• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Day, Night, and Dusk - Lycanroc for Smash Bros. Ultimate

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
If I'm the eevee fan you're referring to I don't actually watch the anime, though I tried a few episodes when I was younger which is ironically the reason eevee is my favorite (gee thanks Virgil). Personally, I feel that evolving the eevee defeats the whole purpose of its inclusion unless it does become a new eeveelution, because your starter in let's go can't evolve. Giving it to a side character that's getting thrown out of the show as soon as the next gen comes around doesn't exactly make me happy either.
I don't think that Eevee will evolve into a next gen Eeveelution unless either Lana gives Eevee away to Ash or Lana travels with Ash to the Gen 8 region. Both of these are highly unlikely.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Where did you hear about Lana's Eevee potentially evolving? Are you sure it wasn't just some rumor?
It’s a rumor. It was just some recent news that there is a new plushie that hasn’t been shown for the upcoming anime plushie line.

Alright, let’s discuss something new. What would a potential Palutena’s Guidance on Lycanroc be like?

Joinallthreacs.smash

Smash Journeyman
Hey fellows, when do you think the new Pokemon will be revealed, and shown off, im betting March, Because Sun and Moon were also revealed in March

I imagine for Lycanroc's Palutena's guidance Virdi rants about rocks

Last edited:

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
It’s a rumor. It was just some recent news that there is a new plushie that hasn’t been shown for the upcoming anime plushie line.

Alright, let’s discuss something new. What would a potential Palutena’s Guidance on Lycanroc be like?
:ultpit:: Who's that Pokemon?
:ultpalutena:: That would be Lycanroc. It's an Alolan rock-type known for having multiple forms.
V: That's right. There's the docile and loyal midday form, as well as the vengeful and cunning midnight form.
:ultpalutena:: However, this Lycanroc is the rare dusk form. As it's name implies, it's qualities are between the midday and midnight forms.
:ultpit:: I don't get it. Lycanroc looks like a wolf, but is orange like a fox. What exactly is it?

V: Geez Pit, it's not like you fight alongside a talking fox and wolf who could this question.
:ultpit:: I feel like that would be rude, like I'm crossing some sort of unspoken boundary.
:ultpalutena:: Back to this task at hand, Lycanroc has mastered many powerful rock moves. These include Stone Edge, Stealth Rock, and its signature Accelerock.

V: And as a flying-type, those will be super effective against you! Luckily, us grass types have nothing to fear.
:ultpalutena:: Likewise, Lycanroc's fighting style is heavily based around baiting-and-punishing. Be wary when Lycanroc tries to lure you in. Keep an eye out for their red eyes, as those indicate when Lycanroc is tapping into the strength of its midnight size.
:ultpit:: Dodge rocks and look out for red eyes, this seems like pretty standard video game stuff. Cracking this rock will be a snap!

Here's a bonus Snake codec:
:ultsnake:: Otacon, tell me about this Carrot-colored wolf.

O: Oh! You're taking on Lycanroc, the Wolf Pokemon! It's the evolved form of Rockruff.
:ultsnake:: I suppose it would be fitting that I'm dealing with another wolf on Shadow Moses.
O: Anyway, Lycanroc has multiple forms. Midday Lycanrocs are pacifists who battle only when necessary, while Midnight Lycanrocs are aggressive warriors who love to fight by nature.
:ultsnake:: I see, so it's like they're different breeds?

O: Not really, they all start off as a standard Rockruff but later evolve into a different forms depending on the time of day.
:ultsnake:: Bah... I'll never understand this Pokemon thing. What form am I fighting now?
O: This is the rarest Lycanroc form, the Dusk form. It's philosophy to fighting is a mix between the standard forms. Its midday half lures the opponent while its midnight half strikes.
:ultsnake:: So, this coin has two sides.
O: Anyway, you have more experience with dogs than me, so I'll leave Lycanroc to you. But... uh, Snake?
:ultsnake:: Yes?
O: Could you go easy on Lycanroc? I've got a soft spot for dogs.
:ultsnake:: Gr... fine! I'm blaming you if I lose though.

Last edited:

RandomAce

Smash Champion
:ultpit:: Who's that Pokemon?
:ultpalutena:: That would be Lycanroc. It's an Alolan rock-type known for having multiple forms.
V: That's right. There's the docile and loyal midday form, as well as the vengeful and cunning midnight form.
:ultpalutena:: However, this Lycanroc is the rare dusk form. As it's name implies, it's qualities are between the midday and midnight forms.
:ultpit:: I don't get it. Lycanroc looks like a wolf, but is orange like a fox. What exactly is it?

V: Geez Pit, it's not like you fight alongside a talking fox and wolf who could this question.
:ultpit:: I feel like that would be rude, like I'm crossing some sort of unspoken boundary.
:ultpalutena:: Back to this task at hand, Lycanroc has mastered many powerful rock moves. These include Stone Edge, Stealth Rock, and its signature Accelerock.

V: And as a flying-type, those will be super effective against you! Luckily, us grass types have nothing to fear.
:ultpalutena:: Likewise, Lycanroc's fighting style is heavily based around baiting-and-punishing. Be wary when Lycanroc tries to lure you in. Keep an eye out for their red eyes, as those indicate when Lycanroc is tapping into the strength of its midnight size.
:ultpit:: Dodge rocks and look out for red eyes, this seems like pretty standard video game stuff. Cracking this rock will be a snap!

Here's a bonus Snake codec:
:ultsnake:: Otacon, tell me about this Carrot-colored wolf.

O: Oh! You're taking on Lycanroc, the Wolf Pokemon! It's the evolved form of Rockruff.
:ultsnake:: I suppose it would be fitting that I'm dealing with another wolf on Shadow Moses.
O: Anyway, Lycanroc has multiple forms. Midday Lycanrocs are pacifists who battle only when necessary, while Midnight Lycanrocs are aggressive warriors who love to fight by nature.
:ultsnake:: I see, so it's like they're different breeds?

O: Not really, they all start off as a standard Rockruff but later evolve into a different forms depending on the time of day.
:ultsnake:: Bah... I'll never understand this Pokemon thing. What form am I fighting now?
O: This is the rarest Lycanroc form, the Dusk form. It's philosophy to fighting is a mix between the standard forms. Its midday half lures the opponent while its midnight half strikes.
:ultsnake:: So, this coin has two sides.
O: Anyway, you have more experience with dogs than me, so I'll leave Lycanroc to you. But... uh, Snake?
:ultsnake:: Yes?
O: Could you go easy on Lycanroc? I've got a soft spot for dogs.
:ultsnake:: Gr... fine! I'm blaming you if I lose though.
Those are perfect! Not much else to say other than it captures what those characters would say.

I’m sure some of you have heard of the rumors, but apparently there might be an upcoming direct on the 10th this month. What are your thoughts on Lycanroc getting a potential Smash reveal there?

Last edited:

GlaceonGD

Smash Cadet
Those are perfect! Not much else to say other than it captures what those characters would say.

I’m sure some of you have heard of the rumors, but apparently there might be an upcoming direct on the 10th this month. What are your thoughts on Lycanroc getting a potential Smash reveal there?
Hm, I actually haven't heard this yet which is surprising because I always saw videos about direct rumors before the last smash direct. Honestly I think that if there were to be a direct, it would focus more on upcoming games than smash DLC considering we just got the Joker reveal a month ago. If it were to show off a DLC character though, I'm not really sure if lycanroc would be the one announced (if lycanroc is going to be a DLC character of course). At this point, I just want my gen 8 reveal already, can't wait for those games honestly.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam

Unfortunately, I think Erdrick is next in line. The amount of correct Persona information that has come in the face of that leak has kind of made it inevitable to me. Granted, we still don't know if Persona 5R is coming to Switch, but this direct would be the place to announce it. I wouldn't mind being wrong though, even though Erdrick is my 3rd most wanted.

Perhaps they're saving Lycanroc until later in the year, once the Pokemon pre-release cycle starts up and everyone has an eye on the franchise?

Joinallthreacs.smash

Smash Journeyman
Hm, I actually haven't heard this yet which is surprising because I always saw videos about direct rumors before the last smash direct. Honestly I think that if there were to be a direct, it would focus more on upcoming games than smash DLC considering we just got the Joker reveal a month ago. If it were to show off a DLC character though, I'm not really sure if lycanroc would be the one announced (if lycanroc is going to be a DLC character of course). At this point, I just want my gen 8 reveal already, can't wait for those games honestly.

Not happening till March unfortunately

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
Based on the timeframes of when DLC development began...I don't think another newcomer will be revealed until at least March. Sakurai mentioned a couple weeks ago that Joker wasn't even in a playable state yet, and if he isn't, the odds of anyone else of the five being so is highly unlikely. Unless they want to release another gameplay-less trailer, which I suppose isn't out of the question, but then they'd have two characters floating around without a single detail on their moves, playstyle, or release date.

My guess right now is we'll get details on Piranha Plant + a release date, and maybe something simple for Joker like a render, but based on what we know, the timing isn't right yet for another character reveal. It's like how the first Direct of 2015 didn't reveal anyone either; Lucas showed up in the following Direct a while later! And that was with Smash 4 going gold earlier in its release year than Ultimate did.

Unfortunately, I think Erdrick is next in line. The amount of correct Persona information that has come in the face of that leak has kind of made it inevitable to me. Granted, we still don't know if Persona 5R is coming to Switch, but this direct would be the place to announce it. I wouldn't mind being wrong though, even though Erdrick is my 3rd most wanted.

Perhaps they're saving Lycanroc until later in the year, once the Pokemon pre-release cycle starts up and everyone has an eye on the franchise?
I think Erdrick (or whoever the rumored Square-Enix character is) is probably an E3 or near-E3 reveal, like Ryu was. I'm leaning toward our next reveal being a first party character that we haven't heard rumors of yet. Licensing for guest fighters probably requires a lot more red tape, so it's plausible that they had to start talking to people well in advance, while the rights for Nintendo-owned characters could be obtained later on with little hassle.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Looking at the responses, I only thought of the possibility of Lycanroc being revealed at a January direct is because it would be a couple of months before the reveals of the Pokémon Switch games, so it would be a good time to reveal them without it feeling a bit awkward.

Unless, Lycanroc lives through a potential Gen 8 and is still prominent. We’ve seen instances where some Pokémon (besides Pikachu) continue to have a lot of prominence past their generation, with Lucario, Charizard, and Greninja being some examples within the Smash roster.

So if Lycanroc joins in their ranks and is still a big figure past Gen 7, our chances may not be as slim as we thought and Lycanroc could be a later reveal and not feel as awkward since they could still be prominent in the upcoming generation and even hype up the upcoming games.

That is, if Lycanroc keeps going strong past Gen 7. It’s still a wait and see.

Last edited:

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
So based on a recent datamine, it seems that the DLC fighters will have code names in their code rather than their official titles (ex. Joker's is "Jack").

Are there any words you guys think we should keep an eye out for? Perhaps something like "wolf" or "Alola"?

Looking at the responses, I only thought of the possibility of Lycanroc being revealed at a January direct is because it would be a couple of months before the reveals of the Pokémon Switch games, so it would be a good time to reveal them without it feeling a bit awkward.

Unless, Lycanroc lives through a potential Gen 8 and is still prominent. We’ve seen instances where some Pokémon (besides Pikachu) continue to have a lot of prominence past their generation, with Lucario, Charizard, and Greninja being some examples within the Smash roster.

So if Lycanroc joins in their ranks and is still a big figure past Gen 7, our chances may not be as slim as we thought and Lycanroc could be a later reveal and not feel as awkward since they could still be prominent in the upcoming generation and even hype up the upcoming games.

That is, if Lycanroc keeps going strong past Gen 7. It’s still a wait and see.
Lycanroc and Mimikyu are the two standout Pokemon of Gen 7 (that aren't starters, which generally lose relevance once their gen ends unless they're massively popular, which the Alola ones really aren't), so I imagine we'll see them again. However, I don't know how much this will truly give us headway in the long run, as we've only seen Sakurai backtrack to Gen 1 for Pokemon from previous gens.

Perhaps our best chance really is to get a new form of Lycanroc. Maybe they're saving a Dawn Lycanroc for a Gen 8 reveal which better tie into the announcement of a light type.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Are there any words you guys think we should keep an eye out for? Perhaps something like "wolf" or "Alola"?
After this, I can see the later fighters simply having "DLC##" names, or like how there were extra Ikes+ZSS for the final Smash 4 newcomers, there will be copied data from already existing fighters. So look out for an extra Duck Hunt.

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
Seems like talk surrounding the datamine has tensions rising in the bigger threads. Lot of people seem convinced that we must be getting nothing but third party characters despite us not having enough information to make that call.

Be careful elsewhere on the boards, alright? This is starting to look like one of those situations where one idea takes over, gains a zealous following, and anyone who second-guesses it starts getting harassed. Hopefully it doesn't get that far, but...be careful.

So based on a recent datamine, it seems that the DLC fighters will have code names in their code rather than their official titles (ex. Joker's is "Jack").

Depends on whether they wanted to be more secretive or more symbolic. Simple stuff like "wolf" could work, like you suggested, or something more elemental like "rock" or "stone" or "earth", or maybe even "dusk". In theory, anyway; they may just scrap the codenames altogether for the data of every newcomer after these and refer to them only by number or something.

Perhaps our best chance really is to get a new form of Lycanroc. Maybe they're saving a Dawn Lycanroc for a Gen 8 reveal which better tie into the announcement of a light type.
It'd certainly help, at least. We never did find out if those two remaining form slots were meant to be used or not.

Not sure if a simple Dawn form would be enough, though. Maybe some kind of ultimate form that the others can take with the help of an item or location? Radiant form? Lodestar? Guardian? If I had any artistic talent, I'd try and sketch out concept art.

Last edited:

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Based on the timeframes of when DLC development began...I don't think another newcomer will be revealed until at least March. Sakurai mentioned a couple weeks ago that Joker wasn't even in a playable state yet, and if he isn't, the odds of anyone else of the five being so is highly unlikely. Unless they want to release another gameplay-less trailer, which I suppose isn't out of the question, but then they'd have two characters floating around without a single detail on their moves, playstyle, or release date.

My guess right now is we'll get details on Piranha Plant + a release date, and maybe something simple for Joker like a render, but based on what we know, the timing isn't right yet for another character reveal. It's like how the first Direct of 2015 didn't reveal anyone either; Lucas showed up in the following Direct a while later! And that was with Smash 4 going gold earlier in its release year than Ultimate did.
I wouldn’t have had a counterpoint if it wasn’t for a recent leak.

Not only did the datamine include the 2 new characters (Joker and Erdrick), but they have as much data as PP. Their run speeds, Air Speeds, Weight, Frame Data for all of their moves, what type of Jab they have, if they Wall Jump, size.

They actually have been developed a lot more than most people initially thought, since it means that they basically have their models, attacks, and animations all set in stone. And the other three probably already started development.

But even if these characters are fairly done and ready within the next couple months, they will probably spread out their releases. So yeah, I do have to agree that we may get a reveal later on.

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
I wouldn’t have had a counterpoint if it wasn’t for a recent leak.

Not only did the datamine include the 2 new characters (Joker and Erdrick), but they have as much data as PP. Their run speeds, Air Speeds, Weight, Frame Data for all of their moves, what type of Jab they have, if they Wall Jump, size.

They actually have been developed a lot more than most people initially thought, since it means that they basically have their models, attacks, and animations all set in stone. And the other three probably already started development.

But even if these characters are fairly done and ready within the next couple months, they will probably spread out their releases. So yeah, I do have to agree that we may get a reveal later on.
Yeah, any time I make a claim like that, things have a way of going out of their way to prove me wrong. Alas.

Well, we'll see if we get any news now or not until later. We technically don't know if anyone other than Piranha Plant is touched up enough to show off yet--I don't know exactly how the Smash devs approach it, but speaking from experience with my own character concepts, stats are always one of the first things I get figured out. For all we know, they may have the concepts planned out already but the actual models and animations too unfinished or unpolished to show yet.

On a more thread-relevant note, I've heard word making the rounds that apparently an anime preview was shown earlier this morning that revealed another Ash vs. Gladion battle happening in the next couple episodes? Specifically, a Lycanroc grudge match? Anyone got a clip of the teaser or anything?

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I can't say for sure what Sakurai is thinking without reading the codenames he assigned to the mystery four DLC fighters. What I can say for sure is this: if Lycanroc is one of the Fighter Pass newcomers and 20% of the pass is more sodding Pokémon, I will flip every table in a ten-mile radius.
This post reminds me, how do you expect to handle the salt? Between people who think 10 Pokemon is more than enough while wanting more Mario like the hypocrites they are, and people who wanted Decidueye instead, this thread is gonna get ****ed.

Last edited:

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
After seeing some ''potential leaks'', i would like talk about it's veracity: (Of course take with a grain of salt)
Source: https://gearnuke.com/new-super-smash-bros-ultimate-lea/
There's talk about all the dlc characters to be featured in the fighter's pass featuring the following:
Eldrick from Dragon Quest.
Ryu Hayabusa from Ninja Gaiden.
Steve from Minecraft with a Master Chief Skin.
Doom Guy from Doom.
Unlike the potential codename for Eldrick, the other 3 characters are only text rumors and i can only see Steve happening. Ryu Hayabusa seems too random of a pick and Doom Guy i don't think is that popular of a request for a smash character. Even if i don't really want any of the 3, my mind will always change when gameplay shows up, but i'd still rather have other characters, even if they're only 3rd party.
I don't know what to say about the rumor itself, but i've only come to only take Vergeben a bit seriously, other people i can't and won't take seriously since i don't know anything about them.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
On a more thread-relevant note, I've heard word making the rounds that apparently an anime preview was shown earlier this morning that revealed another Ash vs. Gladion battle happening in the next couple episodes? Specifically, a Lycanroc grudge match? Anyone got a clip of the teaser or anything?
I’ve been waiting for this!

Yup, an upcoming episode is battle between Gladion and Ash between their Lycanroc’s in Poni Island.

The Lycanrocs are sorta like Light and Dark. It’s making me wonder if Ash was originally supposed to get a Midday version to contrast Gladion’s Midnight, but they went with Dusk instead.

Last edited:

Joinallthreacs.smash

Smash Journeyman
So guys, i found something, i think, i saw some html code that was a sample from somewhere, it was like a word search, then i remember seeing Alola in it, cant remember where i saw it. It might just be a red flag

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
This post reminds me, how do you expect to handle the salt? Between people who think 10 Pokemon is more than enough while wanting more Mario like the hypocrites they are, and people who wanted Decidueye instead, this thread is gonna get ****ed.
As an Erdrick fan, I'm already feeling some of the salt. I suppose the best thing to do is try to sincerely hear out people's complaints while trying to show what you see in the character. It's also good to remember that you can't make a believer out of everyone, so picking your battles is a strong skill.

I'd say being pleasant is possibly the strongest value for me, especially in the face of confrontation. You can attract a lot more flies with honey than vinegar. There's been characters who I've warmed up to thanks to a strong response to critique from their fanbase. Likewise, there's been characters who I've become opposed to due to a negative attitude from their fanbase.

Last edited:

Joinallthreacs.smash

Smash Journeyman
Ive come to think Lycanroc is in the big leauges when it comes to cannidates, he fits all of Sakurai's criteria for a unique Newcomer.

Delzethin Delzethin in one of his videos and in the OT, said we could 2 new Pokemon, and it just might happen.

He is also very prominent in the anime

Also remember that Sakurai is picking from a list Nintendo made, so yeah. Lycanroc 35% chance in my book, not the most likely, but definitely a candidate.

Hope he gets in, we must.

Last edited:

RandomAce

Smash Champion
I mean, I sorta doubt there will be a lot of salt if Incineroar shows anything.

But if there is, a lot of people here would brush it off. It would’ve been two years of rough speculation and a constant uphill battle, and if Lycanroc makes it in the end, I think there would be a lot more celebrating here more than anything, from us and some outsiders. I do expect some salt, as it comes with every character since the entirety of Smash speculation. But in the end, if your most wanted gets in, you’ll be playing them soon, so why really bother argueing with someone if they were “worth” their spot if you’ll be playing as the one you were hoping for.

If you want something more solid. Lycanroc is arguably one of the more popular Pokémon out from Gen 7. This has been proven several times from merchandise sales, to being a selling point for USUM, consistent push from Game Freak, and something that has came up more recently, Midday and Midnight were placed 2nd and 3rd in terms of favorite rock type Pokémon on a popular survey that had a lot of submissions of people’s favorite Pokémon for each type, pre-Dusk. So there is a crowd that would be hyped for Lycanroc especially from the Pokémon community.

At least, I hope the day comes that Lycanroc becomes playable.

Last edited:

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
I think...we'd see a split between Pokémon and non-Pokémon fans. People who are at least familiar with Lycanroc and those who aren't.

The Pokémon fans would probably react with mixed-to-positive reception. They know the character, they know what they have to offer, what new and unique abilities there are to tap into. I imagine something like how the Fire Emblem fandom reacted to Corrin: surprised it happened, shocked that they got another character so soon, but sure, why not? Considering more people are familiar with Lycanroc now than they were with Corrin then (since Corrin's game had only been out in Japan yet), maybe we'd get a greater share willing to give us a chance.

But people outside the Pokémon fanbase? I can't help but think there'd be a major split in reactions. A lot of people think we "have enough Pokémon reps" already, compelled by a need to "represent" other franchises instead. To them, we'd be "stealing a slot" from "someone more deserving".

You know how Corrin was thrown under the bus for also "stealing a slot"? Imagine a lesser version of that. That's what we'd be up against. Whether the resentment would fade over time like with R.O.B., Toon Link, Duck Hunt, et al or stick around like it has with Corrin, that I don't know.

I'd hope things wouldn't turn out that way...but I've been around the block long enough to know that if we do pull this off somehow, we should brace ourselves to be met with torches and pitchforks for not being someone else they'd approved more of. Hope for the best, prepare for the worst.

After seeing some ''potential leaks'', i would like talk about it's veracity: (Of course take with a grain of salt)
Source: https://gearnuke.com/new-super-smash-bros-ultimate-lea/
There's talk about all the dlc characters to be featured in the fighter's pass featuring the following:
Eldrick from Dragon Quest.
Ryu Hayabusa from Ninja Gaiden.
Steve from Minecraft with a Master Chief Skin.
Doom Guy from Doom.
Unlike the potential codename for Eldrick, the other 3 characters are only text rumors and i can only see Steve happening. Ryu Hayabusa seems too random of a pick and Doom Guy i don't think is that popular of a request for a smash character. Even if i don't really want any of the 3, my mind will always change when gameplay shows up, but i'd still rather have other characters, even if they're only 3rd party.
I don't know what to say about the rumor itself, but i've only come to only take Vergeben a bit seriously, other people i can't and won't take seriously since i don't know anything about them.
I'm not buying it. Everything it's been correct on so far comes from previous rumors, and everything else--and the given logic behind them--doesn't line up.

- Joker wasn't a prediction, because the original 5ch post dates back to around 11:00 PM Japan time on December 9th, roughly half a day after Joker's reveal. Apparently rumors about Persona 5 R have been circulating among the Persona fanbase for months now, only coming to the forefront again in late December because of a domain name change that signaled an announcement coming soon (which did happen). It was not a prediction, it was following on the heels of rumors that already existed.

- The same goes with Erdrick. We've heard rumors surrounding Dragon Quest since November, including the part about other DQ protagonists potentially being alts. Again, another thing pulled straight from something that had already existed.

- The main red flag here, if you ask me, is how the post claims to know the reasoning behind each choice. Not only have leaks that claim to have such knowledge never turned out to be legitimate, the very ideas presented seem dubious at best. Sakurai's always been more about adding characters on their own merits (mostly), so you mean to tell me he and Nintendo decided use the entire wave of DLC just to cross-promote other companies' upcoming games? This especially goes for the claim that Steve was supposed to be in the base roster, but was pushed back for DLC in order to promote Minecraft Dungeons. Sakurai has always been the type to cram as much content into his games as possible; would he even sign off on the idea of consciously choosing to cut a character from the base roster for the express purpose of selling them separately later on? Much less doing so just to advertise a game from a franchise that, let's be honest, won't need any extra help? Having a character narrowly miss the cut and then sneak in through DLC is one thing, but the post claims the choice was made specifically to hold Steve back until later for advertising purposes. That's very unlike Sakurai.

That entire thought process sounds right at first glance, but that's...not how the Smash team operates. Not as far as we know, from what Sakurai has said in his columns. Using DLC entirely to cross-promote upcoming games? Adding nothing but third party characters because they're "more hype"? Sticking in a random Master Chief skin for Steve for "more representation"? It comes off as a fan imitation rather than the real thing, you know?

So yeah. I'm leaning toward this just being a piggybacker who lucked out and got more attention than they should've. Then again, considering how most of my predictions lately have led to the opposite happening...well, take this all with a grain of salt.

Last edited:

GlaceonGD

Smash Cadet
A thought did just come to mind while I was thinking about these rumors, I'll leave it in a spoiler tab just in case.
I know this definitely isn't the case but I felt like sharing it. We saw that one datamine with the code names, one of which was "Brave" and everyone seems to agree it's a DQ character. But not a single person has mentioned that Brave also just so happens to be one of the many natures your pokemon can have in the main series games. Like I said this isn't the case, I have a habit of overthinking things.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Sticking in a random Master Chief skin for Steve for "more representation"?
What I don't get is, why not have Master Chief be a Mii Gunner skin instead? This seems like something a mod would do.

Joinallthreacs.smash

Smash Journeyman
Hey, im going to set out to gain us some recognition and positive reception from the rest community, because
But people outside the Pokémon fanbase? I can't help but think there'd be a major split in reactions. A lot of people think we "have enough Pokémon reps" already, compelled by a need to "represent" other franchises instead. To them, we'd be "stealing a slot" from "someone more deserving"

Yah, i was thinking about it for a while now and im now leaning towards gaining Lycanroc some time in the sun, this won't be easy.

Last edited:

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
Meanwhile, a full preview dropped of the upcoming anime arc:

A menagerie of stuff here, with the Ash/Gladion fight as a focal point for us to look forward to. Should be interesting to see how they work that colony of Meltans into things...as well as explain what Shaymin is doing in Alola...

Last edited:

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
Sorry if i've been gone for a few days, i had to deal with my life for a bit there.

But there's still one question i have to ask: Do any of you expect any First party characters at all in the fighter's pass?

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Sorry if i've been gone for a few days, i had to deal with my life for a bit there.

But there's still one question i have to ask: Do any of you expect any First party characters at all in the fighter's pass?
Honestly, I'm starting to lose optimism. It's really starting to feel like they are just sticking with third parties, which is honestly a shame. I don't really have much to base this on other than my gut, so I'm more than happy to be proven wrong.

For anyone who was around during Brawl's time, all I can think of is the skit with Kirby and the third parties from Smash Kingdom. Unfortunately, we don't have an edgy and vulgar late 2000's Kirby to speak up and say that there's a limit on how many third parties there should be. I miss the days when a third party was exciting for being a third party.

Last edited:

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin

I still think it's highly likely. We have such a small sample size so far that, honestly, all the talk of how DLC must be nothing but guest fighters feels like a knee-jerk reaction. Especially considering how much more costly and time-consuming it is to set up the licensing for third party fighters, and how there're still a good handful of viable first party options whose numbers grow with each new major game release. The whole "bottom of the barrel" talk falls flat when you actually look in the barrel for more than just a passing glance!

If I had to guess, the reason we've heard rumblings of only third party characters so far is probably because they had to be set up much further in advance, due to having so many more hoops to jump through. That much more time for rumors to circulate, y'see. Any first party stuff was either ironed out more recently (read: November) or doesn't leak as often since fewer chains of communication are necessary to get them going.

Last edited:

CureParfait

Smash Ace

I do expect first party characters in the fighter's pass since I only see Nintendo picking two third party characters including Joker at maximum. I also won't be surprised if it turns out that Joker is the only third party character in the fighter's pass.

Last edited:

Joinallthreacs.smash

Smash Journeyman

I expect at least one, there is no way there won't be any, Nintendo just has so many. However, i think it will be another Corrin situation, with the most likely first party Characters being Lycanroc and Sylux, which if one got in, they would have resentment, but we could se 2 first party's, but im not excepting it. I think we are getting 2 third parties, maybe 3 , but no way is the whole pass is third party

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Lmao, the general thread got locked, so now I’m here.

Do any of you expect any First party characters at all in the fighter's pass?
I expect at least 1 Nintendo newcomer, and think that 2 is also possible,

I understand where people are going with the idea of third parties, but I do think it’s a bit of a knee jerk reaction to Reggie’s recent statement among rumors and the idea that Nintendo is wants to try to grab all these third parties at once for DLC. I don’t necessarily agree with that. Other than Joker and potentially Erdrick, we don’t really have a clue on how the rest will turn out. I do think that with all the hassle with gaining third party characters and having to split up profits for every one of them, I do think Nintendo would suggest at least 1 of their own characters to join. Is it possible that Nintendo goes all third party? Yes it is, but it’s also possible that it could be mostly third party, and some are first party characters.

I also agree with Delz on the whole “bottom of the barrel” arguement. Sure potential first party characters most likely won’t have the star power that some other third parties may have, but there’s definitely a few that would still be hype at least for the Nintendo crowd and aren’t low quality that some people may make them out to be, and it’s also mostly subjective. Isaac and Rex are good examples of very popular first parties that would fit well for Smash with interesting mechanics and moveset, Elma gets a lot of mentions as well and work just as well with an interesting moveset and with a more different design compared to other Nintendo characters.

...and we have Lycanroc, who is a popular Gen 7 pokemon with many ways to diversify itself and bring an interesting moveset. Some people may not be hyped with Lycanroc, but you can’t really say that someone like Lycanroc, or any potential first party character is a “bad” choice because of that, and there is a group that would definitely still hyped and interested in said character.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I don't even think they need to rely on characters that would result in millions of "OMG THIRD-PARTY SERIES IN SMASH SO HYPE" posts on social media. Many people will still buy the DLC just because they want to or have to (getting the fighter's pass regardless of Sakurai's comment, wanting your Switch to be a tournament setup).

Hell, I've always thought the pass was perfect for characters that would be more niche than the likes of Cloud.

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
So, the talk of a Direct potentially happening today fell though. And yet...

Maybe it was just pushed back a week or something?

Lmao, the general thread got locked, so now I’m here.
They locked it?

What happened? There aren't even any new rumors going around!

Last edited:

Joinallthreacs.smash

Smash Journeyman
So, the talk of a Direct potentially happening today fell though. And yet...
Maybe it was just pushed back a week or something
They may have done this because....

1. There could have an error with editing and they need more time to fix it
Or maybe
2. Joker is now in a playable state and they are putting in a game play trailer for him

Seems plausible. Just throwing ideas out there

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
They may have done this because....

1. There could have an error with editing and they need more time to fix it
Or maybe
2. Joker is now in a playable state and they are putting in a game play trailer for him

Seems plausible. Just throwing ideas out there
Realistically? Probably some kind of logistical hangup. A trailer that wasn't ready in time, or content from a third party/indie developer that was miscommunicated and wasn't caught until late. I doubt it was held back for reasons related to Smash.

That is, if there really has been a delay. We don't know for sure; we can only speculate.

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
Since there has been a lot of discussion about getting a Dragon Quest Character into smash, namely Erdrick (something that would go along with Vergeben's claims of another Square Enix rep), i decided to look more into the character and what i found out was how much i underestimated Dragon Quest's popularity in japan. Namely how the release of the earlier dragon quest games were just as big if not bigger than pokemon itself at launch. And a lot of adults would recognise dragon quest before other gaming characters or franchises. So much so that Erdrick, from what i've seen, has more right to be in smash than Cloud, especially since it was the first 3 Dragon Quest games that made that huge impact in Japan and was basically the birth of the rpg genre, before Final Fantasy existed. And of course because Cloud isn't related to nintendo directly.

And Erdrick is the icon of the 3 dragon quest games: being a legend in the first 2 games and then the main protagonist in the 3rd. So Erdrick is to Japan what Simon Belmont is to us.

Top Bottom