• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dealing with Mario gimps during recovery

alphex

Smash Rookie
Hey guys, so I have been having trouble recently with my friend who mains Mario. He has been gimping me with his F.L.U.D.D and cape whenever I try to recover using my aether. When I try to recover high I get the F.L.U.D.D to the face. And when I try to recover low to counter this my friend will get me with his cape every now and then. Is there any good way to stop this? I have tried quick draw but most of the time my friend will use F.L.U.D.D which leaves me with only using my aether to recover, which leaves me back to getting gimped again.

Arrei

Smash Lord
Aether is, essentially, not an option in this fight. If Mario has good aim he can send his water stream to catch you at the ledge even at the lowest height. Best of all is to simply get back without needing to use a recovery move at all, but that's not always an option. Your most reliable recovery move is going to be using Quick Draw while still high up, to sail right over Mario's head so he can't cape or Fair you without telegraphing it with a full jump and double jump, in which case that's your cue to keep holding Quick Draw and go for the ledge (or if you're high enough and charged enough, to release it because Mario's air speed isn't fast enough to go up that quick). If he starts anticipating this and runs back to catch you with an Usmash, that's also when you go for the ledge, although depending on the timing you'll likely still go too far and too fast for him to catch you.

Most of Mario's attacks will send you high up, so this isn't very hard to do. However, Mario's Dsmash and Fthrow will send you at a low angle, so avoid fighting with your back to the edge as much as possible, even when you're not approaching death percentage.

Last edited:
Top Bottom