• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dear Mew2King

Derkis

Smash Cadet
I'm doing computer sci cuz I don't know what else I would do. I'll probably do that for that reason alone. No, I don't enjoy programming, but I really don't think I'd see myself doing anything else
If you allow yourself to focus on the amazing things you can create with programming or even the satisfaction of solving individual bugs/problems, you might come to find that you actually like to program.

It's a lot of work, so finding a mindset that enables you to enjoy doing it is going to make your life a lot easier, and it will make you a better programmer too (which will put you that much closer to being a game designer).

Cobalt

Smash Journeyman
I'm doing computer sci cuz I don't know what else I would do. I'll probably do that for that reason alone. No, I don't enjoy programming, but I really don't think I'd see myself doing anything else
Don't worry too much about this, the actual programming part of CS is smaller than most people think. The theory behind CS is much more important and much more of your course load.

One of the biggest theoretical parts of CS is determining how quickly a given problem can be solved, and even if it can be solved at all. There's one problem in CS, called the halting problem, that is provably impossible to solve. One of the coolest things about CS is taking a given problem and showing that a solution to that problem, seemingly completely-unrelated, will also solve the halting problem. And since the halting problem cannot be solved, the original problem also cannot be solved. It's theory like this that's the more interesting part of CS, so if you enjoy thinking logically and mathematically like that, you should have fun.

Zankoku

Never Knows Best
Administrator
BRoomer
NNID
SSBM_PLAYER
I actually liked the programming part of CS. :(

Theory's dumb, I like to see my work produce results. Probably one of the reasons I hated classes that involved zero programming the most.

Fletch

Smash Master
Sidenote, but anyone that has taken a lot of programming classes, any recommendations to me? I have a finance background, but in my world of derivatives trading, everything is becoming more and more automated, and I'd really like to learn.

To M2K: Just be prepared to maybe not totally enjoy your job when you graduate. Most people I know didn't exactly start in what they want to do, but the experience you gain is way more important and the money you make will continue to grant you freedom. I started with a boss and was basically forced to listen to everything I was told, but after all that I learned enough to go out on my own. You should be open to a few years of that as well, and maybe you'll be designing your own games that we will all be playing in the future.

Myztek

Smash Ace
Mew2King, I'll throw some advice out there for you:

As long as you take residence in a state for a year, you will get in-state tuition. You can also get around this if you sweet talk the right people. But never pay out-of-state tuition if you can help it. It's way overpriced as you know.

1. You NEED to file FAFSA! I read that you did file for NJ, but where ever you intend to go - make sure you have your FAFSA information sent to the school. It's as easy as adding to the list of schools when filing. You can go back and edit your FAFSA at any time. Overall, FAFSA is very beneficial, and there is no excuse for not taking advantage of it.

2. Scholarships. Most scholarships are for incoming Freshman. So you've already passed that point. Don't get me wrong, there are more scholarships available, but they're not as easily attainable. So get to work on it, if you want them.

3. Game design. Who hasn't wanted to do this? Well, if you wanna work on your own projects, you had better love to program; or learn to love it. If you're a newbie to game design, Flash/Actionscript is a fantastic starting point. Simple because Flash is kinda an all-in-one package. You can code, draw your characters/levels/whatever, all within the same program. I recommend http://www.amazon.com/Foundation-Ga...15/ref=sr_1_22?ie=UTF8&qid=1301513455&sr=8-22 as a book to begin for those interested. If you want to get in on a team of developers - that's another story. Network with people and get to know people that can get you into the field you desire. That's the biggest factor of all.

4. Relationships - Your girlfriend is not the most important thing in your life. YOU are. Take care of yourself first, and the rest will follow. Yeah, relationships are all fun and dandy, but unless you're in a position where you're happy with your own life, it's really just going to be another obstacle in your way.

5. Exercise. It's not for everyone, I know, but it would do wonders for you. Especially if you're feeling depressed. If you're feeling down about yourself, work on yourself financially, physically, and emotionally.

6. Smash. If you're not enjoying it, ask yourself why. As many have said, it's probably because you're mostly doing it for the money now. It's turned into a job for you. Just have fun with it. I know you've heard this one enough, though.

Anyway, I can't think of anything else at the moment. Sounds like you have a lot of self-discovering to do. I wish you best of luck.

Derkis

Smash Cadet
Sidenote, but anyone that has taken a lot of programming classes, any recommendations to me? I have a finance background, but in my world of derivatives trading, everything is becoming more and more automated, and I'd really like to learn.

To M2K: Just be prepared to maybe not totally enjoy your job when you graduate. Most people I know didn't exactly start in what they want to do, but the experience you gain is way more important and the money you make will continue to grant you freedom. I started with a boss and was basically forced to listen to everything I was told, but after all that I learned enough to go out on my own. You should be open to a few years of that as well, and maybe you'll be designing your own games that we will all be playing in the future.
Recommendations in what way? If you're just looking for a good way to start learning programming, I'd recommend this free Harvard course that you can take online at your leisure:

http://cs50.tv/2010/fall/

Life

Smash Hero
Wish I knew what to say to that.... I was kinda the same way for a while, then I somehow became a decently skilled musician and, well... something you gotta find on your own I guess.

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
If you think you want to do something programming related Jason, I'd recommed just going into CS and asking your professors about potential majors/tracks/concentrations whatever. Speaking about your interests and your career goals.

You'd actually be surprised at what you may find to enjoy. 3 years ago I would never even begin to dream that I like what I'm currently major in. Hell, 5 years ago I told myself I'm just doing college to just nab that job and do whatever for the rest of my life. I was as lost as you, came in with a very vague idea with what I wanted to do and found myself enjoying my field a lot. I even plan to do my Masters in it something I didn't even imagine was a possibility for me until like last year.

The point is, right now you have a very vague idea what you'd like to do which is fine. You're just starting your studies, just study programming in general and ask around and find what you'd want to do in the future.

Dart!

Smash Master
Hey haley, i've seen other threads aimed at one player that were instantly closed by you or other mods. what's your justification?

Ballin

Smash Apprentice
Hey haley, i've seen other threads aimed at one player that were instantly closed by you or other mods. what's your justification?
Justification: Best Marth in the world.
Where are you at Dart? <3

yo

Jason would be the best school teacher ever
then in about 6 years, we'll have a new generation of young, M2k-taught players coming into the community. That day would be scary.

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
The main difference is that as a community we can benefit from it. Mainly the part about how education is critical and FAFSA info. If you recall we also allowed a thread on Armada's donation to both pre and post pound as well.

The ones we insta close are mostly shoutout threads, flaming threads, or pointless ones.

Velox

Smash Ace
The main difference is that as a community we can benefit from it. Mainly the part about how education is critical and FAFSA info. If you recall we also allowed a thread on Armada's donation to both pre and post pound as well.

The ones we insta close are mostly shoutout threads, flaming threads, or pointless ones.
brawl sucks, melee is (much) better

soap

Smash Hero
Biology/natural sciences 154.8 (I thought this was funny)
why is this funny? Biology majors have a year of physics, chemistry, o-chem, and calc as prerequisites. Hard sciences are good for critical thinking.

I heard the LSAT was easy anyway

Mew2King

King of the Mews
Cinnaminson (southwest NJ 5 min drive from Philly)
Damn I shoulda taken the scholarships before.... what can I do about it now? I've decided to finish associates. I'll probably be done by the very end of this year (at VERY VERY VERY latest by around May of next year or so) so I'll have to decide where to go after that for bachelors. I only really like video game stuff.

Anth0ny

Smash Master
Can't decide on a job? Just be a teacher. It's easy as **** (especially something like Math or Science if you're good at it), and you get summers off, so you can still attend nationals.

JesiahTEG

Smash Master
Max, can you send me my DS dude...I'm dying to play some soulsilver/chrono trigger when im on break at work haha

Dart!

Smash Master

i didn't want to come off as a dbag for asking, i just wanted to hear a mods reasoning. thanks!

Vigilante

Smash Lord
Here the thing, tourney money is not something one should rely on. This isn't a stable income. What the man might need is to smash less, and get a part-time job. Also, apply for some financial aid, although I know how bad financial aid is in the US.

I think M2K is a fine player, but when you start doing something out of obligation, you lose all intrinsic motivation to continue. It became an extrinsic motivator for him, and extrinsic motivators lose their effect when the reward is removed.

What I mean is, as much as it sucks, he might have to cut on some things that qualify as hobby, including gaming. I'm not saying he should completely quit, but there are priorities and his life is more important than being good at smash.

Being blunt is my way of being supportive.

Wimp Lo

Smash Rookie
Wow, what happened to my old account? Anyway...

If you don't mind me asking, are you @ Rowan University right now? That's where I'm doing my undergrad. My GF said in one of her classes there was a kid with blond hair and glasses who, when everyone had to say something interesting about him or her self, said he won melee tournaments to make money. Just thought it was a funny coincidence.

If that wasn't you, you definitely should look into Rowan. It's close to Cinnaminson (I'm from Cherry Hill), VERY CHEAP in-state tuition, in top 25 Northeast colleges as ranked by U.S. News and World Report, and a really good Comp. Sci program that offers a special degree where you can earn your Master's with just one extra year after undergrad study.

Best of luck and let me know if you'd like more info.

Zodiac

Smash Master
Damn I shoulda taken the scholarships before.... what can I do about it now? I've decided to finish associates. I'll probably be done by the very end of this year (at VERY VERY VERY latest by around May of next year or so) so I'll have to decide where to go after that for bachelors. I only really like video game stuff.
I hear the art institute has some good gaming courses and what not, there are tons of those.

Pogogo

Smash Journeyman
I also don't get how a bunch of random peeps on the internet could help or how the discussion is centered around a player just cause he's good.

Divinokage

Smash Legend
Except I did want to post, which is why I did.
Ya but if you don't have anything insightful to post then it's not really your concern.

Pogogo, pretty sure WE are not random people.. we help each other and some people might know things depending on what they did in life.

Pogogo

Smash Journeyman
Well I understand that umbreon is not a random person and could help but why not just pm.

My only advice is don't get student loans ever but sometimes its the only way people can go to school.

Ill probably play you, kage, in Ottawa and lose very badly

HoChiMinhTrail

Smash Master
Honestly, you should just trasnfer what credits you have and get a start on your bachelors now. Assosiate degrees are pretty damn useless these days to be honest. I understand you only really like video game stuff, but sometimes the world isn't all candy and roses. You need to get into a field that is going to get you a good paying job upon graduation. IT/CS appears to be what you should go into, at least you will have related work experience and perhaps later down the line you could find your dream video game design job. However, upon graduation you need to take w/e decent job you find an opening in because this economy sucks huge **** right now.

Forget your associates, transfer what credits you can now to an accredited university. Associate degrees from community colleges tend to waste more of your money seeing as universities want you to take their classes most of the time.

Fletch

Smash Master
Didn't notice he was only going for his Associates, and ditto what Trail said. Most of the people I know have Bachelors from top universities in accounting, finance, CS, etc., and most of them have found they have already had to go back to school or start applying within 2 years of completing undergrad. Unfortunately, Bachelors degree seems to be becoming the norm and if you don't have at least that you might be in trouble.

Smash Master
Tell you true, after having been in school for 4 years I wish I had just gotten a crappy job at a gas station, found a studio apartment, cracked open a book and started studying Javascript on my own.

Brookman

Smash Hero
If I recall correctly, you were not naturally good at SSBM and had to practice very hard to get so good. You have to remember that life is hard and you don't want to waste time looking for an easy way out when the. Trail has been offering extremely solid advice over the coarse of this thread and I think you would be wise to follow his words.

Should go into mathematics.

"Tell you true, after having been in school for 4 years I wish I had just gotten a crappy job at a gas station, found a studio apartment, cracked open a book and started studying Javascript on my own. " (Y)

the problem is, even if you have the "skills" its more about having the paper that proves you have the "skills" and even then, you often need to know somebody to get anywhere.

john!

Smash Hero
i hate programming a lot

i can't get motivated to do it, at all, and i am not naturally good at it either. idk wtf to do
i failed my first computer science class. now i'm a cs major in a top 10 ranked department. programming skill comes with time and recreational programming can be really fun if you give it a chance.

Top Bottom