• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DAT Texture Wizard (current version: 6.1.4)

Achilles1515

Smash Master
DRGN, there might be a mix of problems here (some unrelated to your program) but if you open up Zankyou's Metroid Lab model import, DTW doesn't find all the textures and ends up scanning the file for all eternity. Could just be something different with the way Zankyou did this one, but it might be interesting to look into why this is occurring.

Also, after I open up that file and it continuously scans, if I try opening up another file nothing will happen.

Last edited:

DRGN

Technowizard
DRGN, there might be a mix of problems here (some unrelated to your program) but if you open up Zankyou's Metroid Lab model import, DTW doesn't find all the textures and ends up scanning the file for all eternity. Could just be something different with the way Zankyou did this one, but it might be interesting to look into why this is occurring.

Also, after I open up that file and it continuously scans, if I try opening up another file nothing will happen.
Found the problem. Data following the texture structure for the texture at 0x10ca60 matched the profile of a specific header table (used to get the palette of some paletted textures), but it was not actually one, so the function to read that fails with this false table and tries to read out of bounds of the file. I've never seen this problem before, so like you said, it might be an oddity relating to something particular with how zankyou did something. Or it might be a rare coincidence.

Either way, I'll have a fix that should avoid that type of problem in the next update. If you guys need this now I could probably have it up later today.

Edit: Nvm. Temp workaround available here.

Last edited:

DRGN

Technowizard
Ok, by the request of a few people, I've finally gone and added a donate button to the OP.

I also added one to the OP of the Code Manager program's thread. Use the button there instead if you feel that's the program you really want to support, so that way I can get a better idea of which program people want to see more of.

Achilles1515

Smash Master
Ok, by the request of a few people, I've finally gone and added a donate button to the OP.

I also added one to the OP of the Code Manager program's thread. Use the button there instead if you feel that's the program you really want to support, so that way I can get a better idea of which program people want to see more of.
Been waiting a while for this...just know that mine is for both!

DRGN

Technowizard
Update!

Changelist (from v4.2):
- Fixed alignment issue occurring with some files during ISO rebuild*
- Support for number, letter, & symbol textures in the DOL!
- Behavior improvements to the DAT Texture Tree's Properties tab
- Removed cases of false color structs appearing in Properties tab
- Now asks to remove 'Recent Files' from the list if they cannot be found
- Fixed issue of new Metroid Labs stage not opening (and similar cases)
- Fixed SA's "Expand All" (some specific structures wouldn't expand)
- Context Menu features added: 'Copy Offset(s) to Clipboard'
- Improved some back-end stuff for temp files & the View Hex feature
*ISO rebuilding should really be quite stable. Please let me know if you ever have any problems with it!

ikrager

Smash Cadet
So what is the difference between .lat, .dat, and .rat programs? Could I say replace a costume.dat with a costume.rat?

Filosafer

Smash Apprentice
DRGN DRGN I tried to follow the steps to open the Port Lock portrait in the CSS in GIMP, but I'm having issues. Especially steps 8-9. I'm not sure if it's because I'm using GIMP 2 or something. I'm also curious how Achilles1515 Achilles1515 got color in his Lock portrait. I'd appreciate some assistance, especially with clarifying Step 8. "8) Select so that ONLY the Alpha channel is selected, and then go again to 'Edit' -> 'Fill with FG color'. (blue = selected)". By select, do you mean only so the Alpha channel is highlighted? What do you mean "(blue=selected)"?

So what is the difference between .lat, .dat, and .rat programs? Could I say replace a costume.dat with a costume.rat?
.lat is the character's skin alt for left trigger, and .rat is their alternate for right trigger.

Last edited:

DRGN

Technowizard
DRGN DRGN I tried to follow the steps to open the Port Lock portrait in the CSS in GIMP, but I'm having issues. Especially steps 8-9. I'm not sure if it's because I'm using GIMP 2 or something. I'm also curious how Achilles1515 Achilles1515 got color in his Lock portrait. I'd appreciate some assistance, especially with clarifying Step 8. "8) Select so that ONLY the Alpha channel is selected, and then go again to 'Edit' -> 'Fill with FG color'. (blue = selected)". By select, do you mean only so the Alpha channel is highlighted? What do you mean "(blue=selected)"?
Yeah, I mean that you want only the Alpha channel selected in the Channels tab. For example I have the Green and Alpha channels selected here:
upload_2016-5-25_0-9-58.png

And the 'Edit' -> 'Fill' option I'm referring to is this:
upload_2016-5-25_0-27-54.png

It's important to have only the Alpha channel selected because otherwise you'll replace the color data in those other channels for those pixels. It doesn't matter what color you fill with, because the purpose of this step is simply to change the alpha values of those pixels from 0 to 100% opacity (and the color values won't be updated).

And again when you do the delete, you'll want to only be deleting the values in the Alpha channel, so you don't lose the color values. Not merging layers after you've done the delete step, and not having any layers when you save the image are both really important too, because the merge function in GIMP (which will happen in the background, even if you're just exporting) discards the color values of transparent pixels. I don't think it's supposed to; it might be a bug.

I'm using GIMP version 2.8.6, btw.

For color in the texture, you can check out these posts, which should cover it pretty well:
The beginning
HQ Closed Ports
HQ and Unique Ports
Guide on Advanced Hacking (read the section on "Changing Fundamental Texture Properties")

ikrager ikrager The .rat/.dat/.lat and other file endings are file extensions. They are only used by the game (specifically, Achilles' code, when choosing a file to load. Yes, you can replace these files however you'd like. Though the texture still needs to be of the same color slot (i.e. a costume made over a red alt can only replace other costumes in the red slots), unless you convert the file to go over another color slot using the CCC tab in DTW to convert the file.

Filosafer

Smash Apprentice
3 Hours is my quitting point. I can't tell you how many times I did the whole step process, everything looking perfect, export as png with no layers, and saving transparent colour data, only to open the saved png and start the steps to see if it worked, and the bottom left half is pure black. I'm at a loss. I've followed the steps in order, as I understand the GIMP bug that can cause it to throw away those colour values, but it seems to still crop up. Any suggestions? Could that black half be the cause of a different screwup on my end?

ikrager

Smash Cadet
ikrager ikrager The .rat/.dat/.lat and other file endings are file extensions. They are only used by the game (specifically, Achilles' code, when choosing a file to load. Yes, you can replace these files however you'd like. Though the texture still needs to be of the same color slot (i.e. a costume made over a red alt can only replace other costumes in the red slots), unless you convert the file to go over another color slot using the CCC tab in DTW to convert the file.
Incredibly helpful. Thank you. This program looks really clean, has an easy to follow interface, and didn't give me any problems. Definitely a huge tool for the melee community, so once again, thanks for putting time into making this program.

Shouldn't the costume files be identical with just color variation? Meaning, couldn't I technically switch an original neutral color with a red color? Cause the files are same size, is it just the file name that varies? I understand the CCC is exactly for this purpose :p. Just curious.

DRGN

Technowizard
3 Hours is my quitting point. I can't tell you how many times I did the whole step process, everything looking perfect, export as png with no layers, and saving transparent colour data, only to open the saved png and start the steps to see if it worked, and the bottom left half is pure black. I'm at a loss. I've followed the steps in order, as I understand the GIMP bug that can cause it to throw away those colour values, but it seems to still crop up. Any suggestions? Could that black half be the cause of a different screwup on my end?
You mean when you boot it up in game it's black? It's definitely finicky, and has to be done just right. Even though I know the process, I've even messed it up.

When you perform steps 8 and 9, do you have the AV Layer selected, or the layer for the closed port texture? You need to have the texture selected there, so when you do the fill, it updates the alpha values of the pixels in the port texture. You should be able to see the entire image after that (both panels/doors). I added a new step 7 in there to address this.

My only other suggestion, since I can't see exactly what you're doing, would be to maybe make a video of you going through it, so I could see exactly what it is. Or you could post your texture at the point before adding the finished alpha layer, and I can add that part to it.

And btw, you don't need to do step 16 (growing the selection) if you're using one of the CSS files that includes the alignment fix. Also, I just noticed that the footnote for that step (under the list) was indicating the wrong step (it was saying that the step above the correct one was optional instead). Hopefully that wasn't messing you up. I've fixed it now though.

Incredibly helpful. Thank you. This program looks really clean, has an easy to follow interface, and didn't give me any problems. Definitely a huge tool for the melee community, so once again, thanks for putting time into making this program.

Shouldn't the costume files be identical with just color variation? Meaning, couldn't I technically switch an original neutral color with a red color? Cause the files are same size, is it just the file name that varies? I understand the CCC is exactly for this purpose :p. Just curious.
There are apparently other things different between the different colors too, because if you try replacing a red alt with a costume created for a blue slot, the game will freeze when it loads. I have a hunch of what else it might be, but I've never gotten around to testing it. So what the CCC in DTW does is replace blocks of equivalent texture data between the two files.

Last edited:

Filosafer

Smash Apprentice
My only other suggestion, since I can't see exactly what you're doing, would be to maybe make a video of you going through it, so I could see exactly what it is. Or you could post your texture at the point before adding the finished alpha layer, and I can add that part to it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Qt6kwpReX0&feature=youtu.be Here's me getting frustrated at the layers (subscribe fam)
https://mega.nz/#!pNFXXACY!_PDJRYFqZOzWSnO9w8N-RhcS8YU8LuoRNb1-qMOCZFc Here's the .xcf that looks like what I want.

DRGN

Technowizard
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Qt6kwpReX0&feature=youtu.be Here's me getting frustrated at the layers (subscribe fam)
https://mega.nz/#!pNFXXACY!_PDJRYFqZOzWSnO9w8N-RhcS8YU8LuoRNb1-qMOCZFc Here's the .xcf that looks like what I want.
From your video and some testing I figured it out. Notice how part of the image layer that you brought in (the Syracuse logo) just barely lies outside of the visible canvas. And after you merge it with the door texture there is still that little bit that is outside of the canvas. That is causing the problem. Once you've gotten rid of all of the layers and are exporting the image, in the background, GIMP must be performing another merge operation (or some operation that has the same problem that merge does) in order to clip that little bit off and create something that's actually the size of the visible area. Which then causes the color values to be lost. SO, there is a simple fix: after you finish editing your new texture and merge everything together (before doing the last Alpha to Selection and deletion steps), right-click on the closed port doors texture and hit "Layer to Image Size". That will crop the layer to the size of the canvas. Now proceed as usual and it should work.

I'd edit the .xcf you posted and just do it, but I'm on my phone right now, so hopefully you can get it going from the above. If not, maybe when I get home tonight I can still do it. It probably won't be 'til late though.

Filosafer

Smash Apprentice
From your video and some testing I figured it out. Notice how part of the image layer that you brought in (the Syracuse logo) just barely lies outside of the visible canvas. And after you merge it with the door texture there is still that little bit that is outside of the canvas. That is causing the problem. Once you've gotten rid of all of the layers and are exporting the image, in the background, GIMP must be performing another merge operation (or some operation that has the same problem that merge does) in order to clip that little bit off and create something that's actually the size of the visible area. Which then causes the color values to be lost. SO, there is a simple fix: after you finish editing your new texture and merge everything together (before doing the last Alpha to Selection and deletion steps), right-click on the closed port doors texture and hit "Layer to Image Size". That will crop the layer to the size of the canvas. Now proceed as usual and it should work.

I'd edit the .xcf you posted and just do it, but I'm on my phone right now, so hopefully you can get it going from the above. If not, maybe when I get home tonight I can still do it. It probably won't be 'til late though.
Oh. That weird selection box was inherited from the original png, so I just selected that layer and pasted to a new layer, but your fix seemed a bit easier. What a stupid thing to happen. Figures it was something small like that. I got it all set now, I super appreciate the assistance.

Yakult

Smash Cadet
Hey, I've got a question. Is there any advantage to _9 textures over _14 textures? It seems to me that they just take up twice as much space and are a pain to work with the pallets.

For example, DTW shows jigglypuff's ear texture as being _14, 128x128 and taking 0x2000 bytes of space, while jigglypuff's eye textures are _9, 128x128 and take up 0x4000 bytes of space. I can see how _9 could theoretically take up less space by limiting the colours, but it seems to me that they take up double the amount.

Is there any reason for me to not just replace _9 textures with _14 textures to make them easier to work with, and potentially free up some space?

DRGN

Technowizard
Hey, I've got a question. Is there any advantage to _9 textures over _14 textures? It seems to me that they just take up twice as much space and are a pain to work with the pallets.

For example, DTW shows jigglypuff's ear texture as being _14, 128x128 and taking 0x2000 bytes of space, while jigglypuff's eye textures are _9, 128x128 and take up 0x4000 bytes of space. I can see how _9 could theoretically take up less space by limiting the colours, but it seems to me that they take up double the amount.

Is there any reason for me to not just replace _9 textures with _14 textures to make them easier to work with, and potentially free up some space?
Yeah, you could do that. You might notice a slight decrease in quality though. For example, here is the same image, encoded via _9 and _14 (CMPR) respectively (and then decoded back to PNG):

PlKbBu.dat_0x1fca0_9.png
2_PlKbBu.dat_0x25860_14.png

You'll have to use the Manual Placements tab though, as there's something preventing replacing a _9 with a _14 in the usual fashion using the DAT Texture Tree tab right now. (I should be able to change this in the next update though.) And you'll probably need to zero out the palette header pointers in the texture structures. If you're not sure what these things means, you can look at the ReadMe, and/or the How to Hack Any Texture thread for more info. And btw, considering that you're worried about _9 being a "pain to work with", did you know that you can import an image that doesn't have a palette into DTW, and it will create one for the texture for you? It does a pretty good job of it too.

Personally, I've always disliked CMPR more-so than the paletted types. It's really complex for little apparent gain. That plus a lack of necessity makes it the only type that doesn't use my own TPL codec. Which in turn though does make things a bit more annoying and troublesome in other areas of the program though, and is part of the reason why the DAT Texture Tree tab can't replace a _9 with a _14 right now.

But yeah, the eyes can be kinda ridiculous. With Peach, there's actually more data composing her eyes than the entire rest of her body!

Last edited:

Yakult

Smash Cadet
Yeah, you could do that. You might notice a slight decrease in quality though. For example, here is the same image, encoded via _9 and _14 (CMPR) respectively (and then decoded back to PNG):

View attachment 108503 View attachment 108504

You'll have to use the Manual Placements tab though, as there's something preventing replacing a _9 with a _14 in the usual fashion using the DAT Texture Tree tab right now. (I should be able to change this in the next update though.) And you'll probably need to zero out the palette header pointers in the texture structures. If you're not sure what these things means, you can look at the ReadMe, and/or the How to Hack Any Texture thread for more info. And btw, considering that you're worried about _9 being a "pain to work with", did you know that you can import an image that doesn't have a palette into DTW, and it will create one for the texture for you? It does a pretty good job of it too.

Personally, I've always disliked CMPR more-so than the paletted types. It's really complex for little apparent gain. That plus a lack of necessity makes it the only type that doesn't use my own TPL codec. Which in turn though does make things a bit more annoying and troublesome in other areas of the program though, and is part of the reason why the DAT Texture Tree tab can't replace a _9 with a _14 right now.

But yeah, the eyes can be kinda ridiculous. With Peach, there's actually more data composing her eyes than the entire rest of her body!
Ah I see! Thanks a lot for the info. I realised just now that they were being difficult because I had swapped around the image data headers, but it was still using the pallet from the original structure (sorry if that makes no sense - I've never had to use the terms before in a sentence). I had tried working out why the pallet was wrong for a while, but suddenly realised why when reading your reply! All working now in glorious slightly higher quality _9 format so thanks again!

Rektar

Smash Rookie
I want to have marth's sword have transparent and texture. So does anyone know how to do that or convert it to a csp or any other transparent-possible things?

Zeus_Da_master

Smash Journeyman
i have photoshop and not GIMP. can someone please put my image on the ports with 20XX on the CSS?... preferably, i'd like to have an image stretch across the 4 ports and have slight color like this pic.

Attachments

Edaren

Smash Rookie
I can't import anything into DAT Texture Wizard on one of my PCs. Everything works fine on the other one but on my laptop that I have more access too nothing works. I can't import .dat files or .iso files. Nothing happens when I drag them in or browse for them. Do anyone know why this is happening?

DRGN

Technowizard
I want to have marth's sword have transparent and texture. So does anyone know how to do that or convert it to a csp or any other transparent-possible things?
We can't yet give it a texture. (At least not easily. The way I can think of to try it has never been attempted.) However it could likely be given transparency, assuming you can identify the object, which I don't know where it is.

i have photoshop and not GIMP. can someone please put my image on the ports with 20XX on the CSS?... preferably, i'd like to have an image stretch across the 4 ports and have slight color like this pic.
This is not yet possible for 20XX v4+. The CSS you're looking at is only for normal CSSs.

I can't import anything into DAT Texture Wizard on one of my PCs. Everything works fine on the other one but on my laptop that I have more access too nothing works. I can't import .dat files or .iso files. Nothing happens when I drag them in or browse for them. Do anyone know why this is happening?
I might be able to look into this if you can provide some more details: What OS are you running? 32-bit or 64? (If you're using 64-bit, can you try the 32-bit version?) What version of DTW are you trying?

Last edited:

Edaren

Smash Rookie
I might be able to look into this if you can provide some more details: What OS are you running? 32-bit or 64? (If you're using 64-bit, can you try the 32-bit version?) What version of DTW are you trying?
Awesome! I'm using windows 7. I've tried both versions of the newest version of DTW and I've also tried version 3.5(?) or something like that, I can't check right now. None of these versions work.

Zeus_Da_master

Smash Journeyman
DRGN DRGN for the next DTW you should add an audio player too it. just like when you double click on a stage or charcter or menu and it shows all the files and you can edit them... you should have it to when you double click on the audio, itll take you to another tab and play the sound or sounds in it and give you the option to change them out

L.O.S.T.30-3

Smash Cadet
Thank you for the DTW it makes modding melee so much easier. I was just wondering why I sometimes get this message when trying to export an image "There was an unknown problem while creating these files"?

DRGN

Technowizard
DRGN DRGN for the next DTW you should add an audio player too it. just like when you double click on a stage or charcter or menu and it shows all the files and you can edit them... you should have it to when you double click on the audio, itll take you to another tab and play the sound or sounds in it and give you the option to change them out
Perhaps. That sort of thing should be easier nowadays, considering the recent development of audio tools by others.
Thank you for the DTW it makes modding melee so much easier. I was just wondering why I sometimes get this message when trying to export an image "There was an unknown problem while creating these files"?
What were you trying to do? If you'd like you can PM me so we can go back and forth on the details.

Zeus_Da_master

Smash Journeyman
Perhaps. That sort of thing should be easier nowadays, considering the recent development of audio tools by others.
yes. Id think that it wouldn't be that hard to incorporate, i found a program called xmplay that seems pretty cool, its small in size (thats whats she said) and plays all hps and dsp files. any idea in how long before the next release, perhaps with that in it? and any word on 20xx 4.06?

Krusteaz

Smash Apprentice
I can't seem to get on of my texture replacements to work. I can replace all of Ganondorf's other textures but when I try and import his chest piece (PlGnNr.dat_0x4e1c0_14) it shows up as replaced in Texture Wizard but when I load up the ISO in Dolphin is just appears as his regular chest texture?

Any help?

Achilles1515

Smash Master
I can't seem to get on of my texture replacements to work. I can replace all of Ganondorf's other textures but when I try and import his chest piece (PlGnNr.dat_0x4e1c0_14) it shows up as replaced in Texture Wizard but when I load up the ISO in Dolphin is just appears as his regular chest texture?

Any help?
Likely his off-camera bubble texture. Test it.

Last edited:

Krusteaz

Smash Apprentice
Likely his off-camera bubble texture. Test it.
You're right it was

Looked back in though and couldn't find another texture for 'normal view' or whatever you would call it

Where would that be located? I can seem to find it in Texture Wizard and I've been looking forever

DRGN

Technowizard
You're right it was

Looked back in though and couldn't find another texture for 'normal view' or whatever you would call it

Where would that be located? I can seem to find it in Texture Wizard and I've been looking forever
It's likely not a single texture; look for smaller parts that look like different parts of his chest area.

To help, you can download Steelia's pack of original texture files for Ganon, found here. The textures are in folders with descriptive names to help identify what is what.

Krusteaz

Smash Apprentice
It's likely not a single texture; look for smaller parts that look like different parts of his chest area.

To help, you can download Steelia's pack of original texture files for Ganon, found here. The textures are in folders with descriptive names to help identify what is what.
That was it, thanks :)

EIREXE

Smash Apprentice
Is there any way to run this on Linux?.

If it does not run on linux atm i could try to get it running since you seem to be using python.

tatatat0

Smash Journeyman
Alright, so whats up with the CSS player slot always being half of what it really is?

It does this on a vanilla iso as well.

DRGN

Technowizard
Is there any way to run this on Linux?.

If it does not run on linux atm i could try to get it running since you seem to be using python.
I've never tried it. If you'd like to try, sure, go ahead. I can give you some source code later today to experiment with.

PKRev

Smash Rookie
NNID
BQQ
Is it possible to combine 2 dat files of the same name together? Im installing character mods from magic scrumpy yt channel and twitter. Thanks!

Top Bottom