• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Dec 6, 2014] Matthews Smashers "Holiday Bash"... (Matthews/Charlotte, N.C.)

W1m0

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheHylianHero123
You can't have a ten minute time limit because the matches would be way too long
I know that the rules have already been created for Smash Wii U, but I would like to recommend that the stock count should be 3 instead of 2. I say this because IMO the match is too easily determined by a single mistake or SD. I believe that 3 stocks can really prove who has more skill in the matchup. With this change I also think that the time limit should increase to 10 mins.

Last edited:

GreenChaChing

Smash Apprentice
You can't have a ten minute time limit because the matches would be way too long
I agree that it is a long time, and i just tested that 8 minutes would actually be enough time. I still think there should be 3 stocks though

W1m0

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheHylianHero123
3 stocks and 8 minutes would work the best in my opinion. Also on for glory mode i always have plenty of time for two stocks with a fve minute time limit (except for a few matches)

alyodie

Smash Cadet
I think I will feel awkward for this tournament since I am only 13 so it'll be weird being the youngest there ._. plus im still learning a lot in smash so hopefully I can perform decently well, also why is pilotwings banned? I feel like it should be a counterpick but whatever, it's not my tournament.
Like W1mo said you won't be alone in that age range. There have been players younger than 13 there, so don't feel awkward. Just come out and gain some experience and have some fun!
As far as pilotwings go, for this tournament they are not allowed. Since Smash 4 Wii U is new I am sure there will be some adjusting to the rule set, each tournament, as we become better acquainted with the game. Thank you for your input. We will make note of it.

Hope to see you there!

Last edited:

RedmanSSBM

Improving My Process
I'm going, but I'm not in favor of having future installments of this tournament having the venue fee be $10 and not at least melee single be $10 as well, or reduce the venue fee to $5. $10 Venue fee with $5 entry fee per game is just unreasonable.

GCS Gaming Customs

https://gcsgamingcustoms.storenvy.com
I'm going, but I'm not in favor of having future installments of this tournament having the venue fee be $10 and not at least melee single be $10 as well, or reduce the venue fee to $5. $10 Venue fee with $5 entry fee per game is just unreasonable.
Look, can y'all atleast justify your $10 venue fee deal so we don't have to keep pounding you with it? Ill be more than happy to abide to the rules for the time being with the assistance of a reasonable explanation

GCS Gaming Customs

I just read the whole thread on SWF and I'm appalled and greatly amused all at once

Those people just copy pasted a ruleset and charge whatever they want and act like they're the end all be all know it all event Charlotte smash has been starving for

"Just because you guys continuously complain about something doesn't mean we're gonna do anything about it"

And of course I'm paraphrasing what was said but a while ago a bunch of British colonists started something called the American revolution when the king decided to continue over taxing the common people

Protesting/striking can and does work

And if I have my way they're going to regret not having lowered their prices when I find a venue in Matthews and inject my events pot with xtra cash and lower the venue cost and bring the scene something they want

This kind of thing really gets under my skin
No this isn't some sort of careless threat. It was immediately followed up by this:

I'm going to talk to the owners as someone they'll see as an adult and see if we can solve this diplomatically

If they don't relent then I'll do what I have to do

No arguments or bad feelings

Just a better service provided by some who plays smash for the love of it and not profit
-Felipe, FB post

Just throwin it out there.. again

Last edited:

the golfer

Smash Rookie
This mayhem is all over $5.00 a month per person? I bet you can find that down in your car seats. I feel sorry for the people who are trying to give us a great place to play Smash. Some of you have not been welcoming to them at all. They just opened their doors to these tournaments....THEY HAVE HAD 2! As with any venture, I'm sure it cost them serious time and money to get this going and they are probably confronting cost that they didn't even know they were going to have. Let them catch their breath and show a little gratefulness.

Clloudd

Smash Rookie
Is that doubles fee $10 per individual player, or $10 per team?

RedmanSSBM

Improving My Process
This mayhem is all over $5.00 a month per person? I bet you can find that down in your car seats. I feel sorry for the people who are trying to give us a great place to play Smash. Some of you have not been welcoming to them at all. They just opened their doors to these tournaments....THEY HAVE HAD 2! As with any venture, I'm sure it cost them serious time and money to get this going and they are probably confronting cost that they didn't even know they were going to have. Let them catch their breath and show a little gratefulness.
Don't misunderstand our frustration with being ungrateful. I certainly want this tournament series to be good and I welcome it for sure, there just needs to be a tweak in the pricing to justify actually going to this tournament.

The reason $10 is a bit absurd for a venue fee is that the $10 fee does not justify the venue itself. Not only do we have to pay $10 just to get into the venue, but if we want snacks, then we also have to pay for those. If the venue has some underlying costs that can be addressed overtime, then $5 is just fine for each tournament installment. The $10 venue fee comes as a rip off because most local tournaments in the area only charge a $5 venue fee per person. A lot of youngsters also go this tournament most likely unaware that they are being ripped off. $5 extra doesn't sound like a lot for one tournament, but that builds up over time.

Say there are 40 people that attend the tournament this Saturday. That's $400 for the people that own the venue. That literally pays a lot of stuff right off the bat. With your logic, what's the big deal if the venue only gets $200 for 40 people? That's still pretty good and you'll have more people come in anyway.

lazymp

Smash Apprentice
NNID
mpittman17
Be grateful? For a $10 venue fee?

Anything more than $5 venue for a local is excessive, unless the venue is super nice (great space, setups provided, etc) or there are good prizes in play (a good venue owner will sometimes put a portion of the venue fees towards prizes). Otherwise, we as a community should not support a venue that charges that much at the door.

marvin the best

Smash Cadet
If you have problem with the venue fee, then don't come. It's fairly simple. You broke boys keep to yourselves.

RedmanSSBM

Improving My Process
If you have problem with the venue fee, then don't come. It's fairly simple. You broke boys keep to yourselves.
Way to go assuming that we are broke. That's not the point. It's not about how much money we have, it's about how much money it's costing us for the experience we are paying for. This is one of the few dedicated tournament series in the Charlotte area and it's got a nice venue, provided with setups and the organization is alright, but the $10 is not justifiable unless we get free food or something.

However, if they insist on keeping the venue fee at $10 at the next installment, then yeah, I'll absolutely not go anymore, and I will strongly discourage people to come to this any longer since the TOs will seem to be rather incompetent at that point.

Twisty Treats

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1075-1216-7448
They said they want to update the internet service and increase streaming quality
Also they do provide all the setups and it is a nice venue... I am 14 so yea it does get exspensive over time
BUT,
I PRAY TO WIN SOOOOOO
If you win a tourney it pays for itselft

thatoneguyintheback

Smash Apprentice
Venue fee isn't even remotely the problem, and LOL at the kids screaming"free snax!!!!"

$10 is the standard for any business related venue. It's not some cheap comic shop or house tournament.

The issue is the tournament fee should never ever be less than venue. That gives 3rd place almost zero chance to make their money back.

Raise everything if you're going to keep the venue fee ten. That way the whiners will be weeded out and the more serious players will come. Or keep everything at $5, including venue.

GCS Gaming Customs

Venue fee isn't even remotely the problem, and LOL at the kids screaming"free snax!!!!"

$10 is the standard for any business related venue. It's not some cheap comic shop or house tournament.

The issue is the tournament fee should never ever be less than venue. That gives 3rd place almost zero chance to make their money back.

Raise everything if you're going to keep the venue fee ten. That way the whiners will be weeded out and the more serious players will come. Or keep everything at $5, including venue.
If you guys are shooting for a more serious tournaments, go with this ^

If you want just a monthly to hangout, do $5 venue. <-- I would recommend this, this tournament series seems to be shooting for this anyways.

They said they want to update the internet service and increase streaming quality
Also they do provide all the setups and it is a nice venue... I am 14 so yea it does get exspensive over time
BUT,
I PRAY TO WIN SOOOOOO
If you win a tourney it pays for itselft
Yes it is. Its a really nice venue, all the setups are provided, and there are small improvements over other tournaments (TOs are dedicated to ensuring everyone is enjoying themselves, the Friendly/Competition flip signs). All of these things are next to cost free services provided by TOs, not things that are paid for. UNCC fight nights are free, despite people spend their entire day planning and executing, because its for the love of the game.

The only thing that needs to be paid for is setups, which I could bet costs in the thousands seeing what Matthews has to offer. However, it is not the communities responsibility to pay this off.. People will bring setups if you ask, thats how its been for 13 years and nothing has changed. So if the venue fee is being used to pay this off, that is very understandable. Its just that the $10 venue fee is unnecessary, as Locke as mentioned before, the money will be made in due time with a $5 fee + more people and community support.

Last edited:

thatoneguyintheback

Smash Apprentice
It wouldn't be $50. And that's you. I went to the first one and I won 3ds, but I traveled from Virginia and didn't make that much (still great venue)

So personally, I'm not coming back until they either raise it to ten or add doubles. Not everyone is looking for cheap events. That's what smashfests are for

lazymp

Smash Apprentice
NNID
mpittman17
lmao, I can't even.

There are equal/better tournaments in NC that have a free venue fee or cost $5, so this will never be a big series with a $10 venue fee, because so few people are gonna pay that for a regular local event.

You think only serious players will come to this? Most of the serious players in the state are going to avoid this because a venue fee for a local shouldn't be $10 (unless it's a guaranteed exceptional experience) and they've been/go to enough tournaments know that.

The biggest reason I've heard why people aren't going to this is because the venue fee.

Raising the entry fee from $5 to $10 is a different issue. NC is cheap so $5 probably would get better attendance. But if the venue fee gets cut then I guess ppl would be willing to put that $5 towards their entry fee instead, which would also benefit you if you are looking to make money from winning the tournament and all.

GCS Gaming Customs

You think only serious players will come to this? Most of the serious players in the state are going to avoid this because a venue fee for a local shouldn't be $10 (unless it's a guaranteed exceptional experience) and they've been/go to enough tournaments know that.

The biggest reason I've heard why people aren't going to this is because the venue fee.
Venue fee gotta go either way.. the tourney fee is another story as mentioned.

thatoneguyintheback

Smash Apprentice
No wonder it was so easy to wreck this event, you got scrubby entitled kids who don't even support their own scene. Free venue? When I went to NC events all of 2011 and 2012, there was NCSU and rockem sockem, five and ten respectively. Nobody cried about it. If it's so easy to host cheap tournaments, then why aren't any of you doing it?

If you're too scared to play for money, then stick with for glory. Better yet, for fun.

The fact is, these people are using their property. They can charge whatever they want, and it's more than fair because you guys definitely trashed the place a good deal at the first one. The owners are also some of the friendliest people around. Maybe you shouldn't assume to know their financial situation before you tell them what it costs to run their events

Last edited:

GCS Gaming Customs

No wonder it was so easy to wreck this event, you got scrubby entitled kids who don't even support their own scene. Free venue? When I went to NC events all of 2011 and 2012, there was NCSU and rockem sockem, ten and five respectively. Nobody cried about it. If it's so easy to host cheap tournaments, then why aren't any of you doing it?
Im helping steven start a new monthly at UNCC. The scene is building at this point, Charlotte has always had a smaller community.

The kids aren't complaining, its the older members of the community, since this is not the way we see tournaments run in NC. We want the Matthews series to be a success, while also not making younger members of the community feel like the $10 venue fee and $5 entries is the way to go, because it isn't for reasons mentioned before. Maybe in VA people don't mind throwing out $10 for a venue fee on monthly (remember, all that money goes to TOs, not back to us in really any way) but thats just not how it works around here.

Maybe it will restrict our growth. Only time will tell.

Last edited:

thatoneguyintheback

Smash Apprentice
$10 monthly is standard. $5 weekly is standard. Monthly= more time to gather money, practice, get rides. Weeklies = glorified smashfests which is what you guys are trying to do. Quantity over quality I guess​

GCS Gaming Customs

$10 monthly is standard. $5 weekly is standard. Monthly= more time to gather money, practice, get rides. Weeklies = glorified smashfests which is what you guys are trying to do. Quantity over quality I guess
I agree.

We don't have a solid weekly system in place, so it doesn't work that way for us atm. Steven is organizing a biweekly to happen at UNCC, so hopefully we can work towards this sort of system.

tbh, We need to attract the people half an hour away before we worry about the out of staters. Thanks for coming out tho, always nice to see new faces.

Twisty Treats

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1075-1216-7448
I agree.

We don't have a solid weekly system in place, so it doesn't work that way for us atm. Steven is organizing a biweekly to happen at UNCC, so hopefully we can work towards this sort of system.

tbh, We need to attract the people half an hour away before we worry about the out of staters. Thanks for coming out tho, always nice to see new faces.
Is that at UNCC like the community college? I would be willing to drive 25 minutes to do a smash tourney. As long as I have the money LOL

the golfer

Smash Rookie
Be grateful? For a $10 venue fee?

Anything more than $5 venue for a local is excessive, unless the venue is super nice (great space, setups provided, etc) or there are good prizes in play (a good venue owner will sometimes put a portion of the venue fees towards prizes). Otherwise, we as a community should not support a venue that charges that much at the door.
Have you been there? The venue is super nice and has plenty of space (best I have been to), and 10 CRT T.V's with set ups. At this tournament they are offering prizes and free holiday eats! So, that is EVERYTHING you just described. Plus, the last 2 tournaments have ran exceptionally smooth, being that they just started.

GCS Gaming Customs

Is that at UNCC like the community college? I would be willing to drive 25 minutes to do a smash tourney. As long as I have the money LOL
Its a university, and yea.

Have you been there? The venue is super nice and has plenty of space (best I have been to), and 10 CRT T.V's with set ups. At this tournament they are offering prizes and free holiday eats! So, that is EVERYTHING you just described. Plus, the last 2 tournaments have ran exceptionally smooth, being that they just started.
I went to the second tournament. This is what I saw:
- the venue is nice, and not smelly or any of that, which is great.
- it does not have plenty of space. They barely had enough room for about 30 people to play, and there was 30 people there.
- the tvs with setups is great too, its just that we are all paying for it by attending (not cool, they shouldn't have been bought in the first place, we can bring em)
- lazymp means that extra money made from the venue will sometimes go to a pot bonus
- about the treats: great, looking forward to see what they have
- they ran pretty well, always room for improvement, but still not bad at all.

It really is a great series minus the $10 venue fee. Take advice from other TOs and the community, and it will be even better.

Twisty Treats

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1075-1216-7448
Its a university, and yea.

I went to the second tournament. This is what I saw:
- the venue is nice, and not smelly or any of that, which is great.
- it does not have plenty of space. They barely had enough room for about 30 people to play, and there was 30 people there.
- the tvs with setups is great too, its just that we are all paying for it by attending (not cool, they shouldn't have been bought in the first place, we can bring em)
- lazymp means that extra money made from the venue will sometimes go to a pot bonus
- about the treats: great, looking forward to see what they have
- they ran pretty well, always room for improvement, but still not bad at all.

It really is a great series minus the $10 venue fee. Take advice from other TOs and the community, and it will be even better.
How did you do last tourney?

Top Bottom