• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dealing with Camping

ConeZ

Smash Apprentice
Okay, so I feel like my Falcon is pretty decent since I have toyed around with him a lot. I have figured out ways to deal with some campers that use single projectiles like Pikachu or Mario or Pit/ Dark Pit, since Power Shielding and approaching isn't difficult, as their projectiles are also easily cancelled with a single jab.

My problem is in matchups with characters like Link, Tink, and ROB, where they have multiple projectiles to throw out. I just don't know how to get in because you can't jab cancel their projectiles, and you can't run into power shield because of the kind of stupid slide lag at the end of dashing.
Maybe these will just end up being bad matchups for Falcon or something, but I just really have no idea what to do in general when dealing with characters that camp w/ multiple projectiles in this game, and I was wondering if anyone had some good tips?

victra♥

crystal skies
Slippi.gg
victra#0
i almost got timed about by a duck hunt player at a tournament recently. getting camped in this game sucks total ass.

you can cancel your dash with shield and you can drop it into gentlemens.

it's definitely tough, especially since you can take a stock asap with some fatty combo like you can in melee with falcon.

just gotta be patient. falcon is one heavy g and can live for a long time as long you vector correctly and dont get hit by any big hits.

ConeZ

Smash Apprentice
i almost got timed about by a duck hunt player at a tournament recently. getting camped in this game sucks total ***.

you can cancel your dash with shield and you can drop it into gentlemens.

it's definitely tough, especially since you can take a stock asap with some fatty combo like you can in melee with falcon.

just gotta be patient. falcon is one heavy g and can live for a long time as long you vector correctly and dont get hit by any big hits.
Yeah, I think I have just kinda realized that being patient and focusing on powershielding and slowly getting hits in is the way to go. It is just a vastly different approach at the game than Falcon's usual style which is generally more fast paced with more mix-ups and whatnot, but tonight, I've been playing slower, capitalizing off of enemy errors and just practicing my powershielding and jabbing to clank with weak spammy projectiles.

I think the biggest problem for me is that I know winning in Sudden Death will be difficult against campers because range and 300%, so I try to rush things, when I should really be focusing on playing safe and not giving up any ground.
That and being camped/ lamed out kinda sucks the fun out of the game for me, so it almost puts me on tilt just because it drains the fun out of things, but I think I can deal with it.
I just gotta learn to adapt if I want to be competitive.

On another note, I have found Falcon Kick to be a good punish for campers that whiff something with a split second of endlag if they are at mid-ish range because it'll go through some things that the dash attack and dash grab won't, so I like to add it into the mix-ups.

SonicZeroX

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4425-1491-5645
you can't run into power shield because of the kind of stupid slide lag at the end of dashing.
I think in this game you can actually cancel run directly into shield, BUT if you let go of the stick before you shield then you have to slide first.

abit_rusty

Smash Lord
NNID
Rontuaru
3DS FC
2895-8974-0662
Got wrecked by a DHD in a Bo3. I hope to play him in future sets to learn the matchup. Honestly it was hellish at first trying to approach the conventional way since his projectiles cover most options, but for some reason, stay with me, I decided to start throwing out falcon kicks to test its priority against projectiles. It actually worked well, knocked his down b gunner dude out of the way when timed properly and threw him off his routine. Also I took longer than I should have to get used to the multi hit of the frisbee, but it's complete garbage that he can run up and grab you in that time that you're stuck in shield.

It seems like all DHD wants to do is run and camp and finish you with an offhand smash at high percent. I just have to figure out how to capitalize better when I get up close, and also punish low recoveries. Probably needed to do more into-stage bairs

BigLord

Smash Lord
NNID
BiigLord
3DS FC
3024-7470-9499
but it's complete garbage that he can run up and grab you in that time that you're stuck in shield.
If you know that's coming, all you have to do is roll towards him at the correct time. At least that's what I did when I went against a similar DHD. Either that, or jump over the disc.

abit_rusty

Smash Lord
NNID
Rontuaru
3DS FC
2895-8974-0662
If you know that's coming, all you have to do is roll towards him at the correct time. At least that's what I did when I went against a similar DHD. Either that, or jump over the disc.
Interesting. I did not know rolling out of multi-hit shielded attacks was possible. I need to study my replays then and look for missed chances for this.

BigLord

Smash Lord
NNID
BiigLord
3DS FC
3024-7470-9499
Oh, sorry, not out of the multi-hit. You need to roll before DHD hits B.

It IS still possible, but extremely difficult, to roll out of multi-hit shielded attacks, though.

KACHOW!!!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
T.M.Paunch
3DS FC
2122-6416-3741
Got wrecked by a DHD in a Bo3. I hope to play him in future sets to learn the matchup. Honestly it was hellish at first trying to approach the conventional way since his projectiles cover most options, but for some reason, stay with me, I decided to start throwing out falcon kicks to test its priority against projectiles. It actually worked well, knocked his down b gunner dude out of the way when timed properly and threw him off his routine. Also I took longer than I should have to get used to the multi hit of the frisbee, but it's complete garbage that he can run up and grab you in that time that you're stuck in shield.

It seems like all DHD wants to do is run and camp and finish you with an offhand smash at high percent. I just have to figure out how to capitalize better when I get up close, and also punish low recoveries. Probably needed to do more into-stage bairs
In most instances, Raptor boost and falcon kick are your best options for mixing up any opponent. As moves in their own right, they're both universally terrible. They only become good once your match has a specific meta to it, I.E., when someone's got you locked down with one specific move that disrupts your falcon somehow (usually a projectile).

BigLord

Smash Lord
NNID
BiigLord
3DS FC
3024-7470-9499
As moves in their own right, they're both universally terrible.
What? No way lol, grounded Raptor Boost is such a good killer against roll spammers. Specially roll spammers who also spam projectiles while camping from afar.

Picture this: a Link spamming his arrows and bombs from a ledge, you dash against him and he starts rolling towards the opposing ledge. Raptor Boost. He gets hit because he can't stop rollin' rollin' rollin'. KO.

And Falcon Kick is a good way to punish rollers if you're sure RB won't kill them. And Aerial Falcon Kick is a good mix-up, too. Also, grounded Falcon Kick can KO now, at high percents (150%~).

KACHOW!!!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
T.M.Paunch
3DS FC
2122-6416-3741
BigLord, thats what I was saying, is that raptor boost and fal kick are answers to rolls basically, but unless its totally out of nowhere on the opponent, they'll punish you for it. More of an answer, rather than a threat in its own right.

BigLord

Smash Lord
NNID
BiigLord
3DS FC
3024-7470-9499
So they're punishers, rather than approaches, then. Yeah, that was my original point, too :)

BakiThaG

Smash Apprentice
Being patient is really the only thing you can do. I like to use falcons dash grab after shielding a few of their projectiles, it provides a opening large enough to force them to change their play style

SxK

Karakuri Shogun mdl 00 "Burei"

Bo3 against Masky's DHD from a tournament this past weekend /relevant. game one was bad, but 2/3 went well

Last edited:

Mrwhatzitooya

Smash Journeyman
I've found the info on this pretty helpful for most of my matches against DHD and ROB (double kneeing ROB never felt so good! :p ), but I still have big problems against Link and Tink. I find that a lot of players spam boomerangs and arrows til you get close, then either Fsmash or roll and grab, making the whole advance useless. I'd really appreciate some help on this one... :/

Top Bottom