• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Dec 6-7, 2014] The Come Up - Apex World Circuit Official Canadian Event - SSBM/SSBU (Toronto)

Toronto Joe

Smash Master

I am happy to announce The Come Up,a 2 day event hosted during December 6th and 7th. As a follow up to the hype summer national Get On My Level 2014, The Come Up is the premiere Winter event to attend for Canadian Smash fans---as the official Canadian stop on the Apex 2015 World Circuit with a $1000 pot bonus sponsorship provided by leading streaming platform Twitch.tv. You can register online for the event here

#TCU is the official Canadian tournament for the Apex 2015 World Circuit. Seeding points will be provided to the top placers, as well as free flight and accommodation to Apex 2015 for the SSBM singles event winner. Apex is currently the largest Super Smash Brothers event in the world, spanning across the entire Smash series with Apex 2015 poised to be their biggest gathering yet.

EvenMatchupGaming will be doing media coverage of the event as well as streaming the competition on twitch.tv/evenmatchupgaming

You can like them on www.facebook.com/evenmatchupgaming and subscribe on www.youtube.com/evenmatchupgaming for updates on TCU and Smash related content.

The Y.U Smash Club is an official student organization from York University dedicated to growing the Smash community and providing events to help encourage and promote gaming culture. You can support them with a like on facebook at :www.facebook.com/YUSmash

facebook event page: https://www.facebook.com/events/230161173856863/

The Come Up will be hosted in the Founders College Assembly Hall at York University campus in the beautiful city of Toronto.

4700 Keele Street
Founders College - Room 152
Toronto, Ontario
Canada
M3J 1P3

The room has a maximum capacity of 300 people and also features a main stage where all the hype matches will streamed both online and in person on a large projector. Here is a picture from the last book sale and concert hosted there with the main stage projector:

We will begin setting up for the event at 8:30 am on Day 1, feel free to drop by if you'd like to volunteer your services to help set-up.

Waves of pools will be announced at 11:30 for both games and run until the venue closes at 11pm. Depending on how many entrants we get, we are most likely going to have pools of 6-10 with top 3 advancing to finals day, final bracket will be a top 32 or 64 depending on size as well.

On finals day the venue will open up at 8:30 but the final bracket will begin at Noon,feel free to drop by for friendlies in the mean-time

Time | Event

December 6

9:30-11:15am | Check in

11:30am | SSBU Singles Pools Wave 1 Begins
11:30am | Melee Singles Pools Wave 1 Begins
2:30pm | Melee Singles Pools Wave 2 Begins
3:00pm | SSBU Singles Pools Wave 2 Begins
4:30pm | Melee Doubles Begins Until Top 8
6:00pm | SSBU Doubles Begins Until Top 8
6:30pm | Melee Doubles top 8 begins
8:30pm | SSBU Doubles top 8 begins

December 7

Time | Event

12:00pm | SSBU Singles Bracket Begins Until Top 8
2:00pm | SSBM Singles Bracket Begins Until Top 8
3:00pm | SSBU Singles top 8 Begins
6:00pm | SSBM Singles top 8 Begins

*Schedule subject to change*

Online Registration Link: http://nintendoenthusiast.com/events/the-come-up-apex-2015-qualifier/

Venue fee: 10$(increased to 15$ as of November 7th)
Melee Singles: 10$
Melee Doules: 20$ per team
SSBU Singles: 10$
SSBU Doubles: 20$ per team

Payouts are as follows if we get 100+:

Super Smash Bros Wii U & Melee Singles

1st Place: 50%
2nd Place: 25%
3rd Place: 10%
4th Place: 5%
5th Place: 3% (x2)
7th Place: 2% (x2)

Super Smash Bros Wii U & Melee Doubles
1st Place: 55%
2nd Place: 25%
3rd Place: 10%
4th Place: 5%
5th Place: 2.5% (x2)

Apex ruleset for both Melee events and TBD for SSBU.

https://www.apex-series.com/rules

BYOC (Bring Your Own Controller)
Please mind personal hygiene. (Don't smell, please shower)
Tournament matches have priority over friendlies and money matches.
No drugs, alcohol or anything illegal allowed on campus.

If you are travelling from out of country you will be required to have a Passport, these usually take between 1-4 weeks to arrive:

1. Americans can get passports very easily. Go to your local post office and apply for them. They will give you all the instructions on what to do, and some people get their passports within 2 weeks! Getting one costs $135 USD for anyone 16+ ($110 USD to renew), or $105 USD for anyone under 16.

2. A possible alternative for Americans is an enhanced drivers license which is cheaper than a passport, and quicker to obtain. The enhanced license lets you travel to Canada, and some other countries (though not as many as a passport).

3. US Passport Card: http://travel.state.gov/passport/ppt_card/ppt_card_3926.html

MORE PASSPORT INFO

Please note that as of June 1, 2009 visitors to Canada from the United States will be required to show:

1) If you are crossing the border by land or sea: a valid US passport, a US passport card, or an enhanced driver's license.

2) If you are flying: a valid US passport ONLY

Full details available here: http://www.getyouhome.gov/html/lang_eng/index.html

BUSSING
Bussing is a very popular mode of transportation for people looking for a cheap way to reach tournaments in other cities. Here are several bus companies which provide both domestic and international routes.

Canadian Megabus site: ca.megabus.com
American Megabus site: us.megabus.com
Canadian Greyhound site: greyhound.ca
American Greyhound site: greyhound.com

The bus terminal where you will end up is the Toronto Coach Terminal.

Toronto Coach Terminal
610 Bay Street Toronto
Ontario, Canada M5G 1M5

www.torontocoachterminal.com

FLYING
If you are flying from within Canada or anywhere that's not the United States, the best airport for you to land in is the Toronto Pearson International Airport.

Toronto Pearson International Airport
6301 Silver Dart Drive, Mississauga
Ontario, Canada L4V 1E8

www.torontopearson.com
If you are flying from the United States and you want to save money, I strongly recommend that you fly to the Buffalo Niagara International Airport.

Buffalo Niagara International Airport
4200 Genesee Street, Cheektowaga
New York, United States

www.buffaloairport.com
Then bus it via Megabus the rest of the way. The trip from Buffalo to Toronto is about 2-3 hours, and it will end up being much cheaper than flying straight into Canada.

Subway Directions:
Go to Downsview subway station and take the 196 straight to the York U Campus! (15minute bus ride)

Out of Country:

Make sure to take notice of the passport information!

There will be housing available for attendees from local community members, as well as Hotels within a 5 minute cab ride of York University

Hotels near York (5 minute taxi ride) are as follows:
Holiday Inn Express
Toronto-North York
30 Norfinch Drive, North York, Ontario
M3N 1X1
Tel: 1-416-665-3500
Fax: 1-416-968-7765
Toll-Free calls: 1-800-HOLIDAY (465-4329)

Map and transportation information at: www.ichotelsgroup.com

Toronto North/North York Travelodge
50 Norfinch Drive, North York, Ontario
M3N 1X1
Tel: 416-663-9500
Fax: 416-663-848

Map and transportation information at: www.travelodge.com

Comfort Inn Toronto North
66 Norfinch Drive, North York, Ontario
M3N 1X1
Tel: (416) 736-4700, 1-877-424-6423
Fax: (416) 736-4842

Map and transportation information at www.comfortinn.com

This event will be sponsored by:

I would also like to welcome eSport Gaming Events and Let's Play KW as official equipment providers and sponsors for The Come Up. In addition to providing a large portion of the Wii U equipment that will be used to put on this years event EGE has sponsored a $50 pot bonus for the highest finishing Canadian player in SSBM singles. This player will also qualify for the Ontario ESPORTS Series Provincial Championships in the spring to compete against the 7 best SSBM players in the province for the title and a $500 prize pool. Myself, WeonX and Coffeeblack have already qualified at previous events and therefore are not eligible. LPKW will be bringing their tournament expertise to help organize the event as well as a large portion of equipment for the SSBM event.

These are two organizations which have done a lot to grow the Ontario smash and gaming communities at large and are always a pleasure to collab with at events, so show em some love♥

For more information on EGE as well as the Ontario ESPORTS Series, make sure to:
Like them on facebook - https://www.facebook.com/EGEofficial
and follow them on twitter - https://twitter.com/EGEofficial
eSport Gaming Events

For more information on LPKW and to support them directly, check them out at the following:

www.twitter.com/letsplaykw
www.twitch.tv/letsplay
www.facebook.com/letsplaykw
youtube.com/letsplaykw

Last edited:

TheDuckChris

Smash Cadet
DAMN SON WHERED YOU FIND THIS?
Intercollegiate smash circuit finals will be legit too, I'll come out and support my UofT brethren (and hopefully win some pool matches lol)

juddy96

Smash Lord
We need a mod to sticky this! Canada's lone Apex World Circuit event should not be neglected!

Linkshot

Smash Hero
Can't get the online registration to work. I select the tickets and hit "Register" but it just keeps saying "you need to select at least one event before you can proceed with the registration process" and ??? isn't the tournament itself the event? There is nothing else on the page indicating an event I can select.

TheDuckChris

Smash Cadet
UPDATE FROM FACEBOOK: confirmed 144+ entrants for melee singles, last day to register is tomorrow! Get on the come up train you know you wanna

Fran-nyan

Smash Rookie
NNID
FrannyQ
3DS FC
2938-8039-6378
Is it too late to regiser?

I'm trying to access the link to the online registration, but it says it's "page not found" and I'm honestly panicking

TheDuckChris

Smash Cadet
yeah registration closed a couple of days ago, sorry! You can still come and spectate (I think) which will be well worth it considering some of the talent we have confirmed.

Fran-nyan

Smash Rookie
NNID
FrannyQ
3DS FC
2938-8039-6378
Ah shoot! I waited too long. Awh, I was really excited to participate too (even though I'm terrible lol). Oh well, watching is still fun.

Fran-nyan

Smash Rookie
NNID
FrannyQ
3DS FC
2938-8039-6378
Would I still have to pay for a ticket
Ah shoot! I waited too long. Awh, I was really excited to participate too (even though I'm terrible lol). Oh well, watching is still fun.
Would I still have to pay for the ticket? If so, where?

zephyrnereus

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1048-9153-4450
my question is, are custom moves and miis going to be allowed in Smash 4? also are participants getting a confirmation mail soon? cause I just wanna make sure I paid for my admission a few weeks ago. the page said it went through but I did not get a confirmation mail.

Toronto Joe

Smash Master
I would like to welcome eSport Gaming Events and Let's Play KW as official equipment providers and sponsors for The Come Up. In addition to providing a large portion of the Wii U equipment that will be used to put on this years event EGE has sponsored a $50 pot bonus for the highest finishing Canadian player in SSBM singles. This player will also qualify for the Ontario ESPORTS Series Provincial Championships in the spring to compete against the 7 best SSBM players in the province for the title and a $500 prize pool. Myself, WeonX and Coffeeblack have already qualified at previous events and therefore are not eligible. LPKW will be bringing their tournament expertise to help organize the event as well as a large portion of equipment for the SSBM event.

These are two organizations which have done a lot to grow the Ontario smash and gaming communities at large and are always a pleasure to collab with at events, so show em some love♥

For more information on EGE as well as the Ontario ESPORTS Series, make sure to:
Like them on facebook - https://www.facebook.com/EGEofficial
and follow them on twitter - https://twitter.com/EGEofficial
eSport Gaming Events

For more information on LPKW and to support them directly, check them out at the following:

www.twitter.com/letsplaykw
www.twitch.tv/letsplay
www.facebook.com/letsplaykw
youtube.com/letsplaykw

Toronto Joe

Smash Master
Information dump for participants about check-in + pools on day 1, I recommend reading this (especially if it is your first time at this venue or one of our tournaments):

Map: http://www.yorku.ca/web/maps/ The venue is located on Ottawa Road in Room 152 at Founders College

Check in procedure: The doors to the venue will open at 9:15 and check-in will begin at 9:30. When you enter the venue, come to the front table and give the staff on site the gamer tag you entered the events in. You can also print your receipt from registration to be safe in case you are worried that someone may try to steal your identity(lol). Once you are checked in, you will be given a stick on tag to write your name in, feel free to write whatever you want on this tag, though it would make the most sense to write your gamertag. Shoutouts to Bonjour and Cafe Noir.

CHECK IN CLOSES AT 11:15 AM. YOU MUST CHECK IN TO PARTICIPATE IN THE EVENT!

Once you are checked in, feel free to play friendlies at the provided stations until we do our little opening ceremony and announce pools.

Once pools are announced, you will report to your pool station with your pool captain and begin your matches(setup areas will be labeled by number and allocated to specific pools). If you fail to report to your pool within 15 minutes of it being announced, you will be DQd from the pool with no refund. Familiarize yourself with the ruleset if you can, but there will also be printouts of the tournament rules for players to go over. Feel free to also ask a staff member or pool captain any questions you have, were more than happy to help !

Round robin pools means you will play everyone in your pool(ranging from 4-6 players) in a best 2/3 set. Record your wins by reporting to your pool captain or manually writing down the score on the pool sheet that was provided for your pool. It is imperative you report your results! Do NOT leave your pool at any point to get food, play all of your matches and then check in with a TO to see when you should make a meal trip. If setups are full at your pool, wait until a set completes and swap in to play.

There are NO friendlies to take place while pools are running. I have been lenient with this in the past, but if you are caught playing friendlies while pools are going on, you will receive a warning, after 2 warnings you will be DQd. Friendlies delay the tournament and with an event of this size its just a straight up selfish move to take over setups that could be used for tournament sets for your own leisure. Keep in mind that most of the newer players will not be able to tell if you are doing a friendly or not, and it is distracting to ask people while they are playing if this is a tournament set so don't think its as simple as just asking to clarify whats what. Lets avoid this confusion and save everyone the time and trouble.

If you have any other questions or concerns, ill be around all night to check this thread. Tomorrow I wont be able to get in touch with anyone as i'll be running errands picking up American guests and setting up for the venue. Do not take it personal if I cant respond to your fb message or texts, tomorrow is just a terrible day to get a hold of me and I do not have data on my phone,i'll try my best to help you out if I can though!

ADAPT Chance

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Adaptchance
3DS FC
4613-8804-8708
^
Starters:

Battlefield
Smashville
Final Destination

CPs:

Castle Siege
Delfino Plaza
Duck Hunt
DK64
Halberd
Town & City

ADAPT Chance

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Adaptchance
3DS FC
4613-8804-8708
^For singles as far as I know they haven't been posted yet.

Thank god I made it through pools.

Last edited:

zephyrnereus

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1048-9153-4450
smash 4 brackets would be nice. also which twitch channel is showing the smash 4 matches? or is it shared with the melee matches?

Top Bottom