• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Dec 20, 2014] The Big Beach House (Howell, Michigan)

SonuvaBeach

Smash Lord

The Big Beach House
A New Tournament Series

December 20th, 2014
Howell, MI
https://www.facebook.com/events/791219364257724/
After the smashing success of Beach House's in the past, it's time for a upgrade! It's my pleasure to start a tournament series that signals the start of new things, bigger tournaments, and 20xx. With UM Biweeklies averaging 55-65 entrants & the last two Beach House's having over 60, this is poised to hit 100 people minimum! 150+ wouldn't be surprising and I will be prepared to run everything smoothly!

Featuring:
- New Venue with the capacity to hold well over 100 people!
- Round Robin Pools for Melee Singles (6-8 guaranteed sets)
- AM + PRO bracket for Melee Singles (2 more guaranteed sets minimum)
- Free round of GO-KARTs/ Whirly-ball when you bring a setup!
- AMAZING setup potential. BRING THEM
- An Arcade
- TONS of food options
- Signature Beach TOing (tablet registration, smooth running, tons of setups, big smashfest feel)
- HQ stream
- More to be announced

This is an event you do NOT want to miss. Mark your calendars, this is going to be the best one day tournament this season.

* LOCATION *
The Great Escape Family Fun Center
2630 E Grand River Ave
Howell MI, 48843
http://i.imgur.com/yrSxZKm.jpg

* ENTRY INFO *
Venue Fee - $5 (required from all attendees. Bring a setup to get a free round of whirly-ball or go-karts!)
Melee Singles - $10 (includes round robin pools & am bracket, meaning 8-10 real sets!)
Melee Doubles - $20/team, $10 per person (starts @ 11:30am)
PM singles - $10 (starts @ 11am)

* SCHEDULE *
10am - 11am | Registration available
12:30pm - 1:30 pm | Registration available

11am - 2pm | PM singles
11:15am - 2pm | Melee Doubles to top 3
2pm - 6pm | Melee Pools
6pm - 7pm | Food & Go-kart/whirly ball break
7pm - 10:30pm | Melee Pro & Am Bracket

* SETUPS *
WE NEED SETUPS!
If you bring a setup you will receive a free round of whirly-ball or go-karts. Setups are THE most important part of this tournament. If you can bring one, don't question "will we need it?" WE WILL. And I have room for as many setups as you can bring.
WHEN IN DOUBT - BRING YOUR SETUP
- 20xx and wii setups MUST have the codes all turned off and be monitored by owners periodically throughout the day. In the event of a crash/turn off they must be turned back on.

* WHAT TO BRING *
- SETUPS - as many as you can fit!
- Your gamecube controller
- Enough cash to enter all events you want + venue fee

* FOOD *
* NO outside food/drink within the venue. There are drinking fountains, pop, and food all available within the venue.
* If you do leave to get food, Hungry Howies and Subway are a 30 second walk away. White Castle, Qdoba, Taco Bell, Buffalo Wild Wings, Bennigans, Bob Evans, Burger King, Mcdonalds, Wendys, Arbys, & KFC are all within 5 mins driving time.

* Other Info *
Melee Ruleset:​
* 4 stock, 8:00 minute timer.
* Items OFF.
* Ties after the time limit are determined by stocks, then by percentage.
* Master Hand is banned.
* Wobbling is legal
* Stalling with Jigglypuff’s Rising Pound or Peach’s Wall Bomber is banned.
* Glitches such as Ice Climbers’s Freeze Glitch and Mewtwo’s Soul Stunner are banned.
* Dave’s Stupid Rule: You cannot counterpick any stage you have won on in a set unless agreed upon by the opponent.
* All sets are best-of-3 except Winners Finals, Losers Finals, and Grand Finals.

Stage Strike from Neutrals for the first match of the set in “1221″ fashion:
1. First player strikes one stage.
2. Second player strikes two stages.
3. First player strikes one stage.

Stagelist:

Neutral (Singles)
Battlefield
Yoshi’s Story
Dream Land
Final Destination
Fountain of Dreams

Counterpick (Singles)
Pokemon Stadium

Neutral (Doubles)
Battlefield
Yoshi’s Story
Dream Land
Final Destination
Pokemon Stadium

After each match:
1. Winner announces stage ban (except in best-of-5 sets)
2. Loser chooses counterpick stage
3. Winner chooses their character
4. Loser chooses their character
PM Ruleset:
* 4 stock, 8:00 minute timer.
* All items set to OFF and item frequency set to NONE.
* Input Assist set to OFF.
* Ties after the time limit are determined by stocks, then by percentage.
* Dave’s Stupid Rule: You cannot counterpick any stage you have won on in a set unless agreed upon by the opponent.
* The TO staff reserves the right to change rulesets accordingly in the event of a new release at least two weeks before the tournament.
Stage Strike from Starters for the first match of the set in “1221″ fashion:
1. First player strikes one stage.
2. Second player strikes two stages.
3. First player strikes one stage
Starters:
Lylat Cruise
Pokemon Stadium 2
Battlefield
Fountain of Dreams
Smashville

Counterpicks:
Green Hill Zone
Final Destination
WarioWare Inc.
Dreamland
After each match:
1. Winner announces two (2) stage bans
2. Loser chooses counterpick stage
3. Winner chooses their character
4. Loser chooses their character

Additional Rules:
* Player’s Choice Clause: You may play by a rule outside of this ruleset if your opponent agrees to it as long as it does not deliberately delay the tournament process. In the event of a disagreement, house rules stand.
* Double Blind Character Picks: Players may elect to double blind pick their characters for the first match in case of any disputes.
* Neutral Spawn Points: Players may elect to use neutral spawn points to decide controller ports for the first match in case of any disputes.
* Glitches: Any action that can prevent the game from continuing (freezing, disappearing characters, game reset, etc.) will result in forfeiture of the match for the player that initiated the action. You are responsible for knowing your own character and must be wary about accidentally triggering one of these effects.

Doubles-Specific Rules:
* Life stealing is allowed
* Friendly Fire is turned ON
* Pause is turned OFF
Code of Conduct:
* NO FOOD OR DRINK WITHIN VENUE
* No alcohol or illegal substances inside the venue. Getting caught with these items or evidence of the presence of these items will result in disqualification from the event and eviction from the venue.
* No fighting or weaponry inside the venue. Throwing controllers or acting in a way that could pose a danger to other players will result in disqualification from the event and eviction from the venue.
* No refusal to play on certain setups barring extreme circumstances. All players agree to have their matches recorded if requested by the TO.
* No coaching in-game or between games of a set. The TO reserves the right to disqualify players for either coaching or receiving in-game coaching during a set.
* All disqualifications due to tardiness will be complete DQs, meaning the disqualified player will be removed from both winners and losers bracket, or removed from the entire event if late for a pools match.
* The TO is granted license to use any and all types of video that you may be present in at the event, including camera recordings, livestream broadcasts, and captured gameplay footage.
* The TO is granted license to photograph your image, likeness, or depiction at the event, and you waive any claim for compensation for the event’s use or publication of photographs taken of you.
* The TO reserves the right to deny entry into the tournament to any player suspected of committing anything considered a crime or acting in a manner that is detrimental to the integrity of the event.
* The TO reserves the right to deny payout from event winnings to any player suspected of intentionally throwing a match, splitting a payout, or committing any other form of bracket manipulation.
* The TO reserves the right to settle any unforeseen situations that may occur, and his judgment is final. In extreme situations, rules may be altered between phases of a tournament in the best interests of the event.
* All ejections or disqualifications due to violations of the Code of Conduct or individual game rules will be without refund.
Payouts:
* For every event - for doubles a team = 1 entrant
< 20 entrants
1. 70%
2. 30%

20-40 entrants
1st - 60%
2nd - 30%
3rd - 10%

40-80 entrants
1st - 50%
2nd - 25%
3rd - 15%
4th - 10%

80-150 entrants
1st - 45%
2nd - 25%
3rd - 15%
4th - 10%
5th - 2.5%
150+ entrants
1st Place: 45%
2nd Place: 25%
3rd Place: 15%
4th Place: 5%
5th Place: 3% (x2)
7th Place: 2% (x2)

Last edited:

cisyphus

Smash Ace
Yo update the PM stagelist: TOs and I have discussed and have settled on a nine-stage list.

Edit: waiting on 3.5 changes

Last edited:

tinyboss

Smash Rookie
how many people do you think will be there? Because I am interested in going

SonuvaBeach

Smash Lord
how many people do you think will be there? Because I am interested in going
With UM Biweeklies getting ~55-65 entrants on average in a small venue and Beach House's also averaging 55-65 entrants, this is poised to hit 100 minimum. I'm anticipating and preparing for anywhere in the realm of 100-200 entrants. There will be room for over 30 setups total, likely 40 or more.

tm

Smash Ace
Damn, was hoping for one of the alt rulesets :174:
maybe next time?

cisyphus

Smash Ace
To lay it out explicitly, the PM stagelist will stand as:

Starters:
Lylat Cruise
Pokemon Stadium 2
Battlefield
Fountain of Dreams
Smashville

Counterpicks:
Green Hill Zone
Final Destination
WarioWare Inc.
Dreamland

Winner gets 2 bans, DSR is in effect, and gentleman's clause allows any stage selection should both players want it. There are two points of controversy here, I'm sure:

1. No Skyworld or Yoshi's Island Brawl (and Yoshi's Story Melee to a lesser extent)
The cause for this is based primarily in the unconventional aspects of both stages. Yoshi's Story has the fault of extremely small blast zones (the smallest of all stages) as well as disruptive Shy Guys (which can cause hitlag and extend otherwise whiffed hitboxes in difficult to predict ways) and the magnanimous Randall semi-random platform, as well as the sloped platforms. Many of these complaints can translate to Yoshi's Island, which also has an uneven base platform as well as semi-random support ghosts and shy guys. Moreover, its central platform is highly irregular in the context of the other legal stages. Skyworld on the other hand has highly irregular platforms that are misleading in their collision detection points. The other portion of this change comes with the fact that the blast zones of these stages are accounted for by other stages which can be chosen instead of them: Skyworld's blast zones are characterized by a high ceiling and neutral side blast zones—so it's useful against fast fallers. Its function can therefore be attained by Dreamland, and to a lesser extent FoD and GHZ (whose ceilings are nearly as high). It's essentially a jankier Dreamland and, based on my experience, the least-chosen Counterpick stage of the 11 common stages (those listed above). Yoshi's Island similarly has a blastzone complex that is served as well by other stages—most notably Battlefield, which has identical blast zones, and Lylat Cruise. Its platform as well is reminiscent of Smashville and Green Hill Zone, feeling repetitious. Even with its 3.5 modifications (which fix a lot of the initial issues the PM TOs had with it) it feels too inconstant for the type of play we desire from PM. I've also learned that characters like Luigi and Pikachu still get their recoveries gimped by the shy guys on this stage, so having it listed is essentially taking away one of these players' counterpicks, which isn't fair.

2. Lylat Cruise over Green Hill Zone as a starter.
Our analysis of the stages is based on three main qualities:
1. Platform orientation
2. Blast Zones
3. Stage Size
Of these three qualities, Lylat Cruise emerges quite remarkably as the second most neutral stage (Battlefield being the first). It has three platforms that eliminate chain grabs (the main problem with FD that's reduced it to a Counter)—a key element that PS2 lacks, given its large center stage; it has moderate blast zones, with just a slightly wider side blast zone than Battlefield and a near-identical ceiling; and its base platform is only slightly wider than the average. All of these together discourage camping without favoring heavy/fastfall characters, encouraging a general balance across the cast. Green Hill Zone, meanwhile, has the element of its irregular top platform (giving it an FD feel at times), a small base platform (it's one of the smallest, in fact), and extremely close side blast zones combined with a slightly high ceiling. All of these considered together point Lylat Cruise as the proper starter, despite its ire as "the new Battlefield." Considering all of these points, it seems easy to see that he starters serve as such:

1. Lylat allows chain grabbable characters a safety zone, able to avoid the PS2/GHZ/Smashville triad which forced them into unfavorable situations beforehand.
2. Battlefield maintains its near-perfect neutrality and gives a large degree of space
3. Pokemon Stadium 2 gives long horizontal mobility at the cost of the vertical
4. Smashville provides an FD-lite sensation with the mobile, singular platform
5. Fountain of Dreams provides a high ceiling option that isn't as polarizing as Dreamland, again providing a dynamic and active first match, as opposed to a game of monotonous edgeguards.

All of this works to create a streamlined, fast-paced gameplay that's exciting and engaging to watch and play, while still being balanced. Anyone that disagrees of course has the Gentleman's clause to rebuke this decision.

Last edited:

tinyboss

Smash Rookie
I really want to go but it looks like I can't, do you guys have a twitch stream that I could maybe watch on that day?

SonuvaBeach

Smash Lord
I really want to go but it looks like I can't, do you guys have a twitch stream that I could maybe watch on that day?
Sorry for the late reply! I am currently looking into streaming options. Our HQ and resident streamer will be there and will record the stream, but due to there being no internet and not wanting to rely on tethering, we likely will hold off on results until Sunday night and re-broadcast the stream on Sunday! Honestly, this is exciting news to me as many attendee's will get to watch the tournament again next day.

SonuvaBeach

Smash Lord
I already have the current best streamer in Michigan on board actually. The problem is the internet, as my options are to pay $150 a month in a 6 month contract with comcast, or to buy $300 of data and tether off a phone (unreliable and hella expensive), both of which aren't viable options. Instead we are going to record the stream in HQ with commentary and all that, and then the stream will broadcast on Sunday instead of live on Saturday. Don't tell anyone the results and then watch it again as a spectator on Sunday :D

cisyphus

Smash Ace
^^I was thinking about this point as well: if ZTD or GVSU are attending, then we could certainly get a second stream setup. I do gotta inform y'all that PM is gonna run super tight and if Beach says no, it's a no. Regardless, know that you'd have to restream it Sunday since the internet at the venue is garbage.

SonuvaBeach

Smash Lord
Is Melee Dubs or PM going to be recorded?
^^I was thinking about this point as well: if ZTD or GVSU are attending, then we could certainly get a second stream setup. I do gotta inform y'all that PM is gonna run super tight and if Beach says no, it's a no. Regardless, know that you'd have to restream it Sunday since the internet at the venue is garbage.
We can certainly get another stream setup - rodohk is likely going to be hard recording things to upload later to the YT channel. So we could make that a PM recording setup until 2 if we like.

Although I haven't worked out the exact schedule, I would like to stream PM and likely only stream WF, LF and GF for Melee Dubs. It's expected that the stream is constantly full of matches, but not everything can be recorded. Only ~3 hours to finish the bracket means delays will hold up the entire tournament.

Blenderer

Smash Rookie
I already have the current best streamer in Michigan on board actually. The problem is the internet, as my options are to pay $150 a month in a 6 month contract with comcast, or to buy $300 of data and tether off a phone (unreliable and hella expensive), both of which aren't viable options. Instead we are going to record the stream in HQ with commentary and all that, and then the stream will broadcast on Sunday instead of live on Saturday. Don't tell anyone the results and then watch it again as a spectator on Sunday :D
You could always "Trial" a higher internet speed and then say you don't want it within a month, you get your money back. I've done that at a few of my LANs and it worked pretty well.

SonuvaBeach

Smash Lord
You could always "Trial" a higher internet speed and then say you don't want it within a month, you get your money back. I've done that at a few of my LANs and it worked pretty well.
Thanks for the suggestion! I'm definitely going to look into it for future events.

Top Bottom