• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dear Mew2King

D

Deleted member

I'd like to personally review the time I've spent with you over what seems like a very long time. Although we don't end up talking as much as we used to, I still feel like you're my closest "smash friend" I guess along with JesiahTEG and I really feel like I understand you as a person much better than most people do even if you talk to them more often. You've asked me to keep probably a hundred secrets in the past 10 years and I've never shared a single one. But for now, I want to talk about something that isn't really a secret anymore; it's pretty obvious to me and a lot of other people that you haven't really enjoyed smash for a few years now.

First, let's go back in time for a bit. You sucked, hard. You were really bad. Then you got better. First off of random regional tournaments, then bum and wes, and then new jersey, then azen and chillin, pc, kdj, and finally ken. You were nothing short of hellbent of being "the best" to a point where I thought it was unhealthy. Suddenly in less than two years you were a world-class player. By mid 2007 you won FCD and had a reputation for single-handedly destroying entire crews in California. This is all well and good, but not really the point. The point here is that it's what you wanted to do. Even when you were stranded in Cleveland, and we had to get you to Erie so my dad could take you to a bus station in Pittsburgh, all you talked about to my dad was how you were "the best" and how talented you were. For 2 hours.

Change to recently, you've made it very clear anymore than your agenda is money. There is nothing wrong with raking in some pocket change for being good at something, but now that it has become your focal point, it feels like you just aren't happy anymore. It's not even just about "I lost over $30k" or "someone stole money from me" at some location. Those things suck, a lot, especially when money seems so tight and you're in college. However, I don't think a stack of cash is your real prize. Rather your prize is the pride of being "the best", a title I feel you let go of too easily as soon as people started making legitimate challenges for it. I know that I and a lot of other people on this forum would give up $30k for the pride of being the best in the world at anything, even something stupid, let alone two of the hardest competitive games ever. You went from living at home with a family that drives you nuts and I don't want to talk about that in public, being world champion and shutting yourself into those games, playing a lot of other games too, and just using your winnings from each tournament to make it to the next one. We actually had this conversation in 2007:

"How much did you make in teams?"
"I don't know. Whatever I don't care, I just want to play more."
"Ok well what did you do in teams? Like what strategy did you use?"
"****. I just ***** them" *smiling laugh*

/20 minutes later, I see you talking to Cort-

AND I DID THIS *imitates sheik's downthrow kind of* AND I DID THIS *a short, white boy jump* AND THEN I DID THIS *big arm wave like sheikslap* AND THE-

And so on. Let's compare this to our most recent conversation in person from a few months ago:

"Where have you been living? Are you even home anymore?"
"I've been staying random places for tournies."
"What do you do for laundry?"
"Not as often as I'd like."

You've been in Georgia for a month now? You openly admit that you only play the game for money. You just don't seem to be happy playing smash in any way.

Now, I know you've been focused on your girlfriend and school. I'm the exact same way, and have been for a long time. School is particularly expensive and I know why you're so frustrated with the money thing, I really do. But there are alternatives for school. I spent the last 4.5 years with NO money at all and I used my video game winnings from multiple games to pay for school. You saw how ****ty my apartment was when you stayed over that one time. It was really bad. It's just not worth it man.

Anyway, here's what I think you should do:

- Stop playing smash for money. Play smash for fun and money or just fun, but not exclusively money. It's having a noticeable effect on your behavior and you're just not as happy anymore. You deserve better than this.
- Stop getting frustrated at smash. It's seriously why you're losing. I don't know why you're getting frustrated so much, but I'd guess it's that you get impatient with Falco or Jigglypuff or Diddy or Olimar or whatever or that you're switching games too much. If you have to, I would even suggest dropping one game completely for the other.
- Let's work out your college expenses. I'll help you fill out the FAFSA and I'll help you apply for third-party scholarships, loans, or grants. Countless other college students go to school and not all of them are super talented at something. You can go to college like everyone else does and not have to deal with being effectively homeless or dealing with a bunch of unnecessary stress. We'll find a way to deal with it one way or another.

I think between covering all of your school hardships and making smash more enjoyable, you'll solve two problems at the same time.

to the mods: I know this is a personal appeal, but I'll ask that you leave it open here anyway. I feel that this topic addresses a lot of people in the community because m2k probably interacts with more people that any other person in the community. I really want everyone reading to post their thoughts here too. Maybe it'll hit Jason a little deeper if he sees that several hundred people want him to be happier than he is.

Sraigux

Smash Journeyman
This is a truly sincere thread, I approve.
"Where have you been living? Are you even home anymore?"
"I've been staying random places for tournies."
To tell you the truth, I would do this. Travel around america playing smash. Who wouldn't want to do that?

As for the money, the reason I would travel wouldn't be for the money, it would be for the reason stated above.

If you have to, I would even suggest dropping one game completely for the other.
That question was already answered the second you posted in the melee discussion board

Mike G

███████████████ 100%
BRoomer
Wow...

... Is M2K really that unhappy?
Seems like it, at least when I smashed with him at Evan's house with my friends Merc and Redfox. We pretty much came over there to visit him and I could tell that his interest in the game wasn't as high as it used to be. :( The only time I even saw him have a good time the whole night was when Redfox started making jokes about peaches slapping each other like ho's while I Peach ditto'd Jason(which was amazing <3)

Jason, I honestly didn't know you're that unhappy but if you're going to be in GA a little longer, you should hang out with me and my people. We don't even need to play smash. lol I know Evan is being super nice by sharing his apartment with ya while your're here, but It seems you're kinda stuck there anyway. lol

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
and I'll tag along so M2K doesn't feel like a racial minority

john!

Smash Hero
i was talking with smashers today and m2k was brought up. they said he seemed depressed with his life. i told them that he had dreams of being a video game designer, something i read on his website some time ago. if you still have dreams like that jason, go after them! you will definitely become more motivated, not just in that but in life in general.

Brookman

Smash Hero
I think this game, the community, and m2k would be a lot happier if MLG (or a similar company) were still sponsoring the game/its players.

D

Deleted member

I think this game, the community, and m2k would be a lot happier if MLG (or a similar company) were still sponsoring the game/its players.
probably, but lets be realistic about our goals. it's better for us to take care of our own at least until we know MLG's agenda.

N.A.G.A.C.E

Smash Champion
i dont know m2k i only met him once at a tourney so i might be way off. but it seems to me that maybe he could just use some time off. hes been playing smash for years now without much break so i am just thinking maybe a small vacation from the game is what he needs. the game became more like a job to him then a game and a break might help him think about it as a game again.

if this is off b/c i dont know him then just ignore it

MTKO

Smash Journeyman
I don't want to make any drastic assumptions about another person's feelings, but from my own experience I know that losing interest in a favorite thing or not caring about it like a hobby, friends, beliefs usually happens to me when there's serious personal issues going on and not just because I'm bored of those things. And I'll still do the things I like to do, Smash and music and other things, but they won't be enjoyable for a long time until things are good again. Even trying to change things up and do things I haven't done before doesn't really help, so I end up sticking to the things I like, even though I'm not enjoying them at the time. Just thought I'd put in my thoughts.

Flonomenalz

Smash Cadet
Hey M2K...

If you're in college, short on money, and you HAVEN'T filled out a FAFSA yet, that is nuts. Idc what you have to do, GET THIS DONE NOW. If you're doing well in school and have a plan to pay the money back, it's simply silly that you are stressing yourself out and being broke.

It really is that simple.

Metal Reeper

Smash Champion
I love Zimmermancincin from Cinamincin :)

M2K I am so a fanboy of yours and I know many more. I hope you continue to play. I think the next tourney you go to you should just try and have fun <3

Kite91

Mada Mada Dane
Most important thing to remember while playing Smash or any Game what so ever is to have Fun. Its the best way to improve on a game. Ive been saying this for a very long time now. M2K enjoy the game and enjoy life.

Mew2King

King of the Mews
Cinnaminson (southwest NJ 5 min drive from Philly)
Guys I have a question about Fafsa. Is it true you can get up to around 5000 free dollars without having to pay it back? Do I have to pay back every dollar to Fafsa, or is a few thousand just free money from the government ( I know about the loans you can get, but most people tell me you can get free money that you don't have to pay back as well). I would really like to know this information please

Mew2King, stick with Brawl if you need the money. You can't win in both games at national level. Besides, might you be overworking yourself if you try to win everything?

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Recommending him to play Brawl over Melee is just cruel, man.

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
Guys I have a question about Fafsa. Is it true you can get up to around 5000 free dollars without having to pay it back? Do I have to pay back every dollar to Fafsa, or is a few thousand just free money from the government ( I know about the loans you can get, but most people tell me you can get free money that you don't have to pay back as well). I would really like to know this information please
FAFSA has a bunch of issues that happen.

Mainly you can get grants and awards (Which for the most part you don't have to pay back) and the student loans (which you do have to pay, but the interest on student loans are really low for the most part).

I did rather well in school, Northeastern University I believe had roughly a 27K per semester for EE. I ended up (out of my 5 years there) only paying for roughly 1 semester total. I also received several scholarships, but having a single mom support 3 kids + FAFSA also played a decent role.

Their really is no downside to applying, some money you don't have to pay, and the rest helps your credit score later on when you need to make big purchases.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
Yes, you can get free money through the FAFSA. FAFSA qualifies you for the Federal Pell Grant, which you do not have to pay back since it's a grant.

In addition, most colleges require you to complete a FAFSA to qualify for their in-house financial aid programs. Most schools also offer grants, so make sure to fill out the FAFSA ASAP, as most forms of financial aid are first come, first served.

Mew2King

King of the Mews
Cinnaminson (southwest NJ 5 min drive from Philly)
I never got scholarships. I'm 22, and I got good grades, low A / high B average I'd say in high school. This was like 3-4 years ago when I graduated. Can I do anything about this? I'm considering a college here in Georgia around Atlanta but it's EXTRA expensive (like twice as much) if you are out of state which I am :/ so it's making my decision hard

Cobalt

Smash Journeyman
FAFSA does not, in itself, give you money. When you fill out the form, it takes your financial information among other things and returns what's called an "Expected Family Contribution", or EFC. This is an index that ranks how much you should have to pay for college compared to the rest of the nation. Your university receives your EFC along with whatever other financial information they request and then provide you something called a "financial aid package", which usually includes scholarships and grants (free money, don't have to pay it back), and loans. Filling out the FAFSA also automatically determines whether you are eligible for a Federal Pell Grant, and if you are eligible, jump on that.

You'll most likely end up with a Stafford Subsidized Loan and a Stafford Unsubsidized Loan. Depending on what year of college you're in, the maximum amount you can receive from these loans is different, with later years giving you a higher maximum. Subsidized loans have their interest taken care of for you, and so don't generate interest while you're in school. Unsubsidized loans do not. You do not have to pay back these loans until after you are no longer enrolled full-time in your university, though I believe you still pay interest on the unsubsidized loans while you are in school. And there is, I believe, a 6-month deferment period you can utilize for once you're out of school. But, whether you drop out or graduate, six months afterward is when you need to start making payments.

Any remaining amount left can be either paid by you or your family, or your parents can get what's called a Parent PLUS Loan. The maximum amount you can borrow for this loan is whatever your expected cost of attendance is, minus the amount of financial aid you have already received. This goes on your parents' credit, not yours.

I'll use my own situation as an example. I'm an undergrad at Carnegie Mellon University. Here's the financial aid package I got for this year:

Resident Cost of Attendance: $54,930.00
Carnegie Mellon Undergraduate Grant: $18,008.00
Institutional Scholarship: $3,800.00
T & B.F. Kotzin Scholarship Grant: $10,000.00
Outside Scholarship: $xxx
SCHOLARSHIP AMERICA SCHOLARSHIP: $xxx
Federal Direct Subsidized Loan: $xxx
Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan: $xxx
Federal Direct Parent Plus Loan: $xxx

I won't reveal how much those other values are worth. The first three things I got just from filling out FAFSA and sending it to my university. That's free money that I won't have to pay in order to go here. You can see the Stafford loans and the Parent PLUS loan at the bottom. I am not eligible for a Pell Grant.

Seriously, the only downside to filling out the FAFSA is the time you'll spend doing it. You can refuse the university's aid package if you want once they offer it, but without filling out both FAFSA and your university's financial aid application, you won't even be offered anything.

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
I just want to add my 2cents - the FAFSA can only help. It cannot hurt. There is no downside to filling it out, and here you have Umbreon offering to help you through it. Take that opportunity. Good luck in school. Tell PBNJ I said whats up. :)

TheDekuNut

Smash Journeyman
The FAFSA is a bunch of bull. given your situation it seems like you will get free money. not sure where you're living and all that but having less money will get you more money from grants. Apply to multiple colleges and when you get in tell the one you want to attend that you'd rather go to another cause its cheaper, good chance they will lower the price. and if you're like 1/32nd Native American put that down too. Also community college isn't too bad. having said this i have no idea about where you are in this whole process

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
Also be sure to talk to the financial aid office in your school for whatever assistance they can offer you. My school gives me a substantial amount of money simply for being a "non-traditional student," (that is, I'm over the age of 23) so you never know what you can get a scholarship for until you ask.

Once you know what they offer, apply for every single one. Even if it's a scholarship aimed at Jewish women studying dentistry, apply for it. Like Cobalt said, the only thing you'll lose is the half an hour it takes to fill it out, and the worst they can do is say no.

D

Deleted member

I went 4.5 years without getting any government aid at all. I ran out of money right before christmas, so I applied for the FAFSA and signed up for government aid. I started December 27th and my school was paid for before I went back less than two weeks later. And yes, I did get exactly $5000 for nothing. Not only that, I got all the money for the year for only one semester and not two since I already paid for fall 2010, so I went out last week and bought a second car with the refund money because I guess that legally falls under "transportation" costs. So yeah I just have two cars now. Now keep in mind that there's still a lot of it as loans, but the point is that I'm not living in total poverty and actually attending school.

Seriously, it's not as hard as it sounds. I'll help you with it.

edit: if you're not sure about going to Atlanta, go to that school and ask them about covering those extra costs. I mean, you're IN Georgia right? Make use of it?

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
My god . . .

Boy, it's called the Pell Grant. After you fill out the FAFSA, at the end, you will be told what you qualify for, just about. It doesn't cover everything, but the Pell Grant usually is one that people qualify for. That is a sum of 5,000 over two semesters. They get split between semesters and are given to you at a particular time within the semester to prevent folks from dropping classes without repercussions. **** man, here's the link to fill out the FAFSA for FREE!

Hell, depending on your situation, you could qualify for more. I didn't look at the grant name, but because I was recently laid off of work, I qualify for a $10,550 grant. Grants are a type of aid you don't have to pay back, and based off of doing my taxes, recently, I don't think you even need to put those on you taxes. But, don't take my word for it, because I'm still unsure and haven't spent any of my tax returns in case I get audited.

Iron Dragon

Smash Lord
Staying random places for tournies?

Sounds like my brother in 2007 =P

Anyways yes FAFSA is free but they give you a set amount based on income and you have to maintain good grades(which shouldn't be a problem) otherwise they take it away. Also, once you use all of the set amount you don't get anymore until next semester(obviously, and I'm sure this also wouldn't be a problem for you)

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
I never got scholarships. I'm 22, and I got good grades, low A / high B average I'd say in high school. This was like 3-4 years ago when I graduated. Can I do anything about this? I'm considering a college here in Georgia around Atlanta but it's EXTRA expensive (like twice as much) if you are out of state which I am :/ so it's making my decision hard
You should be fine. Just remember you have to find it yourself. For the most part you get scholarships by applying for them, not via recruitment like most sport athletes or genius students.

I must of applied to around 20-30 scholarships my first 2 years of college, did it pay off? Yes it did. I only ended up getting 2-3 of them but in the end that's less money I end up owing the school and 1 or 2 were obviously substantial (one was required above a 3.2 GPA and I kept the scholarship as long as I stayed above that GPA).

Just make sure to fill it out, make sure to apply for scholarships from your college of choice once you know your accepted. And go from there.

DewDaDash

Smash Lord
I went 4.5 years without getting any government aid at all. I ran out of money right before christmas, so I applied for the FAFSA and signed up for government aid. I started December 27th and my school was paid for before I went back less than two weeks later. And yes, I did get exactly $5000 for nothing. Not only that, I got all the money for the year for only one semester and not two since I already paid for fall 2010, so I went out last week and bought a second car with the refund money because I guess that legally falls under "transportation" costs. So yeah I just have two cars now. Now keep in mind that there's still a lot of it as loans, but the point is that I'm not living in total poverty and actually attending school.

Seriously, it's not as hard as it sounds. I'll help you with it.

edit: if you're not sure about going to Atlanta, go to that school and ask them about covering those extra costs. I mean, you're IN Georgia right? Make use of it?
How much money you get depends mostly on your parents+your financial earnings as well as your grades(though not as much, for scholarships and such). Like max's story, I go to UF with everything paid for, my dorm, my meal plan, my classes for the semester+ books, and on top of that I get around a $2,000 check for the semester back in the mail for money I haven't used yet that I can technically use for w/e I care for. Also, in high school I had a 5.2GPA with a 3.7ish GPA, those being weighted and unweighted(I don't remember which one AP courses influence). I managed to get 2 outside scholarships from it as well too, so that payed for about $3,000 this year, and a scholarship from the school. But I have a single mom and I don't work so I guess getting the rest of the money is to be expected from FAFSA. In reality, you technically don't have a job either, so it could work in your favor. I'm surprised not everyone knows about FAFSA

Top Bottom