• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dealing with Marth's dance

Ignatious

Smash Cadet
I'm playing against a good Marth and he's good with that dancing move. He's never dumb enough to finish the attack when I'm shielding, so it feels almost nonpunishable. Am I wrong here, can I punish him even if he doesn't finish the move? Is it possible to start shielding after being hit by the first slash? Or can our A combo interrupt it in the middle?

1PokeMastr

Smash Champion
Things like this should be made in the Question and Answer thread so that the boards don't get useless clutter threads.

-Cross-

Smash Ace
I'm playing against a good Marth and he's good with that dancing move. He's never dumb enough to finish the attack when I'm shielding, so it feels almost nonpunishable. Am I wrong here, can I punish him even if he doesn't finish the move? Is it possible to start shielding after being hit by the first slash? Or can our A combo interrupt it in the middle?
First of all, Dancing blades (the move you are talking about) is not safe on shield. Which means you can punish it if he doesn't space correctly and you shield it, so yes, you are wrong. The key to punishing is anticipation. If you're blocking it, and you realize he doesn't try and finish it then you just know that you have to shield grab it faster, and you don't have to wait for the last hit. In fact, once the third hit comes out, if you shield grab quickly enough, the fourth hit cannot hit you before he gets grabbed. *This is only the case where he is in range to get grabbed, but since Marth steps into you, this will almost always be the case*

Atm you just aren't reacting fast enough. This isn't a knock against your natural reaction time (unless you do just have slow reactions), but it's just a sign that you need to look for/concentrate on certain visual cues. For example, knowing what I told you about the 4th hit being punishable, you concentrate on waiting for the third hit to come out. Or using your previous experience against him, you wait for whichever hit he usually stops at to come out, and then you can immediately input your punish. This is why I say anticipation is key. You can react much faster if you expect something to happen by focusing on other visual cues, then just playing randomly and not thinking/anticipating at all.

Nothing can interrupt his combo once he starts it unless you SDI like crazy or he inputs the slashes very slowly. But on shield, it is definitely punishable.

LOLOL

-Cross-

Smash Ace
^I know right?

You should join the skype chat, then you can really see me in action :D

gunterrsmash01

Smash Champion
Only thing bad about marths side B is that it just puts you in a bad position = in the air near Marth. so just land somewhere safely and it won't seem so annoying. It can lead into huge strings by Marth by basically juggling you starting from that move.

Oh i didnt even read the post. You should only punish the marth after shielding the last hit of dancing blade. If he doesnt finish and your shielding, I'm not sure you have enough time to drop your shield and do something. And your pretty much at his mercy if you get hit with that first hit. the only thing you can DI out of is the downward multi slashes, I believe.

1PokeMastr

Smash Champion
Only thing bad about marths side B is that it just puts you in a bad position = in the air near Marth. so just land somewhere safely and it won't seem so annoying. It can lead into huge strings by Marth by basically juggling you starting from that move.

Oh i didnt even read the post. You should only punish the marth after shielding the last hit of dancing blade. If he doesnt finish and your shielding, I'm not sure you have enough time to drop your shield and do something. And your pretty much at his mercy if you get hit with that first hit. the only thing you can DI out of is the downward multi slashes, I believe.
When he goes for Side x 4.
SDi away from him and you're out.
When he goes Side Side Up SDi down and Shield.

If he does the first hit.
That's punishable by jab or grab even if it hits you.

The third hit is more Punishable.
If you Power Shield it somehow.
You have a 31 frame advantage on Block before Marth can do anything.
You can even SDi behind Marth and be behind him.. or Hold up if you anticipate it, and you'll almost always get out.

Top Bottom