• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dear Swordfighter Mains,

anaglyphix

Smash Cadet
NNID
Glyph
3DS FC
3669-0309-2018
It seems like after the EVO experiment, customs might be on the way to being banned. While I personally think it's a smart move, this also means that most TOs are going to either Ban Mii fighters, or limit them to a 1111, or 1111/2222/3333 moveset(s). I hate that. The mii fighters were not created with a specific moveset in mind, and if that moveset did exist, it would DEFINITELY not correspond with the numbers above.

My Question is simple: If you could only have one moveset for Mii Swordfighter, what would it be?
(assuming we use the standard swordfighter mii)

By making a Standard moveset for each Mii Fighter, TOs can have just one mii fighter of each type on on all consoles, that was determined to be best suited for that character, that can act as a standard character without variation in moveset, size, etc.

Well? What do you say?

murdokdracul

"What do you mean you support Yoshimitsu?!"
NNID
murdokdracul
3DS FC
2836-0188-2561
Switch FC
SW-5151-9208-7814

Back in the Stone for fun but difficult ledge-meteor smashes.
Flippy-spinny-self-destructy Side B because even though it's risky, it's rewarding when it lands and decent for recovery.
Whirlwind Neutral B. Gives him/her a ranged attack and...I guess I just prefer it to the shuriken for some reason.
Rainbow flip thing. Too many characters have counters already, the Falcon Kick-like move doesn't seem very useful to me, and it's so much fun gimping people's recoveries with the rainbow, just like Mario.

So very nearly a straight 1111. I just don't like counter that much. :/

Last edited:

Unknownkid

Smash Lord
I don't believe we have a best set for swordfighter. Everyone has different preference. The best swordfighter, Trela, use Default 1111 set but recommended 2132. I use 123X or 113X, San. uses 1233, Anthonykun uses 213X, Zarro like Blurring Blade for some reason (tho I think it got buff), Muro just mention 1112, Nyani uses X23X and I forgot what GS3K, AEM, QBH, Smash Capp and Burgundy Blade use. Anyways the point is there is no best single set like Brawler. With Chakram getting buff and patches being a thing... a lot of things can change.

Burgundy

kick kick
NNID
SuperSableye24
3DS FC
5456-0591-6968
I haven't really decided on my Swordfighter set but @ Unknownkid Unknownkid is right, making a default set is very restrictive and limits the potential of these characters. They weren't designed to have a default set.

GS3K

Smash Ace
NNID
Gamestar3000
I usually go 1133 or 1232, with a hint of straight washingtons (ones).

Dooms

KY/KP Joey
NNID
Doomsyplusle
3DS FC
2921-9568-4629
2331 personally. I really like Chakram. Also a Lucina player so having a counter is highly preferred to the other down-b options.

Last edited:

Caterpillor

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
5455-9928-7747
3331 personally, chakram is too good right now. Hero's sin has good recovery and can kill.
Same, I really like chakrams and even more since the buff. I'm quite versatile with down-B. I used down-B 3 for an extra bit of recovery but I guess Reflector and Counterare more useful.

NNID
UncleCubone
3DS FC
3539-9630-7110
Don't know the exact numbers offhand, since I only pocket Swordy, but I really like...

Shuriken of Light
Airborne Assault
Stone Scabbard
Falcon Sword

The only reason I almost never bring out Swordy in tournament is because 1111 is the only moveset allowed and I absolutely DESPISE Counter moves.

GeneralLedge

Smash Journeyman

I'm gonna stop you right there though, and point out that in a perfect world there'd be no "best set" among any of the Miis. The fact that Brawler has a distinctly 'best set' really comes down to a design flaw more than anything.

Mii Sword does not have a singular 'best set'. At all. You will only make a small fraction happy.

Last edited:

DigitalAtom6

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DigitalAtom6
3DS FC
1864-9481-4247
You probably already know this since I updated the guide, but I really like 1331. Tornado Strike has so many uses, but I like SoL now too. Chakram is really useful, especially when you get creative with it. Hero's Spin because it has great recovery and can kill. Counter is mostly there because of my personal preference and playstyle, but I can see Reflect Spin work too.
Thus, I use an alternate set of 2332 every now and then, depending on the MU.

Lastly, I wanted to add that I think there isn't one best set, but I think we can narrow it down to 8-10 best ones.

GeneralLedge

Smash Journeyman
That way he isn't OP
We're talking about Swordfighter, remember? Worst character in the game? ;)

That aside, Stone Scabbard isn't that bad. Good mix-up OoS and off of jab. Invulnerable frames let you bypass certain traps, too.

Not to mention to Trela spike.

Last edited:

Pegasus Knight

Smash Ace
As Ledge has said, you won't please everyone... possibly even most, with a '1 true moveset'.

If I nonetheless have to offer some data for it, I prefer:

Shuriken of Light
Slash Launcher
Hero's Spin
Counter (Sometimes swap this out with Rainbow Slash)

Couldn't tell you the numbers off hand. Suffice to say, you will notice it has little in common with what most others here like. I would probably be very unhappy with whatever majority-voted 'one true moveset' we wound up at for this reason.

GeneralLedge

Smash Journeyman
I opt for Reversal Slash over Counter for the gunner MU (and any projectile user in general). That move is a godsend once you tackle the active time.

GS3K

Smash Ace
NNID
Gamestar3000
I wish they didn't patch out swordgliding with reversal slash. I know it was useless but it was funny to pull off.

Anyways, reversal slash is probably my most used down b out of the three options in general since I rarely use counters and I can't use power thrust without killing myself.

Iko-Seiko

Smash Apprentice
I'm still in search of the one true Swordie set, and to be honest I don't feel like one exists.

Right now i play 1332. In the past ive played 3333, 2232, and 2222.

Chakram was the first special of Swordie's i loved, back at the launch of Wii U. Ultimately i ditched it for Slash Launcher when i realized that slow chakram had very little payoff. Now with it being buffed, i'm happy to play it again, and I feel like it's probably one of her more useful tools.

However, i see why some will still opt for Slash Launcher - offstage life is like brawl link without it. These are the sacrifices i make to have an "infinite" i guess.

The only special i wont touch with a ten foot pole is side b 1. It's basically a move that either kills you, gets you hard punished on block, or gives you a mildly strong ko move if you happen to catch a roll. Not worth imo when slash launcher offers the same-ish recovery option.

All 3 neutral b's have a purpose - currently experimenting on gale strike to improve my falcon and sonic matchup possibly.

Aaaaaannndddd Hero Spin. Spin is easily my favorite up b. I feel like all 3 are valid but spin makes the most sense in my head, like it feels the most natural. It has some pretty cool reverse hitboxes in the air that i sometimes scoop up kills with while recovering, and the initial grounded hit is quick and powerful out of shield.

Also jab->spin MIGHT be a thing. Doesnt register as a true combo like jab->dtilt, but ive never had anypne shield between the hits in tourney sooooo... Maybe?

I guess my point is, there's no one true set, and i don't think trying to confine Swordie to one set is the way to go.

Top Bottom