to edit posts during a game)...sometimes there's some overlap in social threads which is fine. Abusing this privilege is grounds for getting hardbodied (I'm making this stipulation specifically for random users that come in and spam threads lol). I think this is the current consensus but figured I'd clarify it anyway since it wasn't addressed prior. It hasn't been an issue or anything as of late.

2. The queue isn't law. People can host whenever. I generally recommend the queue when a lot of people want to host at the same time in order to keep users from being spread thin, but it's not mandatory. Just be aware that most people try to only do one game at a time.

3. Hosts (or otherwise known as game mods...basically the person who is running the game) can request their threads to be locked and reopened between phases. Hosts can also ask for posts to be deleted that don't belong in a game (i.e. someone posting in a game thread that isn't a part of the game). 'Course this makes me sad because I love to **** post during twilight phases :( but yeah try not to post in games you're not a part of unless you have the OK from the host.

Last edited:
Top Bottom