• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Day Z: persistent world zombie survival

Lovage

Smash Hero
if you aren't playing this game yet, you will be soon

give me your steam id's!!

steam ID's
feel free to message anybody you see in-game, and find a server together!

LOVAGE LIFE LESSONS:
-after pvp, loot quickly! other players heard the gunshots
-if you have good gear, don't trust anyone

`````````````````
what's day z:

day z is a persistent world, zombie survival game with unrestricted PVP and permadeath. it's one of the most fun and original games i've played in years. as a single player experience, it blows all other survival/zombie/horror games out of the water, and it has one of the most amazing multiplayer components of any game i've played.

youtube clips

**video guide for beginners! 16min
LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL, 2mins
my best and worst day in day z 9m 30s
epic bait and gank,12mins
airstrip squad PVP, awesome gameplay, 10 mins
tutorial + interview w/ developer, 50 mins

how to play:

day z is a mod for military simulator game ArmA II: operation arrowhead.

you need both arma 2 and the expansion to play day z, steam offers them together for 30 dollars US. the package is called Arma II: Combined Operations. you also will need the necessary day z mod files, as well as the most recent ArmA 2 beta patch (more info in the guides)

you can pick up ArmA II: CO on steam here:
http://store.steampowered.com/agecheck/sub/4638
http://dayzmod.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=2085 Install guide
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7wthVoxs8M Install guide (video)

links

official site http://dayzmod.com/forum/
world map (IMPORTANT) http://dayzmap.info/
reddit http://www.reddit.com/r/dayz/
install guide http://dayzmod.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=2085

system reqs:

this game (arma 2) is no where close to optimized, it is a total GPU hog and will test your system fairly hard. i have a 4 year old system, and i can run it well with high fps and very low settings. don't assume your PC can run this game just because you can run diablo or league, make sure you can run it before you drop 30 bux!

SCAVENGE, SLAY, SURVIVE

D

Deleted member

I plan on picking up ARMA II: Combined Operations during the Steam Summer Sale. I've heard good things about this mod.

Kal

Smash Champion
I've heard very good things about this. I will pick up the game some time. Thanks Lovage.

And unrestricted PvP just sounds amazing.

Lovage

Smash Hero
had a very rough day without even PVPing

i'm at 700 blood right now (max is 12k), falling unconscious about every minute, if anyone were to see me in this field i am 100% toast.

johnny is running to me with a blood transfusion I WILL LIVE ANOTHER DAY

Fragger

Smash Journeyman
Ive seen a few videos/streams of this and Im going to pick it up soon. It just looks awesome to do it with friends.

Lovage

Smash Hero
NO MORE MISTER NICE GUY

just found an AK and some supplies in chero, see some noob walking around with a pistol and crowbar, i get him in my crosshair twice but decide to let him live (i try not to gank people unless they have **** i want)

we run into each other as he's leaving an apartment, we both stare at each other and even tho i have the gun advantage, i back off and let him go on his way.

i step into the apartment he just left, trying to loot any scraps he didn't need, and as soon as i walk up the stairs there he is with a pistol and my *** got lit up ROFLLLL

moral: if someone has a customized player face (aka they didn't just install this game) you better kill their *** when you have the chance LOL
alt. moral: if you have an AK-47 on your back, you are gonna have to fight to defend it

Kal

Smash Champion
Haha, I've experienced similar things in WoW and DCU Online. You leave players alone because they look like newbies, and then they turn around and gank you.

Moral: if it moves, kill it.

Lovage

Smash Hero
yeah theres a decent learning curve.

i started playing when you spawned with a pistol + 6 clips + water + morphene etc lol, and i still died like 15 times my first 2 days of playing.

things to focus on to stop dying and get loot faster:

- only loot where you can: don't go into big cities with no weapon, always loot the outskirts/nearby areas for a pistol or at the least a hatchet before you start looting a city.

-ear > eye. visual detection is easy to avoid by obeying the zombie's 60 degree field of vision limitations, but it's really easy to be detected by sound especially when looting. the general tipping points for detection are 3 for sound and 4 for vision, if you reach either of those points, you will aggro many many zombies. indoors/in populated areas the threshold is 2, so crouch + walking is a must to avoid getting heard. also remember what u stand on matters, so if you're on soft grass you can crouch run across a field and only have 1 ear level.

once u get the hang it's not so tough to get rolling. most of my fresh dudes cam find a pistol + rifle + med supplies and ammo within 45 mins - 1 hr. of playing, sometimes without even having to even kill a zombo. tip: always respawn until you get cherno/elektro/balota or surrounding places!

D

Deleted member

make sure u log out in a very hidden place i logged on today and got instantly machine gunned down losing 5~ hours of hard work

respawned and as i ran from zombies a guy headshotted me with a winchester

mitch2302

Smash Journeyman
hatcheted some ******* sniping people in Elektro. most gratifying moment of my DayZ career thus far.

what server do you guys play on?

Lovage

Smash Hero
usually one of the LA's, or one of the seattle's

whichever has good ping + size at the time, anyime you see me playing arma hit me up and we can cruise

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
This mod is ****ing fun

Usually making runs between elektro and balota until my friends come on, my ign is whoa you go big guy

I'm usually on LA 4

Also, the dayz wiki has a map with all loot areas, the three farms at prig (next to cherno) almost always have a gun there, so i tend to run there first

:phone:

D

Deleted member

S2J's NOOB CHRONICLES

I feel that this topic is SUITABLE for posting your STORIES unlike LEAGUE OF LEGENDS

95% of people that play this game are straight *******s that may try to befriend you if they lack a gun then attempt to **** you later once they find equipment

As I am running to the place jtB mentioned I found a guy who just spawned. Not wanting to be a **** and kill this guy and only having 4 revolver shots left I ignore him and he follows me as I go to get a 'free' weapon from the barn place.

I thought he was a scrub because he kept aggroing zombies where I chop them down with my hatchet as they chase him

At the barn area he aggros more zombies and choses to go to one barn where I go to another

I find a double shotgun THEN SUDDENLY THE SAME GUY WHO I THOUGHT WAS A N00B SUDDENLY CHARGES THE **** OUT OF ME WITH A HATCHET FROM BEHIND AND starts hacking the **** out of me, breaks my leg, and makes me start bleeding

I panic and unload my 4 bullets into him, killing him but I have a broken bone with no morphine 300 blood left when I go to bandage and I barely die

Never trust strangers in this game. If they compete for loot kill them because they will simply kill you if they get it first

Lovage

Smash Hero
yea i try to trust people, and every time it's a huge mistake

just lost my last guy who had a m102 shotgun and an m1911 yesterday, because i logged in as someone was climbing up the ladder to the balota air tower as i was on top of it. he sees me and starts begging for his life in direct chat, i let him live, and he follows me as we loot the rest of the airfield.

the guy is on his mic the whole time, and he's playing it really well. "i'll cover u while u check that hanger esoh herpdreperpdperperp1!!!!!!!"

then the second i'm looting some shotgun bullets he lights my *** up with his mp5 and goes on his way LOL

even tho i died cuz some guy was an assshole, it's still 10000% my fault for not killing him when i had the chance t_t

Master Xanthan

Smash Champion
I heard this mod is pretty good. My friend told me to never team up with randoms as they will kill you when they get the chance and steal all of your stuff.

Player-3

Smash Hero
i really want to play this but i don't own arma 2; but when it goes on sale i'm in

Lovage

Smash Hero
LLoPOOOOOOOOOOOL8hj

life lesssson:

always keep a full clip in your m1911 pistol cuz that **** doesnt not kill players as fast as it does zombies LOL

just ambushed a guy, didnt kill him in my first 4 shots, he 1 shots me with an enfield

mitch2302

Smash Journeyman
ughhh... was looting balota and right when i get to the top of the tower, a car pulls into the airstrip. looking out the window, i see 4 bandits get out and im just like "damn, damn, damn... gonna die". so i find a m14 in the tower and right when the first bandit walks through the door, i blast him with a few shots, run out the door, circle around and shoot the next two in the hangar. Looking everywhere for the last guy, i dont realize that he's still in the car, and proceeds to smack me with a shotgun blast. i one-shot him with my m14, but by then im bleeding like crazy and in shock. i end up not even being able to loot the bodies, cause there are like 50 zombies around me at this point, and while i'm running, i pass out and get eaten by a horde of zeds. dammit.

Lovage

Smash Hero
damn sounds intense

i JUST died after running for to the NW airfield for the first time (most pvp, best loot)

capped one guy while he was looting in the firehouse, and as i run up the stairs to loot him, i see another player watching the windows and i open up on her, i'm really curious as to what gun she had because she lit me the **** up pretty much 1 shot me

Fayte Isaac

Smash Apprentice
i need to get this game, and we all need to get on a server and go "hunting"

mitch2302

Smash Journeyman
I think im okay, while i crawled i came across a cow. It is now in my stomach.

Might start to head inland, we should all meet up somewhere
:phone:

Lovage

Smash Hero
i'm not tryna head inland again until i find a vehicle or a sick sniper rifle.

i like to stay on the coast, i'm just PVPing/GANKING in elektro right now with an mp5, lotta fun

Lovage

Smash Hero
intense 40 mins of playing jesus

- lose all my items except my backpack with the new patch
- basically the first server i join, in the firehouse i'm in there is an AK47, a PDW uzi, and a m16 (wit no ammo) thats called oscar luck

- die shortly after because i ran from zombies at 2k blood and fell unconscious
- spawned close to elektro, ran to my body, looted it, start running into the city

- see two decently armed dudes at the hospital. i wait for a great time and open up on them with my AK. i kill one bu the second sprints inside the hospital. i tried to be john mclane and walked towards him. i shot at him as he ran at me, but then he steadied himself and headshot the **** outta me with a g17 or some strong *** pistol.

- i got owned LOL but it was super fun

edit: btw im alive again, in elektro, capped some dude on the hospital roof because i heard him cracking open a soda hahaha, got his m16 and tools, if anyone wants my old AKM w/ ammo, i still have it :)

Player-3

Smash Hero
yo someone add me on steam and help me figure out how to play n ****

steam id is wampuh

JTB

Live for the applause
Premium
intrigued in new updates, gonna be on tomorrow

D

Deleted member

my game now runs at a consistent SIXTEEN fps rather than being sixteen --> 8 fps after 20 minutes

Jem.

Smash Master
wow no wonder you play league. Do you not even max out league settings? LOL

build a computer broski, costs like 600 to play most games on highest settings, 900 if you're a streamer/want extra goodies

D

Deleted member

ARMA II: Combined Operations is currently on sale on Steam for $23.99 USD.

Hold your wallets, though, it'll probably get a deeper discount later in the Summer Sale.

Top Bottom