• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

DC Comics vs. Shonen Jump Game Concept

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Spurred on by a comment in the general social thread, I thought it would be cool if these two comic giants met in a fighting game. So I picked out a roster. Keep in mind, I am a DC fan, but I don't know everything about Jump, and there is only so much you can learn by just reading ABOUT a series. Which is why I want some feedback. But if you are going to give me feedback, there are a couple rules I followed that I would like you to keep in mind.
  1. There is a total of 66 characters past DLC. That total is a hard total and I don't want to go higher o lower.
  2. I want the number of heroes and number of villains on both sides to be equal. Neither side should have more of one category than the other has from the same category.
  3. I want there to be plenty of women on the roster.
Here's the Chart I made for the roster

DC Comics|Shonen Jump
Superman|Son Goku
Batman|Piccolo
Wonder Woman|Vegeta
The Flash|Naruto Uzumaki
Green Lantern|Sasuke Uchiha
Aquaman|Sakura Haruno
Martian Manhunter|Gaara
Green Arrow|Ichigo Kurosaki
Black Canary|Rukia Kuchiki
The Atom|Monkey D. Luffy
Hawkgirl|Roronoa Zoro
Shazam|Deku
Firestorm|Kacchan
Cyborg|Gon Freecss
Starfire|Jotaro Kujo
John Constantin|Pegasus Seiya
Lex Luthor|Cell
Doomsday|Frieza
The Joker|Majin Buu
Harley Quinn|Broly
Catwoman|Zamasu (Fused)
Cheetah|Kaguya Ōtsutsuki
Captain Cold|Sōsuke Aizen
Gorilla Grodd|Blackbeard
Sinestro|Tomura Shigaraki
Black Manta|Hisoka Morrow
Darkseid|Dio Brando

DLC
DC Comics|Shonen Jump
Nightwing|Gohan
Supergirl|Boruto Uzumaki
Dr. Fate|All Might
Etrigan the Demon|Kenshiro
Lobo|Yugi Motou
Bane|Light Yagami w/Ryuk

As for gameplay, I imagine it being some sort of hybrid between Injustice and DragonBall FighterZ. Where you have the tag based combat of FighterZ, but instead of button 4 being an energy attack, it's the Character Trait mechanic from Injustice. Probably also bringing in Injustice's stage transition mechanics. I'm also more inclined towards the Marvel vs. Capcom Infinite style of tagging rather than FighterZs. It's just easier to understand IMO. Only here you would have two partners rather than one partner and an Infinity Stone.

I'd also appreciate ideas for Stages. That's a really hard thing to pick unless you know the series well.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Gaara or Zamasu probably
I think I'll swap out Gaara then. He was kind of just there for the gameplay.
Nah no need too. I was just stating my opinion was all.

Regardless this would be a Day 1 grab for me. That's for certain! :grin:
Awww. Shucks :blush: That's nice of you to say. You have any feedback on how to improve what I've put down?

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Yeah, I like Gaara too (well, at least initially), but Yu Yu Hakusho is a necessity for Shonen Jump related endeavors. :yoshi:
That's good to know.

One of the things I would want this game to have would be some big unplayable boss character like the Marvel vs. Capcom games. Someone who takes up the whole screen. Probably an original character.

I also think that, whatever plot this game has, the climax needs to be a Goku vs. Superman fight.

Last edited:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I don't care if I'm double posting. It's my forum and if I don't nobody will see this and I want to keep the discussion going.

Is there some sort of commonality to Shonen Jump villains? Some overarching theme or trope? I could defiantly pick out a few DC villain tropes, and it would be interesting if the main antagonist was some sort of hybrid of the two series villain tropes.

Last edited:

AlRex

Smash Lord
I like this concept and the DC side (although, like Marvel VS CAPCOM pre-Infinite, I wouldn't mind seeing an oddball or two thrown in there), but I kind of feel like the SJ side somewhat lacks variety, a bit like the Jump Force roster. I might suggest looking at the J Stars roster, or even the previous Jump games for DS. You have MHA covered, but, if I'm not mistaken, One Punch Man is also owned/published by Jump, and that's another high-profile series that takes some American superhero influence. The main villain concepts you have in mind sounds pretty good.

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
I like this concept and the DC side (although, like Marvel VS CAPCOM pre-Infinite, I wouldn't mind seeing an oddball or two thrown in there), but I kind of feel like the SJ side somewhat lacks variety, a bit like the Jump Force roster. I might suggest looking at the J Stars roster, or even the previous Jump games for DS. You have MHA covered, but, if I'm not mistaken, One Punch Man is also owned/published by Jump, and that's another high-profile series that takes some American superhero influence. The main villain concepts you have in mind sounds pretty good.
One Punch Man is published by Jump, but is owned by its creator. Might be worth looking in to.

I was thinking of swapping in Alita from Battle Angel Alita thanks to the movie. It’s run in Buisiness Jump, Which is a spin-off from weekly Shonen Jump.

I understand what you mean about variety and oddballs, But I really wanted the essentials to be there. I didn’t want anyone looking at the finished roster and say “I can’t believe you left X out! They’re ESSENTIAL”. I will say that I may have to many DragonBall villains, but I need the villain count to match DC’s villain count.

So what are the common traits of Jump villains so I can create the original main antagonist.

Last edited:

AlRex

Smash Lord
Looking at some of the villains already, I can kind of imagine a flamboyant, glowing, oddly-colored super-muscly dude with long flowing hair...not that every villain in there fits this, but some of these aspects are amongst them. Combine this with what you've seen in the DC side of villains and there might be something. Maybe he'd be a reality warper looking to play a game/give a challenge to these various characters, somewhat similar to villains like Mr. Mxyzptlk in DC, or the Beyonder in Marvel.

You mentioned stages earlier. As far as Jump, I can think of...
-Planet Namek (Dragon Ball)
-Kame House (Dragon Ball)
-Hidden Leaf Village (Naruto)
-Hueco Mundo (Bleach)
-The Going Merry (One Piece)
-Koenma’s Palace (Yu Yu Hakusho)
-Battle in Egypt (JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure)
-Colosseum (Saint Seiya)

Someone already mentioned a MHA stage, so there's that...

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Looking at some of the villains already, I can kind of imagine a flamboyant, glowing, oddly-colored super-muscly dude with long flowing hair...not that every villain in there fits this, but some of these aspects are amongst them. Combine this with what you've seen in the DC side of villains and there might be something. Maybe he'd be a reality warper looking to play a game/give a challenge to these various characters, somewhat similar to villains like Mr. Mxyzptlk in DC, or the Beyonder in Marvel.

You mentioned stages earlier. As far as Jump, I can think of...
-Planet Namek (Dragon Ball)
-Kame House (Dragon Ball)
-Hidden Leaf Village (Naruto)
-Hueco Mundo (Bleach)
-The Going Merry (One Piece)
-Koenma’s Palace (Yu Yu Hakusho)
-Battle in Egypt (JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure)
-Colosseum (Saint Seiya)

Someone already mentioned a MHA stage, so there's that...
Thanks for the input. I really like the idea of this flamboyant reality warping/trickster character forcing the characters to fight each other. And thanks for the stage ideas.

How about we add Saitama to the DLC and an American creator owned character like Spawn or Hellboy on the DC side. Maybe a Wildstorm character.

Last edited:

AlRex

Smash Lord
Wildstorm actually sounds about right, given the explanation on how OPM and Jump's relationship work, and the WS characters not originally being DC, but their own universe, and partially involved with another company (Image). I wouldn't mind seeing Spartan/Maul/Zealot/Grifter/IDK (WildCATS has a lot of people that'd probably work about as well as each other), Midnighter, Jenny Sparks/Quantum, or Caitlin Fairchild in a fighter.

Last edited:

SnakeFighter64

Smash Obsessed
Wildstorm actually sounds about right, given the explanation on how OPM and Jump's relationship work, and the WS characters not originally being DC, but their own universe, and partially involved with another company (Image). I wouldn't mind seeing Spartan/Maul, Midnighter, or Fairchild in a fighter.
I’ve been saying they should put Spartan in Injustice for a while now. He’s on my wishlist for 3.

So, the roster now stands at
DC Comics|Shonen Jump
Superman|Son Goku
Batman|Piccolo
Wonder Woman|Vegeta
The Flash|Naruto Uzumaki
Green Lantern|Sasuke Uchiha
Aquaman|Sakura Haruno
Martian Manhunter|Ichigo Kurosaki
Green Arrow|Rukia Kuchiki
Black Canary|Monkey D. Luffy
The Atom|Roronoa Zoro