• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

dealing with aerial spam

wellybelle

Smash Rookie
Heya folks, long time lurker, first time poster!

I'm struggling to figure out how to deal with characters who tend to just short-hop up around spamming aerials, mainly Yoshi, Falcon, Lucina, and Wolf. I usually try to approach with turnips, dash dancing, or fc dair/nair, but when I try most of these against players who jump around like this none of it works and I end up spending all my time just trying not to get hit.

I've tried going for parries and am getting better but get wrecked if I miss. Toad works sometimes too but if they're any good they usually space their SH so they land behind me and then punish before the Toad animation finishes.

I've even tried doing the same thing with nair/dair/bair/uair since I'm always hearing people say Paisy can wall people out with her aerials but I tend the lose in the air against most of these characters almost all the time. I generally get hit before I'm even close enough for one of my aerials to connect. Obviously I'm doing something wrong here but I can't figure out if it's my timing, my movement, or both.

The only other thing I've tried that works is just avoiding them and throwing turnips or shielding until they make a mistake, which usually works but is ridiculously frustrating since it tends to take forever and it feels way easier for me to misstep than it does for them.

I can still take games against these players but it's super frustrating and I can tell I'm doing something wrong. This is probably the playstyle I have the hardest time dealing with so any help would be greatly appreciated!

Lil Puddin

just a lil extra
NNID
LilPuddin
3DS FC
0087-2867-1837
Switch FC
SW-5392-5621-5717
Ftilt/Utilt are very good at catching people who become predictable with repetitive move usage. You can even intercept with a grounded Uair or hop right into them and Nair a la Zelda style. But for the most part you want to be doing aerial shenanigans with the occasional turnip throw/turnip to block options.

And by walling, they're talking about Bairs while moving forward. Her Bair is incredibly deadly and fast with low landing lag. So you have to master the absurd motions of moving forward all while throwing out a wall of Bairs. This applies to a lot of characters who happen to have speedy Bairs since Bairs tend to hit harder/come out faster/etc than Fairs. Characters with decent range/speed Nairs or Fairs obviously have an easier time than the Floaty Princesses when it comes to the mechanical aspect of walling.

Top Bottom