• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Day, Night, and Dusk - Lycanroc for Smash Bros. Ultimate

Joinallthreacs.smash

Smash Journeyman
For me, how many "essential" characters there are is more important than popularity. People claim Fire Emblem isn't popular enough for all those characters, yet I don't think more popular series need as many characters. Animal Crossing is fine, Splatoon doesn't really need Octoling but it would be a nice bonus, Kirby just needs Bandana Dee, DK just needs Dixie.
You left out Legend of Zelda, it needs a few Newcomers, the Champions perhaps. I will say that Pokemon and Mario are justified more Characters, because they are just so big and are Nintendo's flagships. The less "reped" Franchises Just aren't big enough, maybe Pikmin is due another Newcomer, but I will say a Star Fox Newcomer, if it is Slippy seems inviatble

Last edited:

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
You left out Legend of Zelda, it needs a few Newcomers, the Champions perhaps. I will say that Pokemon and Mario are justified more Characters, because they are just so big and are Nintendo's flagships. The less "reped" Franchises Just aren't big enough, maybe Pikmin is due another Newcomer, but I will say a Star Fox Newcomer, if it is Slippy seems inviatble
Careful. Characters aren't chosen based on which series is in need of "representation". We shouldn't build our arguments on such things.

So I've been thinking lately about the whole "how would a quadruped interact with certain items if they can't rely on vines or Looney Tunes logic" thing. One issue I've seen brought up before is regarding the hammer items, and how exactly the Midday and Dusk forms would swing it in a way that doesn't break immersion. Well, what if they still held the hammers in their mouths, and just swung the hammers horizontally and had different hitboxes on the swings than everyone else as a deliberate point of uniqueness? We've seen characters deviate from the norm in item animations before--shout out to Mewtwo "holding" items by levitating them, and the guillotine-like motion he uses for his Beam Sword fsmash in Melee! And it's not like Smash is any stranger to unique Hammer animations, what with Wario standing sideways and leaning over, Pit doing a 2 frame animation as a nod to the original Kid Icarus, and Dedede straight up dual wielding! Why not play up the unusual build even further by deliberately having certain item hitboxes be different?

You could even carry that over into other weapon-based items. How about doing a frontflip into an overhead swing during the smash animations on the Beam Sword or Home Run Bat?

Last edited:

Joinallthreacs.smash

Smash Journeyman
Careful. Characters aren't chosen based on which series is in need of "representation". We shouldn't build our arguments on such things.

I guess your right, litteraly everyother YouTuber ive seen thinks in reps, but due to the massive success of BoTW it makes sense to add a new Zelda Character, and Zelda is also a senior Nintendo franchse i AND it hasn't gotten a real Newcomer since meelee, i think due to success of it, that it might make, just a little sense. I hate thinking of reps, so when you pointed out what I said i was very shameful, because i personally hate thinking in terms of reps

So I've been thinking lately about the whole "how would a quadruped interact with certain items if they can't rely on vines or Looney Tunes logic" thing. One issue I've seen brought up before is regarding the hammer items, and how exactly the Midday and Dusk forms would swing it in a way that doesn't break immersion. Well, what if they still held the hammers in their mouths, and just swung the hammers horizontally and had different hitboxes on the swings than everyone else as a deliberate point of uniqueness? We've seen characters deviate from the norm in item animations before--shout out to Mewtwo "holding" items by levitating them, and the guillotine-like motion he uses for his Beam Sword fsmash in Melee! And it's not like Smash is any stranger to unique Hammer animations, what with Wario standing sideways and leaning over, Pit doing a 2 frame animation as a nod to the original Kid Icarus, and Dedede straight up dual wielding! Why not play up the unusual build even further by deliberately having certain item hitboxes be different?
If you didn't already know, Pichu weilds items with it's mouth. This idea is very cool, and is different from the way Pichu hold items, but still is similar to the foundations established in how Pichu holds items and you took it and applied it to A quadreped, it is brilliant.

I am very sorry if this sounds super fanboyish.

I also have an idea for a stage, Aether Foundation, ultra beasts as stage haszards

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
You left out Legend of Zelda, it needs a few Newcomers
I can only see the following happen:
  • Skull Kid: Popular request
  • Toon Zelda: Planned to be in Brawl, Zelda has the Phantom, Japanese/kid-targeted marketing prefers using Toon LoZ designs
  • Tetra: Assumed to be planned in Brawl as "Toon Sheik", could be part of Toon Zelda's moveset.

Joinallthreacs.smash

Smash Journeyman
I can only see the following happen:
  • Skull Kid: Popular request
  • Toon Zelda: Planned to be in Brawl, Zelda has the Phantom, Japanese/kid-targeted marketing prefers using Toon LoZ designs
  • Tetra: Assumed to be planned in Brawl as "Toon Sheik", could be part of Toon Zelda's moveset.

Impa is a recurring Character

Plus Tingle helmed some spin-offs.

Really, Nintendo could put anyone in they want

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Impa is a recurring Character

Plus Tingle helmed some spin-offs.

Really, Nintendo could put anyone in they want
Okay, I forgot about Impa somehow. Also, Tingle might be doubtful because they didn't release the Tingle games in America because of his unpopularity here.

RandomAce

Smash Champion

You could even carry that over into other weapon-based items. How about doing a frontflip into an overhead swing during the smash animations on the Beam Sword or Home Run Bat?
Honestly, I do think that the “item” arguement was a moot point to begin with. And I think the team would be fine by giving the Midday and Dusk forms a couple of changes regarding items if needed since I doubt it would be a huge game changer.

But I think it’s actually plausible.

Last edited:

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Merry Christmas!

I can’t do much myself, but I said I was doing a fan art for Midday and so here we are.

57213C57-D325-43D5-8886-5A067621FFC8.jpeg

(Credit to Ivan Jhang)

This is another art piece by Ivan, and he does one of the best Lycanroc fan art out there. He really does Lycanroc justice and look even cooler in my opinion, and Midday here is no exception. Anime Midday is lit.

3AD2CD82-A834-4FC2-9E20-AD1AC45FEE63.jpeg

(Credit to Malina)

This is one of the few things Midday has the upper hand on both Dusk and Midnight, this just existing. Malina is someone in the art community known for making hand made posable pokemon plushies and she made one for Midday. It’s REALLY good, but there’s only one and sadly the other two forms don’t have any.
———————————————————

All in all, there are some Midday fans here (most notably Del) so I wanted to do a day just for Midday since I feel that he’s the least talked out of the three. Midday in my opinion is a good example of Less = More, where he has a simple design but he still looks awesome and doesn’t really need to be over complicated.

The whole Lycanroc line is a good example of that actually.

Last edited:

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
If you got to pick 2 Pokemon you could put in to Smash besides Lycanroc who would you add?
Decidueye (for being an archer, plant user, and having ghost powers) and Cubone (for being a personal favourite of mine, an important character in Gen 1, my go-to character in the first mystery dungeon, being a ground-type, and using a club as his primary weapon).

Honourable mentions to Sceptile and Snorlax.

Maikou

Smash Ace
In a vacuum...I think Joker alone is too small of a sample size to get any accurate read on how the rest of the Fighter Pass will go. All Reggie really did was reiterate that it's all newcomers from here on out; we've already established that the "all from franchises new to Smash" line didn't actually happen. Speculators have a habit of taking the most recent reveal and extrapolating from it, expecting future reveals to take whatever just happened and escalate it, but as we know, it rarely works out that way.

World of Light is...interesting. It's something close to Edge Master mode from the original Soul Calibur, if you can remember that. The sheer number of fights you have to go through means you'll get burnt out if you binge it, but it's something to grind out over time.

Far as music goes, my new highlights so far are Crocodile Cacophony, Destiny (Ablaze), and the remix of Kass' theme. I'm also pretty partial to a few of the Castlevania covers. Though the new Pokémon tracks are...very hit and miss for me. The only ones that feel like straight up improvements are the two from ORAS!
I actually don't mind the constant Spirit battles, even in longer play sessions, for the most part. Of course, while I'm mostly just shattering faces with Pichu, I've been keeping things fresh by playing a number of different characters every so often. Lucario, Pokemon Trainer, Young Link, Zelda, Marth, and Chrom have been my favorite non-Pichu heroes so far. Lucario and PT are kind of obvious, with one being my former main and both being Pokemon fighters, but Zelda is incredibly fun to shatter fools with as well. Marth and Chrom are mostly characters I'm good with who I use more for story reasons. For example, I rescued Lucina with Marth(Self-explanatory for the most part), and the Mii Swordfighter with Lucario (based on my stories, where Lucario is the character's mentor). I think that's part of the fun, my ideas just flow so easily through the scenarios created by the game's choice of Spirits and the conditions of the battle.

I never played Edge Master, but Soul Calibur II's Weapon Master mode is pretty similar. Very unique fights, each containing a bit of story to it that makes writing a story from it very easy. It's almost like a beginner's handicap in a way, though the training wheels will come off of that one once I finish Chapter 10. Such is the mind of a dedicated writer.....even if one who really needs to get back to practicing.....

I also love the Castlevania music, but then, who doesn't? I especially love Twilight Stigmata and Divine Bloodlines, and I'm glad Monster Dance gets some proper representation. Bloody Tears is great, don't get me wrong, but that doesn't mean its counterpart is in any way unworthy. I haven't listened to many of the new Pokemon remixes yet, though Battle at the Summit seems to be just as awesome as it's supposed to be. I'm more in awe of the re-translated song titles, like how they fixed Eternal Bond and changed "Poke Floats" to the more accurate Red/Blue Battle Theme Medley, among others. Though that does leave a few untouched titles frustrating, like "Against the Dark Knight."

So, funny story. The answer to this issue has been staring us in the face with adorable red eyes since Brawl: Ivysaur. We kept bringing up that Ivy can use his vines for items, but he actually generally doesn't! Ivy just bites the Ray Gun to fire it, and like Pikachu wields melee weapons with his mouth. I think there's at least a few where he uses his vines, but there are plenty of examples where he doesn't. I do love the image of a wolf doing a flip-slash with a lightsaber though. It's like the secondary definition of Bada** Adorable, right under everything that is Pichu, Pikachu, Squirtle, and to an extent Lucario.
If you got to pick 2 Pokemon you could put in to Smash besides Lycanroc who would you add?
Am I using up my 2 choices if they'd be a duo fighter?
Definitely the important questions here. I honestly feel that of all Pokemon, Umbreon and Espeon can work well as fighters, especially an Ice Climbers-type deal. Umbreon and Espeon together have everything they need to be unique, fun characters in Smash, and they can represent Double Battles since the other Pokemon are all single or a tag-team deal. Both can learn Psychic, which has sometimes been portrayed as telekinesis in the anime, which takes care of items and their throws, as well as Shadow Ball, which can work as a neutral special. They'd be sort of a combined reversal of Sheik/Zelda with some traits of the Ice Climbers, with Espeon being a faster, ranged attacker who's lightweight, while Umbreon would be slower in movement, with more of a focus on melee attacks and debilitating the enemy.

More than that, I feel that Umbreon and Espeon would have the best chances of any pre-Gen VII newcomer at this point in time. They are easily THE most popular Eeveelutions, and if Ash were ever allowed to have a freaking Eevee, it would probably become an Espeon to contrast Gary and Gladion, who both have Umbreon, giving them relevence. Of course, this asks the show to actually let Pikachu's officially designated partner join the main character we're obviously never going to not have, preferably for more than one region. I mean, it's only the absolute freaking perfect time to give Ash an Eevee, given the themes, and the style of the show allowing for a decent amount of focus, especially if, say, it were to accompany him to at least one more region as Aipom did, preferably without being traded, but, y'know, whatever. Totes fine. Tooooootally.

I'm not salty at all. YOU'RE the one being defensive!

*cough*

That got off-topic, I'm sorry. Anyway, besides the best Eeveelutions, I'd want Braixen in, honestly. I know that as a middle-stage Pokemon, it's not at its full potential in terms of power, but technically neither are Pichu, Pikachu, Jigglypuff, Squirtle, or Ivysaur. And while I'd like to see Delphox, Braixen being more popular is undeniable, and I have to admit to having some bias. Braixen is the same brand of adorable face-breaker as the Eevees and Pikachu, and I have a preference for younger characters, on top of Pokken Braixen being really fun and really cool. Most of my other choices are obvious picks, like other Starters, or popular non-starters like Cubone/Marowak. Though I also really like the idea of a playable Sawsbuck for some reason. Maybe mine was just that awesome....

Joinallthreacs.smash

Smash Journeyman
Am I using up my 2 choices if they'd be a duo fighter?
No, not at all, im fact it could even be a trio or quadrio, AND, it could be on spot

I also found a thread for creating a classic mode for your most wanted, if you want me to post a link for it, tell me

Last edited:

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
Hm. Well, I've had ideas for my fair share, so it's hard to narrow it down to just two.

Back during Smash 4 speculation, there were a couple I pulled for. Sceptile seemed like an interesting option, as a character returning to relevance with plant powers on a roster that didn't have any. I was also waving the banner for Delphox as a potential long shot DLC pick--Smash is still lacking in magic users, and there was potential there for a speedier zoner with unique properties through moves like Future Sight.

More recently, Gen 7 sparked a lot of ideas for me at a point where I was first beginning to make character concepts. I have a really interesting one for Alolan Ninetales lying around, built around using the move Mist to create clouds of passive healing that could also be used to fuel enhanced versions of her other specials. I also have a very basic Silvally concept, for a well-balanced fighter who'd use the RKS System to switch between Fire, Water, Grass, and Electric elements and alter the properties of a few of its moves with each. And then there's the off-the-wall Kommo-o concept that kind of built itself over time, a heavyweight zone breaker who uses the Bulletproof trait to armor through weak projectiles while also having many ways to alter stats (since the Jangmo-o line learns a lot of buffing moves naturally). And despite the whole rivalry we had (and technically still have?), I don't mind Decidueye all that much.

If we're talking earlier gens, I have a really vague Suicune concept. A very unconventional heavyweight zoner with a defensive focus, built to survive and outlast opponents. Even had an idea for Mirror Coat as a pseudo-reflector that'd block projectiles and then retaliate back with new ones!

But if we're talking favorites, then the biggest pipe dream of the all is Absol. Imagine being able to foresee one of a few natural disasters and then have it come to pass a few seconds later!

No, not at all, im fact it could even be a trio or quadrio, AND, it could be on spot
I believe the term you're looking for there is "quartet", like in music.

Incorrect. It fires by lifting the gun up from its mouth using the vines and firing with the vines.
That's correct, actually. I got curious and checked in Training about a week ago.

So it still stands that we've never seen a character operate shooting weapons with just their mouths. However, we've also never seen a character who needed to, and with what other creative liberties we've seen them take for other characters interacting with items, I still strongly doubt it'd be a deal breaker.

Joinallthreacs.smash

Smash Journeyman
But if we're talking favorites, then the biggest pipe dream of the all is Absol. Imagine being able to foresee one of a few natural disasters and then have it come to pass a few seconds later!

Sounds cool, Absol could even use Pyscho Cut as Side B.

Though I also really like the idea of a playable Sawsbuck for some reason.

Having a momentum releasing charge as neatural Special or Side Special is cool.

Dragonite and Corsola.

Any reason why???. Dragonite using Dragon Punch for nuetral special sound cool.

And for my own, I like Gengar he could have a zoner playstyle.

Sceptile and Decidueye have grass powers but would have very different playstyles.

Sceptile would have like a cookie cutter playstyle and would feel like he was right out of a slasher movie

Decidueye would be a zoner And he would have a side specail like Ridley except he grabs with his feet.

I also think Castform would be so coo, he could switch between the different forms for his specials.

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
Alright. With what we know now of how spirits work, here's a little thought experiment:

What spirit battles would you like to see that'd feature Lycanroc as the character used to represent them?

Joinallthreacs.smash

Smash Journeyman
Alright. With what we know now of how spirits work, here's a little thought experiment:

What spirit battles would you like to see that'd feature Lycanroc as the character used to represent them?

Rockruff : tiny Lycanroc, x4, condition : defeat an army of enemies

And

Spire : gaint Lycanroc, enemy has super armor and is slow, Stamina battle, enemy starts with a ore club

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719

I would actually change some of the spirit battles that already exist, namely Master Beast, Absol, Houndoom.

RandomAce

Smash Champion

I feel like a lot of canine related Pokémon would work well for Lycanroc. Houndoom, Mighthyena, Arcanine, and some others I’m missing.

I want to bring up AlphaSSB AlphaSSB ‘s alts that he did for Lycanroc where he referenced several canine Pokémon. Since Sakurai mentioned that Incineroar’s Purple color scheme was picked solely for Big The Cat’s spirit battle, some of Lycanroc’s alts could be based off them.

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
Since Sakurai mentioned that Incineroar’s Purple color scheme was picked solely for Big The Cat’s spirit battle, some of Lycanroc’s alts could be based off them.
Wait, has that been confirmed? Are you sure that isn't just hearsay?

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Wait, has that been confirmed? Are you sure that isn't just hearsay?
Uhh, is that from the famitsu collum ?????????
I think it was in a famitsu column, or some sort of interview.

I’m not sure which one is was, but it was when Sakurai mentioned spirits and how some characters had alts or colors specifically for some of them, more so Incineroar had a Big the Cat color scheme for his spirit.

Last edited:

Joinallthreacs.smash

Smash Journeyman
I think it was in a famitsu column, or some sort of interview.

I’m not sure which one is was, but it was when Sakurai mentioned spirits and how some characters had alts or colors specifically for some of them, more so Incineroar had a Big the Cat color scheme for his spirit.
If so, then Lycanroc could have a Black alt for the improved Houndoom spirit battle

RandomAce

Smash Champion
If so, then Lycanroc could have a Black alt for the improved Houndoom spirit battle
I think Houndoom and Arcanine can share the same idea where their rule set would be:

-Lycanroc with Houndoom/Arcanine Alt.
-Lycanroc has Spicy Curry to emulate fire.

Another idea is Manectric. Where this time the rule set would be:

-Lycanroc with Manectric Alt
-Platforms have Electricity that can damage you.
-Stamina Battle

And finally one for Zoroark:

-Lycanroc with Zoroark Alt
-Stage becomes Dark and Lycanroc becomes invisible sometimes.

I think the Zoroark one fits Midnight more. Either way, coming up with these are pretty fun.

Last edited:

Joinallthreacs.smash

Smash Journeyman
I can feel like Houndoom and Arcanine can share the same idea where their rule set would be:

-Lycanroc with Houndoom/Arcanine Alt.
-Lycanroc has Spicy Curry on to emulate fire.

Another idea is Manectric. Where this time the rule set would be:

-Lycanroc with Manectric Alt
-Platforms have Electricity that can damage you.
-Stamina Battle

And finally one for Zoroark:

-Lycanroc with Zoroark Alt
-Stage becomes Dark and Lycanroc becomes hard to see.

I think the Zoroark one fits Midnight more. Either way, coming up with these are pretty fun.
One cool idea, I had was for a Spire spirit battle using Lycanroc

Spire is from Metriod if you didn't know

RandomAce

Smash Champion
One cool idea, I had was for a Spire spirit battle using Lycanroc

Spire is from Metriod if you didn't know
Care to explain on how it would work?

Based on the name, I would assume it would take place on a Metroid Stage and have Lycanroc use something like Stone Edge for an Up-Smash or Down Smash, and have those moves be buffed and used constantly.

Last edited:

Joinallthreacs.smash

Smash Journeyman
Care to explain on how it would work?

Based on the name, I would assume it would take place on a Metroid Stage and have Lycanroc use something like Stone Edge for an Up-Smash or Down Smash, and have those moves be buffed and used constantly.
Lycanroc would start with an ore club, that he swings, and he Really likes stone edge, after a while, stone edge is buffed.

The fight is on Brainstar

Lycanroc is also gaint

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
Was there any music you wish got in smash but didn't? My songs are:
-Adventure's end. (Mario & Luigi Dream Team).
-Showdown: Lusamine & Battle: Guzma.
-Clock Town/End of the World. (The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask).
-Twilight of the Gods. (Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia).
-Battle: Ultra Necrozma.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Team Skull Battle, and Uncontrollable from Xenoblade X. That’s really it for me, I’m not that invested in music.
———————————————————-

Anyways, does anyone how the anime is going so far, and if anything new has been done with Lycanroc?

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Team Skull Battle, and Uncontrollable from Xenoblade X. That’s really it for me, I’m not that invested in music.
———————————————————-

Since we’re in 2019 now, does anyone how the anime is going so far, and if anything new has been done with Lycanroc?
Lycanroc is most likely keeping its role as ace unless something completely bizarre happens.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Work Those Muscles! (WarioWare Gold)
Battle: Ultra Necrozma
Street Fighter songs that aren't from SF2
More Rhythm Heaven songs

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Lycanroc is most likely keeping its role as ace unless something completely bizarre happens.
I checked and so far nothing really happened.

-Ash’s Pikachu had a battle against Zeraora, who is actually owned by another Trainer.

-Later on Ash’s Rowlet went against Hau’s Dartrix.

-Ash and the gang meet Misty.

-And finally an upcoming episode, 103, has Olivia falling in love with Brock and vise versa (about time Brock got loved).

Also Midday is gonna show up in that same episode! Probably not in a big role, but at least he (she?) appears again.

EDIT: Oh, and apparently Eevee is going to evolve soon as well. I mentioned this since an Eevee fan here that might be interested. Although some speculate that Eevee may evolve into a new Eeveelution (although I doubt it).

Last edited:

GlaceonGD

Smash Cadet

-Ash’s Pikachu had a battle against Zeraora, who is actually owned by another Trainer.

-And finally an upcoming episode, 103, has Olivia falling in love with Brock and vise versa (about time Brock got loved).

Also Midday is gonna show up in that same episode! Probably not in a big role, but at least he (she?) appears again.

EDIT: Oh, and apparently Eevee is going to evolve soon as well. I mentioned this since an Eevee fan here that might be interested. Although some speculate that Eevee may evolve into a new Eeveelution (although I doubt it).
If I'm the eevee fan you're referring to I don't actually watch the anime, though I tried a few episodes when I was younger which is ironically the reason eevee is my favorite (gee thanks Virgil). Personally, I feel that evolving the eevee defeats the whole purpose of its inclusion unless it does become a new eeveelution, because your starter in let's go can't evolve. Giving it to a side character that's getting thrown out of the show as soon as the next gen comes around doesn't exactly make me happy either.

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
Work Those Muscles! (WarioWare Gold)
Battle: Ultra Necrozma
Street Fighter songs that aren't from SF2
More Rhythm Heaven songs
Those are some good ones. Well, I don't know the Warioware one, but the others!

Haven't really thought the hardest about which music tracks I still want, but off the top of my head:

- What Lies at the End (Shadows of Valentia)
- End of All (FE Fates)
- No Justice (Fates)
- Mind in a PROGRAM (Kirby: Planet Robobot)
- Lorule Castle (A Link Between Worlds)
- vs. Vah Naboris (Breath of the Wild)
- Victory Road (Sun & Moon)

And I've always wanted to see a big, orchestral remastering of Primal Dialga's theme, to truly reimagine it as the final boss music it presents itself as. Haven't yet found a remix that does it exactly how I've imagined it, though.

Yeah, the anime's kept things pretty casual for the last few months. Apparently they're close to starting an arc in Poni Island soon, so it'll be work keeping tabs on to see how things develop.

Where did you hear about Lana's Eevee potentially evolving? Are you sure it wasn't just some rumor?

Top Bottom