• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Atlantic North Smash Academia - A G5 Smash 4 Local Tournament!

Smash Academia - A G5 Smash 4 Local Tournament!
Posted by rorycosgrove
Mathnasium of Whitestone
Saturday, June 30, 2018 - 05:00 PM
Until: Friday, June 15, 2018 - 10:00 PM
(Adjusted for timezone: America/New_York)
Categories

Upcoming dates
All times have been adjusted for the timezone: America/New_York

This event has expired and has no upcoming dates

rorycosgrove

Smash Apprentice
NNID
rorycosgrove
Please refer to the Facebook page for questions here

G5 tournaments are back! Smash Academia is a brand new bi-weekly local hosted at the Mathnasium of Whitestone in Queens, NY.

Join G5 Tournament Series to stay up to date with all of our events!

Stream: www.twitch.tv/game5smash
VoDs: www.youtube.com/game5smash
Brackets: game5smash.challonge.com

Entry Fee: $5
Venue Fee: $5

Discounts: Currently, venue fee will be waived for the first 2 entrants to bring setups (a setup = WiiU with Smash, GCC adapter, and necessary cables)

Schedule:
Doors open - 4:00pm
Registration - 5:00pm
Bracket Begins - 6:00pm

Rules:

Double Elimination
Game Settings: 2 Stock, 6 Minute Time Limit, Items Off, Equipment Off
2/3 Games, 3/5 for Finals
NO DSR
Custom moves OFF
Miis are legal limited to 1111. Only console-default Miis are allowed (A-F Standard Size)

Starter Stages:
● Battlefield
● Final Destination
● Smashville
● Town & City
● Lylat Cruise

Counterpick Stages:
● Dreamland
● Any stage in Omega form*

Stage Striking: The winner of a RPS match chooses which player will strike first one stage from the Starter Stage list. Then the other player strikes two more, and the first player strikes one. The remaining stage is used for the first match. (1-2-1)

Stage Bans: During the stage ban phase, the player who won the previous game may ban 1 stage from either the Starter or Counterpick list. This banned stage cannot be chosen by the opposing player for the next game. The losing player then chooses from the remaining stages, then the winner chooses a character for the next game before the loser chooses their own.

*NOTE: Banning Final Destination also bans ALL Omega Stages, and banning any non-Omega Stage also bans its Omega form (i.e. banning Battlefield also bans Omega Battlefield)

Gentleman's Clause: Any stage may be played at any time if both players agree to it

Legal Controllers: YOU MUST BRING YOUR OWN CONTROLLER. Gamecube controllers, Wii U Pro controllers, Wii Remotes and Nunchucks/Classic controllers, and 3DS systems are all legal peripherals. Gamepads are not allowed. If you are using a wireless controller, you MUST disconnect it immediately after your sets. Failure to do so more than once will result in immediate disqualification from your current bracket

Mid-game coaching is not allowed and may result in a disqualification. (Coaching between games is allowed)

Parts of this event, including but not limited to: audio and video of the attendants inside the venue, will be broadcasted on the internet via twitch and uploaded to YouTube. By attending this event, all parties agree to allow their likeness to appear in any of this media

Nokori

Smash Rookie
Is there an age "restriction"? What i mean is that can any age like from 12+ join that are competitive players?Also what is a venue? I havent gone to a local tourney before

rorycosgrove

Smash Apprentice
NNID
rorycosgrove
Is there an age "restriction"? What i mean is that can any age like from 12+ join that are competitive players?Also what is a venue? I havent gone to a local tourney before
There is no age restriction and we welcome newcomers! The venue is the location in which the tournament takes place

Smashing Smasher

Smash Rookie
NNID
Awesome34567
3DS FC
2938-9615-2603
Switch FC
SW-1450-4779-1898
There is no age restriction and we welcome newcomers! The venue is the location in which the tournament takes place
Not that I'm all that worried about money, but how are the earnings split between first, second, and third place?

Rand0mDude

Smash Rookie
What does the venue look like? I'm having trouble finding it on google streetview.
Are there extra seats for spectators to sit in while they watch?
edit: answered on facebook

Last edited:

rorycosgrove

Smash Apprentice
NNID
rorycosgrove
*IMPORTANT* there will be no Smash Academia this Saturday 11/25

PK Meteor

Smash Rookie
I’m just a bit confused on the wording of the rules since this will be the first tournament I participate in (specifically the stage ban section). Is this going to be winners pick or losers pick for the next stage chosen? Also, does stage ban apply to all sets as an optional choice? (Final question I swear!) Can starter stages be chosen in the 2nd and 3rd matches of a set? The last question is because I thought starter stages can only be picked as the first match of a set.

rorycosgrove

Smash Apprentice
NNID
rorycosgrove
I’m just a bit confused on the wording of the rules since this will be the first tournament I participate in (specifically the stage ban section). Is this going to be winners pick or losers pick for the next stage chosen? Also, does stage ban apply to all sets as an optional choice? (Final question I swear!) Can starter stages be chosen in the 2nd and 3rd matches of a set? The last question is because I thought starter stages can only be picked as the first match of a set.
Hi! The loser chooses the counterpick stage after the winner bans one. There are bans every set. Starter stages are choose-able for any game, first or otherwise

rorycosgrove

Smash Apprentice
NNID
rorycosgrove
Please be aware that there is NO Academia this Saturday 2/17! Stay posted for further updates on the next event

rorycosgrove

Smash Apprentice
NNID
rorycosgrove
NO Academia this Saturday 3/31 due to Collision (large tournament). Most likely next Academia will be the following Saturday, will update soon

rorycosgrove

Smash Apprentice
NNID
rorycosgrove
NO Academia this weekend, it’s been rescheduled to next Saturday (4/14) tentatively due to complications with the venue

Duckie

Smash Rookie
I've never been to a tournament and I don't have a Wii u, is there any chance I can use my 3ds as a controller?

rorycosgrove

Smash Apprentice
NNID
rorycosgrove
Is this place going to have a lot of radiowaves that might interfere with player's wireless controllers?
Although we can’t guarantee that your controller will work, we’ve had many players use wireless controllers with no issues

Smashing Smasher

Smash Rookie
NNID
Awesome34567
3DS FC
2938-9615-2603
Switch FC
SW-1450-4779-1898
If I am correct, there should be another one this week Saturday, right? That would be the 28th

Smashing Smasher

Smash Rookie
NNID
Awesome34567
3DS FC
2938-9615-2603
Switch FC
SW-1450-4779-1898
Will there be more tournaments after June 2?

Top Bottom