• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dealing with Shield Pressure

Cox Box

Smash Cadet
I know that Ike doesn't have a strong out of shield game, but I find myself consistently struggling in situations where a technical spacie or characters like them put lots of pressure on my shield. What options do I have? What options work best in certain situations? Is it character dependent?

Basically, talk about Ike's defensive options in this thread.

AfroQT

Smash Master
Warning Received
When im under shield pressure, i try to remember who i'm fighting for, which usually tends to be my friends.

Commander

Smash Ace
You just have o try to avoid being in shield. When under pressure you have to have good shield DI and wait for a moment to grab, roll out, or wavedash out. You simply don't have anything that can come out fast enough to get out of shield pressure.

Cox Box

Smash Cadet
So does that mean that shielding is almost always a bad idea when playing as Ike? What is the least punishable way to be on the defensive? Fadeaway fairs are really the only thing that comes to mind, but I'm still learning a lot of things about this game and this character.

Commander

Smash Ace
You really need to focus on proper spacing and baiting to avoid getting trapped in shield. I prefer using nair for spacing since it has less lag, but others prefer fair for the physical space. Find your own style.

Last edited:

X0dus

Smash Apprentice
Shield DI, shield tilting (If they auto-pilot, it screws with their L-canceling), buffer rolls, shield grabs, stuff like that. WD OOS is good if they are behind you.

Top Bottom