• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dead, are we?

Solasel

Smash Rookie
Hey, I've decided to pick up Olimar. I've been playing brawl against only friends (Half of them could beat a level 3 CPU) and against level 9 CPU's. I know this isn't ideal, and it means that I'm used to battling rather static (actually, completely static) playstyles, and I haven't been getting any better. My brother recently ascended to some level of skill...
Because he started playing as MK...
So I've been reading through all these forums, and have been practicing all the AT's that I've seen, and I want some chances to apply them, and to talk to you guys to get better, because I'm pretty sure I suck Smash Balls at this point...
But I've noticed that the latest post was May 31st... It's been almost 13 days now guys... what happened? It's summertime too...
I just need to know if anyone is still alive up in here, because if you are, I'm willing to become part of this tight-knit community that is the Olimar Mains.
By the way, your work is amazing, all of you. Especially Vocal with the video repository, and Hilt with all the research he does.
So, any of you still chucking pikmin and JC Usmash OoS-ing?

Sky Pirate

The best defense is a lot of frigging healing
NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
It's pretty dead. I'm not really sure how many other people still check in here, but I'd wager that it's a very low number.
I myself haven't been to a tournament in quite a long time, and the scene in my town died.

But yeah, Vocal's video repository is BEAUTIFUL and Hilt was essentially doing everything by himself for a long time.
The Olimars (and the non-Olimars that frequented here) are a good bunch of people, and it's really sad that this place is so dead now.

Solasel

Smash Rookie
That's sad to hear... My best guess is that it's been nearly five years since Olimar and all his weird ways graced us with his presence. With the new release of SSB4 about to come up (On a side note, Wii Fit Trainer? FML), people are starting to either get bored/stop seeing the point of playing brawl. Also, Brawl is rather casual, not requiring much technical skill, so people are looking forward to the (Hopefully) more professional oriented SSB4 which will (if Sakurai blesses us) have Olimar in it. Another thing is that Olimar has been pretty static in terms of metagame development, in terms of the fact that he doesn't have many AT's to discover that give him huge legs up (aside from things like WAC, Whistle bouncing, and JC Usmash OoS (Although if we could figure out how to desync pikmin that would be amazing)), so maybe people are just getting bored with not discovering anything new, and so going back to chucking pikmin until enemies approach, then infini range grab/punish.
Also, family life is probably a huge factor. And Brawl vs. Family Life, Family Life wins, and it should. Don't get stuck being on this forum instead of going out with your lover.
In any case, it's sad that all of you derps (I'm looking at you Fino) aren't as active in the brawl scene. I'm still learning a lot from all of your past forum posts, so hopefully when (if) I become awesome (never), you guys will be a bit more active.

Sky Pirate

The best defense is a lot of frigging healing
NNID
SkyPirateCoud
3DS FC
1590-4884-8497
Olimar's metagame has developed quite a bit since release. We gained different mindsets, found different techniques, discovered new ways to deal with our flaws, etc.
He's very complex and interesting, and his metagame development was probably more dynamic that most other characters. He can be played effectively so many ways.
I don't know about the metagame slowing down. Nietono's playstyle was showcased against U.S. players (when he destroyed everyone), but that didn't really cause a gigantic spark of activity.
But yeah, like you said, Brawl's been out for a long time. Board is old and dusty. Lotta people going elsewhere to do other things.

Oh, and do you mean rocketing when you say desyncing? If so, you rocket when the following conditions are met:
- The opponent hits your pikmin when it's in the charging phase (before a hitbox is created)
- The pikmin doesn't die
- The opponent doesn't hit you with the attack before the move gets out

Roy Renard

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
5000-2716-4113
I lurk this place a lot, especially the Q&A thread. It would be pretty nice to get the community return from the dead, but well. At least someone said something about that at last. I thought I was the only one to think what you said.

DtJ Hilt

Little Lizard
Our matchup threads are pretty much extinct, sadly. We stopped at them a long while back and most everything in them would be well outdated by now. If you're looking for specific questions on advanced knowledge, advance techniques, or specific matchup advice, feel free to post a question in the Q&A thread! We'll be happy to help however we can, man.

Top Bottom