• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dealing with Counter

jukeb0xer

Smash Rookie
Hi Guys,

This is my first post, apologies if this isn't the correct place for this or if I'm doing something wrong. Also, I'm fairly new the game and a pretty low level with Pikachu.

I know the obvious strategy would be to bait the Counter and go for a Grab. But is there anything else that Pikachu can do to effectively deal with this? I feel like it's quite challenging to close in on a ranged sword character and when I do I just get countered.

TLDR version: My roommate who mains Marth/Corrin is owning me with Counter and I need help plz <3

Noro~

Smash Cadet
Hello and welcome to Smashboards~

Here are some general tips I can give you when dealing with swordies:
Approach patiently. Rushing doesn't work for us against these match ups due to our pathetic range / inability to trade effectively with Fair.
Force approaches by waiting and using Tjolt. It's easier to punish their approach by abusing their lackluster frame data then it is to get through their hitboxes. For example, if they use a full hop to approach (something our local Roy main used to do) you can run in and Upair, since none of his moves are fast enough to challenge it.
Condition your opponent. I guess you like to approach with things like short hop Dair or Fair? If so, mix in some empty hops to bait the counter and then grab. We get a LOT out of a grab, so it's never bad to land one of those.

MVboy39

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MVboy39
3DS FC
4940-5715-0569
Does your roommate always counter when he's landing near your current position? If so, charge a smash attack and wait. After a while he may adapt, but by then, you will have adapted too.

jukeb0xer

Smash Rookie
My go to approach has been to try and dash behind tjolts. I can short hop forward air somewhat consistently, but I can't do the short hop down air in a real match just yet (need more practice).

I always feel like I have to tip-toe around counter but being patient makes a lot of sense. I will give this a try and see how it goes.

Charging the smash also seems interesting, most of the Counters i've fallen for have been with quick smashes.

MVboy39

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MVboy39
3DS FC
4940-5715-0569
My go to approach has been to try and dash behind tjolts. I can short hop forward air somewhat consistently, but I can't do the short hop down air in a real match just yet (need more practice).
The thing about shorthop forward-air is that if your opponent shields it, they get to grab you... unless you use it from the back. If you shorthop forward-air the back of someone's shield, that's (almost) free shield pressure right there, since they aren't facing you and therefore can't grab you.

The_Devious

Smash Apprentice
NNID
The_devious97
Don't throw out moves with weird hitboxes, as that will work against you

Last edited:

w0ah

Smash Cadet
NNID
lanybobany
Use the a button right after bumping its a lot easier and faster then the c stick.

Last edited:

DeaDea

Smash Cadet
The thing about shorthop forward-air is that if your opponent shields it, they get to grab you... unless you use it from the back. If you shorthop forward-air the back of someone's shield, that's (almost) free shield pressure right there, since they aren't facing you and therefore can't grab you.
If you space the fair properly then your opponent cannot punish you - even if they are facing you. Not even shiek or mario can punish you after the shield hitstun patch! Its a good way to bait your opponent to use a grab or another attack which you can then punish.

Last edited:

Vessace

Smash Rookie
Dash-Shielding lets you approach safely, and afterwards you can either grab out of shield or spot dodge if you read a grab of theirs. Pikachu has amazing grab game, so as long as you can get in safely and space out your opponent with TJolt then you should utilize it. Don't go for lengthy strings, just aim for true combos so that your opponent can't do much to punish you out of hitstun.

The Real Mr. M

Smash Rookie
If I suspect a counter, I usually just charge up a forward smash. If you can get him doing it near the edge, you could kill at around 50.

Top Bottom