• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dealing w/ the Falcon Matchup (Questions)

FerWhat

Smash Rookie
I play the Falcon matchup a lot, and recently have been running into the same problems over and over again. If you have any knowledge of the matchup, that would be greatly appreciated.

1) When Falcon DTs at low %, where the hell do you DI? (I've asked many people, and have gotten many different answers)

2) When Falcon DTs at high %, where do you DI?

3) As peach, when you're grounded and Falcon jumps, what do you do? For me, nearly 90% of the times I get hit by falcon is because of an aerial in this situation. I can run and roll away (with success), but then I'm playing on my back foot the entire match and my opponent has the momentum. How do you deal with falcon above you when peach is grounded or ground level floating?

4) When falcon approaches with short hop nair, and peach throws a turnip, the turnip never seems to hit Falcon. Does anyone have advice about how to make the turnip hit?

5) how do you deal with / counter attack Falcon's short hop nair approach in general?

6) How do you / is it possible to FC nair shield and NOT get shield grabbed?

7) I have had success using jab-jab to interrupt Falcon's dash in approach. Any advice on the best follow up after jab-jab hits?

8) How do you not get hit (especially on FD) when Falcon respawns?

Thanks guys.

Last edited:

Sycorax

Smash Ace
  1. idk, down and away is pretty good just above the regrab percents. You could DI in and just try to DI+SDI his followup nair/uair.
  2. Down and away, and jump airdodge out
  3. Peach plays really passively. Sit around, DD, dash forward WD back to make it hard to hit you precisely. You can shield or CC his hits very effectively if he uses his aerials with forward momentum. Powershield dsmash works well against Falcon's fair, dair, uair, and poorly spaced nair. Once he's scared to move forward with his aerials, the matchup becomes more fun.
  4. Throw it at him when he doesn't have a hitbox out.
  5. If he's moving forward with the nair, you can CC it into grab or dsmash. You can shield grab it. You can powershield dsmash. If he's doing the well spaced ones with little, no, or backwards drift, those are harder to punish. You can fsmash those if you're feeling janky. You can dash attack them before they start or as he is landing. You can always try to trade your nair with his nair regardless of his drift, especially if you nair will knock him down. I may have missed something. Watch and study Armada or MacD vs Falcon.
  6. I don't know what you're talking about?
  7. Good players will jump away after getting jabbed. But you can try jab dash grab or jab dsmash. After double jab, you don't really get anything.
  8. Lmao, pray. Study Armada videos.

zabimaru1000

Smash Journeyman
1) Down + away DI should avoid regrabs

2) Above post for #2 is probably the only way to avoid down throw knee at high percents, but a competent Falcon will have enough discipline to knee or up air you no matter where you go. Falcon could still read the air dodge. However if Falcon is going for the down throw knee with zero hesitation, the air dodge should work.

3) When Falcon jumps he can waveland on a platform or opt for aerial of his choice usually going for nair to stuff turnips and high/mid floats. Each has its uses for beating Peach. You have to make an effort to force Falcon to misspace his aerials in order for you to properly punish them. How you do it is a different story, you can wavedash back, CC, dash dance, angle your shield, etc. You can CC nair/up air. I think knee is also doable at very low percents. Stomp can't be CC'd.

4) Unfortunately his aerials beats turnips. Use turnips to beat his dash dance or grab (although there are other ways to punish grab too). Please use turnips to edgeguard, turnips also beat his recovery. Learn to aim your turnips at the apex of Falcon's recovery and where he will end up if he uses down B.

5) CC this at low percent. Your float approaches will lose to this move unless you manage to land on the ground and put up your shield or CC in time. Badly spaced nairs can be shield grabbed. Whiff punishing this move is kind of difficult for me because I dash attack like a moron and get shield grabbed. lol A short hop nair can be followed up by a jab to beat your grab/dash in, shield to beat your badly spaced aerials/dash attack, jump to avoid your grounded moves/low FC aerials, or dash dance which what most Falcon's do when I play them. IIRC dash attack beats jab and spaced FC aerials beats shield. Peach is too slow to punish Falcon's landings when he jumps away so pull turnips.

6) It is if you space it right. What I assume you're doing is you FC nair Falcon with most of her body inside his shield. And you're either not landing or landing too late. If this is true, then FC nair will get shield grabbed. What you should be doing is have her hands hit his shield at a low/mid float height and then land on the ground. The point of float cancel is to only suffer 4 frames of lag after your aerials when you land. This is why well spaced FC aerials are so good on shield.

7) My experience with jabbing Falcon's dash in is that they are good enough to shield my down smash, or jump from my grab and stomp. Jab/double jab at certain percents will knock down Falcon and you can opt for tech chase.

8) When Falcon respawns, his objective is to take full advantage of his invincible frames to hit you and put you in a bad position. As he should because his combos devastate Peach. You have to stall out the invincible frames and force Falcon back to neutral. My problem in this is that I float, and in this case Falcon can simply use up air and hit me. Dash dancing with his i-frames active will usually result in a grab. Although this can be prevented if you read it and either jump, mid float, roll, or spot dodge. If he approaches with aerials, then it's back to the situation of forcing him to space bad except you have to be wary of his invincible frames.

Rob_Gambino

Smash Lord
1) DI down and away

2) Di down and away

3) When falcon jumps, that's typically a good thing. You can float cancel nair, dash attack, or grab his landing are probably the most common options.

4) Falcons too fast to be pulling turnips on stage for the most part. I would be trying to nair him anytime he approaches.

5) Nair it, you have way better priority.

6) Low fc nairs and jump nair immediately again. If his shield is low, you can d-smash after the nair as well. Generally don't hit shields on purpose.

7) Jab jab grab or dash attack is good. Honestly you'll get more out of nairing or dash attacking falcon first rather than jabbing him.

8) Good luck. If they're bad at covering ledge options, you could probably go to ledge. Peach doesn't have the best ledge options. Otherwise, mix up things and try to be as close to center when you think you'll get hit to improve your chance of survivability.

zabimaru1000

Smash Journeyman
Correct me if I'm wrong, but every time I try to beat Falcon's nair with my own nair, I lose and get hit and eat a down throw combo I can't react to. This is the situation where Falcon's nair is already out and screws me over if I'm floating (which is bad to do in nair/up air range).

The only time my nair beats his is if I'm catching him starting up his nair, then my nair beats his.

Usually my answer to nair is CC which is easily exploited by Falcon's dash dancing and opting for stomp, nair, or grab mixup. Two of which beat CC.

Top Bottom