• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Day, Night, and Dusk - Lycanroc for Smash Bros. Ultimate

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
Well then. Conversation kinda died out for several days there, and here we are less than 12 hours away from The Game Awards. We don't know for sure whether Fighter #5 will be revealed there or if it'll be put on the backburner for a few weeks longer, but it's definitely worth keeping an eye on.

As for where things stand...Vergeben posted once more in the time since Sunday night, further clarifying his second post and also seemingly deconfirming several more third party characters. If his and Sabi's sources (who are not the same person, apparently) are to both be believed, none of the following are Fighter #5:

• Doomguy / Doom Slayer
  • Geno
  • Scorpion
  • Ryu Hayabusa
  • Arle Nadja
  • Sakura from Sakura Wars
  • Crash Bandicoot
  • Tracer
  • Reimu Hakurei
  • Sora
  • Sol Badguy
  • Ragna
  • The Double Dragon protagonists
  • Dante
  • Phoenix Wright
  • Amaterasu
  • Monster Hunter
  • Sam Bridges
  • Geralt (who is likely ineligible anyway, since The Witcher started out as a book series)
  • Monokuma
  • Anyone from Sony
  • Anyone from Bandai-Namco
  • Anyone from Level-5
  • Anyone from Ubisoft
  • Anyone from Falcom
  • Anyone from Nippon Ichi
In addition, Sabi's source believes the character is from one of the companies Verge walked back on between his first and second posts. If you remember, Nintendo itself was among them, so that bodes well for first party characters in general.

Meanwhile, someone who has had insider info a few times in the past tweeted something interesting the other day:

Now, we have no idea if he actually knows anything this time. But I have to think that if he did know who Fighter #5 was and it was a big name showstopper, he wouldn't have posted that. Which leaves two other possibilities to be more likely:

1. Jon doesn't know who Fighter #5 is.
2. Jon does know, and it's someone lower key or less commonly discussed.

We've no way of knowing for sure, but it's something of note, at least. Just don't bug Jon about it; apparently he's had it up to here with people asking him whether he has insider info or not.

Wherever things stand, it's going to be a tense 9 hours until the ceremony starts. Thoughts, everyone?

Last edited:

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Well then. Conversation kinda died out for several days there, and here we are less than 12 hours away from The Game Awards. We don't know for sure whether Fighter #5 will be revealed there or if it'll be put on the backburner for a few weeks longer, but it's definitely worth keeping an eye on.

As for where things stand...Vergeben posted once more in the time since Sunday night, further clarifying his second post and also seemingly deconfirming several more third party characters. If his and Sabi's sources (who are not the same person, apparently) are to both be believed, none of the following are Fighter #5:

In addition, Sabi's source believes the character is from one of the companies Verge walked back on between his first and second posts. If you remember, Nintendo itself was among them, so that bodes well for first party characters in general.

Meanwhile, someone who has had insider info a few times in the past tweeted something interesting the other day:

Now, we have no idea if he actually knows anything this time. But I have to think that if he did know who Fighter #5 was and it was a big name showstopper, he wouldn't have posted that. Which leaves two other possibilities to be more likely:

1. Jon doesn't know who Fighter #5 is.
2. Jon does know, and it's someone lower key or less commonly discussed.

We've no way of knowing for sure, but it's something of note, at least. Just don't bug Jon about it; apparently he's had it up to here with people asking him whether he has insider info or not.

Wherever things stand, it's going to be a tense 9 hours until the ceremony starts. Thoughts, everyone?

Aside from hoping for the scenario we want, it’d be interesting to watch TGA just for all the reactions and build up.

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
Welp, Nintendo had basically no presense aside from another Bravely game & another trailer for No More Heroes 3.
Even though I wasn't expecting anything major, it was quite a boring show overall.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Welp, Nintendo had basically no presense aside from another Bravely game & another trailer for No More Heroes 3.
Even though I wasn't expecting anything major, it was quite a boring show overall.
Smash at least won best fighting game, but yeah, too much Magic the Gathering and cringy Stadia ads and so on.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Overall kind of dull show, a shame since it seemed that there seemed to be a decent amount of interesting stuff... but they paced it horrible by having a very poorly looking Fast and Furious game at the end (which I’m pretty sure was at the end because they probably paid a lot of money for a well known movie IP).

Regardless, the chances that FP5 is a lower key first party character keeps getting likelier as now they would most likely be revealed either in a Smash specific or a Nintendo direct where appealing to a larger crowd wouldn’t be necessary.

It seems that we’re getting bits of light at the end of our tunnel.

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
Well...a lack of any reveal was always possible, even if most of the community scoffed at the idea.

I know, I know. This was the only version available that wasn't inexplicably slowed down.

Overall, I think we benefited a little, or what little we still have to benefit. One of the predominant ideas was that they'd need a showstopper reveal for The Game Awards, but with that past us now, we're probably looking at Fighter #5 being revealed in a Nintendo Direct in the first half of January or so. Nintendo can reveal pretty much whoever they want during their own presentation and it'd still fit, and between that and the mass deconfirmations over the past week, it tips things further toward #5 being a first party character...or at least someone who hasn't been discussed much.

So, we'll see how this plays out.

The show itself was...pretty meh this year. There were a few interesting world premiers (shout out to Bravely Default II), but the pacing was off and ending the reveals on a licensed game just felt awkward. And Ultimate walked away with the award for Best Fighting Game as expected, while Luigi's Mansion 3 also picked up an award of its own and Three Houses got two.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
we're probably looking at Fighter #5 being revealed in a Nintendo Direct in the first half of January or so
Actually, next week is the week when the final Smash 4 Direct was aired. If nothing happens then, then yeah, it'll be in January.
but they paced it horrible by having a very poorly looking Fast and Furious game at the end
I wonder if Jon's "That's it? No Dash?" was meant to be a hint at TGA's reveals ending with a racing game and no Smash reveal.

Last edited:

Zachruff

Smash Rookie
Hi, could you point me to whoever made the stock icon for Dusk Lycanroc? Was wondering if I could commission them to make ones for Rockruff and the other two Lycanroc forms aswell. Thanks

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
https://www-aaaba-lp1-hac.cdn.nintendo.net/en-US/735afaeb/index.html
Look at one of the contest winners. Man, if only our Alola rep was someone more appropriate for someone who calls himself The Legendary Wolf...
I actually won one of these contests when they did something similar with trophies during Wii U/3DS.

This was my submission.

The text that went with it was, "Are you sure you have the right tome? This spell is starting to seem like a recipe for stew."

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
So I think it's been a while since I've asked this: Which locations from Alola would you want to/had wanted to see become stages? Complete with ideas for how they'd work, if you've thought of details. I have a few (including one big one), but I'm interested to see what you guys have come up with on your own.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
So I think it's been a while since I've asked this: Which locations from Alola would you want to/had wanted to see become stages? Complete with ideas for how they'd work, if you've thought of details. I have a few (including one big one), but I'm interested to see what you guys have come up with on your own.
Aether Paradise. It's a touring stage that keeps up its innocent facade for about a minute until Nihilego pops out of an Ultra Wormhole, acting like the stage boss.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
For me that would be the Altar in the rocky canyon in Alola.

02DC2432-0123-4A67-9504-C612BC6DB7E0.png

The stage would take place on the grassy cliff sides that surround the Altar of the Sunne. The layout would be composed of one long platform and a smaller more elevated platform beside the long platform to the right. The stage starts during the day, 30 seconds into the match as the sun begins to set a flat circular platform with an ancient spiral pattern starts forming which the slowly takes the players to the back side of the Altar for about 15 seconds where the Altar of the Sunne becomes the Altar of the Moone. The layout of the stage changes instead having three medium sized platform, one on the left, the other on the right that is slightly tilted about 15-20 degrees, and one around the middle that is more elevated more closer to the right that is titled at 25-30 degrees. The circular platform forms again after 30 seconds as the sun rises and we are taken back to the Altar of the Sunne. Sometimes the gate in the Altar would open and Ultra Beasts would appear from time to time, version exclusives only appear on the altar of the Sunne and Moone respectively. Sometimes Solgaleo and Lunala can also be seen battling in the background against Necromza depending on the time of the day and some of their projectiles could deflect onto the battlefield.

The Final Destination and Battlefield versions could do a neat trick where half of one side of the altar is day and the other is night similar to Gil’s stage in Street Fighter V.

Last edited:

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Hey everyone, sorry I've been absent from the thread lately. Christmas season has kind of been a nightmare for me, but it's good to have things finally settle down a bit.

In regards to a Lycanroc stage, I kinda have two ideas in mind:

First, I like the idea of Iki Town, despite its simplicity. Having a wooden arena right in the town centre really makes it easy to adapt to Smash. Plus, I feel it captures the laid-back, Hawaiian vibes of Alola very well. Being the place you get your starter also adds a good degree of iconography. In terms of making the stage interesting, adding Tapu Koko as a stage hazard is a must. Whether he launches an attack or simply summons Electric Terrain, Tapu Koko always feels like an under appreciated Pokemon, so I wouldn't mind seeing him get a little love. Likewise, you may as well add the rest of the Tapus, even if it does break canon.

If Sakurak was looking for a more complex option, a stage based on the general concept of Ultra Space could be rather fun. Megelo Tower works well as a starting area akin to the Pokemon Stadiums or Kalos League. From there, fighters could be transported through Ultra Wormholes to the environments of the various Ultra Beasts, such as Buzzswole's Ultra Jungle, Pheromosa's Ultra Desert, or Guzzlord's Ultra Ruin. Hell, if you wanted to get fancy you could even have Necrozma appear as a rare boss fight. There's so much you could potentially do with this idea that I'm honestly just scratching the surface. Likewise, this stage idea would gel well with Dusk Lycanroc in an "Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon" pack.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Anyone been keeping up with the new Pokemon anime? I've been following the first few episodes.

Honestly, it's been extremely disappointing so far.

For starters, the writers have yet to have built upon the promise of this series appealing to both old and new fans. When they first debuted this series, a lot of fans saw promise for old friends and Pokemon being brought back. The Pikachu backstory episode only reinforced this idea. There's still an opportunity for that to happen, but so far, it doesn't seem to be what they have planned. This series is more of a "Pokemon Go anime", and they've made sure to throw in enough references to confirm it. Rather than focusing on reusing old characters and referencing past events, the writers are relying on Pokemon species alone to get people excited.

Second, the characters are being squandered. There doesn't seem to be any indication of Ash catching a Pokemon nine episodes in, and the writers have even resorted to him using his mother's Mr. Mime over an older Pokemon in a small tournament. He hasn't done much so far aside from being a comedic relief for Gao, a character who's already caught every Kanto bug type and will likely own dozens of Pokemon who he can't possibly show equal attention to. Team Rocket has only made one appearance in seven episodes (unsure about ep. 8 and 9), and it doesn't seem like they're getting new Pokemon to keep. The new gimmick is them receiving new Pokemon every time they face Ash, meaning that any bond they could've formed with their new Pokemon is out the window.

I'm desperately hoping things take a sharp turn in the near future. What I've seen so far isn't very promising, and what bothers me more than anything is how Pokemon have been demoted to mere collectables right after a series that's given more time for characters to bond with their Pokemon than any other series in the Pokemon anime to date.

Last edited:

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Anyone been keeping up with the new Pokemon anime? I've been following the first few episodes.

For starters, the writers have yet to have built upon the promise of this series appealing to both old and new fans. When they first debuted this series, a lot of fans saw promise for old friends and Pokemon being brought back. The Pikachu backstory episode only reinforced this idea. There's still an opportunity for that to happen, but so far, it doesn't seem to be what they have planned. This series is more of a "Pokemon Go anime", and they've made sure to throw in enough references to confirm it. Rather than focusing on reusing old characters and referencing past events, the writers are relying on Pokemon species alone to get people excited.

Second, the characters are being squandered. There doesn't seem to be any indication of Ash catching a Pokemon nine episodes in, and the writers have even resorted to him using his mother's Mr. Mime over an older Pokemon in a small tournament. He hasn't done much so far aside from being a comedic relief for Gao, a character who's already caught every Kanto bug type and will likely own dozens of Pokemon who he can't possibly show equal attention to. Team Rocket has only made one appearance in seven episodes (unsure about ep. 8 and 9), and it doesn't seem like they're getting new Pokemon to keep. The new gimmick is them receiving new Pokemon every time they face Ash, meaning that any bond they could've formed with their new Pokemon is out the window.

I'm desperately hoping things take a sharp turn in the near future. What I've seen so far isn't very promising, and what bothers me more than anything is how Pokemon have been demoted to mere collectables right after a series that's given more time for characters to bond with their Pokemon than any other series in the Pokemon anime to date.
I haven’t been keeping up with the Sword and Shield anime. I only really stuck through the Sun and Moon anime because of the Lycanroc arcs and I’ll probably only go watch the new anime when they come back to Alola, and even then I have gripes with how poorly animated the Lycanroc finals ended up being.

The new series definitely isn’t something I’m interested in, and the main Sword and Shield plot is actually pretty bad from what I hear so I think that’s a separate reason why they decided to go for the globetrotting theme as well.

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
Phew. Sorry for being so quiet--I've had a lot to focus on.

Aether Paradise. It's a touring stage that keeps up its innocent facade for about a minute until Nihilego pops out of an Ultra Wormhole, acting like the stage boss.
For me that would be the Altar in the rocky canyon in Alola.

View attachment 253994

The stage would take place on the grassy cliff sides that surround the Altar of the Sunne. The layout would be composed of one long platform and a smaller more elevated platform beside the long platform to the right. The stage starts during the day, 30 seconds into the match as the sun begins to set a flat circular platform with an ancient spiral pattern starts forming which the slowly takes the players to the back side of the Altar for about 15 seconds where the Altar of the Sunne becomes the Altar of the Moone. The layout of the stage changes instead having three medium sized platform, one on the left, the other on the right that is slightly tilted about 15-20 degrees, and one around the middle that is more elevated more closer to the right that is titled at 25-30 degrees. The circular platform forms again after 30 seconds as the sun rises and we are taken back to the Altar of the Sunne. Sometimes the gate in the Altar would open and Ultra Beasts would appear from time to time, version exclusives only appear on the altar of the Sunne and Moone respectively. Sometimes Solgaleo and Lunala can also be seen battling in the background against Necromza depending on the time of the day and some of their projectiles could deflect onto the battlefield.

The Final Destination and Battlefield versions could do a neat trick where half of one side of the altar is day and the other is night similar to Gil’s stage in Street Fighter V.
Hey everyone, sorry I've been absent from the thread lately. Christmas season has kind of been a nightmare for me, but it's good to have things finally settle down a bit.

In regards to a Lycanroc stage, I kinda have two ideas in mind:

First, I like the idea of Iki Town, despite its simplicity. Having a wooden arena right in the town centre really makes it easy to adapt to Smash. Plus, I feel it captures the laid-back, Hawaiian vibes of Alola very well. Being the place you get your starter also adds a good degree of iconography. In terms of making the stage interesting, adding Tapu Koko as a stage hazard is a must. Whether he launches an attack or simply summons Electric Terrain, Tapu Koko always feels like an under appreciated Pokemon, so I wouldn't mind seeing him get a little love. Likewise, you may as well add the rest of the Tapus, even if it does break canon.

If Sakurak was looking for a more complex option, a stage based on the general concept of Ultra Space could be rather fun. Megelo Tower works well as a starting area akin to the Pokemon Stadiums or Kalos League. From there, fighters could be transported through Ultra Wormholes to the environments of the various Ultra Beasts, such as Buzzswole's Ultra Jungle, Pheromosa's Ultra Desert, or Guzzlord's Ultra Ruin. Hell, if you wanted to get fancy you could even have Necrozma appear as a rare boss fight. There's so much you could potentially do with this idea that I'm honestly just scratching the surface. Likewise, this stage idea would gel well with Dusk Lycanroc in an "Ultra Sun/Ultra Moon" pack.
Some interesting ideas for stages here. Goes to show how the potential Alola has for a stage. Potential that will likely be left untapped barring a plot twist...

Yeah, I'm not sure what to think of it yet, but so far it seems...pretty meh.

The dynamic between Ash and Go is nice and all, but there's so little continuity aside from the latter getting his Scorbunny to where it feels more like sightseeing and Dex completion than anything. Which...I guess might appeal to super old school fans focused on the "Gotta Catch 'em All" side of the fandom, but there hasn't been much for everyone else yet.

That said, it's still pretty early. Took a while for the Alola anime to grow into its own--Ash didn't even have his Rockruff yet at this point three years ago.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Happy new year! Here's some old official New Year's art that was apparently never posted ITT.

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
Slowly rebounding from what I suspect is the flu. If only we had more people around still to keep the thread going, but the board cleared out quite a bit after launch.

Happy new year! Here's some old official New Year's art that was apparently never posted ITT.
I want to say I posted it when it first came around? It was from 2018, not 2019, since that was the Year of the Dog in the Eastern zodiac.

2020's a Rat year, and so this year's art features...exactly who you'd expect, but with a pretty substantial supporting cast.

Hey, you try making mochi when your thumbs are only partially opposable.

Super10ZX

Smash Journeyman
Um, hey guys! Haven’t posted here in awhile. Or, anywhere on SmashBoards for that matter. My main reason was to try my best to avoid Sword & Shield spoilers until after I beat the game. As well as focusing more on other things like the King For Another Day Tournament. So anything in the Smash speculation scene I missed (specifically after that Mii Costume leak first came out)? I know there currently isn’t a Gen 8 front runner for Smash yet, and I’m honestly having trouble with who I think would be the best. Even though the chances for any Gen 7 Pokémon are more dead than ever, I will continue to support Lycanroc (and Decidueye). Hope they can make it through someday.

Last edited:

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
Well, this came out of nowhere.

A Pokémon-focused Direct in two days. Odds are it won't reveal this year's main titles yet because that'd be freakishly early to do so for a mid-generation year, so the question is what else'll show up. Pokémon Home is a safe bet, with further details and a launch date. Maybe some kind of update to SwSh, showing off Gen 8's first mythic or something to do with the files for Gigantamax Melmetal tucked away in the data. Would be interesting if they added a handful more mons to the Galar Dex over time, but we'd need proof that it was happening first.

Maybe we'll also see a spinoff title here? Still crossing my fingers for Pokkén 2...

And because it's worth saying, it's highly unlikely that Fighter #5 gets revealed here. Nintendo doesn't like suddenly dropping newcomer trailers in specialty Directs, especially since Pokémon tends to do its own thing when it comes to annonucements.

Last edited:

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky

A Pokémon-focused Direct in two days. Odds are it won't reveal this year's main titles yet because that'd be freakishly early to do so for a mid-generation year, so the question is what else'll show up. Pokémon Home is a safe bet, with further details and a launch date. Maybe some kind of update to SwSh, showing off Gen 8's first mythic or something to do with the files for Gigantamax Melmetal tucked away in the data. Would be interesting if they added a handful more mons to the Galar Dex over time, but we'd need proof that it was happening first.

Maybe we'll also see a spinoff title here? Still crossing my fingers for Pokkén 2...

And because it's worth saying, it's highly unlikely that Fighter #5 gets revealed here. Nintendo doesn't like suddenly dropping newcomer trailers in specialty Directs, especially since Pokémon tends to do its own thing when it comes to annonucements.

Pokken 2 would be great. The game could use a gameplay overhaul.

RidleyKraid187

Smash Journeyman
It’s times like these where people really need to start thinking of Nintendo and The Pokémon Company as completely separate entities, because let’s be honest, they might as well be. A Pokémon Direct isn’t going to shoehorn in Smash or give any insight on any other titles- If Pokémon has involvement with other games, it will be mentioned elsewhere, The Pokémon Company has better things to invest it’s time and effort into than advertising other Nintendo games.

With that in mind, a general Nintendo direct could still happen this month or the next, but it’s definitely more of a wait and see then a guarantee. Nintendo likes to do it’s own thing too....

RandomAce

Smash Champion

Maybe include some more Pokémon, such as what was datamined in SS and the other content that was found as well.

Honestly, I’m not really sure what they would show aside from what was datamined, unless they have new updates for the game that we haven’t seen yet.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Well, they showed that Lycanroc's coming back to SS.

Also, I guess I'm gonna have to get the vanilla games, now that Game Freak knows that DLC exists.

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin

I admit, that was a lot more of an update than I expected. Turns out we're getting two sets of DLC instead of a third version this generation. Each is bringing a new Wild Area-like overworld, new side plots, new modes, and even a few new regional variants and legendaries.

Oh, and a whole lot of mons that didn't make it into Galar proper are going to show up in the expansions, over 200 more in total, apparently. And even people who don't purchase the DLC will still be able to use them if obtained through trades or transfers.

And I have to say...

And We're Back.png

It's good to be back.

Oh, and the first PMD game's getting a remake. Didn't see that coming.

Last edited:

Cyborg Sun

Smash Apprentice
Pokemon's actually getting with the times and giving the games DLC expansions rather than a full-on third version! Nice! I say this is a much better option.

(welcome back lycanroc)

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
I honestly have to give Game Freak mad props for adding in the cut Pokemon in free updates. They were far from a situation where they needed to do that. Most devs would either not bother to add them back in or, even worse, would hide them behind a paywall. I honestly think even those who don't get in through the expansion pass will be added back in the inevitable Diamond/Pearl remake.

I guess I have to get Sword or Shield, huh?

RandomAce

Smash Champion
So, Pokemon seemed to pull everyone for a loop and defy expectations when it comes to main-line Pokémon games from here on out.

It seems that with GameFreak (hopefully) getting rid of third versions with them going for DLC expansions for the first time, which is a step in the right direction, I could be getting Sword and Shield, and it seems that post-game content is going to be receiving a lot of depth which is what a lot of people wanted. Of course a lot of older Pokémon being added back to bring the number up to 600-ish for free (through trading if you don’t have DLC) is a major plus and what I feel is what base game Sword and Shield should’ve had to begin, and it’s nice knowing Lycanroc is being brought back right off the bat (with it being one of the first to be revealed in the trailer). Turns out Garteam’s theory about Accelerock still being in the game’s code was right.

Whether Lycanroc being in Sword and Shield matters at this point, it’s still nice knowing that Lycanroc was a Pokémon GameFreak decided to return. Now let’s hope that GameFreak also had the mercy of buffing the trio to be more applicable in battles.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
It's a shame that there are people who are ****ting on the basic concept of SS having DLC expansions.

While I have yet to get the game due to certain things I've heard about it, I can still tell this is just going "**** you Game Freak, how dare you make us NOT pay more and have to replay the whole game to get to the new stuff!"

it’s still nice knowing that Lycanroc was a Pokémon GameFreak decided to return
It should say something when it was one of the Pokemon they specifically advertised as returning.

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
It's a shame that there are people who are ****ting on the basic concept of SS having DLC expansions.

While I have yet to get the game due to certain things I've heard about it, I can still tell this is just going "**** you Game Freak, how dare you make us NOT pay more and have to replay the whole game to get to the new stuff!"
Yeah, it seems like there are two different groups responding with backlash:

1. People who planned on waiting for the "third version" in order to save money and also considered themselves better than anyone who didn't do the same.

2. People insisting the DLC expansions should be completely free, or are convinced they could've been part of the base game and were cut out to sell separately.

But overall, it seems like the reception's been pretty positive, especially among people who either already bought the main game or haven't yet but aren't averse to doing so in the near future. I'm interested to see what kinds of new content we get with these new areas, myself.

Whether Lycanroc being in Sword and Shield matters at this point, it’s still nice knowing that Lycanroc was a Pokémon GameFreak decided to return. Now let’s hope that GameFreak also had the mercy of buffing the trio to be more applicable in battles.
That's a good question, actually: What could be done to buff the Lycanroc forms for Gen 8? Midday and Dusk ended up kinda lackluster competitively, while Midnight is hardly used even in the lowest tiers. How could that be turned around?

I've only had the chance to think about it a little so far, but I think one thing that'd help out Midday and Dusk is gaining access to U-Turn. Their main niche has been late game cleanup sweepers, mostly because they haven't had a diverse enough movepool to do much else and have had to worry about getting walled or revenge killed otherwise. But gaining a pivot move would grant them a second role as a scout or lead, setting up rocks, Taunting defensive mons, then bailing out if things get dicey...while still also having the option to clean up late.

I'm not sure what'd help Midnight, though. The really unfortunate combo of a defensive lean with stats that aren't defensive nor fast enough to pull it off is not a good look. No Guard is interesting, but with few moves that truly benefit from it and merely average speed, it still hasn't helped much. But there must be something...right?

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
they could've been part of the base game and were cut out to sell separately.
Did they not notice the new director? I don't think Ohmori would've made them fully open-world.

I myself was one of those third-version waiters, and I can still see the conveniences DLC episodes can have instead. Hopefully they'll do a sale for vanilla SS.

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin

Well...this is it, guys. Our last chance, barring a miracle. Things are going to be very different around the fandom in two days' time.

Until then, tread carefully. Things are going to be pretty high strung, and discussion's bound to take some ugly turns. Do what you can to keep a steady hand and not fall into the toxicity that's likely to spread.

I say that as someone who...hasn't always been the greatest at avoiding it myself. But all the more reason for me to want you all to be free of the missteps I've made. Because I've felt firsthand, and still do feel, what it can do to someone.

So, everyone, what's on your minds with two days remaining?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Just looking forward to finding out who it is myself. Not sure who it'll be I'll be happy whoever it is.

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
Honestly, while i don't want to say anything too soon, the fact that the Devil May Cry twitter noted January 16 as a day where more info towards the series happens to be in the same day as the 5th character reveal is very odd.

Cyborg Sun

Smash Apprentice
Very exciting times, especially for those like me who don't really care who it is at this point (it's a lot like being really hungry... you're willing to eat anything just to be sustained). But much like any impending announcement, it's also a terrifying time for the community, and hell will be raised no matter what. Will you tread the forums and discussions, or will you choose not to walk the path at all...?

Oh, and I think this is an important detail that bears repeating for those who feel... iffy about the amount of 3rd parties we've gotten in the Pass: The higher-ups at Nintendo were the ones who gave Sakurai the list to choose characters from, he wasn't completely free this time. Of course he still had the final word, but his choices were still limited.

Problem is, we have no clue how big "the list" was, or who else was on it (given that a more obscure pick like Terry was on there, though, it might've been extensive enough, I guess). Who's to say the list didn't have all third parties, a ploy by Nintendo to prioritize sales and "hype" over... um... the "art" and "the little guy", I guess?

Yeah, yeah, this is kind of a cynical and "capitalism bad, unga bunga" way of looking at it, and the dev team still did a great job giving us fun and unique characters to play as, but I still feel it's a good reminder to those who blame Sakurai for literally everything.

Still, it'd be real nice to get a first party DLC character at some point...

Last edited:
Top Bottom