• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Debute Smile Idol: Tsubasa Oribe for Smash Switch (Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE #Encore Confirmed. Aaaaaaaaaaaaah!)

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Tsubasa Makes Some Noise For Her Fanbase

Who is this idol?

Young Tsubasa is a girl from the Wii U RPG Tokyo Mirage Sessions. The plot of the game starts off with a Great Disappearing that involved countless Mirages kidnapping every single individual during hr sister's performance, leaving her as a only survivor. Something that traumatized her, but didn't stop her desire to aim for the top as an idol. Her kidnapping would leader her to me Caeda and contract herself as a Mirage Master, a special performer who can travel in Idolapsheres to eradicate the evil Mirages that desire the Performa of a human's soul. Her accomplishments would lead to her becoming a hit idol thanks to her song Feel among other duets, conquer her fear of posing as a model, fully scripted a kiss scene with Itsuki, defeat the evil Mirages, and take on Gharnef's forces that threatened the world. She still remains an icon of Fortuna Entertainment ever since and become stronger as an idol thanks to her new allies.

How can Tsubasa work as a fighter? She's too cute.

Tokyo Mirage Sessions is a celebration of Fire Emblem and Shin Megami Tensei despite the focus on J-Pop and otehr important parts of the Japanese industry. Even her overall design doesn't feel too much like both series, which allows her to stand out in a good way. Being Caeda's Mirage Partner, she is a Pegasus Knight with heavy access to good spear related abilities (Lunge, etc). She's also a self defensive healer and buffer with spells like Mediorama and Rakukaja. This would be an interesting gimmick that allows her to heal or even buff herself briefly in a fight. Not to mention the good Force Spells that allow her to attack with magic wind. Did I forget to mention that she has her own Mechanical Pegasus steed?

Still not convincing enough for you? She also has access to Ad-Lib performances that can activate at random to dish out the pain in the original game. It can be something simple like shooting crystal hearts when performing a duet or even sliding down a water plume to spear her foes. She can even use her trademark Seductive Pose to even make her foes fall head over heels for her. This is one cute idol that one should never underestimate in combat.

Arguments Against Tsubasa

There are too many Fire Emblem characters.

FYI, Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE is treated as an original IP with crossover elements Despite having Cipher Cards or adopting elemnts of the main series, it's technically not a Fire Emblem game. Even the characters aren't fully owned by Intelligent Systems as they said obtaining them for Fire Emblem Heroes would be difficult other than saying they wouldn't fit well. Their statement also applies to the fact that she doesn't fit in as a Fire Emblem character despite having some traits or even a Class from the series. Thus making her a Tokyo Mirage Sessions character with her own separate modern universe than adding more to the overrepresentation.
Tsubasa is too sexualized for Smash. She is is just idol trash that would ruin Smash.

:4corrinf: and :4bayonetta2: says hi!
Also Barbara the Bat too since she's easily Betty Boop levels of sexy with her design for an Assist Trophy.
Just add a little more padding where her cleavage is and she's a easy fit. Even then, she wears black shorts under her skirt, making her a safe inclusion for the game. Tsubasa herself is rarely a sexual character in nature when real world idol function on "cuteness" over sex appeal with their public personalities and costumes. Look at AKB48 for example or even other famous Japan idol groups out there. Even her using her feminine wiles on Board and Cord are barely considered "mature".
As for her adding "idol trash", it's a matter of opinion. The music she brings would be option and her presence isn't bad as Mara. She's does her job as a cute idol that sings for a massive audience across Tokyo and you don't need to listen to the Japanese soundtrack that Tokyo Mirage Sessions bring if you don't want too. If people are fine with Callie & Marie, then why not her?

Itsuki is the main character, should he get priority over her? But what about the others?

Thing is, both characters are just as important. But Tsubasa is the one who has a dream and most of the story focuses on her (at least towards the end). In fact, she's easily one of the most developed characters in the story despite her sister being put on a bus after her rescue. The Mirages plotted to kidnap her because she survived the Great Disappearance, she is the one who has her own arc over growing comfortable with her own body in modeling, she gets the most costumes and Dual Arts in the entire game, she dragged Itsuki into the whole Mirage Master mess (even if it was Maiko's idea), and she's got enough promotion on her side other than the Cipher cards. Itsuki is the main character, but but she's just as popular, if not, more popular than him of all TMS characters. Characters like Ellie and Touma are alright, but they would be low priority compared both main protagonists when choosing a Tokyo Mirage Sessions character for Smash.

Moveset
Entrance Animation: Caeda rides onto the stage in her Pegasus Chariot with Tsubasa behind her. She jumps out in her high school uniform before raising her hand as Caeda glows. Soon as the pegasus disappears in a flash of light, Caeda and Tsubasa are engulfed in a bright rainbow light. Eventually, the idol would be revealed in her cute Carnage Form with a giggle.
Idle Animation: Tsubasa stands while swaying her dress side to side, with a look determination and both hands held by her sides. There are times when she would twirl her spear playfully or simply hums with her hands and weapon behind her back.
Walk: She slowly struts while holding her spear in an alert manner.
Run: She dashes with a quick run while holding her spear out to the side.
Sleeping Animation: She falls to her knees and sleep in a cute manner. Her spear is now touching the ground while still in hand.
Dizzy Animation: She wobbles around with her hand on her head and the spear struggling to be held in the other.
Dodge Animation: She hops to the side as if she were dancing.
Normals
Jab:
Tsubasa thrusts her spear once with Caeda appearing from her body to initiate a helmsplitter and her master deals the final upwards swing. Continuously attacking after that last hit would result in Caeda thrusting multiple times with her spear while Tsubasa watches in awe.
Forward Tilt
Tsubasa does a heavy stab (reference to Espada) and Caeda follows up with a side swing.
Up Tilt
Tsubasa does a quick upwards strike.
Down Tilt:
She stabs towards the ground with the full reach of her spear.
Dash Attack:
Tsubasa swings her spear wildly before calling Caeda to deal the last hit.
Neutral Air
Tsubasa rotates her spear while facing forward with Caeda amplifying that attack.
Forward Air
Tsubasa commands Caeda to swing ahead of her.
Back Air
Caeda gestures Tsubasa that there's someone behind her, prompting her to quickly swing behind herself in fear.
Up Air
Tsubasa does a drilling attack above her with her spear, which has a sort of wind box due to the Force magic.
Down Air
Both Caeda and Tsubasa swing below each other from both sides really hard, worthing as a Meteor Smash.
Forward Smash:
Tsubasa pulls back her spear while Caeda appears with her weapon ready for an attack. The both of the stab together at a a powerful force that causes major wind damage.
Up Smash:
Tsubasa gathers wind in her own spear while having her eyes closed in a charging stance. Then she yells while thrusting the spear into the ground to initiate a heavy tornado extending from her body. This can trap and rack damage for foes before launching them.
Down Smash:
Tsubasa holds her spear to the side as Caeda appears to the other side of her. Then the two would deal a powerful downwards slash to the opponent's feet for both sides. There's a slight wind effect if the foe gets hit by the tip.
Grab:
Tsubasa summons Caeda before her to reach out her right hand while the later yells "Over there!".
Pummel:
Tsubasa commands Caeda to continuously kick them while that victim is within her grasp.
Forward Throw
Tsubasa yells "Take that!" before Caeda headbutts her foe then swing away with her spear.
Back Throw:
Caeda toss the foe to Tsubasa, who then does a heavy overhead swing that knocks the foe backwards and almost causes her to fall behind from the force.
Up Throw:
Caeda knocks the foe into the air for Tsubasa to quickly deal a flip kick on the foe before he/she flies above them.
Down Throw
Tsubasa commands Caeda to kneel the foe into the ground while the latter stomps them several times. She tend signals Tsubasa to stomp for the final blow, which she comically falls onto the foe due to her clumsiness.
Neutral Special: Force Spell: Zan/Zanma/Mazan/Mazandyne
Tsubasa would use this classic Shin Megami Tensei spell to charge strong winds into her blade while looking focused. Depending on the charge, she would cast a spell by its name and attacks his opponents with it. Zan allows a minor blast of wind to appear before her which is the default press or minimum charge. Zanma allows her to launch a powerful blast of wing before her at medium charge. Mazan allows her to launch a series of wind pillars before her in a row (with a length of a weak Shadow Ball) at a much larger charge. Then Mazandyne allows her to launch a powerful wind storm around her entire body at a length of two Bowsers at maximum charge. Like Robin, she would have to be completely still to charge and would only be allowed to fully move around with that charge when it's full.
Side Special: Session Attack
The first part of this attack would result in Tsubasa dashing at the foe with her spear ready for an attack. If this connects, she would deal an Espada to their body to cause the foe to fly. Pressing the Special Method again would result in Caeda appearing near the foe to deal another deadly attack to the opponent to knock him/her away. Pressing it for the last time would result in Tsubasa to home in towards her opponent and deal the final strong attack. This would cause the two to combo their opponents with a consecutive attack from far way.
Over all, there are different variations of how the move works based on the direction of the button where Tsubasa or Caeda are near the opponent after they press the Side Special move. The foe can be knocked to the side, into the air, or towards the ground based on this inputs (there are no backwards attacks with this special). Though the move can be rather risky since the third strike can lead Tsubasa flying off bounds with the opponent and fall towards the ground in a defenseless manner after the attack.
When used in mid air, it allows her to do an aerial dash and works very well as a great recovery move if there aren't any opponents in the way. It more or less functions the same with all three Side Special pressed when you are near an opponent or if you send Caeda after him/her during the second press.
Up Special: Life Drain
Tsubasa shouts "I can do this!" before lunging a fair distance with her spear based on where the stick is pointed. If she succeeds in latching onto a foe, Caeda holds her master's victim in place and slowly saps away their life (which heals any damage Tsubasa has and grant more damage to the opponent). This is a secondary recovery option that happens to be great when dealt with properly. When she hits a wall, her spear will be briefly stuck and Caeda would appear briefly to sigh in shock. If she connects to a foe when her image ratio is 0%, the move will be completely in effective as there is nothing to "sap". When attacked while she lunges, the special is failed and she will be in a helpless state in midair.
Down Special: Sexy Dance
Tsubasa struts in a cute manner and bends down as if she's modeling. Her next words are "I am the Debute Smile Idol, Tsubsa Oribe", the starts to dance in a suggestive manner that involve wiggling hips and disarming herself. In this state, she is surrounded by a series of flying hearts that emit from her body. Like the SMT series, this would inflict a Charm status on her foes. A charmed opponent would have hearts flying from their head and their body would flash pink, showing that they fell for Tsubasa's charms. Controls would be reversed, making it difficult for your opponents to move well and CPU's would be likely to attack anyone on their team as if they have a mind lost in cuteness.
It is possible to attack Tsubasa before she can fully initiate her sexy dance. And one can even dodge her from up close too since the hearts would fly at a distance of twice of Yoshi's tongue length during his grab. And it will be mechanically possible to charm any opponent regardless of their gender.
Final Smash: Aerial Dance
Based on one of her basic Critical Arts, Tsubasa would toss her spear into the air before it would spin rapidly to generate a wide storm. She yells "Caeda, let's show them what we are made of!". This is a Final Smash that depends on the number of opponents that are hit by the storm and it triggers a cutscene where the attacked foes windup in the Idolsphere, seemingly on a stage similar to the one Tsubasa performed on during her last side quests. The trapped opponents would be shocked by the people cheering for them only to see a flash of light in skies.
The twinkle would be both Caeda and Tsubasa charging at them at high speeds on their Pegasus Chariot with their eyes dead on their foes. Tsubasa yells "Caeda, are you ready?", then her faithful Mirage Partner nods as they reach the stage. The result would be the chariot rabidly charging around the stage at blinding speeds to damage all opponents with the crowd cheering loudly from their performance. Then the chariot would fly into the air before crashing into the stage to send all opponents flying into the stratosphere with the crowd cheering. It returns to regular gameplay with the foe flying (and possibly KO's based on their damage input) with Caeda appearing behind Tsubasa while the latter laughs joyfully. This would result in Tsubasa doing a trademark idol wink before the Caeda reenters her body.
Taunt 1: Tsubasa hums her theme Feel while briefly dancing with the same animations from her music video. This is all done while her spear briefly disappears.
Taunt 2: Tsubasa is alarmed by a sudden ring on her phone and takes out to frantically answer it. Then she hangs it up with a sigh and her spear appears again when it's over.
Taunt 3: Tsubasa takes out the brand Fortuna Soda and drinks it. Then Caeda appears to briefly laugh at her thirst, causing her to spit it out and wipes her mouth with a red face.
Victory Animation 1: Tsubasa spins her spear a few times seriously with Caeda appearing beside her for the last swing. "We are the Fortuna's Best Stars" she yells the end.
Victory Animation 2: Tsubasa reverts back into her Civilian Form in a flash and breathes heavily in exhaustion Her last words would be "That was something that not even Barry can train me with," as Caeda appears to pat her partner's back.
Victory Animation 3: Tsubasa sings the lyrics for Dream Catcher with Eleonora while drawing a massive crystal heart together. The heart is destroyed by both Virion and Caeda respectively, leading the duet to laugh nervously at how their partner's ruined their attack.

Tsubasa's Fan Club
Aussie the Shinobi
Yomi's Biggest Fan
Lord-Zero
MIAvoy
Kirbeh
DarkAuraful
nirvanafan
smashkirby
MrRoidly
kool2419
SquashiniKun
SEGAGameBoy
psb123
Dyllybirdy

Last edited:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
- Reserved Space for Future Projects -

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
You know what this place needs? A list of Tsubasa's best songs in her idol career! Though If you are tired, then that's perfectly fine.

Please don't mind me supporting despite that one part sounds like you are heavily downgrading Itsuki's importance. Though I will let that slice for now since we are rivals. This is like the olds days when I fought for Azura while you won the bets with Corrin's inclusion.

But let's stay on topic. Like, wouldn't you want her other outfits to appear as well? And even though this might trigger the anti-censorship crowd, I kind of want her "Hipster" costume in Smash too. You now which one I'm talking about.

Lord-Zero

Smash Lord
"Sacred Idol" Tsubasa Oribe...I like her so I'll support her as well.

As for FEH, "difficult" my butt. They managed to get into FE Cipher which means thta Atlus is willing to spread the awareness of these characters. TMS #FE stuff in FEH would be a Paralogue gold mine. I want a Paralogue with Veronica trying to become an idol and Xander, encouraged by Barry, awakens his inner fanboy side (complete with a Veronica shirt) and becomes her #1 fan with him swinging Siegfried like a giant glowstick. With that, they'd have exclusive variants for Xander and Veronica.

Back on topic, "Hipster" outfit would be cool to have as an alt.

Last edited:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
You know what this place needs? A list of Tsubasa's best songs in her idol career! Though If you are tired, then that's perfectly fine.

Please don't mind me supporting despite that one part sounds like you are heavily downgrading Itsuki's importance. Though I will let that slice for now since we are rivals. This is like the olds days when I fought for Azura while you won the bets with Corrin's inclusion.

But let's stay on topic. Like, wouldn't you want her other outfits to appear as well? And even though this might trigger the anti-censorship crowd, I kind of want her "Hipster" costume in Smash too. You now which one I'm talking about.
I'll add a song list later. Because she gets the most of them, that's what I severed the second post for.

Good time.s I would like to be proven wrong, but I can see her being likelier because she's an idol while Itsuki is just "Itsuki".

For me, I can see her Feel costumes (given the nature of Smash, it will be censored one) and the Give Me costume. The wedding dress wouldn't be appropriate because it would restrict her movement (other than the ugly one we got in the West). There's also the bikini, but something tells me Sakurai would ignore it and go for the "Hipster" outfit instead. Sure that would confuse some Japanese audiences, but that didn't stop him from keeping the Zapper the same internationally for Duck Hunt than using the original gun-like design.

"Sacred Idol" Tsubasa Oribe...I like her so I'll support her as well.

As for FEH, "difficult" my butt. They managed to get into FE Cipher which means thta Atlus is willing to spread the awareness of these characters. TMS #FE stuff in FEH would be a Paralogue gold mine. I want a Paralogue with Veronica trying to become an idol and Xander, encouraged by Barry, awakens his inner fanboy side (complete with a Veronica shirt) and becomes her #1 fan with him swinging Siegfried like a giant glowstick. With that, they'd have exclusive variants for Xander and Veronica.

Back on topic, "Hipster" outfit would be cool to have as an alt.
True. It would only mean getting some permission from AVEX for the songs and Atlus for the characters. Lol, that would be an interesting prologue for the game, Xander always screamed "Idol Fanboy" to be since the day I seen him. Hell, he could join the boy band if he wanted to. Eat your heart out Yashiro.

It would be cool. Imagine her pulling gang signs while wearing it. Though it would certainly trigger the censorship protesters. :troll:

Tikivoy

Smashing idol~
Switch FC
SW-4447-4606-8984
Count me in for the fan club. I might prefer Itsuki as a Smash rep, but i'm also for Tsubasa since she's my favorite from the game. And Nintendo's first idol.

Please remember to use this as the thread's "One of Us" equivalent whenever a new supporter joins:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Count me in for the fan club. I might prefer Itsuki as a Smash rep, but i'm also for Tsubasa since she's my favorite from the game. And Nintendo's first idol.

Please remember to use this as the thread's "One of Us" equivalent whenever a new supporter joins:
That's the spirit. Definitely going add you to the fan club. She would be our first idol unless Callie and Marie beats her out in Smash 7. lol

Right. That image alone is perfect enough for the new One of Us.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I'll add a song list later. Because she gets the most of them, that's what I severed the second post for.

Good time.s I would like to be proven wrong, but I can see her being likelier because she's an idol while Itsuki is just "Itsuki".

For me, I can see her Feel costumes (given the nature of Smash, it will be censored one) and the Give Me costume. The wedding dress wouldn't be appropriate because it would restrict her movement (other than the ugly one we got in the West). There's also the bikini, but something tells me Sakurai would ignore it and go for the "Hipster" outfit instead. Sure that would confuse some Japanese audiences, but that didn't stop him from keeping the Zapper the same internationally for Duck Hunt than using the original gun-like design.

True. It would only mean getting some permission from AVEX for the songs and Atlus for the characters. Lol, that would be an interesting prologue for the game, Xander always screamed "Idol Fanboy" to be since the day I seen him. Hell, he could join the boy band if he wanted to. Eat your heart out Yashiro.

It would be cool. Imagine her pulling gang signs while wearing it. Though it would certainly trigger the censorship protesters. :troll:
To be fair, we do have Samus were her two piece, which is skimpy enough in Smash by a "female designer". So I don't see how bad the bikini would be. And adding the "Hipster Costume" would definitely use some confusion for the Japanese audiences that don't have that in their versions of the game. Instead, they would only ridicule it as a reminder of the game's localization. Ironically, they would be perfectly fine with a Swimsuit Itsuki when Swimsuit Shulk exists.

Rants aside, I definitely expect the Feel (censored or not) and Give Me costumes the most. Not sure how the wedding dress would really work when her legs needs good movement in a fight. But that will be all.

We aren't sure when the Heroes developers will ever think about going for an extra mile just to have them in the game. There are enough contradictions to prove that Tsubasa and her friends can fit in, complete with a level in a Tokyo Idolaphere. Nah, I wouldn't say Xander looks better than Yashiro (Wait, I'm not gay).

And I don't see Sakurai using gang signs in Smash either. Think of the children. :troll:

Kirbeh

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
Is TMS#FE really considered it's own IP? I thought it was still counted as a spin-off game?

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Is TMS#FE really considered it's own IP? I thought it was still counted as a spin-off game?
I would say given the crossover nature of TMS and different setting not taking place in either universe, it is considered it's own IP in the same vein of the Kingdom Hearts games. While TMS is a spinoff in nature, it plays far too differently from a Fire Emblem game and Altus owns most of the rights to it than Nintendo. Sure it can also be argued for Koei with Hyrule Warriors, Avex and Altus had to be credited for the creation of the Cipher cards for the cast.

So Tsubasa may have the feel of Fire Emblem character, she's not really considered one If that makes sense (unlike Geno who's a Mushroom Kingdom character despite the Square ordeal). Hence the Heroes director saying how it would be hard for them to fit in with the other Fire Emblem
characters when asked about them. They would have added Tsubasa and her party in a heart beat if they were considered Fire Emblem characters (other than the Mirages who are stylized versions of the Fire Emblem characters Nintendo and Intelligent Ststems owns).

My apologies for the wall of text.

Last edited:

Kirbeh

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
No it's perfectly fine, though I have to say I personally wouldn't count that as a wall of text. Needs several more paragraphs if not pages for that. And I preemptively apologize for my own wall of text if I happen to make one. (I have a bad habit of doing so...)

Back on topic though, despite how different it is, I'd imagine it is still considered a Fire Emblem game. Not a mainline entry, but still a spin-off to the FE series. The #FE attached is still for Fire Emblem isn't it? And again despite how different it plays, Mario spin-offs are all still part of the Mario franchise, so I'm not sure that discounts TMS as an FE game.

While it borrows heavily from SMT/Persona, TMS still explicity uses FE characters and a few elements do carry over from the main games. And now that I've brought up SMT and Persona this is the point I want to get to. Do you think it'd be fair to consider TMS the Persona of FE? It's a self contained game with a majority of it's content being unique and original, but it's still clear that it's utilizing certain elements from the main series.

Perhaps I'm reaching, but I do feel that it fits that bill more than a game like Kingdom Hearts or Project X Zone. And just to clarify, I'm not trying to discount Tsubasa, I'm just not sure about the game's placement in terms of IPs. I get what you mean about them not being considered FE characters, but I think it might a Persona situation where they're technically a part of the SMT franchise as a whole but are Persona characters first, SMT characters second.

I just think it's an important point to consider given that if it is still technically an FE game, then that changes the approach needed if you try to support her given that the competition increases considerably series wise, and it's already a pretty tough competition when it comes to Smash newcomers.

Lastly my apologies if you covered something I brought up and I somehow glazed over it entirely. Either way, thanks for clearing this stuff up, the FE: Heroes bit was pretty interesting to learn about, and aside from the censorship done to it, I hadn't really followed #FE too much, so I'm not too well informed on it.

Tikivoy

Smashing idol~
Switch FC
SW-4447-4606-8984
If you ask me, Sharp FE is a sub series of Fire Emblem & Shin Megami Tensei. So yes, kind of like what Persona is to SMT.

If we're talking Smash-wise, it could be argued that relationship is what the Yoshi series is to the Mario series, since the Yoshi series borrows enemies/characters from Mario, but is counted as its own series (even having its own logo & trophy set).

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
No it's perfectly fine, though I have to say I personally wouldn't count that as a wall of text. Needs several more paragraphs if not pages for that. And I preemptively apologize for my own wall of text if I happen to make one. (I have a bad habit of doing so...)

Back on topic though, despite how different it is, I'd imagine it is still considered a Fire Emblem game. Not a mainline entry, but still a spin-off to the FE series. The #FE attached is still for Fire Emblem isn't it? And again despite how different it plays, Mario spin-offs are all still part of the Mario franchise, so I'm not sure that discounts TMS as an FE game.

While it borrows heavily from SMT/Persona, TMS still explicity uses FE characters and a few elements do carry over from the main games. And now that I've brought up SMT and Persona this is the point I want to get to. Do you think it'd be fair to consider TMS the Persona of FE? It's a self contained game with a majority of it's content being unique and original, but it's still clear that it's utilizing certain elements from the main series.

Perhaps I'm reaching, but I do feel that it fits that bill more than a game like Kingdom Hearts or Project X Zone. And just to clarify, I'm not trying to discount Tsubasa, I'm just not sure about the game's placement in terms of IPs. I get what you mean about them not being considered FE characters, but I think it might a Persona situation where they're technically a part of the SMT franchise as a whole but are Persona characters first, SMT characters second.

I just think it's an important point to consider given that if it is still technically an FE game, then that changes the approach needed if you try to support her given that the competition increases considerably series wise, and it's already a pretty tough competition when it comes to Smash newcomers.

Lastly my apologies if you covered something I brought up and I somehow glazed over it entirely. Either way, thanks for clearing this stuff up, the FE: Heroes bit was pretty interesting to learn about, and aside from the censorship done to it, I hadn't really followed #FE too much, so I'm not too well informed on it.
You bring up some pretty fair points. The Mario spinoffs are definitely still Mario games no matter how you spin it when they are the starts of the game. Tokyo Mirage Sessions still have elements of Fire Emblem in the title (#FE = Fire Emblem) as much as has Shin Megami Tensei (TMS is SMT backwards). Fire Emblem as a franchise barely get its own spinoffs and recent times is where we would get titles that constitute as that. Even with all of Gaiden's differences, it's still a Fire Emblem game and a core entire similarly to Super Mario Bros 2 and The Legend of Zelda 2. Tokyo Mirage Sessions could count as the first real spinoff for the franchise in recent times with Heroes being next like you said.

You may be right that it's too early to call it the Persona of Fire Emblem when the game is likely a one and done deal that won't become its own franchise. The Mirages and their original world (The Fire Emblem world) are without a doubt important plot points to the story despite taking place in modern Tokyo the whole time. One wouldn't need any imagination to see their world since the same lore (the canon lore) is used in the chapter appropriately called Fire Emblem. These characters just happened to have lost their memories and wound up in the Idolasphere for unknown reasons that probably won't be touched upon.

No need to apologize, I can understand. Even if they still weren't considered Fire Emblem characters, they still have a ton of competition and less visibility compared to other characters (even someone like Dillon is more recognizable to the average Nintendo fan. You aren't really detracting, but telling me that TMS still is a Fire Emblem game at heart and spinoff despite the heavy deviations and crossover elements. Even then, hardcore Fire Emblem and SMT fans still turn Tokyo Mirage Sessions away because of the idol theme and not feeling like the crossover they've wanted (But that's mostly Atlus's fault for taking a huge risk like they've did with the project). The censorship thing was pretty huge, but that was mostly angry Fire Emblem fans that already felt cheated from Fates' localization decisions and the removal of face touching. As silly as it sounds, bikinis are serious business in RPG's whether it's Nintendo or not.

And it's cool if you don't know much of it. The game sort off feel off the radar for along time after its original realize. Most celebrating its "failure" and others hoping it meant no more censorship for future Nintendo games (which they better keep dreaming since Nintendo would never stop their same localization ideas). At least The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild is mostly the same (no censorship at all). Wow, this is quite the interesting subject.

Kirbeh

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
Thanks again for clearing that up, you brought up some really good points as well.

I think it's a shame that the FE community treated TMS they way they did though. Different as it is, it still looks like a lot of fun and I still plan on picking it up eventually. Maybe it's because I'm still a relatively new FE fan, but the tonal shift didn't really bother me given that I took it as a loose spin-off once it got a proper reveal. Though do I understand some of the disappointed given the initial teaser that was given.

"Bikini's are serious business in RPGs" does indeed sound silly, but I wholeheartedly agree. If it's already in the game and falls within what's appropriate for the assigned rating, then by all means leave it in.(Even if it raises the rating, I'd prefer they keep things in, though I know how unlikely that is unfortunately.) Translation changes I can understand when it comes to some phrases/jokes/references that no one would get, but otherwise localization should be as faithful as possible.

Enough on that though, I don't want to derail the thread. It's been a fun and interesting discussion though. I'll put in my support for Tsubasa.

DarkAuraful

Torpid Dragon
Tsubasa would be pretty cool for Smash 5. A character both Fire Emblem and Shin Megami Tensei designed? Count me in! I'm hoping that if that were the case, her Wedding and Pop Star (the one in Chapter 2 or the early ones that replaced the swimsuit in the localization; yes I actually prefer that one over the swimsuit) come in.

I think it's a shame that the FE community treated TMS they way they did though. Different as it is, it still looks like a lot of fun and I still plan on picking it up eventually. Maybe it's because I'm still a relatively new FE fan, but the tonal shift didn't really bother me given that I took it as a loose spin-off once it got a proper reveal. Though do I understand some of the disappointed given the initial teaser that was given.
I have it. Currently half-way mid game and it's good. I'd totally recommend it. Though wasn't the way the FE fans treat it was because they didn't like the localization changes to the costumes? Particularly the swimsuits? I thought it was just stupid because I don't even see anything wrong with the substitute costumes they replaced the swimsuits with.

Last edited:

Kirbeh

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
There are a few reasons TMS got a particularly bad rap from what I've seen. Again I didn't follow the game too closely, but I did see the censorship related stuff, and some of the initial backlash prior to the localisation complaints.

If you remember the very first teaser for the project, it was just a bunch of Fire Emblem characters. Not much to go off of, but the general assumption among fans was an Atlus developed Fire Emblem and/or actual FE/SMT crossover utilizing both franchises.

The actual end result was of course TMS, so that turned off a lot of fans who we expecting either a traditional FE setting or the aforementioned literal crossover as opposed to the bubbly modern pop idol setting with a crossover of game mechanics.

The initial backlash that turned most people off was the modern setting and idol theme. After that you were left with a few fans who were fine with it and were still willing to give it a shot. That is until the localisation debacle.

So now the few people interested in the game got even smaller, as many were unhappy that the game was being censored. While I'm still going to pick it up eventually, I'm disappointed with it too if I'm honest. None of the content in the game would upset the rating which was already a T, so there's not really any reason to cut or change things like the swimsuit scene, which from my understanding is perfectly fitting given Tsubasa's desire to be an idol. There's also the issue of inconsistency as with the Aversa boss for example. They cover her chest with smoke in one scene, but leave it as is during battle. (Again I haven't played the game, so I don't know how many instances such as these that are in total, but I've seen a couple comparisons between the Japanese and western versions.)

Then there's also the fact that the places where they did decide to be consistent kept content from western players. Namely, the DLC chapters that remained Japan only. It is optional content apart from the base game, but many players would like the choice to be able to access that content at least. So the second wave of backlash is from many player's distaste for censorship, especially when it was unnecessary.

For many, including myself, it's the desire for as faithful a localisation as possible, as well as the principle of the matter. If the content falls within what's acceptable for the desired rating, (in this case a Teen rating, of which everything removed would still be fine under) then it should be left intact.

TL;DR

The backlash came in two waves. The people that didn't like the game's concept, followed by a break up of the player's still interested following the news that it would be censored. The game was extremely niche, and a few poor localisation choices further drove away many among the few that filled that niche.

Anyway, I think it's best to leave it there. I already said I wouldn't derail the thread, but here I am going off topic again...

Last edited:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
There are a few reasons TMS got a particularly bad rap from what I've seen. Again I didn't follow the game too closely, but I did see the censorship related stuff, and some of the initial backlash prior to the localisation complaints.

If you remember the very first teaser for the project, it was just a bunch of Fire Emblem characters. Not much to go off of, but the general assumption among fans was an Atlus developed Fire Emblem and/or actual FE/SMT crossover utilizing both franchises.

The actual end result was of course TMS, so that turned off a lot of fans who we expecting either a traditional FE setting or the aforementioned literal crossover as opposed to the bubbly modern pop idol setting with a crossover of game mechanics.

The initial backlash that turned most people off was the modern setting and idol theme. After that you were left with a few fans who were fine with it and were still willing to give it a shot. That is until the localisation debacle.

So now the few people interested in the game got even smaller, as many were unhappy that the game was being censored. While I'm still going to pick it up eventually, I'm disappointed with it too if I'm honest. None of the content in the game would upset the rating which was already a T, so there's not really any reason to cut or change things like the swimsuit scene, which from my understanding is perfectly fitting given Tsubasa's desire to be an idol. There's also the issue of inconsistency as with the Aversa boss for example. They cover her chest with smoke in one scene, but leave it as is during battle. (Again I haven't played the game, so I don't know how many instances such as these that are in total, but I've seen a couple comparisons between the Japanese and western versions.)

Then there's also the fact that the places where they did decide to be consistent kept content from western players. Namely, the DLC chapters that remained Japan only. It is optional content apart from the base game, but many players would like the choice to be able to access that content at least. So the second wave of backlash is from many player's distaste for censorship, especially when it was unnecessary.

For many, including myself, it's the desire for as faithful a localisation as possible, as well as the principle of the matter. If the content falls within what's acceptable for the desired rating, (in this case a Teen rating, of which everything removed would still be fine under) then it should be left intact.

TL;DR

The backlash came in two waves. The people that didn't like the game's concept, followed by a break up of the player's still interested following the news that it would be censored. The game was extremely niche, and a few poor localisation choices further drove away many among the few that filled that niche.

Anyway, I think it's best to leave it there. I already said I wouldn't derail the thread, but here I am going off topic again...
No no, it's fine. You are definitely on topic since Tokyo Mirage Sessions is still related. And you're added to the list. :)

Now if it's something about a game like Warriors, then it would be off topic.

Nonetheless, you basically hit the nail head for the backlash. The decision to start a completely different project from the initial concept along with a focus on J-Pop were pretty controversial enough. The censorship was definitely the icing on the cake that happened long after we got Western news.

To be honest, the TMS characters being featured in Fire Emblem Heroes would be their best shot than a sequel despite some hints and rumors (one that is probably old news by now).

Last edited:

Kirbeh

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
No no, it's fine. You are definitely on topic since Tokyo Mirage Sessions is still related.

Now if it's something about a game like Warriors, then it would be off topic.

Nonetheless, you basically hit the nail head for the backlash. The decision to start a completely different project from the initial concept along with a focus on J-Pop were pretty controversial enough. The censorship was definitely the icing on the cake that happened long after we got Western news.

To be honest, the TMS characters being featured in Fire Emblem Heroes would be their best shot than a sequel despite some hints and rumors (one that is probably old news by now).
Well it's certainly news to me! I wasn't aware that a sequel was on the table. I mean technically a potential sequel is always something to keep in mind, but given the backlash, I assumed those hopes had been dashed pretty swiftly. I don't know how well (or poorly) it actually did in terms of sales, but if there's interest in a sequel, then I hope the devs are allowed to go through with it.

As for Heroes, I'm kind of in the middle. On the one hand you already mentioned the issues getting them to fit in. But on the other, so long as they remained in their battle outfits, they'd be able to fit in just fine visually. And given the kind of game Heroes is, I don't see why they can't include them anyway as "heroes summoned from a distant world". We're already pulling from across entire timelines as it is.

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
I support this idea, this could be a different and interesting character and i am curious as to what the reaction to this would be

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
I support this idea, this could be a different and interesting character and i am curious as to what the reaction to this would be
It would either be "More Fire Emblem trash!" or something like "More weaboo characters to annoy us".

Speaking seriously, she would be a mixed bag like Corrin because of her origins. But her being a unique fighter that provides good content (Like a Shibuya stage) matters more IMO.

Adding you in a minute mate.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
So Toto released this well done sprite of Maiko recently.

How much you bet he will make sprites of the other characters soon? A Tsubasa sprite would look good for your OP.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
So Toto released this well done sprite of Maiko recently.

How much you bet he will make sprites of the other characters soon? A Tsubasa sprite would look good for your OP.
I like it alot, looks just like her.

Now to have my fingers crossed that he makes one for Tsuabasa. I love his Nintendo sprite work alot.

Not sure if there's any other subject to bring. But how would you all feel if there was a "Golden" version of the game like Persona 4 for Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE on the Switch?

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
I support Tsubasa! A little surprised I didn't find this sooner...
Added glad to have you aboard.

There's nothing to really talk about except Reggie "confirming" there there are more Wii U ports coming along the way.

I would imagine that would make a TMS port likely, but it's at the bottom of the pecking order compared to Xenoblade X and Super Mario 3D World.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Because this is too funny to not share after witnessing it on Discord, let's take a look at this.

Yes, what you see before you a Grand Theft Auto mod with a gun totting Tsubasa. She's ready to pop a Kowa****ai in someone's ***.

Imagine her with a Smash Ray Gun and you get the deal.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Sooooooo, new Smash means TMS content. I am not expecting Tsubasi to be chosen, but I would be satisfied if we get a stage and some of the game's best songs in the end.

Also.

THIS is why DJJames is the best Fire Emblem fan of all time, other than being one of the loudest TMS supporters out there.

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Guess what I found, more people supporting her.

And this is ironic coming from someone that owns the Itsuki topic, nobody wants him at all (rightfully so since he's so bland).

There was a problem fetching the tweet

For some reason I saw Nantendo retweet that post. I wonder why. :lol:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
I guess Nantendo is a closet TMS fan.

But I have something to say. Isn't it odd that more and more people are playing Tokyo Mirage Sessions or wanting a TMS port on the Switch? Don't get me wrong, I am no means a hipster. But where were those people when the game came out on the Wii U's last summer?

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Still supporting Tsubasa!
Glad you do.

I'm honestly expecting stage with some TMS tracks at best.

She's got competition with other Atlus characters after all.

MrRoidley

Smash Ace
I support her! Tokyo Mirage Sessions is too underrated, and I'd love to see the reaction of the people that based it just because it's an idol game.

I'm only expecting some music and trophies from it, though :/

Last edited:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
I support her! Tokyo Mirage Sessions is too underrated, and I'd love to see the reaction of the people that based it just because it's an idol game.

I'm only expecting some music and trophies from it, though :/
Added.

I won't lie, the reaction would be pretty good since the game was controversial for its idol theme since forever. lol

Like you, I can take any TMS content I could get in Smash at this point.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Found some cute fanart that you may like.

There was a problem fetching the tweet

I like how DJames is the only person to keep the Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE fandom alive.

In fact, the strange thing is that more people realize the game exists. Must be that every underlooked Wii U game is getting more attention since the console died.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
That's cute, looking at the fanart.

Although, now is the time for me to start taking this topic serious and make a moveset for her. It's the only thing I am lacking. It's been a while since I last played Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE, though I have an idea of how she would work. Other than being a lance unit and a healer, she would also have a sort of "stand-like" moveset with her Mirage Partner Caeda. That would be a very unique style that can make her stand out.

Also, I'll just say this is the BEST Inkling edit ever.

Imagine if the Inkling Girl had accidentally walked into Shibuya Tokyo and got caught up in the Mirage Business.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
That's cute, looking at the fanart.

Although, now is the time for me to start taking this topic serious and make a moveset for her. It's the only thing I am lacking. It's been a while since I last played Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE, though I have an idea of how she would work. Other than being a lance unit and a healer, she would also have a sort of "stand-like" moveset with her Mirage Partner Caeda. That would be a very unique style that can make her stand out.

Also, I'll just say this is the BEST Inkling edit ever.

Imagine if the Inkling Girl had accidentally walked into Shibuya Tokyo and got caught up in the Mirage Business.
Agreed, that meme would have to be the funniest for me. Inkling for TMS. :troll:

And good luck on making her full moveset. Kowa****ai!

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
And now the moveset is finally done after watching countless gameplay videos and listening to TMS music.

I really hope I did her some justice with this moveset. I wanted to reflect on all of Tsubasa's best traits as a healer and a defensive character. All constructive criticism is welcome.

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
And now the moveset is finally done after watching countless gameplay videos and listening to TMS music.

I really hope I did her some justice with this moveset. I wanted to reflect on all of Tsubasa's best traits as a healer and a defensive character. All constructive criticism is welcome.
Looks like and excellent moveset. I can't fault you for her having the same gimmick as Itsuki since all Mirage Masters would have that same affinity thing going on. But she's unique enough thanks to her spear and wind abilities. Lol at the Sexy Dance special, that sounds like would be an annoying move in a Smash match.

But one question, why the hell is Eleonora cameo character in her victory animation? Wouldn't it make much more sense for her to be partnered with Kiria since she is the idol that she looks up to the most of the entire Fortuna Company?

kool2419

Smash Apprentice
Tsubasa absolutely has my support!! She is such a cute character and one of My Top 10 characters i want to see in Smash Switch. Here`s hoping that she does.:)

Top Bottom