• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dealing with projectiles?

ConeZ

Smash Apprentice
Alright, so I think my biggest problem with MK (outside of a few matchups, is dealing with projectiles... unsurprisingly.

In short, I just find MK's interactions with them to be awkward, again unsurprisingly, and I have a lot of trouble dealing with players who use them to cover their approaches, so I was wondering what other players do to deal with projectiles in general.

Specifically, I have trouble with Mario and Wolf, so if anyone has any sort of advice about maneuvering around them or how they play neutral against those types of characters, then that'd be nice.

sneakytako

Smash Lord
Mario fireballs aren't hard to deal with, you have to remember the mario has to position himself above you to be most effective with fireballs. If he's too far/low, jump over them and nair him in the face. If he's too high, dash under them and nair him in the face. If he's too close, run away and jump over them and you know what to do. There are scenarios where he is either just in the right spot or you have no space to escape; learn this spacing and either avoid them or get good at PS at these ranges, the fireballs is really easy to PS.

Wolf blaster is another story. It's hard to interrupt because the gun has a hitbox, and it's slow so it's hard to wait and let it hit your shield and react. What I can say is that it's way worse to shield and have free pressure applied rather than going for a trade with nair with the gun; I would camp platforms until he is off balance and then go in. What really sucks is that wolf has an excellent cc game against MK, CC shine is just brutal. Run away to a platform, wait till he jumps and hope for a grab imo.

Last edited:

ConeZ

Smash Apprentice
Mario fireballs aren't hard to deal with, you have to remember the mario has to position himself above you to be most effective with fireballs. If he's too far/low, jump over them and nair him in the face. If he's too high, dash under them and nair him in the face. If he's too close, run away and jump over them and you know what to do. There are scenarios where he is either just in the right spot or you have no space to escape; learn this spacing and either avoid them or get good at PS at these ranges, the fireballs is really easy to PS.

Wolf blaster is another story. It's hard to interrupt because the gun has a hitbox, and it's slow so it's hard to wait and let it hit your shield and react. What I can say is that it's way worse to shield and have free pressure applied rather than going for a trade with nair with the gun; I would camp platforms until he is off balance and then go in. What really sucks is that wolf has an excellent cc game against MK, CC shine is just brutal. Run away to a platform, wait till he jumps and hope for a grab imo.
Thanks for the reply man! (Also, did you go to Smash! the Score? I think I went to number 6 with Chipgroove, and I think you were the 1 seed in my pool. I COULD be wrong though.

So basically for Mario just move aggressively around them to punish him, and for Wolf, I am vindicated in feeling that they are awkward to deal with.
Basically, what I am taking away is that I should utilize platforms better then. I really don't think I do because my playstyle tends to be heavily based on staying grounded on the stage and trying to get below my opponent which I suppose would give me problems if that means I am less likely to dodge their awkward projectiles.

sneakytako

Smash Lord
Yeah I got 5th at smash at the score, chip groove beat me in winner's semis.

Also you have a tendency to use '(' but not the other ')'.

Last edited:

Kulprit

Smash Cadet
My roommate is a Wolf main, so I have a ton of experience in the MU. Alot of the time I'll just CC the laser because (for the most part) damage doesn't matter in the MU, it's Wolf getting that combo string started that matters. And when you CC the laser, you don't lose stage control like running away does. I do run away sometimes thought when I know Wolf is approaching me with laser, rather than just zoning with laser. If they approach too deep, you can run away & stay out of laser distance and punish with d-tilt, nair, or even grab (surprisingly good).

As a general rule in the MK vs Wolf MU, learn to abuse crouch cancelling, as it narrows down Wolf's windows of opportunity to start a combo string after winning the neutral.

I really hate being on a platform vs a grounded Wolf in the neutral because he basically gets a free combo string started, even if you do CC it.

Basically, what I am taking away is that I should utilize platforms better then. I really don't think I do because my playstyle tends to be heavily based on staying grounded on the stage and trying to get below my opponent which I suppose would give me problems if that means I am less likely to dodge their awkward projectiles.
Staying grounded is my main game plan in the neutral against Wolf, so don't feel bad about doing so. Just gotta CC more.

Hope this helped.

Last edited:

Narelex

Smash Journeyman
Power shielding is very effective at dealing with projectiles as well if you can learn to do it consistently.

I agree with staying grounded vs Wolf jumping in the MU is just asking to get up-aired. It should be a race to see who can put whom in the air first the way the Marth/Roy Matchups are for MK.

Last edited:

sneakytako

Smash Lord
Eff that noise. I run around each platform until I get an opening.

MK doesn't win on the ground, wolf CC > our CC and shine is so fast that it negates a lot of good spacing from mk. If you decide to dash dance he's just going to start blastering. GG.

Last edited:

MegaAmoonguss

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MegaAmoonguss
3DS FC
2251-4929-9404
My biggest projectile problem is actually versus Samus. I always end up getting missile spammed, especially on the stages where she can do the double missile trick using a platform (I forget the stages where the platforms are perfect height to be able to do it). I end up getting stuck in shield and then either have no good escape options when she goes in on me and grabs me or no stage positioning after coming out of shield. If I try to dodge them I always end up getting hit, especially on the double missile stages. I just end up getting stuck in the air when trying to dodge and it never works out. My only solution to this is to apply enough immediate pressure where she doesn't get an opportunity to get enough space and spam, but obviously this is hard because it just means dominating and winning. Does anyone have advice against her?

sneakytako

Smash Lord
Have you tried dash attacking the lower power missles? I think you should bite the bullet and cc the homing ones.

ConeZ

Smash Apprentice
My biggest projectile problem is actually versus Samus. I always end up getting missile spammed, especially on the stages where she can do the double missile trick using a platform (I forget the stages where the platforms are perfect height to be able to do it). I end up getting stuck in shield and then either have no good escape options when she goes in on me and grabs me or no stage positioning after coming out of shield. If I try to dodge them I always end up getting hit, especially on the double missile stages. I just end up getting stuck in the air when trying to dodge and it never works out. My only solution to this is to apply enough immediate pressure where she doesn't get an opportunity to get enough space and spam, but obviously this is hard because it just means dominating and winning. Does anyone have advice against her?
I dont actually have as many probs with samus as others do, but honestly run into powershields and jump over the missiles until you get close enough to punish her next move, and when he hit Samus you have to focus on doing everything you can to put her above you and keep her there.

Her neutral game is bad for us, but our punish game (juggles) are good enough to effectively end her stock if you can keep the pressure once you do overcome her neutral.

Kulprit

Smash Cadet
Eff that noise. I run around each platform until I get an opening.

MK doesn't win on the ground, wolf CC > our CC and shine is so fast that it negates a lot of good spacing from mk. If you decide to dash dance he's just going to start blastering. GG.
Down tilt does amazing against CC and it outspaces shine. And if they laser while I'm Dash dancing, I'll either CC it in place (if they're in range for MK to be able to punish) or jump over them (escaping to a platform for a couple seconds can always do you some good).

But overall, MK is a ground-based character in the neutral and LOVES the air when he has advantage. (preferrably under the opponent)

Narelex

Smash Journeyman
Down tilt does amazing against CC and it outspaces shine. And if they laser while I'm Dash dancing, I'll either CC it in place (if they're in range for MK to be able to punish) or jump over them (escaping to a platform for a couple seconds can always do you some good).

But overall, MK is a ground-based character in the neutral and LOVES the air when he has advantage. (preferrably under the opponent)
Dtilt isn't that good against true CC actually. But when most people think of CC they're actually thinking of SDI down. Dtilt does indeed rip apart SDI down.

MegaAmoonguss

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MegaAmoonguss
3DS FC
2251-4929-9404
Dtilt isn't that good against true CC actually. But when most people think of CC they're actually thinking of SDI down. Dtilt does indeed rip apart SDI down.
Yeah I always get rekt by people CCing my dtilt. I find it much better to learn someone's CC patterns and just not go in and grab when you know they're gonna CC.

ConeZ

Smash Apprentice
Yeahhhh, if Dtilt was good against CC, I would be d tilting a lot to deal with my fairly good local Peach main, and well let us just say I don't use d tilt too often against him for reasons xD

MegaAmoonguss

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MegaAmoonguss
3DS FC
2251-4929-9404
Yeahhhh, if Dtilt was good against CC, I would be d tilting a lot to deal with my fairly good local Peach main, and well let us just say I don't use d tilt too often against him for reasons xD
If d-tilt broke CC Meta Knight would pretty much be broken lol

Top Bottom