• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dealing with annoying parts of a match up: Wolf and trained pokemon

Eagleye893

Smash Champion
NNID
isJolTz
3DS FC
1821-9332-2146
Diddy: make sure you claim his bananas! you will be slipping into tons of different combos if you aren't careful. learn to grab his bananas (and peanuts, but they aren't used too often) out of the air so you can prevent the multitude of bananas on the ground slipping you up. also, if you hit him out of his upb, beware of the barrels. one time the barrel went off screen and hit me out of nowhere and killed me. ness.... i tried glide tossing with him, but he moves almost nowhere. maybe i'm doing it wrong. I don't know. beware of his sideb off the edge. in one match i saw of this diddy, he sideb'd one of the people there, waited till they fell to the bottom of the screen and jumped off, killing him and leaving the diddy safe to recover.

Wario: don't be stupid around the bike. it may be annoying, but it isnt like it's the best move in the game. i'm not sure because i dont play warios too often, but maybe a retreated fair properly spaced could hit him from the bike. jump over him if you don't know, but watch out if he gets off and starts attacking you. his smashes are annoying... i dont know what else.

Is there a DDD section to this guide? i had a ton of trouble with him at the last tourney i went to.

Cacti

Smash Journeyman
Ness has a horrible glide toss, it doesn't have much of a slide. You're probably doing it right.

Also, you should watch out for his dash attack. It has hardly any ending lag and Diddy can follow it up with a usmash or fsmash.

Uffe

Smash Hero
For Wario's Bike, if you do decide to jump over him, use nair while you're at it or something, because he can jump off and hit you with any of his aerial attacks. Anyway, Eagleye was asking how to deal with D³. Well, I'm not too sure how to deal with him since he can just chaingrab you, but there was something amazing I saw in a video that I still have yet to try myself.

Watch what Ness does at 6:30. Try it, learn it, use it.

EDIT: I meant Eagleye. >_<

Eagleye893

Smash Champion
NNID
isJolTz
3DS FC
1821-9332-2146
For Wario's Bike, if you do decide to jump over him, use nair while you're at it or something, because he can jump off and hit you with any of his aerial attacks. Anyway, Eagleye was asking how to deal with D³. Well, I'm not too sure how to deal with him since he can just chaingrab you, but there was something amazing I saw in a video that I still have yet to try myself.

Watch what Ness does at 6:30. Try it, learn it, use it.

EDIT: I meant Eagleye. >_<
yeah... i know that he's fairly easy to chain pkfires on, but the ddd i played on saturday was REALLY good at SDI'ing out of it. i got a first pick of smashville (didn't want YI, but i sucked anyways) and a second of battlefield (loss by tripping) because there weren't any good CP stages and he immediately bans norfair. my main secondaries are cfalc and ic's but if i switch to IC's, he goes with marth. I still feel like i should have done the switch, but i wanted to be sure of myself, and i'm really not that good with IC's. Cfalc won't help me anywhere. i tried staying above him with the platforms on both stages, but he can easily utilt me on smashville and the upper platform on battlefield doesn't allow me to attack safely. help! I'm in a pickle with DDD (ew...).

Uffe

Smash Hero
Which direction does he come out of? Getting hit by PKF from above is harder to escape than the original approach. Also, let them ban Norfair. You should counterpick Brinstar against Marth or D3. I two stocked a Marth on Brinstar yesterday, which is pretty good considering I haven't played for about five weeks. And this wasn't some easy Marth because he three stocked me the first match.

I was using Ness all the way through by the way. Anyway, Brinstar is a great stage for Ness. PK Fire is good for that stage if you know how to use it correctly. I've two stocked many of my opponents on that stage and so have a few other Ness mains. Just never use that stage on Lucas. Him and Ness basically have the same good stages. Here are a number of things you should know when you're fighting on Brinstar.

There are platforms which can make fair something a little more reliable than it already is. The best part, you don't really have to approach high enough to hit them, which I guess if they tried to grab you, would be somewhat impossible for them to do since you're not on their platform and you're a little under them. When you use PK Fire, don't intentionally aim it at your opponent. Aim at what causes fire pillars.

Keep in mind that the gooey stuff on Brinstar lag your attacks which is okay since if your opponent gets close, they'll probably get hit by the unexpecting interrupted frames? Watch out for the green goo at the bottom, though. Yesterday I fell right through it and it wasn't even broken. I believe I airdodged and fell through it. I recovered, but still.

Anyway, the whole point of me telling you this is that D3 does not do good against curvy stages from what I've been told and he's not PK Fire friendly, either. Also, the area is basically enclosed, so you can see how this stage can be bad for someone like D3. The same can be applied to just about any other character, but D3, even Bowser can do horrible on this stage. Yes, I've two stocked a Bowser on Brinstar.

Dajayman

Banned via Administration
Eagle, it is pretty easy to dodge DDD's grab. If you space a fair or bair on a shielding DDD, they won't be able to grab you. Also landing behind DDD works too (watch out for utilt). Mix in empty shs, pivot fires, and the occasional PK Jump so it will make you ungrabable. One thing you MUST learn with Ness is don't get grabbed.

Anyways I will talk about DK and Yoshi.

DK has alot going for him. I play ook, midwest's best DK, in tournaments. There are two things I feel need to be added to the list: DK's excellent ground game and his superarmor moves. DK's ground game has excellent range and great power. Do NOT fight DK on the ground. He can cargo-release into a throw or dsmash, do NOT get grabbed. You should focus on getting DK in the air, but his bair has nice range and he can do two in one sh. A spaced fair will beat it. DK has super armor on his upb and fully-charged punch, and a good DK will know how to abuse it so watch out. Also a grounded upb can really eat up a shield and shield stab, plus DK can stop it behind the shield or move away to avoid punishment.

I play the best Yoshi in Chicago very frequently. Yoshi's eggs are one the best projectiles in the game, very underrated. If Yoshi has the distance, expect a barrage of eggs. Ness has no other option but to approach. Yoshi has a grab-release into usmash that will always work unless you land on a platform in which case you can powershield the usmash. So again, don't get grabbed. Watch out for Yoshi's pivot grab when approaching, it has very little lag so it can be spammed. As for the air, Yoshi has nothing against a spaced fair. Yoshi's bair is very similar to our fair, but remember it's not disjointed like ours since he uses his tail. Becareful of Yoshi's uair too, which has been nicknamed The Tail by my friends and I. It is a very great kill move. Because of Yoshi's aerial mobility, he can use aerials without much punishment. Luckily Yoshi doesn't have really good aerials, only good mobility. As for Yoshi's recovery, there isn't much to do against it. Yoshi will recover high like Snake, just throw out pkt for some extra damage. Something interesting to know is that a footstool is deadly on a recovering Yoshi. Yoshi will almost always not be able to recover from a footstool.

_clinton

Smash Master
DK has alot going for him. I play ook, midwest's best DK, in tournaments. There are two things I feel need to be added to the list: DK's excellent ground game and his superarmor moves. DK's ground game has excellent range and great power. Do NOT fight DK on the ground. He can cargo-release into a throw or dsmash, do NOT get grabbed.
PK Fire is also pretty easy for DK to get out of with just a proper 2nd jump...

Also...is there anyway to avoid the Dsmash from DK?

That is the main thing I'd like to look at...

You should focus on getting DK in the air, but his bair has nice range and he can do two in one sh. A spaced fair will beat it. DK has super armor on his upb and fully-charged punch, and a good DK will know how to abuse it so watch out. Also a grounded upb can really eat up a shield and shield stab, plus DK can stop it behind the shield or move away to avoid punishment.
Plus while DK could have landing lag from his Up special...it does have an auto cancel point...so watch out for him being able to move again...

Also do note that DK is a beast on Jungle Japes...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzpeCiK81fY

I play the best Yoshi in Chicago very frequently. Yoshi's eggs are one the best projectiles in the game, very underrated. If Yoshi has the distance, expect a barrage of eggs. Ness has no other option but to approach. Yoshi has a grab-release into usmash that will always work unless you land on a platform in which case you can powershield the usmash.
You can use your 2nd jump to avoid the Usmash IIRC...

Still do note that Usmash is one of Yoshi's better kill moves...so you'd better avoid it if you are at 130 or so...

It is a very great kill move. Because of Yoshi's aerial mobility, he can use aerials without much punishment. Luckily Yoshi doesn't have really good aerials, only good mobility.
Uair is good...it has almost as much power as our Uair...

Also...I disagree on Yoshi having poor aerials...but it doesn't really matter to Ness I guess...

Uffe

Smash Hero
Dajayman. You said that you can footstool Yoshi's recovery. I've got a question now. Can Yoshi use his uair or nair while in this animation or is it impossible for him to do that while recovering with his second jump? And Yoshi has a grab release on Ness? Great. I remember someone trying that on me last time. Of course I don't think they did it correctly. But I hope it is escapable. :/

_clinton

Smash Master
Dajayman. You said that you can footstool Yoshi's recovery. I've got a question now. Can Yoshi use his uair or nair while in this animation or is it impossible for him to do that while recovering with his second jump? And Yoshi has a grab release on Ness? Great. I remember someone trying that on me last time. Of course I don't think they did it correctly. But I hope it is escapable. :/
Yoshi doesn't have a grab release...you can jump away from his Usmash...

Also do note that Yoshi will always jump release (he can't ground release)

Uffe

Smash Hero
Thanks for the tip, Clinton. I was pretty sure Yoshi didn't have some grab release on Ness. At least if he does, I'm not aware of it. But you said he doesn't, so I'm trusting your words. Anyway, do you know if Yoshi can uair while using his second jump or does it shorten his second jump? I tried it in Melee and I know it's not the same, but he was still able to, but he lost the rest of his second jump. Just wondering.

PMKNG

Smash Ace
NNID
GalickGon
I know yoshi can use uair in his second jump, infact its one of his best kill moves that I've seen.
It's easy for yoshi's attacks to combo into that (least from various friendlies I've seen of yoshi players)

also Dk can do that on a few stages, and something similar even on yoshis island and lylat cruise. It'll give him invincibility/super armor frames

Gaussis

Smash Ace
Yoshi's uair is a good move. The hitbox is kinda hard to hit with though IMO. It has great range vertically, but little range horizontally. DJ uair is one way to use it, although I think baiting the opponent lands it much more often. Uffe, it won't shorten his jump, at least not like in Melee (that's because of DJC).

Ness has to be careful of that tongue because it can snag Ness out of the air during the cooldown of his aerials. What is worse is that the grab resets the situation or puts Ness at a disadvantage. Be wary of getting grabbed.

RWB

Smash Ace
I cannot answer any of the serious questions, but I can tell you how Wario can afford all those bikes.

The guy is a millionaire several times over- successful treasure hunting+leading a successful company tend to be lucrative, espescially when you're greedy.

_clinton

Smash Master
Something I came across while I was looking at character boards. If the DK does all of the steps correctly, would it be escapable in any way?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=CA&hl=en&v=wWiQTh63_XU
The fact that I'm always in the air with Ness/Lucas would help somewhat I guess...

It is nice to see that DK has a great footstool combo for one...Ness has some tricks as well...but they aren't as nice as any of Lucas'/DK's from my knowledge...

PMKNG

Smash Ace
NNID
GalickGon
it'd be dependent on frame data, I think there might be a few single digit frames in which we might be able to escape. Idk, i think the video brought up framedata but i watched it a few weeks ago :x

Uffe

Smash Hero
I've seen that video. That stuff is pretty situational. Does anybody know if you can be footstooled while blocking?

FightAdamantEevee

Smash Lord
You can't be footstooled with the shield up. You can be continuosly jumped over until the jumps get smaller and die out, like footstooling, but the footstooling animation won't occur at any of those times.

FightAdamantEevee

Smash Lord
Ivysaur can SideB > Throw > UpB, but that's usually avoided with a shield then spotdodge. I get him offstage and use PK Thunder to rack up the damage, and I usually stay away from him at low percents, due to the fact that he can Spotdodge/Shield > Bullet Seed, which can really rack up damage if you stay in the middle. Also, his bullet seed hits you upward if you're next to him and then starts barraging you with the seeds, which does wonders for Ivy when you're at low %'s. Mistimed onstage dairs can lead to Bullet Seeds or a Usmash that kills at ridiculously low %'s.

Charizard is pretty heavy and somewhat falls for PK Fire spam at low %'s. Also, even though he's slow, he has a nice variety of moves that can stop you, like sourspot Rock Smash leading into a grab/infinite. I see it as an infinite, anyway, since I can't EIDI out of it lol. Here's a tip for his Neutral B: If you're caught in it and escape, please don't use PSI Magnet thinking you'll recover... by then most likely one of two things will happen 1.) The Flamethrower is too small to reach you. 2.) He's already stopped Flaming and is ready to attack, while you're standing there with the Magnet. Instead, just PKT or something that will leave you safe while attacking. I'll be back later to add more to these and add Squirtle.

Magik0722

Smash Champion
I usually lead with charizard with the obvious reason to abuse the CG, charizard grab range is huge, for reference, it is slightly longer than dededes. Therefore you have to space extremely well and even if you do you can still get grabbed so i assume the course of action would be to play a campy game. If i were the ness player i would run around alot to recharge my sheild a common tactic of charizards is to flamethrower to weaken the sheild then rock smash. If you have a full sheild then you wont get shield poked by rocksmash and can grab afterwards. I'm pretty sure that charizard Fair outranges ness's fair and his filt will beat it also. I often find myself punishing sidesteps and rolls alot with the CG so i think maybe you should just go for general dodging with jumps and air dodges (which are relatively safe).

With ivysaur tbh i dont know to much and just use general strategy, i dont really know of anything paticularly useful against ness but general playstyles seem to work. Most often i switch out of ivy simply because charizard and squirtle do alot better

With squirtle you should get to know their ATs so you would be caught off gaurd. The watergun can gimp your recovery and is one of my favorite ways to KO, if you get hit by any of the water gun it is very difficult for nesses to recovery from that, however i cannot just fire it when i see you use the UpB because it takes a small amount of time for the watergun to actually come out and in that time ness has already made the PKT go full circle so the only real way for this to work is for me to predict when you are going to upB. This can be avoided by DIing upwards so the water gun wont even reach or you wont even have to upB, you can also be unpredictable as to when you are going to use PKT to avoid the watergun gimp, just remember about his aerials and attempt to stay out of fair range as to give you enough time to start the recover. Squirtle also has a frame 1 jab so be quick with punishes and do not hesitate, if a squirtle starts to rely on the jab you can mindgame them when there is an opportunity to punish simply keep on shielding and then punish him when he starts to jab again. you should throw out some random jabs if he starts to shell shift around to avoid getting hydrograbbed or hydroplanned.

um thats all i could think of as for now, as i only play a ness player semi commonly

Uffe

Smash Hero
Squirtle
1) His special movement options and all the stuff he can do with them.
I really don't see any special movement, just annoyance. Some like to run left to right which makes him look like that's an actual technique, which it isn't, but somehow fools the other player. I don't really know what you mean when you say special movement.

2) His air game and why ours can wall it but you still have to respect his just because of how fast he is...which brings up another point...how on earth is a turtle that fast?
You have to attack first, obviously. His fair and bair come out quicker, but it's not unstoppable. If you fight Mario or Luigi on a regular basis, this is basically the same thing. And he's not a turtle. He's a little boy in a turtle costum. Reveal his identity.

3) His fun filled BS grab stuff, as well as Water Gun having a use on us.
I hate his grab, but it's pretty avoidable if you're staying in the air and having him follow. As for his Water Gun, I don't find it as effective as Mario's F.L.U.D.D., but apply the same thing you would with Mario when returning.

Ivysaur
1) Ivysaur has a large anti-air game...but Ness' Fair is a defense tool...not offense...but still that is the main reason I can see people on the other board listing Ivysaur as a 7:3 on Ness
You know he's got some anti aerial options, so keep that in mind when you're fighting him. If he tries Bullet Seed, just SDI out of it. It really isn't that hard for Ness since he's not heavy. As for his uair and dair, stay on the sides of Ivysaur when you're going up against him. Those can be pretty lethal. And Ivysaur is 70:30 vs Ness? That's hilarious.

2) Ness can force Ivysaur to play his way IMO...because baseball bats are fun, and learning how to spot dodge is fun, because Ivysaur has some pretty wicked KO moves.
I have to agree on this in a way. Ness could possibly be forced to approach, but he doesn't really have to. Ivysaur's only projectile is Razor Leaf. My only gripe with Ivysaur is his f-smash. I tend to forget how close that reaches.

3) Ivysaur's lovey special moves and why learning how to SDI out of bullet seed will save Ness.
Yeah, like I said before, just SDI out of his Bullet Seed. It is an anti aerial projectile, but nothing that can't be dealt with.

Charizard
1) Rock smash and why baseball is fun and will do a good job at reflecting rock shards, also his other special moves are also able to be countered
I actually never knew the Bat could reflect the shards. However, because of its lethal power, I tend to avoid his Rock Smash at all cost. It's fairly slow, so you can see it. I usually handle Charizard after he does a Rock Smash.

2) Grab release BS, but also why does he have 9/10 of his moves being kill moves as well.
I find this stuff to be pretty lame. CGs, grab releases, it's part of the reason I'm not enjoying this game. There really isn't a thing you can do about it except stay close to the edge, find some platforms. I've only been CG'd once, so it must be pretty avoidable if that's only happen to me once out of the few times I've fought a good PT main. His attacks are strong simply because he's a giant lizard and he's at his last evolution.

3) His Fair being the worse thing to be hit by when you are recovering...speaking of that...he has some pretty neat gimp options...
I think Ness' fair out ranges Charizard's. I could be wrong. I know there's some ember that flies out of his wings, but that has no knock back. As for his gimping methods, his Flamethrower, it's similar to Bowser's. If you're above or at stage level, you're safe from that. If you're below, you're basically in danger. So there's not much you can do if you're below.

Just a quick side note about Ivysaur. His Vinewhip, the one that flings in the air like Olimar's Up B, it can sweet spot. I lost to a PT because of that stupid mistake.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
charizard gets a guaranteed sweetspot dtilt out of a grab and likely usmash as well.

T-block

B2B TST
Uffe, Squirtle has a special pivot that allows him to do some interesting things. While I agree simply pivoting around shouldn't be called an advanced technique or anything, it's still pretty useful for baiting attacks since it's so fast. He can also do sliding smashes/grabs using his pivot. Avoiding the Water Gun shouldn't be too hard, as long as you're aware of it.

I don't agree with Ivysaur having 70:30 over Ness. Ivy can force Ness to approach, but it's not a huge deal. Bullet Seed isn't that big of a threat either, since Ness is light and small, and he doesn't have a whole lot of moves that could be punished by it. I'd put Ivy:Ness as near even.

Uffe

Smash Hero
Uffe, Squirtle has a special pivot that allows him to do some interesting things. While I agree simply pivoting around shouldn't be called an advanced technique or anything, it's still pretty useful for baiting attacks since it's so fast. He can also do sliding smashes/grabs using his pivot. Avoiding the Water Gun shouldn't be too hard, as long as you're aware of it.

I don't agree with Ivysaur having 70:30 over Ness. Ivy can force Ness to approach, but it's not a huge deal. Bullet Seed isn't that big of a threat either, since Ness is light and small, and he doesn't have a whole lot of moves that could be punished by it. I'd put Ivy:Ness as near even.
I wasn't talking about pivots, t-block. I was actually refering to how he can move back and forth with just your analog, which to be honest did surprise me when I did that with Squirtle. Pokemon Trainer is really fun to use! Overall, Squirtle is the most threatning to me since he's much smaller than Ness and his attacks are ridiculously strong. I could probably agree with you about Ivysaur and Ness being even. But enough of that. I'm being hypocritical for making this sound like a match up thread and I've already told a few not to do that.

T-block

B2B TST
I'm not completely sure I understand lol... if you're talking about his horizontal air speed/control, then yeah I agree it's nothing really special. If you're talking about the way he runs along the ground, then I think Squirtle is unique enough in this aspect for it to be mentioned in a thread like this.

Either way, two of the ATs that result from his turnaround should be mentioned. Forward hydroplane and hydrograbs can catch you off-guard a few times if you're not used to them.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
anyway from a ness perspective

you are in a tough spot against charizard. hang around the edge to minimize the chaingrab damage, but you are still putting yourself in perfect edgeguard position from grab release to dtilt. and a random fair has semi spike-like trajectory and knockback. charizard is a good edgeguarder. platforms are nice if you can use them, but charizard controls the space above him very well with (iirc) frame 6 usmash and frame 9 utilt, both of which can KO at low to mid hundreds. so basically just move around a hella lot, i guess...

squirtle straight up outclasses you when it comes to close quarters, so to speak. control the spacing as best you can, it's very difficult to keep squirtle out. he's like wario in that regard, except he's mobile on the ground as well.

ivysaur will likely try to be very patient, ness and ivy can both be played fairly similarly as they have excellent spacing aerials. and both are among the most gimpable in the game. so yeah, just be patient with ivy, aggressiveness can get you punished with a bullet seed pretty quickly.

NoNessNoProblem

Smash Ace
this thread is pretty funny. All you guys talk about the different ways ness can be gimped. In reality good ness's don't get gimped. Ness's usually live around 120% unless its snakes uptilt. ROB and ness is even, Ness ***** pika iono how it is in pikas favor but to each his own.

Uffe

Smash Hero
this thread is pretty funny. All you guys talk about the different ways ness can be gimped. In reality good ness's don't get gimped. Ness's usually live around 120% unless its snakes uptilt. ROB and ness is even, Ness ***** pika iono how it is in pikas favor but to each his own.
You'll have to teach me with detailed words, foo. I can't figure out how to fight a good R.O.B. I only won once against Simna's brother.

_clinton

Smash Master
Good Ness' don't get gimped because they know how to avoid getting gimped...this thread is talking about how to avoid getting gimped...and even though I sort of left the project due to lack of response now...

Top Bottom