• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dear Mew2King

GHNeko

Sega Stockholm Syndrome.
NNID
GHNeko
It's like in one of those hentai manga where the victim (us) falls for the rapist (M2K) and helps him into the straight and narrow!

D

Deleted member

With that said, I think I missed the deadline for scholarships because on the Camdencc.edu website it said it was late February. I'm in Georgia right now, I could go home for about 200 round trip ticket but should I really do it?
Knowing Mew2Mom, she'd be smug but all about helping you decide what's best for yourself. However, if you're seriously looking at a specific school, I think you should investigate it in person before you go home.

But I think it would be best if you went home after that probably. You need some base of operations for filling out a lot of paperwork, where a legal address would come in handy. Besides, worst case scenario, I can still drive to your house for a weekend to help you with **** in person. I can't really drive to Georgia for a weekend.

stelzig

Smash Lord
Maybe it's different in Denmark, but basically, ull have to pay back a certain amount of ur loan after finishing studies.

After every exam u pass, some of the loan will be made scholarship.
You can take extra loans that you'll have to pay back with rates on even, but otherwise you don't.

King Funk

Int. Croc. Alligator
I m currently studying in Denmark (exchange year), and ofc u have to pay a certain amount of it back. But that is after u've graduated.

Feels great to have that money support all the way through studies tho :p
You're currently in Denmark? o_o

Why don't you contact us if you are?

stelzig

Smash Lord
Zephy doesn't play smash anymore :(
Like half the danish smashers are studying in Copenhagen currently though so you should maybe consider it zephy :p

Abild

Smash Rookie
You can take extra loans that you'll have to pay back with rates on even, but otherwise you don't.
Many people choose that option it seems. I haven't got one, though, and even if I am in no way rich it is easily affordable to live and study in Copenhagen off of the SU (the free money form the state). If you want some extra cash then a job might be better too depending on the subject you're studying.

HoChiMinhTrail

Smash Master
Okay so here's what I know

I really like video games. I'm naturally good at smash now and I can probably continue this forever(IF smash games came out forever, but I realize the odds are clearly against this... maybe). Smash is very big in Cali and some other places. I might move there eventually because of both jobs, smash being big (not main reason at all), and one of my best friends might move there. That is one potential consideration for me.

I've been to Lorain County College and Camden County College. These are located in Ohio and New Jersey.

I am also considering Atlanta Georgia (or around lawrenceville, where Tim lives, which is where I am at right now, living for free with him). But... college is like twice as expensive there for out-of-state residents which sucks :/

I am mostly done my Associates I think I need like 6 or 7 more classes to finish it. Yes, I haven't gotten done much, cuz smash distracted me so much and I missed important deadlines before and then took off for smash again.

I paid over a year of college out of my pocket from my smash winnings, no scholarships and no fafsa. It sucked. Can I make up for this? If so, how. What's the smartest money-strategy for me to be doing?

I am pretty sure I want to make video games some day. I like level design it's interesting to me, maybe designing levels or boss battles or something would be cool too. Pretty much Mega Man type of stuff is the most interesting to me. I mainly only am interested in 2D though. Of course, I don't know how much I will end up liking something like that or not yet. This is just what I know right now. All I know most of my life is video games, ever since age 4 it's what I did my entire life for fun. I don't know what else I could see myself doing, so I guess I'll just do that (or some other game related thing I suppose, maybe helping to run tournaments or game testing or... I dunno something, this is just what I know right now and what I have been planning. If it's not related to games it's not interesting to me at all and I can't truely care about it).

With that said, I think I missed the deadline for scholarships because on the Camdencc.edu website it said it was late February. I'm in Georgia right now, I could go home for about 200 round trip ticket but should I really do it?

I was planning on maybe taking a few online classes, if possible, for during the summer, so that I could finish up full-time in school and get my associates between August-December all in new jersey. I dunno where I will go after that for my bachelors.

I suck at this stuff but I basically need to get my transcripts and see if the credits are transferable (if I decide to stay in NJ between August-Dec, which I am not 100% sure on but I am leaning towards) and then pick out classes.

Also, scholarships would be nice, as I've never had them before even though my average grades are like probably around A-/b+. Fafsa should give me a lot too. I already have Fafsa applied for me for NJ college for the 2011-2012 semesters which start at about August.

I'm not really in a rush to do this, but I am trying to be as fiancially-smart with this as possible, but I still don't know what I should be doing atm, except calling both the ohio and NJ college and getting my transcripts so I can at least get my associates (even though I think it is so redundant that I have to take things like Illustrator which I'll never use again in my life.... if only I could avoid that because I am sure I will never ever use this ever)

edit - if I could even get a job doing like, game testing, for a GOOD price instead of like 10 hour but instead getting like 20+ an hour, I'd be happy to do that the rest of my life, as I don't really find that too boring. If I don't get a lot like that though, idk if it's worth it. I just know playing games, level design, and then making ideas for things (like the mega man example I had stated above), in that order, is the most enjoyable things to me, I am pretty sure at least. Game testing seems fun to me but I won't want to do it if the pay is ****ty, obviously (and that would be my only reason).
Please re-read my post

1.) Go to school in your home state, you don't have to live at home but u will save a **** load of money.

2.) I'm not trying to tell you not to follow your dreams, but right now this economy is tough as ****, you need to pick a good major that will get you a job after school. Get into a field like nursing, accounting, IT which are growing fast as **** and pursue ur game design/testing dream on the side by applying and taking more classes while u work full-time. Being able to support yourself is the number one objective.

3.) Don't let girl **** get in the way of anything you do, you are young and there WILL be other girls in your life (i hate to sound harsh, but anyone who gets their first gf needs to hear this.) Always choose YOU first.

Zephynazo

Zobaia -Deus- Ariana
Ah, so that's how it works here, okay. Thanks for clearifying ^-^
You're currently in Denmark? o_o

Why don't you contact us if you are?
I have been here since 1st of August. Im not in Copenhagen tho, Im currently in Aarhus and studying at Aarhus University :)
Zephy doesn't play smash anymore :(
Like half the danish smashers are studying in Copenhagen currently though so you should maybe consider it zephy :p
How did u know? :p But yeah, Stelzig is right, i quit smash a long time ago, but i check the forums from time to time to keep myself updated at whats going on.

Would have been nice to meet you guys sometime tho :) I'll consider going to Copenhagen if theres any tourny going on there while im still here.

Nintendude

Smash Hero
m2k, I'm not sure how much thought you've put into your particular major (all I've read is you almost have an associates in something) , but if you want a career in game design you should consider a degree in computer science or information science. Cornell offers a minor in game design and it's shared by those two departments. I'm sure there are other institutions that offer something similar. In the event that the whole game design thing doesn't work out, or you change your mind about it, either of those degrees are really competitive in the workforce and there will always be great jobs out there for you.

Fletch

Smash Master
Please re-read my post

1.) Go to school in your home state, you don't have to live at home but u will save a **** load of money.

2.) I'm not trying to tell you not to follow your dreams, but right now this economy is tough as ****, you need to pick a good major that will get you a job after school. Get into a field like nursing, accounting, IT which are growing fast as **** and pursue ur game design/testing dream on the side by applying and taking more classes while u work full-time. Being able to support yourself is the number one objective.

3.) Don't let girl **** get in the way of anything you do, you are young and there WILL be other girls in your life (i hate to sound harsh, but anyone who gets their first gf needs to hear this.) Always choose YOU first.
I agree with all of this. I graduated from a top tier school in 2009 and most of my friends have had a very difficult job finding a solid job. I would advise getting into something safe, maybe start your own business on the side to pursue your own passions. Finance, Accounting, or something in Computer Science would probably be your best bet, and I would advise going with the latter as it sounds like it would be closest to your interests.

I know it's tough, but you should really consider putting the girl **** on the side for now until you get yourself established on a career path. I let a girl get in the way when I started my job, and I really regret it. They also spend all your money lol, so if that is something you're worrying about, you really should consider waiting that out.

Man am I old...

Xianglian

Smash Journeyman
I know it's tough, but you should really consider putting the girl **** on the side for now until you get yourself established on a career path. I let a girl get in the way when I started my job, and I really regret it. They also spend all your money lol, so if that is something you're worrying about, you really should consider waiting that out.
This kind of talk is what keeps me away from tournaments.

Mizar

Smash Ace
Just because those guys hook up with the wrong girls doesn't mean they are right.
If you don't give it all in a relationship it will never work out anyway. Maybe that's their problem to begin with. For me a career is overrated. Ofc you need skills to pay the bills but its certainly not as valuable as most people think.

M2K, this stuff must be really hard for you. I hope you find the kind of advice that makes you happy. Because in the end, happiness is all that matters really.

D

Deleted member

but no seriously lets do this. jason, when can you hit up that school?

Fletch

Smash Master
Just because those guys hook up with the wrong girls doesn't mean they are right.
If you don't give it all in a relationship it will never work out anyway. Maybe that's their problem to begin with. For me a career is overrated. Ofc you need skills to pay the bills but its certainly not as valuable as most people think.

M2K, this stuff must be really hard for you. I hope you find the kind of advice that makes you happy. Because in the end, happiness is all that matters really.
I didn't even touch Melee before I had a girlfriend that gave me all sorts of problems. I was also never a big tournament player either, I just really like the game.

All I'm saying is my grades/social life in general suffered a LOT freshman year when I tried to maintain a girl on the side. If you aren't fully stable in what you're doing, and it sounds like M2K is not, the last thing he needs is more complications clouding his judgment, especially if this is his first real girlfriend. Either way, I was told the same thing, and still made the same mistake anyways, so I'm sure this advice will fall on deaf ears. We all need to make our own mistakes to learn from them anyways.

**** yea you are
**** you Roy, I'm forever young.

HoChiMinhTrail

Smash Master
Why does talk of real life keep you away from tournaments ? LOL

Nah, my last girlfriend was pretty damn cool. However, I find that my time can be better utilized improving myself and my future, girls are just kinda a nicel ittle thing on the side. They really aren't that important (to someone who just got their first gf, they are tho.)

There is no problem with having a girl/girls and being serious in life, **** ..... any straight man needs girls all through his life lol.
What i was referring to was for M2K not to let a girl keep him from headin back to his home state and saving a **** load of money on in state tuition. If you truely are meant to be, you will be able to weather a long distance relationship. If she really loves you, then she will understand that this is your best option for improving your position (because it straight up is.) No point putting yourself in to twice/three time as much debt by paying out of state tuition... just makes no damn sense. Go back take a lot of credits each semester and finish early. Then you can john aroudn and do w/e u want once u get urself a nice career.

Mew2King

King of the Mews
Cinnaminson (southwest NJ 5 min drive from Philly)
@ trail my gf lives 2-3 hours from my home state. She's NY I'm NJ. So... yeah LOL that wasn't even the main thing I was factoring in it's mostly effectiveness financially/smartest thing to be doing.

As far as Comp Sci, I really love mega man series. Eventually wanna make something like that probably. What other comp sci stuff could I do? I already do tourneys on the side, tho I don't care as much as b4 (I only play on weekends)

HoChiMinhTrail

Smash Master
@ trail my gf lives 2-3 hours from my home state. She's NY I'm NJ. So... yeah LOL that wasn't even the main thing I was factoring in it's mostly effectiveness financially/smartest thing to be doing.

As far as Comp Sci, I really love mega man series. Eventually wanna make something like that probably. What other comp sci stuff could I do? I already do tourneys on the side, tho I don't care as much as b4 (I only play on weekends)
Go to the website of a university of your choosing and look at their Computer Science department. You will find out all you need to know about their program and what classes they have to offer.

"As far as Comp Sci, I really love mega man series. Eventually wanna make something like that probably. What other comp sci stuff could I do? I already do tourneys on the side, tho I don't care as much as b4"

..... wtf are you even talking about in this sentence ?

Teczer0

Research Assistant
Premium
BRoomer
Not 100% sure on this but if your goal is to eventually become a videogame designer I think you might wanna consider looking at the IT field as well.

Not sure how it is in other schools though I'd assume there is similarity, but my school's CS department doesn't offer game design. Our IT department does.

I think CS is more general coding and IT is more specific.

But I'm not totally sure, just a suggestion.

Nintendude

Smash Hero
Not 100% sure on this but if your goal is to eventually become a videogame designer I think you might wanna consider looking at the IT field as well.

Not sure how it is in other schools though I'd assume there is similarity, but my school's CS department doesn't offer game design. Our IT department does.

I think CS is more general coding and IT is more specific.

But I'm not totally sure, just a suggestion.
CS is a lot more theoretical and mathematical than IT (or Information Science). Yes, you learn how to program in a bunch of different languages, but the focus is on stuff like data structures, algorithms, functions, computer organization / architecture, databases, etc. Once you get really advanced you get to learn stuff like computer graphics, AI, etc.

Info Sci has some of that too, but it is more focused on applications in web design (and you learn PHP, SQL and stuff like that), information retrieval, human-computer interaction, etc.

Both are great fields to study, but I think if m2k is really serious about the game design thing then CS is the way to go. You really can't go wrong with a CS degree. Many of my friends who are CS majors have ended up working for Google, Microsoft, security companies, etc. and are doing much better than the average college graduate.

rathy Aro

Smash Lord

I promised you that i would teach you how to "game program", but that is incredibly vague and I can't think of where to start for something like that.

What about I start teaching you C/C++ instead. Its a good starting point even if you don't end up doing anything related to games.

....and lastly... how have you been in school for 4 years and not know what your interests are?.... >.>

Divinokage

Smash Legend
I promised you that i would teach you how to "game program", but that is incredibly vague and I can't think of where to start for something like that.

What about I start teaching you C/C++ instead. Its a good starting point even if you don't end up doing anything related to games.

....and lastly... how have you been in school for 4 years and not know what your interests are?.... >.>
Knowing what you want in life is not easy, it's pretty damn hard actually. School teaches you a lot of useless stuff.. at least for a long time.. School sucks and it's boring until you are done, at least to me. It's not like I'm really going to use Math, philosophy.. etc. in my daily life.. And even then, what you learn is generally irrelevant to what kind of job you really want.

Also M2k the IT guy... it reminded me of the Reckless Tortuga skit about this. lol.

Top Bottom