• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dealing With Rage

Jackguti

Smash Cadet
NNID
Jackguti
So I love playing smash brothers right? I usually just play for glory online because I'm not SUPER into the tournament going side of things but I still love watching and playing smash at a higher level. I usually do this by playing for glory. I run into the usual spams and rolls and what not, but regardless of who I play, I always seem to lose my cool whenever I lose to something I feel like was dumb. For example, I'll do a misinput and I'll end up SDing but I can't really laugh it off, I usually rage and idk how to really handle it. I just broke my GC controller and so I'll probably have to wait a long while before I can really start again(i could use another idk) but basically what I'm saying is, how do YOU as a player(competitive, casual or what not) deal with rage. The answer could be anything I just want to find a way to relieve the stress I get sometimes because I truly do love playing smash brothers but my exaggerated feelings need to stop. Thanks again!

Lola Luftnagle

Banned via Warnings
Yeah, blame it on input lag inherent to online play. I ain't planning on being competitive with this anytime soon but if I feel enraged what I would do is this: slowly turn off the game, put it away for a while, and find something else to do. I pick up a book to read, start a cooking project, catch up on TBN or Yu-Gi-Oh! reruns to get my mind off of it.

I remember not too long ago I was on a quest to unlock all the Mii hats/outfits and custom specials. I spent a vast majority of time on Target Blast since I said "the **** with fighting CPUs". Anyways, I felt discouraged 'cause of the duplicates and equipment I'll probably never use. Now, I'm-a sound like we are in church when I say this: I had to wait on the Lord and be encouraged. I kept at it for several days and found all of the customs and resigned to myself I don't want any more rewards.

Another time I raged was when I was trying to unlock my girl :4lucina: while I was :4bowser:. She was kicking my ass big time, I foolishly tried a side smash on her but she read me and broke out her ****ing counter on me that I had to pause and reset out of shame. Now I tried again as :rosalina:, my other girl, and unlocked her by having Luma pick up some of the slack.

And that is my story. As I said earlier, if y'all have some other hobby, do that for a while and then come back to this. Most importantly, y'all have to enjoy yourself and be patient. Don't focus overmuch on improving for if y'all do it makes you more stressed. That y'all don't want. :)

Last edited:

Jackguti

Smash Cadet
NNID
Jackguti
Thanks for the story. I've been starting to do more things that relax me so hopefully that'll help going forward. I know how tedious it is trying to unlock things; my friend and I have spent hours trying to unlock things
Yeah, blame it on input lag inherent to online play. I ain't planning on being competitive with this anytime soon but if I feel enraged what I would do is this: slowly turn off the game, put it away for a while, and find something else to do. I pick up a book to read, start a cooking project, catch up on TBN or Yu-Gi-Oh! reruns to get my mind off of it.

I remember not too long ago I was on a quest to unlock all the Mii hats/outfits and custom specials. I spent a vast majority of time on Target Blast since I said "the **** with fighting CPUs". Anyways, I felt discouraged 'cause of the duplicates and equipment I'll probably never use. Now, I'm-a sound like we are in church when I say this: I had to wait on the Lord and be encouraged. I kept at it for several days and found all of the customs and resigned to myself I don't want any more rewards.

Another time I raged was when I was trying to unlock my girl :4lucina: while I was :4bowser:. She was kicking my *** big time, I foolishly tried a side smash on her but she read me and broke out her ****ing counter on me that I had to pause and reset out of shame. Now I tried again as :rosalina:, my other girl, and unlocked her by having Luma pick up some of the slack.

And that is my story. As I said earlier, if y'all have some other hobby, do that for a while and then come back to this. Most importantly, y'all have to enjoy yourself and be patient. Don't focus overmuch on improving for if y'all do it makes you more stressed. That y'all don't want. :)

Last edited:

GeflGabe

Smash Apprentice
NNID
GeflGabe
3DS FC
4141-7244-4594
Switch FC
SW-7469-5871-5880
I remember my rate of being tilted by pretty much almost anything has been defused with patience, focus and practice.
This video was how I began my journey for salt control if you're interested. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-tBBPl0eNs
To avoid further salt, I love to focus on improving and training to get better, which has definitely improved me to where I am now. Yet I still have a long road ahead.

Last edited:

Captain Phobos

Smash Apprentice
I don't really play for glory too much, but if I'm playing with another person irl, I just switch to random so I'm likely to get a character I don't play much so I have an excuse for loosing if I really get frustrated.

Xandra

Smash Cadet
NNID
xandrasmash
While I never really raged I did get insanely depressed when I'd lose because I thought I was, well, y'know. Really bad. Which in all fairness I was, but moping about it wasn't going to help me get better. And that's the same mentality you've gotta have when it comes to raging.

The more you train and the more you practice, the more you realize that losing doesn't matter. Even the absolute best players in the world lose sometimes and that's okay, because everyone loses no matter how good they are. So, a lose doesn't meant you're trash per se, it just means maybe it's time for more training and analyzing. Look at what you did wrong and figure out how to change that. Practice some new combos. Either way, I found working and becoming better made me feel much more at peace, even when I lost. That's just me though.

Top Bottom