• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Dec 12/13, 2014] Iron Games Columbus [PM: Friday, Melee: Saturday] 600$$ pot base (Columbus, OH)

enflikted

Smash Rookie

Iron Games Columbus
Dec 12-14 2014
Facebook | Twitter | Website | YouTube | Twitch
Compete in Super Smash Bros Melee and Project M on your own or with a teammate at Iron Games Columbus. Iron Gaming is a tournament production company with a history in Halo and Call of Duty, and began expanding its horizons this year with Smite and CS:GO, and now I am excited to bring Smash to one of our major events. I'll be working with a team of South Atlantic and Midwest smashers to make sure we pull this tournament off well. The rest of the information for the tournament is available below, but if you have any questions or are interested in helping out, contact me:
Justin 'enflikted' Windler
Tournament Coordinator
justinw@irongaming.tv
@ E enflikted

VENUE:
Greater Columbus Convention Center
400 N High St
Columbus, OH 43215

HOTEL:
Hyatt Regency Columbus (Directly across the street from venue)
350 N High St
Columbus, OH 43215
(614)463-1234

For $119+tax per night, click here.

SCHEDULE:
Project M 12/12:

10:00AM Equipment & Check-in / Registration
12:00PM Doors open & Setup
01:00PM Singles pools
02:00PM Doubles bracket
04:00PM Singles top 32

Melee 12/13:

08:30AM Doors open & Setup
11:00AM Singles pools
01:00PM Doubles bracket
03:00PM Singles top 32

*Times are based on total of 12 setups and an expected # of entrants <100. Schedule is, of course, subject to change and will be updated as such changes are made.

There will be a discount of $10 at the door for players who bring a FULL setup, but only the first 12 setups in the door each day will be permitted. *If you bring a setup for Project M AND Melee, you still only get the discount/refund once, since venue fee is a one-time charge for the weekend*

PASSES:
Passes are available online here through EventBrite for both Melee and PM singles. Both passes do include weekend admission, however. So I recommend you just purchase one pass online, and you'll be able to enter additional events at the door.

Online passes(includes admission):
Melee Singles - $30
Project M Singles - $30

Paying at the door:
Venue Pass - $30
Melee Singles entry - $15
Melee Doubles entry - $30($15 per player)
PM Singles - $15
PM Doubles - $30($15 per player)

PRIZING:
Super Smash Bros at Iron Games Columbus has a base pool of $600 and $15 of each pass will add to it. 100% of entry fees at the door will go into the pool as well.

Singles: $200 + entry fees + DXRacer Gaming Chair
Doubles: $100 + entry fees

Payout:
1st - 50%
2nd -25%
3rd -15%
4th - 10%
(If entrants reach a breaking point that makes sense, this may be altered prior to the tournament's start.)

*NEW* DXRacer has seen fit to reward our Singles champions with one of their gaming chairs! They came in sponsoring the whole event, and expressed a lot of interest when we told them we were running Smash as well and wanted to be part of it! Unfortunately, the winners, if choosing to claim their chair, must pick it up Sunday when DXRacer closes their booth. It's up to you!

RULESETS:
Singles: Pool play will be round-robin. Players with the best records will advance to bracket. Actual pool size and number of players that advance will be settled based on final number of entrants.
Doubles: Teams will play straight through a double-elimination bracket after "=rand()" seeding.

Super Smash Bros Melee

Format: 1v1
Gametype: Versus
Map(s): Neutral - Final Destination, Battlefield, Yoshi’s Story, Dreamland, Fountain of Dreams; Counter-picks - Pokemon Stadium
Stocks: 4
Time limit: 8 Minutes
Items: Off
-Pause is disabled. If a pause happens, that player forfeits a stock.
-Glitches and Stalling are banned.
-A tie is determined by most stocks. If tied for stocks, then percentage determines winner. If percentage is tied, the map is replayed.

Format: 2v2
Map(s): Neutral - Final Destination, Battlefield, Yoshi’s Story, DreamLand, Pokemon Stadium; Counter-picks - Kongo Jungle
Friendly Fire: On
-Glitches and Stalling are banned.
-Stock-sharing is permitted.
-A tie is determined by most stocks. If tied for stocks, then percentage determines winner. If percentage is tied, the map is replayed.

Project M v3.5

Format: 1v1
Map(s): Neutral - Battlefield, Smashville, Pokemon Stadium 2, DreamLand, Green Hill Zone; Counter-picks - Final Destination, Skyworld, WarioWare, Lylat Cruise, Fountain of Dreams, Yoshi's Island
-Glitches and Stalling are banned and will result in the initiating player to forfeit the match. Players are responsible for knowing their character and to be cautious of triggering these effects.

Format: 2v2
Map(s): Neutral - Battlefield, Smashville, Pokemon Stadium 2, DreamLand, Green Hill Zone; Counter-picks - Final Destination, Skyworld, Lylat Cruise, WarioWare, Fountain of Dreams, Yoshi's Island
Friendly Fire: On
-Glitches and Stalling are banned and will result in the initiating player to forfeit the match. Players are responsible for knowing their character and to be cautious of triggering these effects.
-Stock-sharing is permitted.

OTHER RULES:
Equipment: Players are required to provide their own controller. GameCube controller is preferred, but Wiimotes and Pro controllers are permitted.

Player’s Choice Clause: You may play by a rule outside of this ruleset if your opponent agrees to it as long as it does not deliberately delay the tournament process. In the event of a disagreement, house rules stand.

Double Blind Character Picks: Players may elect to double blind pick their characters for the first match in case of any disputes.

Neutral Spawn Points: Players may elect to use neutral spawn points to decide controller ports for the first match in case of any disputes.

Glitches: Any action that can prevent the game from continuing (freezing, disappearing characters, game reset, etc.) will result in forfeiture of the match for the player that initiated the action. You are responsible for knowing your own character and must be wary about accidentally triggering one of these effects.

Placings in Singles Pools are determined based on:
1. number of sets won
2. winning percentage in games (win/loss ratio)
3. head-to-head winner

In the event of an X-way tie in Singles Pools after all tiebreakers are exhausted, a best-of-1 round robin will be played out between the X players until there is a clear order of placings

How to Play a Set:
  1. Players select their characters. Either player may elect to Double Blind
  2. Use Stage Striking to determine the first stage
    1. Stage Striking: For the 1st match, stage strike the starter list in 1-2-1 fashion. After each match, the winner of the previous match bans 2 stages (Players may counterpick a stage that they previously banned in the set, but may not counterpick a stage on which they won previously in the set). The player who lost the previous match chooses a stage, then the player who won chooses their character, then the player who lost chooses their character.
  3. The players play the first match of the set
  4. Prior to starting this match, either player may elect to Contest Port Priority or Neutral Start. Note: Only one of these two may be used, as both have a built in Port Selection mechanism using RPS. If there is a situation where a player would like to change which option they elected after playing the game of RPS, it is the opponent’s choice to allow it. The results from the previously played game of RPS will carry over.
  5. Winning player of the preceding match bans a stage/stages (if applicable). Refer to 2a.
  6. The losing player of the preceding match picks a stage for the next match.
  7. The winning player of the preceding match may choose to change characters.
  8. The losing player of the preceding match may choose to change characters.
  9. The losing player of the preceding match gets first pick of port. Either player may elect for a neutral Start, but RPS will not be played to determine first pick.
  10. The next match is played.
  11. Repeat Steps 4 through 9 for all subsequent matches until the set is complete.
ALSO, everyone attending the event is subject to the Iron Gaming Conduct and Event rules found here.

*EDIT* Pre-Registration is LIVE! You must pre-register to guarantee that OoS will be kept out of the same groups as much as possible. Go here to complete the form: http://goo.gl/forms/7utJYwt963

Last edited:

thatoneguyintheback

Smash Apprentice
No smash Wii U? Doubt there will be much interest then. It's too near release not to have it but that's just in my opinion.

Last edited:

enflikted

Smash Rookie
It should be new, since this is the company's first true foray into producing a Smash tournament. And pretty much all of our marketing has been towards Halo 2. I'm originally from Indianapolis, where I worked with IndySmash from March through July of this year and have been involved locally here in southern Tennessee since I moved in August. I'm familiar with the Cincinnati group, and of course Windy City and Michigan, but have never heard an event come out of Columbus before. So if you're insulted that I didn't contact you, I do apologize, and I definitely want local Smashers involved. That's really a cornerstone of the scene and I'd be remiss to ignore it.

Last edited:

Drephen

Smash Master
Are the dates correct that this is a friday/saturday tournament and not a saturday/sunday one? Just verifying if I need to call off work

enflikted

Smash Rookie
Reason being, we have to be done by 6pm on Sunday and Halo will be taking up a lot of time. But if the Smash tournaments bleed over into the next day a little bit, it's not a big deal.

Crow!

Smash Lord
For some feedback, I was looking through Smash Boards for a Smash for Wii U tournament in Columbus; if that game were included instead of / in addition to Melee variants I would likely have joined.

enflikted

Smash Rookie
The issue(as a tournament company) with running Smash 4 so soon is a lack of a uniform ruleset and not all players willing to bring their setups due to how expensive a setup is. Sure, I could play around with rulesets and have one that works for this event, but I'd rather let the veterans of the community work it out. GCN adapters and such are in extremely high demand right now and they're small enough to be swiped. My job is to run our tournaments as best as possible. With Smash 4, there are more variables that I wouldn't be equipped to deal with, but I know I can run Melee and PM with very minimal issue, if any.

enflikted

Smash Rookie
I'm already working on plans for Smash 4, but since this event was conceived and announced before the launch of Smash for Wii U, I was not anywhere near comfortable adding it to this event.

Top Bottom