• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Day, Night, and Dusk - Lycanroc for Smash Bros. Ultimate

Joinallthreacs.smash

Smash Journeyman
Frankly I think he was just flinging buzzwords around. Of course the DLC fighters are all gonna be new, they can't make veteran DLC for this game. Also I think it was Nintendo of Japan that chose the DLC.
I think that NoA had a hand in choosing the fighters, after all a lot of their sales come from America.

Lets shift gears, I made a classic mode concept for Lycanroc. Hope you like it

Fight 1: :ultgreninja: on Kalos Pokemon league
Fight 2: orange or brown:ultwolf:, White Lycanroc Alt on Unova Pokemon League, free for all.
Fight 3: :ultlucario:on Sinoh Pokemon League(or whatever its called)
Fight 4::ultincineroar:, Green:ultpit: and Brownish :ultpichu: free for all on Kalos Pokemon league omega form.
Fight 5: :ultpokemontrainer:on Pokemon Stadium
Fight 6::ultjigglypuff::ultpikachu:on Saffron City teammate is :ultincineroar:
Bonus Game
Fight 8: :ultmewtwo:,:ultpokemontrainer:(yellow, black alt)team fight, team mate is:ultincineroar:, then you fight Rathalos boss, (and you do this on FD

Last edited:

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
Frankly I think he was just flinging buzzwords around. Of course the DLC fighters are all gonna be new, they can't make veteran DLC for this game. Also I think it was Nintendo of Japan that chose the DLC.
From Sakurai's tweets, he said the selectioon was indeed made by nintendo, but Sakurai ultimately chose 5 from nintendo's picks to work with. So it all boiled down to whether sakurai wanted to work on a character or not from nintendo's selection. And i'm sure we were talking about whether all dlc characters will be from new franchises only, something that i dissagree with. There should be a dlc fighter from a familiar nintendo series at the very least to not alienate people against third party additions.
I think that NoA had a hand in choosing the fighters, after all a lot of their sales come from America.
That's yet to be seen, and while there could be some merit to that point, i'm very doubtful about Nintendo of America being a big influence of the dlc, because Nintendo tends to favor Japan more. And while they have opened up more to America by including Rildey, Dark Samus and King K Rool, we don't really have a clue as to what the future of dlc will look like.

Last edited:

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Do we know Lycanroc's approximate popularity in the west? He's fairly popular in Japan (judging by the Nintendo Dream poll), but we don't really have anyway of knowing.

I imagine he's much more popular with people who watch the anime than people who don't, similar to how Sceptile has the most popular Gen 3 starter for people who watched the anime, while Blaziken was a little more popular for people only played the games.

Joinallthreacs.smash

Smash Journeyman
Anyone else, when they wake up to get ready in the morning, find them selves just mindlessly walking to the 3DS and stoping your self from beatinh Pokemon Sun for the 14th time, anyone else

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Do we know Lycanroc's approximate popularity in the west? He's fairly popular in Japan (judging by the Nintendo Dream poll), but we don't really have anyway of knowing.

I imagine he's much more popular with people who watch the anime than people who don't, similar to how Sceptile has the most popular Gen 3 starter for people who watched the anime, while Blaziken was a little more popular for people only played the games.
From what I’ve seen, Lycanroc is pretty popular in the West. Though it’s not definitive, I’m pretty sure a lot of people are cool with Lycanroc, they weren’t outright hated when they were first revealed and they had a lot of support.

The only one that had a mix reception was Dusk, and a lot of people memed the hell out of how copy-pasted it looked at first. But a lot of the hate dissolved since then and it’s just as liked from the fan base as the other two forms.

Another way to tell is I guess are the merchandise sales. Apparently, Lycanroc had a lot of plushies sold worldwide (and was at the top at one point, but I need to see).

Anyone else, when they wake up to get ready in the morning, find them selves just mindlessly walking to the 3DS and stoping your self from beatinh Pokemon Sun for the 14th time, anyone else
I didn’t even finish my first full play through, lol.

I’ll have to get back to it though.

Last edited:

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin

It's hard to get a gauge on it, but for what it's worth, there was that thing that made the rounds a year and half or so ago where people listed their favorite 'mons of each type. Results for the thing were posted eventually, with Lycanroc taking 2nd and 3rd among Rock types, losing only to perennial competitive powerhouse Tyranitar. And that was before the Dusk form was revealed, so even back then there was a presence.

Hard to say where they ranked outside of typing since the survey didn't seem to track that, but it's an interesting take, especially since it actually spread far enough that it wasn't limited by a small sample size.

From what I’ve seen, Lycanroc is pretty popular in the West. Though it’s not definitive, I’m pretty sure a lot of people are cool with Lycanroc, they weren’t outright hated when they were first revealed and they had a lot of support.

The only one that had a mix reception was Dusk, and a lot of people memed the hell out of how copy-pasted it looked at first. But a lot of the hate dissolved since then and it’s just as liked from the fan base as the other two forms.

Another way to tell is I guess are the merchandise sales. Apparently, Lycanroc had a lot of plushies sold worldwide (and was at the top at one point, but I need to see).
Yeah, seems like the only backlash we've seen toward Lycanroc was the Dusk form being a scapegoat for a lack of USUM news for a little while. That only lasted until we actually got more substantial USUM news, though.

And I don't know how well Lycanroc merch has sold (Is there a way to track it?), but a lot of it was made for sure. The Dusk form in particular has been up there with the starters, Alolan Vulpix, Mimikyu, et al when it comes to being marketed.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
It's hard to get a gauge on it, but for what it's worth, there was that thing that made the rounds a year and half or so ago where people listed their favorite 'mons of each type. Results for the thing were posted eventually, with Lycanroc taking 2nd and 3rd among Rock types, losing only to perennial competitive powerhouse Tyranitar. And that was before the Dusk form was revealed, so even back then there was a presence.

Hard to say where they ranked outside of typing since the survey didn't seem to track that, but it's an interesting take, especially since it actually spread far enough that it wasn't limited by a small sample size.

Yeah, seems like the only backlash we've seen toward Lycanroc was the Dusk form being a scapegoat for a lack of USUM news for a little while. That only lasted until we actually got more substantial USUM news, though.

And I don't know how well Lycanroc merch has sold (Is there a way to track it?), but a lot of it was made for sure. The Dusk form in particular has been up there with the starters, Alolan Vulpix, Mimikyu, et al when it comes to being marketed.
Midday got 2nd?

Y’know, I feel like Midday kinda gets thrown under the bush sometimes. I guess it’s design is the simplest out of the trio, but seeing this, I think some of us may have underestimated it’s potential likeness...

Maybe I should do a fan art day for Midday?

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
A small question sort of out of topic, who here is currently supporting more than 1 character? Cause i have 1-2 other characters i'm interested in supporting alongside Lycanroc.

And a more topical question, will this dlc wave be the only one for Ultimate? We know it would make too much sense to make more dlc, but Sakurai probably is getting tired of developing smash after how much Ultimate currently has. But we know now that Sakurai is letting a seperate team handle the game balancing, so there's a small chance that he could take half a step away from being directly involved in the dlc development.

At the very least i would love for a 2nd dlc wave to finish it all.

WaddleMatt

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 5950 1333 3717
A small question sort of out of topic, who here is currently supporting more than 1 character? Cause i have 1-2 other characters i'm interested in supporting alongside Lycanroc.

And a more topical question, will this dlc wave be the only one for Ultimate? We know it would make too much sense to make more dlc, but Sakurai probably is getting tired of developing smash after how much Ultimate currently has. But we know now that Sakurai is letting a seperate team handle the game balancing, so there's a small chance that he could take half a step away from being directly involved in the dlc development.

Mainly supporting my boys Bandana Dee and Isaac now with a bit of Lycanroc and Rhythm Girl sprinkled in.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam

I'm mostly focused on Lycanroc, but I'm also doing stuff here and there for Erdrick.

I'm really, really hoping they support Smash beyond the Fighter Pass. Sakurai said in the past that developing Smash for's DLC was much more manageable and enjoyable than the development of the base game, so perhaps he went in being a bit more ambitious knowing it would not be as taxing as developing these characters within a new game. I know Furukawa (the new President of Nintendo) would very much like this, as he said that extending the life of releases of regular DLC was going to be an emphasized business practice. The two factors that will influence whether DLC goes beyond the fighter pass is if Sakurai takes a break or leaves to pursue a new project instead.

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
I'm really, really hoping they support Smash beyond the Fighter Pass. Sakurai said in the past that developing Smash for's DLC was much more manageable and enjoyable than the development of the base game, so perhaps he went in being a bit more ambitious knowing it would not be as taxing as developing these characters within a new game. I know Furukawa (the new President of Nintendo) would very much like this, as he said that extending the life of releases of regular DLC was going to be an emphasized business practice. The two factors that will influence whether DLC goes beyond the fighter pass is if Sakurai takes a break or leaves to pursue a new project instead.
I do hope for that since i'm fearing that all the dlc in the fighter's pass will be only third parties, since they have quite the big impact more than a first party characters (at least from the ones that have yet to be deconfirmed). Ridley, King K Rool & Inkling are already in, so from what characters are left it would be difficult to top something like Cloud or Joker if it wasn't as big as a 3rd party character. And realisticly all first party characters would be anticipated to a certain extent unlike 3rd party reps.

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin

I have a couple more characters I'm pulling for at the moment. Though thanks to the murderers' row that was the AT reveals and Mii costumes, the only ones who aren't likely out of the running are Geno and [insert character from Fire Emblem: Three Houses here].

Honestly, I think it's too early to know for sure whether there'll be more DLC beyond this pass or not. Sakurai and the devs themselves probably won't decide for another several months, I'd bet. Though for what it's worth, datamining revealed that Ultimate already has placeholders for up to 30 more fighters (compared to Smash 4, which had no placeholders and required them to be added in), meaning they seem to at least be open to the idea.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I have a couple more characters I'm pulling for at the moment. Though thanks to the muderers' row that was the AT reveals and Mii costumes, the only ones who aren't likely out of the running are Geno and [insert character from Fire Emblem: Three Houses here].

Honestly, I think it's too early to know for sure whether there'll be more DLC beyond this pass or not. Sakurai and the devs themselves probably won't decide for another several months, I'd bet. Though for what it's worth, datamining revealed that Ultimate already has placeholders for up to 30 more fighters (compared to Smash 4, which had no placeholders and required them to be added in), meaning they seem to at least be open to the idea.
Personally, I hope they make use of how certain ATs are disabled under certain conditions like how Wii Fit Studio's mirror would make things too much to handle or the Moon already being present on the Great Bay.

Also, I believe it will be much longer until the next Smash game arrives, and there will be time to make at least one, maybe two extra seasons of DLC. I wouldn't expect a forth at all.

Last edited:

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868

The main characters I support are Bomberman, Vaati, and Krystal. As for DLC wave 2... I believe it's happening.

Joinallthreacs.smash

Smash Journeyman
I have a couple more characters I'm pulling for at the moment. Though thanks to the murderers' row that was the AT reveals and Mii costumes, the only ones who aren't likely out of the running are Geno and [insert character from Fire Emblem: Three Houses here].

dont you also support Celcia, becuase I have been watchig your videos, so arent you a support

Lycanroc is my most wanted but I also support
Captain Toad, Slippy Toad, Minecraft Steve and im opne to Vaati, Isaac, Kyrstal, Magolor and Ryu Hayubusa. My dream character is Hyness, i even made him a support thread.

I Really hope there is a second fighter pass.

GlaceonGD

Smash Cadet

Here on smash boards I've only ever voiced support in a thread for lycanroc, seeing as how the others I wanted at the time had been deconfirmed and I didn't want to get too involved in other threads. Characters I want in the game/support just not on the boards would be: Shovel Knight (I love the character's concept even though I've never played the game), Funky Kong (mainly for the meme), Rex and Pyra (not a huge want, just wouldn't mind having them in), Geno (a close friend really wants him added so I'd be all for it), Isaac (he looks cool, I know some people who want him and I'd be interested in trying out a character like that) and of course my most wanted character which I have stated time and time again, eevee (my favorite pokemon of all time, favorite nintendo character in general, and pretty much my inspiration for everything. I'm very upset with how it's been treated in the game so far, being the weakest primary spirit in the game and the second weakest pokeball summon). Pretty much any character that isn't one of these that get's added (with a few exceptions, depending on if certain 3rd parties I haven't considered get in) will be one I don't care about, and trust me I know I'm picky and have controversial opinions because people won't shut up about it in other places.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
If they made a Mystery Dungeon game for Switch, do you think Rockruff would be playable,
I think Rockruff stands a decent chance at being a possible playable character in a new Mystery Dungeon. He's the most likely non-starter from Gen 7 to get in. I could also see an NPC team consisting of all 3 of Lycanroc's forms or a Dusk Lycanroc that plays the cool mentor role that Absol and Grovyle played in previous games.

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
If they made a Mystery Dungeon game for Switch, do you think Rockruff would be playable,
Good question, honestly. It depends on when the next PMD game happens--if it happens--and how large the selection you get for your player character. I don't remember which non-starters Super Mystery Dungeon had available aside from Riolu, so could someone refresh my memory?

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Good question, honestly. It depends on when the next PMD game happens--if it happens--and how large the selection you get for your player character. I don't remember which non-starters Super Mystery Dungeon had available aside from Riolu, so could someone refresh my memory?
Super only had 2: Pikachu and Riolu. However, assuming that they bring back all starters plus Pikachu and Riolu that's already a selection of 23, which is kinda an awkward number. So maybe we'll be added to flesh out the playable characters and add some diversity in the types?

Joinallthreacs.smash

Smash Journeyman
Super only had 2: Pikachu and Riolu. However, assuming that they bring back all starters plus Pikachu and Riolu that's already a selection of 23, which is kinda an awkward number. So maybe we'll be added to flesh out the playable characters and add some diversity in the types?

I think if they have a class system in the next game, they could add 5 more playable Characters to have 9 Pokemon in each class. As for who they would add, they would most likely add Us, the gen 7 starters and Eevee.

Also, in SPMD it was just Pikachu and Riolu

Last edited:

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
So i forgot to ask a very important question. For those that have played smash ultimate, what's your opinion on how Incineroar plays? Do you like it's playstyle, dislike it, not your cup of tea, wasted potential, fun, suprised you, etc. I've yet to get a switch myself and i have been interested in trying Incineroar out thanks to various gameplay videos i've seen.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
So i forgot to ask a very important question. For those that have played smash ultimate, what's your opinion on how Incineroar plays? Do you like it's playstyle, dislike it, not your cup of tea, wasted potential, fun, suprised you, etc. I've yet to get a switch myself and i have been interested in trying Incineroar out thanks to various gameplay videos i've seen.
I haven't touched Incineroar and plan on keeping it that way.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
I kinda think he's lame. He's the slowest character in the game, so moving around with him doesn't feel as fun as it should be. I also feel that his attacks don't have the absurd damage that justifies his low speed. Likewise, his recovery is extremely awkward to use due to its weird angle. Not to step on the feet of people who like his playstyle, but he's a poor man's Ganondorf unless you're willing to play around with Revenge.

Joinallthreacs.smash

Smash Journeyman

I occasionally play as Incinerator, my favorite newcomer to play as is King K Rool

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
One other thing i would like for you to answer, do you think the dlc in the fighter's pass will be overun by 3rd party characters given the statement of Reggie + Joker potentially being the standard for future dlc?

And what are your thoughts on World of Light, the Bosses, the Spirits as a concept, the soundtrack overall + favorite remix? I've already seen most of it since those kinds of spoilers don't really bother me, mostly thanks to the lack of a story.
My favorite Song is either Battle (Elite Four)/ Battle (Solgaleo/Lunala), Battle Lorekeeper Zinnia, Ganglank Galleon, Breath of the Wild 2017 Trailer Theme and even the final boss themes. Safely i can say the soundtrack is the best it's ever been. Of course there's still a few stinkers, 2 from pokemon sadly, but they're very few amoung the other great songs.
I really want to try the Gannon and Marx Boss fights.

Last edited:

Joinallthreacs.smash

Smash Journeyman
One other thing i would like for you to answer, do you think the dlc in the fighter's pass will be overun by 3rd party characters given the statement of Reggie + Joker potentially being the standard for future dlc?

And what are your thoughts on World of Light, the Bosses, the Spirits as a concept, the soundtrack overall + favorite remix? I've already seen most of it since those kinds of spoilers don't really bother me, mostly thanks to the lack of a story.
My favorite Song is either Battle (Elite Four)/ Battle (Solgaleo/Lunala), Battle Lorekeeper Zinnia, Ganglank Galleon, Breath of the Wild 2017 Trailer Theme and even the final boss themes. Safely i can say the soundtrack is the best it's ever been. Of course there's still a few stinkers, 2 from pokemon sadly, but they're very few amoung the other great songs.
I really want to try the Gannon and Marx Boss fights.

1. I think there might be at least one 1st party, but it will most likely be third parties due to all the packs being the Same price

2. My favorite remix is Corneria, im a star fox fan, amd they nailed it, I love spirits as a concept and WoL is big and immserive and the bosses are..... I haven't fought all of them, my favorite is M***.

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin

In a vacuum...I think Joker alone is too small of a sample size to get any accurate read on how the rest of the Fighter Pass will go. All Reggie really did was reiterate that it's all newcomers from here on out; we've already established that the "all from franchises new to Smash" line didn't actually happen. Speculators have a habit of taking the most recent reveal and extrapolating from it, expecting future reveals to take whatever just happened and escalate it, but as we know, it rarely works out that way.

World of Light is...interesting. It's something close to Edge Master mode from the original Soul Calibur, if you can remember that. The sheer number of fights you have to go through means you'll get burnt out if you binge it, but it's something to grind out over time.

Far as music goes, my new highlights so far are Crocodile Cacophony, Destiny (Ablaze), and the remix of Kass' theme. I'm also pretty partial to a few of the Castlevania covers. Though the new Pokémon tracks are...very hit and miss for me. The only ones that feel like straight up improvements are the two from ORAS!

Last edited:

Joinallthreacs.smash

Smash Journeyman
Joker alone is too small of a sample size to get any accurate read on how the rest of the Fighter Pass will go

The price is the clue, in Smash 4 the third party Characters were around 6$, what price is all the dlc Characters in fighter pass, oh its 6$.

You know what it means.

Sorry if this comes off as aggressive

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
They confirmed it, yes, but unless your Lycanroc or a new Nintendo franchse than do you really have a chance if your a first party.

I don't wanna be aggressive
I see no reason why not? Unless you believe in the idea that Spirits deconfirm characters, there's no reason to disregard first parties beforehand (and even then Sylux and Porky are missing as Spirits that could make viable first party candidates)

Joinallthreacs.smash

Smash Journeyman
I see no reason why not? Unless you believe in the idea that Spirits deconfirm characters, there's no reason to disregard first parties beforehand (and even then Sylux and Porky are missing as Spirits that could make viable first party candidates)
I guess your right, hopefully we can see Lycanroc

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I wonder what some people in the “Spirits Deconfirm” sort of group think of Lycanroc seeing how none of the forms became Spirits.
I think they don't focus on Lycanroc because they don't expect another Gen 7 Pokemon, like to ignore how it got more promoted than Incineroar, and are probably too representation-obsessed to process the inclusion of another Pokemon, ignoring the fact that Metroid representation is more complete than Pokemon's.

Last edited:

Joinallthreacs.smash

Smash Journeyman
I think they don't focus on Lycanroc because they don't expect another Gen 7 Pokemon, like to ignore how it got more promoted than Incineroar, and are probably too representation-obsessed to process the inclusion of another Pokemon, ignoring the fact that Metroid representation is more complete than Pokemon's.

Hah, my thoughts exactly

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
I wonder what some people in the “Spirits Deconfirm” sort of group think of Lycanroc seeing how none of the forms became Spirits.
Yeah, that seems the gist of it. From what I've seen, most speculators are so dead set on the idea that we must be getting a Gen 8 character ASAP "to promote the games" that a lot of people haven't felt the need to hear out any arguments otherwise, despite the fact that such a situation has never actually happened before--even Corrin was attributed to it offhand when the truth is more complicated than that (like Fates being out in Japan more than half a year before Corrin got into Smash). Combined with the belief that Pokémon "has enough reps now" even though the roster isn't meant as a measure of which franchises matter more, and the all-too-frustrating belief that Lycanroc couldn't possibly be important enough to matter just because it's not a starter, and...well, it's a frustrating situation.

One of the worst feelings there is is feeling like you have something worth talking about, only for nearly everyone you talk to to refuse to even listen to what you have to say and just laugh and wave you off...and now we've found ourselves in that exact situation.

Damn it...

Last edited:

Joinallthreacs.smash

Smash Journeyman
One of the worst feelings there is is feeling like you have something worth talking about, only for everyone you talk to to be so utterly convinced they already know the truth beforehand that they refuse to even listen to what you have to say and just laugh and wave you off...and now we've found ourselves in that exact situation.

Damn it...

I know how it feels, no one will listen to me about Slippy Toad, Lycanroc or Prince Fluff, I just want them to know there not longshots, to my freind whenever i bring up Slippy in Smash he goes, "THAT WILL NEEEEVVVVAAAAAHHHH HAPPPEN". SAME with Lycanroc and Fluff

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Combined with the belief that Pokémon "has enough reps now" even though the roster isn't meant as a measure of which franchises matter more, and the all-too-frustrating belief that Lycanroc couldn't possibly be important enough to matter just because it's not a starter, and...well, it's a frustrating situation.

One of the worst feelings there is is feeling like you have something worth talking about, only for nearly everyone you talk to to refuse to even listen to what you have to say and just laugh and wave you off...and now we've found ourselves in that exact situation.

Damn it...
The whole “Rep” arguement sorta felt mute for me overtime.

I think what ends up becoming more important are the characters and what they can do. We’ve seen multiple instances where this is present, with Corrin being added despite the number of FE characters because of his moveset potential, and later on Chrom despite there being 6 FE characters already. Dark Samus still got in despite Ridley already joining for the fans. Geno is still wanted despite him technically being a Mario character with 9 already on the roster, Cloud was chosen solely because he was the big icon people connect FF with and was most wanted.

For me, I actually wanted Chrom in Smash Ultimate because I thought he was awesome and looked cool. I was hesitant on him though because I thought FE had enough characters, but when Chrom was revealed and I got to play as him, I didn’t care anymore about reps and stuff, I just wanted to play Chrom and I’m happy with that, and Sakurai seemed to have shared the same sentiment since Chrom was in because people actually wanted him. This also the same thing with Geno. People didn’t care about him being a Mario character, people think he’s awesome and want him in as a testament to what the dedication of fans can bring.

It’s the same thing I have with Lycanroc. I just want to play them and think they’re cool, and if Sakurai and the team looked back and were interested in making Lycanroc playable, chances are they will. And unlike Corrin, Lycanroc has popularity on their side along with a S/M stage and some tracks to work in.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
The whole “Rep” arguement sorta felt mute for me overtime.

I think what ends up becoming more important are the characters and what they can do. We’ve seen multiple instances where this is present, with Corrin being added despite the number of FE characters because of his moveset potential, and later on Chrom despite there being 6 FE characters already. Dark Samus still got in despite Ridley already joining for the fans. Geno is still wanted despite him technically being a Mario character with 9 already on the roster, Cloud was chosen solely because he was the big icon people connect FF with and was most wanted.

For me, I actually wanted Chrom in Smash Ultimate because I thought he was awesome and looked cool. I was hesitant on him though because I thought FE had enough characters, but when Chrom was revealed and I got to play as him, I didn’t care anymore about reps and stuff, I just wanted to play Chrom and I’m happy with that, and Sakurai seemed to have shared the same sentiment since Chrom was in because people actually wanted him. This also the same thing with Geno. People didn’t care about him being a Mario character, people think he’s awesome and want him in as a testament to what the dedication of fans can bring.

It’s the same thing I have with Lycanroc. I just want to play them and think they’re cool, and if Sakurai and the team looked back and were interested in making Lycanroc playable, chances are they will. And unlike Corrin, Lycanroc has popularity on their side along with a S/M stage and some tracks to work in.
For me, how many "essential" characters there are is more important than popularity. People claim Fire Emblem isn't popular enough for all those characters, yet I don't think more popular series need as many characters. Animal Crossing is fine, Splatoon doesn't really need Octoling but it would be a nice bonus, Kirby just needs Bandana Dee, DK just needs Dixie.

Top Bottom