• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Day, Night, and Dusk - Lycanroc for Smash Bros. Ultimate

StormC

Smash Hero
I get my money's worth, since I used Miis a lot, but it seems a lot of people just bought them to leave them collecting dust.
The only costumes I bought were the K. Rool and Geno ones. Others might have been in a similar spot, to show support for those characters.

Thing is, that window is probably still too small, based on past precedent. Corrin, for example, was added to Smash in February 2016, but Fire Emblem Fates' initial release in Japan was in June 2015, a difference of about 7 1/2 months. Considering Corrin was apparently chosen right around, or shortly after, Fates' debut while this entire wave of DLC for Ultimate is already locked in as of two weeks ago, it doesn't bode well for games that won't be out until a full year from now.
Datamining indicates Corrin was actually probably worked on since April 2015. There's cloned Ike data that would later become Corrin.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Datamining indicates Corrin was actually probably worked on since April 2015. There's cloned Ike data that would later become Corrin.
Its more likely that was Cloud. Corrin's would probably have Marth or Robin's data.

StormC

Smash Hero
Its more likely that was Cloud. Corrin's would probably have Marth or Robin's data.
There were two Ikes, if I recall correctly. One became Cloud and one became Corrin.

Though now that I think about it, I THINK Corrin was actually added last, possibly after April, so I might be slightly mistaken on timing.

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
Thing is, that window is probably still too small, based on past precedent. Corrin, for example, was added to Smash in February 2016, but Fire Emblem Fates' initial release in Japan was in June 2015, a difference of about 7 1/2 months. Considering Corrin was apparently chosen right around, or shortly after, Fates' debut while this entire wave of DLC for Ultimate is already locked in as of two weeks ago, it doesn't bode well for games that won't be out until a full year from now.

And that's why I'm not buying the "of course they'll want to stick a Gen 8 newcomer in to promote the games" talk. The idea has spread because it seems inevitable at first glance, but looking under the surface reveals things aren't so simple, and that's why Gen 7 isn't out of the running yet and why we still have some semblance of a chance.
To me it really depends on when they finalized the dlc picks. And it's also why i feel our best chances is among the first 3 dlc characters before getting closer to the release of gen 8 + the potentiall reveal of the final evolutions of the starters. It is ultimately a chance that gen 8 could get in, but as it is right now, if we even get a pokemon dlc character at all, that it would be from gen 7.

Has anyone seen a Lycanroc spirit yet?
So far, not yet. Maybe it's a later spirit or what we need to be looking for is a rockruff spirit, with the inclusion of evolution. And if there is one we need to see the specific form of lycanroc it is. But i don't really think spirits deconfirm characters in any way.

Last edited:

GlaceonGD

Smash Cadet
Hey guys, sorry for my recent inactivity, one of the games I play often got an update on Thursday and let's go came out the day after so I've not been on my computer much. I've seen a lot of talk regarding the spirits over the past few days here, and I'm almost 100% certain being a spirit doesn't deconfirm the character as I vaguely remember someone saying at least one of the characters we already have base game is a spirit too. So if lycanroc does show up as a spirit, it should still have a chance of being playable, don't count it out until we know for certain. As for me I'm losing confidence in lycanroc's chances because of how many other choices there probably could have been. Nintendo chose the characters, so there will definitely be at the very least one first party DLC character (though I think they'd probably go with two or three idk), but we have no idea what they could have presented to Sakurai.

I agree that it's too early for a gen 8 rep, especially if Rex and Spring Man didn't make playable, but there are two other gens not represented and at least a few currently popular pokemon that are more popular than lycanroc, and we don't even know if another pokemon rep is possible. Most people I've talked with complain about having too many pokemon or want ones other than lycanroc (and like 2 of my friends surprisingly agree with me that eevee should be playable in at least a future installment of the series, and considering how of the new games the eevee version is selling more than the pikachu version they might finally realize that eevee is actually popular and use it more) so I'm doubting lycanroc's chances a bit more than before, but I'm still a firm supporter. That's all I really have to say for now, I'll try to get more messages in now that I have a bit more free time.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
There were two Ikes, if I recall correctly. One became Cloud and one became Corrin.

Though now that I think about it, I THINK Corrin was actually added last, possibly after April, so I might be slightly mistaken on timing.
To my understanding, the Ike and Zero Suit Samus clones that later became Cloud and Bayonetta were 1.0.6. The slot that would become Corrin wouldn't be added until 1.0.8 in June 2015.

Corrin was a copy of Ike, however, so I was wrong about that.

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
I agree that it's too early for a gen 8 rep, especially if Rex and Spring Man didn't make playable, but there are two other gens not represented and at least a few currently popular pokemon that are more popular than lycanroc, and we don't even know if another pokemon rep is possible. Most people I've talked with complain about having too many pokemon or want ones other than lycanroc (and like 2 of my friends surprisingly agree with me that eevee should be playable in at least a future installment of the series, and considering how of the new games the eevee version is selling more than the pikachu version they might finally realize that eevee is actually popular and use it more) so I'm doubting lycanroc's chances a bit more than before, but I'm still a firm supporter.
Here's the thing, Nintendo picked the characters, so popularity feels like an afterthought or second priority at best for their reasons for picking characters. And you have to wonder the large amount of merchandise and promotion for lycanroc in the sun and moon and especially ultra sun/moon days. Sure, Lycanroc doesn't have the best chances overall, but out of all the pokemon it's at least in the top 5 for most likely pick imo.

Last edited:

GlaceonGD

Smash Cadet
Here's the thing, Nintendo picked the characters, so popularity feels like an afterthought or second priority at best for their reasons for picking characters. And you have to wonder the large amount of merchandise and promotion for lycanroc in the sun and moon and especially ultra sun/moon days. Sure, Lycanroc doesn't have the best chances overall, but out of all the pokemon it's at least in the top 5 for most likely pick imo.
True, but while I do agree with your points I don't think nintendo would choose characters who aren't popular as I'm sure they're smart enough to know they wouldn't sell well, or a lot of people would be upset about the inclusion. I'm not saying unpopular characters aren't happening, just that they aren't as likely or hard hitting as popular ones.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
Just popping in to say I'm sorry you weren't in the base game, I would've like Lycanroc so much more than Incineroar, actually I probably would have liked any Pokemon more than Incineroar

Maybe I was being punished, I got one of my all time favourite Pokemon in the form of Greninja last time so the universe decided to throw one my least favourite Pokemon, now my absolute most hated Pokemon.

I really hate this happened, I honestly can't stand it's stupid face and it's stupid voice and it's stupid arrogant personality "you're suppose to hate it" I DON'T CARE!!!! Designing something you're suppose to hate is stupid, especially when there's no "hero" character to make look better. This is just poor everything, nothing about this Pokemon is appealing. Everything about it screams bad.

I got carried away.

Good Luck with DLC, I don't really expect another Gen 7 Pokemon but good luck anyway

osby

Smash Obsessed
Just popping in to say I'm sorry you weren't in the base game, I would've like Lycanroc so much more than Incineroar, actually I probably would have liked any Pokemon more than Incineroar

Maybe I was being punished, I got one of my all time favourite Pokemon in the form of Greninja last time so the universe decided to throw one my least favourite Pokemon, now my absolute most hated Pokemon.

I really hate this happened, I honestly can't stand it's stupid face and it's stupid voice and it's stupid arrogant personality "you're suppose to hate it" I DON'T CARE!!!! Designing something you're suppose to hate is stupid, especially when there's no "hero" character to make look better. This is just poor everything, nothing about this Pokemon is appealing. Everything about it screams bad.

I got carried away.

Good Luck with DLC, I don't really expect another Gen 7 Pokemon but good luck anyway
*looks at Ridley* My goodness, you're right, who in their right mind would design a character people would hate?

Anyway, each to their own, but I'd appreciate it if this thread doesn't turn into a Incineroar hate thread. A lot of characters I like already have disturbing support threads.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
*looks at Ridley* My goodness, you're right, who in their right mind would design a character people would hate?

Anyway, each to their own, but I'd appreciate it if this thread doesn't turn into a Incineroar hate thread. A lot of characters I like already have disturbing support threads.
There's a difference between being designed to be hated and being designed to be evil.

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
Careful, everyone. osby osby has a point about not letting resentment poison our judgment. We should be an example for others to aspire to, not just another hostile tribe.

I...realize I'm also guilty of this, and on a grander scale. All the more reason for us to work on it, myself included.

Couple things I've been thinking about lately.
1. For the DLC, I believe Sakurai said they're not including Echo Fighters. While we all have our favorite/preferred form of Lycanroc, do you guys think this "no echo fighter" approach applies to any newcomers we may get, for example, Dusk echoing Midday or vice versa?
2. Do we know how early the DLC was chosen? Like if it was finalized more recently or more towards Ultimate's project plan or close to it? I feel like the earlier it was decided, the better Lycanroc's chances are.
Honestly I think he just meant echoes wouldn’t be included as paid dlc in the fighters pass. I still expect some echoes to happen, maybe just as part of free updates to the game though.
1. While they could add echo fighters outside of the pass (especially if they take the free update approach), I don't think we'll see echoes of any DLC characters. If we get any new echoes, they'll be of characters present in the base roster. In other words, if we do get one Lycanroc form as DLC...we probably couldn't reasonably expect another to pop up as an echo.

2. All we know for sure is that their DLC picks were locked in earlier this month. Though considering a couple insiders implied in the days after the Smash Direct that the DLC list hadn't been finalized yet, I think the safe guess is that preliminary stuff was talked about earlier (licensing, etc) but weren't finalized until recently. The question is how early.

Has anyone seen a Lycanroc spirit yet?
Nothing yet! Though considering the sheer number of spirits, I wouldn't be shocked if we spirits of Rockruff and Midday+Midnight at minimum.

I also think being a spirit won't ruin anyone's DLC hopes whatsoever, especially since Mewtwo and Lucas had trophies in Smash 4's base release, so it wouldn't mean anything for our chances in that regard.

To me it really depends on when they finalized the dlc picks. And it's also why i feel our best chances is among the first 3 dlc characters before getting closer to the release of gen 8 + the potentiall reveal of the final evolutions of the starters. It is ultimately a chance that gen 8 could get in, but as it is right now, if we even get a pokemon dlc character at all, that it would be from gen 7.
Ah, right, I remember hearing about that. I also remember hearing some kind of datamining that pointed toward Corrin starting development the latest, either right around Fates' Japanese release or not long before. Though they do take release dates into account either way.

I agree that our best shot is one of these earlier DLC picks, at least, though I wouldn't rule out being one of the last couple either.

Last edited:

Joinallthreacs.smash

Smash Journeyman
Spirits don't deconfirm, look at Lucas, in smash 4 he was a trophy but became DLC. Expect a Spirit or two as DLC

Also, Delzethin, as a personal suggestsion, look into King Boo as DLC, you're gonna find something worthy of your YouTube channel.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Oh, I get it, yeah, evil characters are generally designed to be loved by audience.
In a way, they actually are. Villains who do some of the worst things imaginable are often loved by their audience because of how easy it is to hate them.

...Not sure if I explained that in the best way, but people wouldn't have been begging for Ridley since Melee if they didn't find his sadistic personality appealing.

Spirits don't deconfirm, look at Lucas, in smash 4 he was a trophy but became DLC. Expect a Spirit or two as DLC
A Piranha Plant Spirit would be ideal. If we get one in the base game, that pretty much throws the entire "Spirits deconfirm characters" argument out the window.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
If a Pirahna Plant spirit was shown before his reveal, I'd fully be on board on the idea that spirits do not disconfirm characters.

Though, we'd still have to see what type of spirit pirahna plant is in the base game, to see if such a spirit will be modified when Pirahna Plant becomes DLC.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
The only reason Spirits would deconfirm a character is the lore behind it (Spirits are the actually energies of characters who were destroyed by Galleom and lost their physical form), but seeing how we now have a spirit of Kirby with the Star Rod, it's pretty clear that was just an excuse plot to justify spirits.

On another note, I thought of a reveal trailer for Lycanroc:
-Smash intro screen
-The scene takes place in a canyon
-Greninja and Lucario are running towards an opponent, revealed to be Incineroar
-Greninja jumps and attempts a dive kick, Incineroar side-steps this attack, grabbing Greninja by the foot and throwing him off-screen.
-Lucario steps in and uses Force Palm. Incineroar ducks under this, lifts Lucario horizontally over his head, and preforms a back-breaker on him.
-This attacks sends a shock-wave, which rustles the trees in a nearby forest, awakening a canine figure.
-Proud of his victory, Incineroar begins his signature pose-off, flexing his muscles and growling. Behind him, a bunch of sharp stones slowly begin rising one-by-one.
-He turns around with open arms, ready to take in any adoration from the audience. He gains a surprised expression when he sees all the floating rocks.
-The floating rocks begin flying towards him, as the screen cuts to black with blue impact sparks where Incineroar was (think of Akuma's Raging Demon from Street Fighter)
-Incineroar is knocked out on the floor, as the back of an orange figure lands near him. The camera pans around him to reveal its Lycanroc, who lets out a howl.
-"Lycanroc gains his edge!" splash screen
-Cue gameplay of Lycanroc and his stage, culminating in Splintered Stormshards.
-After this, the trailer cuts back to CG, where Lycanroc is cautiously retreating from and growling at Lucario and Greninja's spirits.
-A paw lands on Lycanroc's back, with the camera panning up to see Incineroar
-He gives Lycanroc a cocky yet respectful smile, confirming their alliances
-Lycanroc and Incineroar run to clash with Lucario and Greninja, with the screen slowly fading to black.

Joinallthreacs.smash

Smash Journeyman
-Smash intro screen
-Greninja and Lucario are running towards an opponent, revealed to be Incineroar
-Greninja jumps and attempts a dive kick, Incineroar side-steps this attack, grabbing Greninja by the foot and throwing him off-screen.
-Lucario steps in and uses Force Palm. Incineroar ducks under this, lifts Lucario horizontally over his head, and preforms a back-breaker on him.
-This attacks sends a shock-wave, which rustles the trees in a nearby forest, awakening a canine figure.
-Proud of his victory, Incineroar begins his signature pose-off, flexing his muscles and growling. Behind him, a bunch of sharp stones slowly begin rising one-by-one.
-He turns around with open arms, ready to take in any adoration from the audience. He gains a surprised expression when he sees all the floating rocks.
-The floating rocks begin flying towards him, as the screen cuts to black with blue impact sparks where Incineroar was (think of Akuma's Raging Demon from Street Fighter)
-Incineroar is knocked out on the floor, as the back of an orange figure lands near him. The camera pans around him to reveal its Lycanroc, who lets out a howl.
-After this, the trailer cuts back to CG, where Lycanroc is cautiously retreating from and growling at Lucario and Greninja's spirits.
-Lycanroc and Incineroar run to clash with Lucario and Greninja, with the screen slowly fading to black.
That's a cool idea, but I had an idea with Lucario on a Mountain training and Lycanroc's shadow slinks around and he appeares after fighting Lucaeio, splash screen, Lycanroc howling on a Mountain.
Seems cool right

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
The only reason Spirits would deconfirm a character is the lore behind it (Spirits are the actually energies of characters who were destroyed by Galleom and lost their physical form), but seeing how we now have a spirit of Kirby with the Star Rod, it's pretty clear that was just an excuse plot to justify spirits.

-Smash intro screen
That's a cool idea, but I had an idea with Lucario on a Mountain training and Lycanroc's shadow slinks around and he appeares after fighting Lucaeio, splash screen, Lycanroc howling on a Mountain.
Seems cool right
That is of course if we get cg trailers with dlc, because piranha plant's reveal didn't have cg at all. Of course the canyon could be gerudo valley and the mountain could be summit, but most likely would be an in-game trailer.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
I noticed this from the Elma thread, but seeing how Classic Mode now has character specific battles now, what would Lycanroc's Classic Mode battles be? Here are some of my suggestions:
Battle 1: Lycanroc vs. :ultlucario: on Pokemon Stadium 1
Battle 2: Lycanroc vs. :ultwolf: on Venom
Battle 3: Lycanroc vs. :ultincineroar: on Altar of Sunne/Moone
Battle 4: Midday Lycanroc and Midnight Lycanroc vs. :ultryu: and :ultken: on Suzaku Castle
Battle 5: Dusk Lycanroc vs. :ultcorrin: on Castle Siege
Battle 6: Midnight Lycanroc vs. :ultsimon: and :ultrichter: on Dracula's Castle

Anyways, what do you think? If you haven't noticed, all of these battle are neat references/fun situations connected to Lycanroc, I'll leave it up to you to find out what they all are.

Last edited:

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
I noticed this from the Elma thread, but seeing how Classic Mode now has character specific battles now, what would Lycanroc's Classic Mode battles be? Here are some of my suggestions:
Battle 1: Lycanroc vs. :ultlucario: on Pokemon Stadium 1
Battle 2: Lycanroc vs. :ultwolf: on Venom
Battle 3: Lycanroc vs. :ultincineroar: on Altar of Sunne/Moone
Battle 4a: Midday Lycanroc and :ultryu: vs. Midnight Lycanroc and :ultken: on Suzaku Castle
OR
Battle 4b: Midday Lycanroc and Midnight Lycanroc vs. :ultryu: and :ultken: on Suzaku Castle
Battle 5: Dusk Lycanroc vs. :ultcorrin: on Castle Siege
Battle 6: Midnight Lycanroc vs. :ultsimon: and :ultrichter: on Dracula's Castle

Anyways, what do you think? I you haven't noticed, all of these battle are neat references/fun situations connected to Lycanroc, I'll leave it up to you to find out what they all are.
Here's my idea.

Name: Road of Trials.

Battle 1: :ultdk: and :ultwario: on Battlefeild GCO
Battle 2: :ultpokemontrainer: (Squirtle) on Great Bay
Battle 3::ultyoshi: (Purple alt) on Castle Seige (locked to 3rd Form)
Battle 4::ultpiranha: on Kongo Falls
Battle 5::ultpikachu: randomly on either Dracula's Castle or Mushroomy Kingdom U (mountian form)
Battle 6::ultridley: on Gerudo Valley hazardless
Boss: Rayquaza or Ultra Necrozma

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
Have a nice Thanksgiving, everyone? Bet that full moon made things interesting.

In other news, Maikou Maikou 's taunts and victory animations have finally been added to the front page after all this time. Sorry it took this long to make it happen; this one's on me for letting it slip through the cracks until now.

AlphaSSB AlphaSSB , I can put your alternate palettes up next, but I need them in a different format than your original post. Smashboards is finicky with copying and pasting images that were directly uploaded in a post--can you upload it to Imgur or somewhere else that'd give it a url for easier reposting?

Joinallthreacs.smash

Smash Journeyman
My Thanksgiving was good, how is your YouTube content comming along, my guy and when can I expect to watch it??

Also here is reccomendation for your DLC predictions, i never hear anyone give King Boo a fair shake, when he is a first party front-runner, you said that you wanted to be different from the crowd, so by giving him a fair shake, you can see, he has promise.

But you don't have to listen to me.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
So here’s an update. All of the Sun and Moon remixes have been leaked and they are:

-Wild Pokémon Encounter (Sun and Moon)
-Trainer Battle (Sun and Moon)
-Battle Kahuna
-Gladion Battle
-Solgaleo and Lunala Battle
-Elite Four Battle (Sun and Moon)

The thing that is interesting to note is that despite Sakurai stating that he picked Incineroar during the Ultra games, there are no USUM remixes, and it’s all based on the original SM games. I’m pretty sure it means that Incineroar was chosen during the original releases, as there would also be a miniscule amount of time to develop Incineroar after mid-2017 if Sakurai decided to wait that long anyways.

What does it mean for us? Well, it means that Lycanroc would be open to USUM content and represent those games, as those were the additions that Lycanroc is at it’s prime (Dusk Form, and the addition of Splintered Storm Shards). The mere idea of a Lycanroc DLC set is still feasible, since we don’t have a Sun and Moon stage in the base game and there are still plenty of songs not remixed in Smash from USUM and even the original SM to still bundle in with Lycanroc.

But those are my thoughts. Any ideas for a Lycanroc Set?

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I knew I had a reason to feel suspicious about Incineroar representing USUM.

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
Maybe a stage about ultra space would be more unique rather than something like poni canyon (love the place, but ultra beasts have a bigger role in ultra, so smething like the altar that connects to ultra space would make sense).
And i guess that means there's not going to be an ultra necrozma boss fight in world of light.

All of those remixes (aside from battle gladion and wild battle) are amazing imo.
And hearing some other leaked remixes, my god this soundtrack is looking to be the best in the series.

Last edited:

Chihiro Fujisaki

Smash Journeyman
NNID
KnightOfSpace
i dunno where the notion of "it has to be within the first three announced for it to be lycanroc" comes from when all 5 dlc characters have already been finalized. i think it depends on how far gen 8 is in development right now, and if it is going to be released next year. we'll see how things turn out.

i mean, granted i don't think lycanroc will be added as much as i would love him to be, but i also think that if he were to be added, it wouldn't have to be one of the earlier dlc characters

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Lycanroc isn't a Spirit.

Don't know if that's a good or bad thing, but it's gonna be more than a little insulting if a Pokemon with such a prominent role in the anime gets absolutely nothing.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I don't really think that not having a Spirit means anything, like I don't think that having a Spirit means anything.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I don't really think that not having a Spirit means anything, like I don't think that having a Spirit means anything.
Agreed, but it still seems odd for Lycanroc to not have a presence anywhere. Even the other Pokemon that I thought was more of a Gen 7 mascot than its starters, Mimikyu, is at least in as a Poke Ball Pokemon.

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Agreed, but it still seems odd for Lycanroc to not have a presence anywhere. Even the other Pokemon that I thought was more of a Gen 7 mascot than its starters, Mimikyu, is at least in as a Poke Ball Pokemon.
It's possible that Sakurai didn't think that Lycanroc was going to be popular.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
Rockruff doesn't have a spirit either.

Between that and the lack of USUM remixes, things are getting curiouser and curiouser.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Lycanroc isn't a Spirit.

Don't know if that's a good or bad thing, but it's gonna be more than a little insulting if a Pokemon with such a prominent role in the anime gets absolutely nothing.
Really?

Was there one for Rockruff? Well at least we aren’t part of the Spirit Deconfirmation train. But it would be sad if Lycanroc really didn’t get anything in Smash in the end. Not having a spirit is a two-way road.

Rockruff doesn't have a spirit either.

Between that and the lack of USUM remixes, things are getting curiouser and curiouser.
Things are starting to shape up for us a bit. We’re lucky that a Lycanroc Set is at least feasible with a potential stage and music to boot.

Currently keeping my fingers cross that things end up opening up for us down the road.

Last edited:

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
After seeing the music list for smash, it's a shame that there won't be usum music at all. And also a bit sad that there won't be an ultra necrozma fight in the game. Like, can you imagine what a necrozma fight would look like?

And i'm also a bit dissapointed that we only have remixes from sun and moon (and 2 from oras) and no originals. Like no team skull music at all, no lusamine and tbh, i would rather have the original gladion battle theme over the remix. It literally sounds rushed and very toned down, which makes it loose it's meaning and impact. The wild battle grew on me a bit, even if 50% of the remix is the pokemon main theme for some reason.
At least the other 6 remixes are an absolute bliss to listen to.

i dunno where the notion of "it has to be within the first three announced for it to be lycanroc" comes from when all 5 dlc characters have already been finalized. i think it depends on how far gen 8 is in development right now, and if it is going to be released next year. we'll see how things turn out.
I guess what i meant was that they should announce lycanroc as one of the first dlc characters just to avoid colliding with gen 8 stuff. What if they announced a cool pokemon with potential only to announce a few days later that a previous gen pokemon got in over the new pokemon. But that's just me.

Last edited:

DeltaSceptile

Smash Lord
I guess what i meant was that they should announce lycanroc as one of the first dlc characters just to avoid colliding with gen 8 stuff. What if they announced a cool pokemon with potential only to announce a few days later that a previous gen pokemon got in over the new pokemon. But that's just me.
They’ve pretty much done everything they can for new pokemon... anyone else notice the quantity and quality of new pokemon has dropped with every passing gen? I doubt any new thing from gen 8 will grow on me, unless that thing is Zangoose and Seviper getting megas. I still think Lycanroc could be announced at any time, and most people really wouldn’t care.

Last edited:

Delzethin

NNID
Delzethin
Hard to say what our omission from the list of spirits means, if anything. The selection of Pokémon therein feels like a scattershot, with some other really strange absences even within Gen 7 (like the entire Popplio line, for one). Makes me wonder if they geared their picks toward 'mons that'd have easy-to-envision effects when equipped, or something.

But the bigger thing to take from recent reveals is that despite Sakurai's decision to namedrop the games in his column, there is actually zero content whatsoever from Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon. No stage, no music, no spirits, not a damn thing that wasn't present in the original Sun and Moon and doesn't appear to be pulling from that pair instead. On one hand, it's baffling that there isn't at least something--USUM released 13 months before Ultimate yet has no presence in it, while Gen 6's debut games hit shelves a mere 11 months before Smash 4's 3DS version yet had a veritable boatload of content between the two versions. More content than Sun & Moon, which were out 23 months in advance, have so far this time. It's as if the cutoff date for Ultimate was more than a year earlier than it was last time, which is...a real head scratcher.

On the other hand, at least it gives us another argument for inclusion for those willing to listen. While there isn't an inherent need to "represent" USUM, it means a character who took until then to reach mascot status could pull entirely from content that'd be new to Ultimate. No redundancy whatsoever, especially with the lack of new Pokémon stage so far.

Last edited:
Top Bottom