• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dawn of a New Day: Vectoring (Mostly) Removed in Patch 1.0.4

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
I'm more blown away by the knowledge that crouch canceling is in the game. Wasn't it not in Brawl, or at least insignificant? Seems weird it would skip a game and then return?

The wikis don't mention anything about it in smash4. Someone should explain how strong it is to the best of their knowledge to make sure the people testing these changes take it into consideration :3

SamuraiPanda

Smash Hero
We just tested with bowsers fsmash against jiggs. Got varying distances holding each direction. Holding towards bowser was shorter and away sent further.
This is predominantly a horizontal kb right? Maybe we have some sort of awkward bastardization of VI and DI with vertical vs horizontal knockbacks?

Jaxas

Smash Champion
NNID
Jaxas7
I'm more blown away by the knowledge that crouch canceling is in the game. Wasn't it not in Brawl, or at least insignificant? Seems weird it would skip a game and then return?

The wikis don't mention anything about it in smash4. Someone should explain how strong it is to the best of their knowledge to make sure the people testing these changes take it into consideration :3
Yeah, it wasn't in Brawl.

It's strong enough that when I (a Brawl player who didn't know crouch cancelling was a thing) was testing Vectoring in the original thread, I thought that it was VI allowing people to live almost an extra 50% when hit.
Turns out it was crouch cancelling.

So basically, it's really strong but doesn't stop hitstun, so I'm not sure what uses it has (why crouch when you can shield, basically).

xDD-Master

Smash Champion
I cant believe what I am reading... THIS CANT BE TRUE

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

LordFluffy

Smash Apprentice
From what i'm seeing myself, DI IS there, i'm seeing differences in the angle of launch, but its nearly worthless for your overall survival potential. 2-7% depending on your character's weight at most.

SonicZeroX

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4425-1491-5645
I just realized this is pretty much a Lucario nerf. Maybe that's why they didn't touch his aura.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Me and Ampharos just tests Ganon u-smash and f-tilt online.

Holding down did not change the kill % of u-smash on FD. (~75%) However, holding to the side did, slightly.

Holding in did not change the kill % of f-tilt from the ledge. (~85%)

Currently testing holding up and down on Ganon f-tilt.

Last edited:

SuperHyperMegaTurbo

Smash Cadet
WAIT. THIS IS REAL?
And I thought people were joking around.

Well, it looks like vectoring possibly was reduced in effectiveness, not entirely removed, based on the results in the OP.
Basically almost no effect for the gooey bomb, but still a little bit... and DK getting hit with a blast box still has vector influence, it would seem.
But, zero effect for the Mute City track (maybe some hits are un-vectorable).

And DI exists now.
The question is... did it before, or was it useless compared to the powerful vectoring?
Well, the angle test for the Mute City track in the OP indicates... it probably existed, it was just pretty weak.
It didn't get stronger, but you know, vectoring got like 95% nerfed, so now it's useful.

Last edited:

Asdioh

Not Asidoh
Me and Ampharos just tests Ganon u-smash and f-tilt online.

Holding down did not change the kill % of u-smash on FD. (~75%) However, holding to the side did, slightly.

Holding in did not change the kill % of f-tilt from the ledge. (~85%)

Currently testing holding up and down on Ganon f-tilt.
Does "holding down" include crouch canceling?

:sakurai:

Weeman

Smash Crusader
Thank you biased Thinkconfirmman! However i still don't get something, is traditional DI back as well then? Or was it already in the game?

Last edited:

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Does "holding down" include crouch canceling?

:sakurai:
No, it doesn't.

If jigglypuff crouches, she actually takes much less knockback from Ganon f-tilt.

Zero knockback.

And zero damage.

THE TRUE CROUCH CANCELLING

Last edited:

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
Posted this in the other thread:

Ok..... so:

I set up a test by rolling to the edge of FD with Charizard, spawning a motion sensor bomb in front of me, and jabbing it.

I've recorded the percent at which he dies off of the closer blast zone.

No Directional Input: Dies at 59
Holding Right: Dies at 66
Holding Up: Dies at 58
Holding Down: Dies at 61

I'm very, very confused.
Based on these results, whatever it is that we have does NOT behave like Brawl/Melee DI. In this case, holding down increased my survivability, in Brawl, I would have died substantially earlier holding down than I would have if I didn't input a direction at all.

I'm not really sure whats at work here, but it feels like substantially weaker vectoring.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Well, the vertical component is 0.

I am testing doc d-throw with AA atm, and we're getting no difference between holding up, down, and nothing.

Last edited:

Greward

Smash Lord
I tested and Villager dies at 83% against Mega Man's uptilt with no DI and at 86% doing it, so the difference is small.
But Link dies at 47% against the gooey bomb with no DI and i can survive up to 65% if I DI.
So maybe DI is just very weak on surviving against attacks that send you vertically, and stronger on attacks that send you horizontally.

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
I'm uploading a video showing what happens holding different directions. Take what you will from it cause things dont seem....right.

Whenever it processes but from what I just retested but its definitely odd.

Upleft sends the least distance which makes sense but straight up seems to nearly kill me more than any other direction. Its definitely not normal angular DI and its not exactly vectoring either. There has to be another rule in play here.

Last edited:

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
So at the very least, there's no vertical vectoring. THATS WHY ZERO SUIT'S DTHROW IS COMBOING SO MUCH EASIER.

Awesome :)

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
Warning Received
I don't know how good of an idea this is. If you take away survival options, you can lead into a metagame that once again favors fast movement and comboability over everything else.

Even those of you who liked Melee's flashiness must realize an overcentalized metagame is a bad one, right?

Weeman

Smash Crusader
I don't know how good of an idea this is. If you take away survival options, you can lead into a metagame that once again favors fast movement and comboability over everything else.

Even those of you who liked Melee's flashiness must realize an overcentalized metagame is a bad one, right?
Man, the blasts zones are really far away, most people will still be living over the 130s, and even without vectoring this game's true combos never really pass 3 or 4 hits, so most strings still rely on readings or tech chases, not to mention the characters don't fall faster or anything.
So explain how would this change make this game closer to a Melee-like metagame?

Revven

FrankerZ

You act like Melee doesn't have any shift in momentum at all or any slower paced MUs that fall back on the defensive mechanics that are still very viable in that game. A meta centralized around offense is better than a defensive one by far -- I'd like for a balanced one between offense and defense but if we can't get that I'll take offense over defense thank you very much.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Thank God. I was really worried no one would bring up Melee in this topic, but it seems I can rest easy.

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
Just going to throw out speculation but at least in Brawl surviving -

Vertical kills were a function of the launch angle (creating a longer distance from point of impact to blast zone) and momentum cancelling (via the fastfall acceleration working as a deaccelration on the vertical knockback, explaining why characters with absurd FF accelerations had greater variance between no momentum cancelling death and momentum cancelling death).

Horizontal kills were a function of the launch angle (again creating a longer distance from point of impact to the blast zone) and aerial deacceleration rates (which was usually aerial acceleration + a boost for certain characters iirc).

I'd suggest that in order to remove variables, perhaps how long one holds the circle pad away from the blast zone after a horizontal hit ought to be standardized to 0 or held the entire time.
It might explain the variance for horizontal shenanigans and the lack of variance for vertical knockback (since hit stun cancelling aerial FF's aren't a factor in this game).

IzE

Smash Cadet
Wasn't it with VI systems that diagonal inputs weren't registered correctly, but instead the game registered both inputs as equally pressed at the same time? Would this cause any diffusion when going from VI to DI?

Last edited:

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Ugh. Vectoring was intuitive. Why do we need an unintuitive barrier for new players?
Well, I always found altering the angle to be more intuitive, and was always confused by people who wanted to hold in. But, I can understand why they'd think that, and recognize that it's a majority decision.

Something something about recognizing the council's decision and choosing to ignore it.

DeLux

Nintendo probably removed it because we didn't name the mechanic after a community member, so there were no egos to step on.

ChronoPenguin

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4253-4494-4458
Im lost VI is diminished or completely out.
Am I holding Perpendicular, Parallel, Diagonal, upside down, right-side up, loop-de-loop or merry-go-round
to not die? What is the consensus?

Last edited:

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
Nintendo probably removed it because we didn't name the mechanic after a community member, so there were no egos to step on.
Objection, the "One Inch Punch" tech is still in and it is not named after anyone specific.

On the topic of that, can Jiggs still survive from a one inch punch? Or was that already tested? What about regular piston punch? Will that kill early now despite the lack of vectoring?

Khao

Smash Lord
I'm super surprised at this, I was sure that this **** was here to stay. I actually think it was really intuitive and thought it was better in some ways, but I don't mind it being gone, really.

It's just weird that they'd make such a direct adjustment to an old mechanic and then go back.

At least I'll never see the name "vectoring" once again, I still think that's awful, haha.

Last edited:

DeLux

Just going to throw out speculation but at least in Brawl surviving -

Vertical kills were a function of the launch angle (creating a longer distance from point of impact to blast zone) and momentum cancelling (via the fastfall acceleration working as a deaccelration on the vertical knockback, explaining why characters with absurd FF accelerations had greater variance between no momentum cancelling death and momentum cancelling death).

Horizontal kills were a function of the launch angle (again creating a longer distance from point of impact to the blast zone) and aerial deacceleration rates (which was usually aerial acceleration + a boost for certain characters iirc).

I'd suggest that in order to remove variables, perhaps how long one holds the circle pad away from the blast zone after a horizontal hit ought to be standardized to 0 or held the entire time.
It might explain the variance for horizontal shenanigans and the lack of variance for vertical knockback (since hit stun cancelling aerial FF's aren't a factor in this game).
@Thinkaman's Girlfriend test please

edit: @ Thinkaman Thinkaman LOL why is there a thinkaman's Girlfriend dying

Last edited:
Top Bottom