• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DAT Texture Wizard (current version: 6.1.4)

Milun

Smash Ace
I think the amount of space palletes take up vary. So if the original image only used 8 bytes and youre trying to use 10 bytes you create an issue.
According to Steelia's texture dumps, it's "32 lines", which I'm pretty sure means 256 colours. The issue doesn't even arise when I use 256 colours or less. It only arises when I index my png's in Photoshop. Otherwise, the import is fine (and according to your program, each image has around 216 colours or so), but for some reason, all the colours are veeeeeeeeery slightly changed when they get imported.

Here, I'll show you. This is the image I import. It's a .png, but I have not indexed it (otherwise the magenta happens).
According to Photoshop, it has 244 colours. When importing, the program says that I have a max of 256 colours available, with a palette of RGB565.

After the import, I then export that same texture from your program and get this.
According to Photoshop, it's got 155 colours. According to the program, the texture is using 148 colours.

I'm sorry, I know I'm being reeeeeeeeeeally nitpicky. I hope this helps though.

DRGN

Technowizard
According to Steelia's texture dumps, it's "32 lines", which I'm pretty sure means 256 colours. The issue doesn't even arise when I use 256 colours or less. It only arises when I index my png's in Photoshop. Otherwise, the import is fine (and according to your program, each image has around 216 colours or so), but for some reason, all the colours are veeeeeeeeery slightly changed when they get imported.

Here, I'll show you. This is the image I import. It's a .png, but I have not indexed it (otherwise the magenta happens).
According to Photoshop, it has 244 colours. When importing, the program says that I have a max of 256 colours available, with a palette of RGB565.

After the import, I then export that same texture from your program and get this.
According to Photoshop, it's got 155 colours. According to the program, the texture is using 148 colours.

I'm sorry, I know I'm being reeeeeeeeeeally nitpicky. I hope this helps though.
I don't think it's nitpicky. Certainly something is strange here and needs to be addressed. And I appreciate the details you're providing.

Yeah, in Steelia's notes, 32 lines = 256 colors, which is correct for these textures. The texture I'm testing with for this is 0x400a0 in Marth's Neutral costume btw.

I think I figured part of it out. Maybe. I know you said you imported the PNG above, but are you converting your png texture into a tpl with the PNG to-from TPL.bat script, and then importing the TPL into DTW? That's the only way that I found to get the magenta you're seeing. And the reason for that is that the batch script has a necessary encoding option in it that is used to set whether the source texture(s) use transparency. If you open the script in notepad you'll see the option near the beginning, called "sourceHasTransparency", which can be set as yes or no (default is yes, because I think that's more common, especially considering CSPs). Having the option is necessary because it would be fairly difficult for the batch script to check the sources in order to know and set the right encoding.

However DTW can accept PNGs directly, and is fairly easily able to look at the source textures and detect whether they use transparency, so no such option needs to be set. If I give your first texture a palette with GIMP (which gives it 237 colors), then I can import it into DTW as a PNG (with a palette) with no magenta problems. Though it still ends up with 148 colors once it's imported. The thing that does this is wimgt, which is a separate executable that handles the PNG and TPL conversions (and the same thing the batch script uses). I could have sworn from my testing before that it preserved palettes if they were already present in the PNG. Maybe it was only for certain palette types. Guess I'll need to do some more testing.

According to Photoshop, it's got 155 colours.
Was this a typo; did you mean 255 or 256?

I did find a bug where, when importing a TPL, the palette type wasn't being read properly (which I've fixed now). Doesn't seem this was what you were seeing though. The behavior this manifested itself as caused the palette to have the wrong colors immediately after importing a TPL, then when you would click on another texture and then back to the original, it would show the correct colors. (sounds opposite of what you described before about clicking on a different texture)

Last edited:

Milun

Smash Ace
According to Photoshop, it's got 155 colours.
Was this a typo; did you mean 255 or 256?
Nope. This is the exported texture from the program (aka, I import, then export again). Photoshop seems to think it's got 155 colours, while the program tells me there's 148.

Also, I don't use the TPL script at all. Purely the program. I tried dragging them onto the PNG to TPL script, but it didn't output anything, regardless of if they were indexed or not.

Last edited:

Edaren

Smash Rookie
It seems like I'm unable to load a Melee iso. This is what happens when I drag it on the .exe. Does anyone know what's wrong?

DRGN

Technowizard
It seems like I'm unable to load a Melee iso. This is what happens when I drag it on the .exe. Does anyone know what's wrong?
Your ISO is named with the extension ".lnk", so the program is trying to read it as if it were a DAT. Rename the file with .iso or .gcm to have it read as a disc image.

Edaren

Smash Rookie
Your ISO is named with the extension ".lnk", so the program is trying to read it as if it were a DAT. Rename the file with .iso or .gcm to have it read as a disc image.
I tried doing that but nothing happens when I try to open the .iso in the program. :/

nebula_benula

Smash Cadet
Introducing DAT Texture Wizard v3+, a program designed to encompass, simplify, and speed-up the entire Melee texture hacking process. This version even absorbs the roles of Dolphin and GCRebuilder, to get you your source textures and manage your ISO. Also, it actually shows you the textures in the files, much like Melee Toolkit, but for all of the files in the game!

View attachment 81028

View attachment 81030

Thanks go out to those who led to the golden YaGCD, and all others who have researched, discovered, and documented their findings and reverse engineering. (And to achilles for not just that, but also some beta testing. ;))

Special Note: My PNG to-from TPL.bat script comes with DTW3. You may or may not need this anymore, but basically it's a powerful TPL texture converter. If you'd like to know more about it you can look in the 'Old post content' below.

Changelist (from v3.0):
- Character Color Converter added!
- Column sorting for DAT Texture Tree tab (click on column headers to sort)
- ISO File Tree support for 20XX 4.0 Beta
- Character files in the ISO File Tree organized into individual folders
- "Structure Offsets" tab renamed to "Texture Structure"
- Scrollbar for Texture Structure tab (appears when needed. yes, like Batman)
- Now shows Texture and Material structure offsets in Texture Structure tab
- Texture properties are now shown and editable in the Texture Structure tab
- Added framework for adding other structures & properties in the future
- Program now moves to the front when you've dragged something onto it
- Improved other drag-'n'-drop handling (mostly backend stuff)
- Fixed an issue that prevented PAL ISOs from being opened
- File naming for exported audio files has been changed slightly*
- Text entries (e.g. for image data headers) turn red when changed
- Fixed the counter incrementing of 'Processing File __....' for bulk imports
*Previously, certain files in the "audio" folder would have "(jp)" added to their name upon exporting, in order to differentiate them from files of the same name within the "us" subfolder. Now, instead, files within the "us" folder have "(us)" added to their name upon exporting. The same is done for the other language folders in the PAL version.

Prior to version 3+:
- Too many to count from DTW 1|2. 3+ is essentially a rebuild, besides core functionality
- You can find the changelog for everything prior to version 3 in the 'Old post content' spoiler

This is completely optional, but can be very useful!

This functionality demoed above for the converter script can also be used with DTW; so you can right-click on a file, 'Send-to DTW', and the program will open, and then it will open the file you sent to it. This can be a handy alternative to drag-and-dropping a file onto the program or script icons.

To do this, simply download and extract the zip to wherever you'd like to keep these. Then open up the "Installers" folder found inside, and double-click on the script titled "Add 'PNG to-from TPL' to the context menu.bat" or "Add 'DAT Texture Wizard' to the context menu.bat" to run them. The option to send files to DTW or the converter should now be in your context menu. If you move where you keep the program or the converter script, then the links in the context menu will break. To fix them, just re-run the installer. You can also remove the converter from the context menu by running the uninstaller, which is also found in the Installers folder.

Hi! I'd like to share with you how you can speed up and automate some of the processes for texture hacking and working with TPLs. Because of the uncommon image format (being exclusive to Nintendo), the original method of texture hacking Melee (using TexConv.exe, TCS files, and a hex editor) is a bit involved. And although not super difficult or complex, it can still be really tedious, and certainly confusing to newcomers. So I came up with a few methods that are better. Not only that, but now we have a way to work with PNGs directly (which is my format of choice).

[Disclaimer: I realize this may still be a little confusing to those who haven’t gotten into texture hacking too much yet. You can find a full guide on how to use these programs in the thread How to Hack Any Texture.]
I have two things for you guys:

1] A script to convert any number of PNGs to TPL format, and vice-versa.
2] A program to take any number of TPLs or PNGs, and overwrite them into any DAT file.
And both of these provide drag-and-drop functionality, so they’re pretty much amazing.

1] PNG to-from TPL.bat - v2.2 (Google download | MediaFire mirror)
This is a script I wrote around something I found within a set of utilities called Wimm's SZS Tools. Originally, Wimm's tool is used via manual entry into the command line for a single image (including requiring input for the file, file format and image type options). My script uses this tool, but gives you the ability to simply select the files you want to convert, and drag-and-drop them all onto the script at once (or even better, just right click on the files, and send them to the converter, as seen in the installer spoiler below). For each file, it will look at the file format and image type from the file to determine what to do with it. If it’s a TPL, the script converts it to a PNG, and if it’s a PNG, it will convert it to a TPL, while choosing the correct encoding based on the image type*. For the whole process, an interface doesn’t even open; instead, a few moments later you’ll simply have your converted files in the same folder as the originals.

*It determines the image type (and therefore what encoding to use) by looking at the file name. So it will work fine as long as you kept the standard naming convention. e.g. “txt_0038_14.tga” or “GALE01_d7f59321_0.png”. Although you don’t need the entire default filename; all you really need to keep is the last underscore and number at the end, before the file extension.

Your images and the script don’t need to be in the same folder like with TexConv; they can be anywhere, even on different drives. In fact, you can even use it from Window's right-click context menu (as seen in the "Installing to your context menu's 'Send to' submenu" spoiler), making it easier than ever to convert your images!

Version 2.2:
- Made the output more readable, for those that set it to not exit upon completion
- Removed the unnecessary files from the Wiimms Files folder (now named "wiimms")
- Dropped the download/program size from 14.4 MB down to 4.2 MB
- Most of Wiimms Tools are no longer included (all but wimgt) or installable, but are no longer needed
Version 2.1:
- Added support for paletted textures (_8, _9, _10/_a). (All types now supported.)
- Auto-detects whether Wiimms Tools are installed
- Added installer to the Windows right-click context menu
Version 1.1:
- Fixed support for _14 (a.k.a. _e) textures
- Added an error message for cases where an image type is not found
Version 1.0:
- First public release

2] DAT Texture Wizard.exe - v2.2 (download)

This is a program I wrote that allows you to quickly overwrite any number of PNG or TPL files into any DAT, all at once. No more opening each file into a hex editor, seeking offsets, and manually copying binary.

If you are unsure how to use this: usage instructions are included in the download, and again, a full guide, covering the whole texture hacking process (using these tools), is available here.

Version 2.2:
- Added a "Placements files" folder for auto-loading Placements files & offsets
- Button to automatically create a placements file based on what's currently given to the program
- Warnings and other help/notice messages now clear upon selecting new files.
- Added a more specific warning if a file is missing its image type
- Added red line highlighting in cases where an image has the wrong formatting
- "Scan folder structure" will now work with folder names that contain only numbers
- Small updates to the user guide
- Pro-tips always show (originally intentionally only showed when you didn't load files via drag-and-drop)
Version 2.1:
- Fixed a bug relating to replacing the transparency and shadow colors for some CSP palettes
- Added a few more Pro-tips
Version 2.0:
- Changed the name of the program from TPL Overwriter to DAT Texture Wizard
- Added support for textures with palettes (all types now supported)
- Can select PNG images as well as TPLs for overwrites (includes automatic conversion)
- Automatically hexes magenta and lime green palette colors to transparent and 'shadow', respectively
- Line highlighting for successful/failed overwrites
- Ability to scan for offsets at any time, including AFTER all files have already been selected
- Remembers last used search directory (per session)
- Drag-and-drop file opening feature now sets the default search directory
- Ability to overwrite a texture into multiple locations (e.g. '..._3.png --> 123ab, 456df')
- Added true support for .usd files
- Now will only keep a backup of the dat/usd file if a change is actually made from the original
- Will accept filepaths in double quotes, and offsets may optionally include the preceding "0x"
- Can now also be installed to the Windows right-click context menu (super handy)
- Removed the 'Clear' button (since you can easily do the same thing with 'Ctrl + A, Delete' anyway)
- Bunch of code optimization
- Added an improved user guide in the download, in the 'User Guide & Info.txt' file
- PNG to-from TPL.bat now included in the download (since it's only a 6 KB addition)
Version 1.0:
- First public release

Feedback is appreciated (as well as any bug reports). There are still a LOT of features that could be added. I'll add new functionality based on what you guys would like to see as well as how long it would take to add (please provide a reason if it's not already apparent). Even if you see that someone else is asking for functionality that you'd like, feel free to post anyway so that I know how much demand there is for it.

That's all for now. Enjoy! ^_^
PLEASE, I BEG OF YOU, MAKE A VERSION OF THE LATEST ONE FOR 32 BIT.
...in all seriousness, the new one can do literally everything but the old one can barely do anything... I only have a 32 bit computer

DRGN

Technowizard
A few things:

- I've started writing my own tpl encoder/decoder. As I've mentioned, so far this has been handled by wimgt, but there are a few issues with that. Writing my own will solve the palette issues Milun Milun ran into, so palettes and their exact colors will be completely preserved through imports and exports. Transparencies with palettes will also be preserved. So if your image editor properly supports it (specifically, the tRNS data chunk in PNGs), you can use colors with transparencies in your palettes (so you don't have to use replacement colors in CSPs, for example). Other transparency rendering problems will also be fixed, particularly with type _2 and _3 textures. For example, these:

_2, _3 transparency bug.png

Should actually appear like this:
_2, _3 transparency fix.png

I know there are already a few tpl codecs out there already, but the ones I looked at were either incomplete or didn't return data quite the way I was looking for (plus they have little to no internal code documentation). This'll be in python, but I might remake it in one of the C languages at some point to speed things up.

@Tcll, would you like to use this as well? I know you're building your modeling stuff in python too, and last I saw from one of your repositories, your codec wasn't finished yet. Don't know if you've finished it since then.

- If you've ever noticed weird colors in some palettes (particularly with RGB5A3), I've found and fixed the problem with that (the top bit was being checked, but not properly compared). I've also changed how they're drawn in the GUI, so you'll be able to better see transparent colors. At some point I'll add the ability to click on individual palette entries to directly change them in-place.

- I also have some surprises with the Disc File Tree tab, like being able to sort the files by offset in the ISO, and a few other more useful things.

- If you guys have any feature requests, now would be a good time to speak up. I might add them in real quick before the next update, depending on how long they would take to add.

- For anyone asking about Mac support for this or MCM, see here.

...in all seriousness, the new one can do literally everything but the old one can barely do anything... I only have a 32 bit computer
I'll look into this again on the side, and might have a 32-bit build with the next update.

Last edited:

DRGN

Technowizard
is there a version for mac?
ive tried using wine and it crashes
http://smashboards.com/threads/mele...-add-codes-to-your-game.416437/#post-20777786

You tried opening a shortcut to the file instead of the file itself.

Now try opening the file itself.
Good catch. I don't know why I didn't recognize the extension before, lol.

I should look into adding a feature for that; when a shortcut is given, I imagine it should be fairly simple to get the target link to grab the actual file.

Last edited:

Ed94

Smash Apprentice

I've gone through DRGN's guide with GIMP on getting the css pannel to show up correctly and this is as far as I got.

What I intended it to look like is this:

Here is the export and original xcf: Link

I still have to check achilles1515 post on perfecting the alignment but besides that is there any way for the other side to have the full design and not just the center piece?

Edit: original question(answered):
I'm guessing this means you cannot make it see through, as in have parts of it completely transparent edits must be opaque since the alpha is already being taken up by this jank that they have setup for the css panel.

Last edited:

DRGN

Technowizard
I'm guessing this means you cannot make it see through, as in have parts of it completely transparent edits must be opaque since the alpha is already being taken up by this jank that they have setup for the css panel.
The alpha channel still controls the image's transparency, it just does it in a weird way. It seems to be applied through a mask or a filter. When the panel is closed, the top-right side actually behaves normally, while the bottom-left panel's rendered transparency is simply opposite of what's in the data/file. So it's possible to do something like this for example:

GALE01-5.png

(Side note from the above: the inner doors only appear if a character is selected on that port. They could be removed by making them completely transparent.)

Both half-circles are fully transparent; they just don't look it because they have other partially transparent textures behind them. Different levels of transparency are also available (should be a bit-depth of 8, i.e. 256 different levels). However that center bar through the middle is nigh impossible to get rid of, because it's actually rendered twice, in two different ways. Hold on, it might make sense in a minute.

The two sides of each door seem to be rendered onto two different objects, so that they can move independent of each other. That center borderline between the two sides is used on both panels, and simply overlaps in the middle when the panels close. So if you erase it, it will show because of how the bottom-left panel's transparency works, and if you don't erase it, it will show because of how the top-right panel's transparency works.

Anyway, there's also some other weird behavior you get from this, due to the masks I mentioned (in order to make the panels disappear, since there's nothing for the textures to move behind to hide them). Both panels for each door move relative to the mask. When pixels move behind it, the rules for their transparency change. So when the above textures start to move, the parts that were transparent become opaque, and vice versa, which you can see here as the panels open (later frames are toward the right):

GALE01-32.png

The textures don't move all the way off of where the doors start; P4's slot is actually fully opened.

I've gone through DRGN's guide with GIMP on getting the css pannel to show up correctly and this is as far as I got.

What I intended it to look like is this:

Here is the export and original xcf: Link

I still have to check achilles1515 post on perfecting the alignment but besides that is there any way for the other side to have the full design and not just the center piece?

Edit: original question(answered):
What image type are you trying to use? It's probably related to that, depending on what it is.

Also, I have a file you can use, here, that has the alignment fix added, as well as extra space for the texture, so you can use a _6 type, which allows for better quality and color. As long as you handle the alpha steps correctly, I don't think you'll run into the problem above. Keep in mind this can't be used with the current 20XX though.

Last edited:

Ed94

Smash Apprentice
Thanks for the post on the transparency, I can make some pretty sick patterns that way, I'll start to experiment with that after I get the opaque css panel done. I think a design could be made to take advantage of that.

I was using a png, if I try to import using the tool even after rebuilding once it happens, but I rebuild every time its correct..

Thanks so much for that, after rebuilding it worked great! Now I just need to edit the two doors, cpu, hmn panels, and then I'll have the select displays done for the menu redesign.

Thanks for the 20xx warning, I've been personalizing it with my new textures but I'll hold off on the css panels for now. Besides I should really be testing it on a clean iso anyway for the kind of project I'm doing.

Edit:
Well this is now my current dilema:

Seems ports one and two have some color overlay glitch. The other two ports as shown are fine though.

Update: I found out this only happens when using 20xxte... I wonder why.

Last edited:

Gryz

Smash Rookie
How do I get this to work? I'm using wine on mac to open this, but it won't open the file. Is there a version I can use?(btw every thing else works fine on my mac)

DRGN

Technowizard
Big update!

It looks mostly the same, but it would've been hard to call this version '3.2' because so much of the internals have been changed in order to add a few powerful new features. I also addressed a lot of bugs or things that seemed like bugs because they weren't very intuitive, and made a number of things faster. Check out the changelist!

Changelist (from v3.1):

- Now allows file imports of larger sizes! (rebuilds ISO automatically for you)
- Rewrote the core of the Disc File Tree generation (which now loads instantly)
- Sort feature added to Disc File Tree (click on File header to sort by offset)
- Modified how disc system files are displayed (now renamed and ordered by offset)
- Fixed extraction -and the GUI's file size reporting- of the FST (Game.toc)
- Wrote brand new image encoding/decoding to mostly replace wimgt*, which:
- Completely preserves palettes on export and import (no re-creation)
- Offers superior palette generation for non-paletted textures that need one
- Fixed alpha channel rendering of _2 type textures
- Fixed alpha channel rendering of _3 type textures
- Loads images faster
- More intelligently determines palette encoding​
- Added Palette tab background color toggle (to better see partial transparencies)
- Moved the palette header & data offset displays to the Palette tab
- Added 'Trails Image Data?' info to palette tab**
- Palette types can now be changed in DAT files to allow/disallow transparency***
- Re-enabled a check to warn you if a texture's palette is too big
- Added the 'Structual Analysis' tab (experimental) to view/edit structures
- Renamed 'Texture Structure' tab to 'Properties' and added color struct editing
- Fixed an issue where it would incorrectly think an image data header was changed
- Menu option 'Save to New DAT/USD File' renamed to 'Save As....'
- After using 'Save As...', filepath changed to new file for subsequent changes
- Fixed a bug that caused incorrect display of RGB5A3 palette colors with alpha
- Fixed a bug where the palette type for imported TPLs wasn't read properly
- Added 'Disc Shortcuts' on the Disc File Tree tab for quicker access to things
- Fixed instances where the 'Open Last Used Directory' feature would fail
- Font size now adapts to user's system's font size setting (tested on Win7)
- Increasing/decreasing font size is now an option in the settings file
- Added keyboard navigation to the menus (used via ALT key)
- Added the Disc Operations menu, so those commands are available via keyboard
- Added 'CTRL-S' keyboard shortcut for saving changes
- Fixed cases where the Character Color Converter would fail with Falcon & Ganon
- Fixed "PNG to-from TPL.bat" (had a broken link in the last version)
- Reduced the program by ~23 MB (it's about half its old size)
- Other smaller stuff that would just make this list too long....​

* wimgt still used for _14 (CMPR) type textures
** describes whether the palette data directly follows the image data in the file
*** the gain for disallowing transparency is better texture colors

Download in OP.

Let me know if you find any problems, as there could still be some combinations of actions I haven't tested yet. You can copy over your old settings file to this if you'd like.

By default, I have this set to create a back-up when you rebuild your ISO. However, the feature should be really stable, so this might not be necessary. I just wanted to be on the safe side and make sure nobody's game is broken and their work lost. But if you have a back-up or fully trust the feature, feel free to disable this option (in the settings menu), so it will edit your ISO in-place. Copying the data to insert the new information and/or realign it will need to happen either way, so disabling this won't speed up the process.

How do I get this to work? I'm using wine on mac to open this, but it won't open the file. Is there a version I can use?(btw every thing else works fine on my mac)
http://smashboards.com/threads/mele...-add-codes-to-your-game.416437/#post-20777786

DRGN

Technowizard
So many changes, and still no 32-bit/universal build.

T_T

Still gotta grab it for Toolbox reasons tho.
Oh! Yes, I forgot to mention that I've started putting together a 32 bit environment to compile in, so that should hopefully be available soon!

DRGN

Technowizard
Attention! If you've downloaded this since I posted the changelog above, you'll want to re-download. There was a small bug fix with _14 textures that I just added.

is there a 32 bit version for this?
The post right above yours answers that. There isn't, but there should be soon.

Milun Milun , with this new version, you should be able to do exactly what you wanted with Marth's eyes. I don't know if you ended up achieving what you really wanted to with your costume. But I wanted to ask if there is anything you wanted to fix/improve on it before I grab a copy of it for more public distribution.

Last edited:

Achilles1515

Smash Master
DRGN, incredible stuff. Thanks so much for the update. I find it hard to express the behind-the-scenes impact you make on the SSBM modding community.

Also, I found a bug relating to the "Color Structure Offset" of the properties tab. (I've only looked at this one texture in 4.0, not sure if this is a widespread issue.)

bug1.PNG

Bug2.PNG

This color structure offset is incorrect. The correct file offset address should be 0xc580.

bug3.PNG

Last edited:

DRGN

Technowizard
DRGN, incredible stuff. Thanks so much for the update. I find it hard to express the behind-the-scenes impact you make on the SSBM modding community.

Also, I found a bug relating to the "Color Structure Offset" of the properties tab. (I've only looked at this one texture in 4.0, not sure if this is a widespread issue.)

View attachment 99176

View attachment 99177

This color structure offset is incorrect. The correct file offset address should be 0xc580.

View attachment 99178
Thanks! Will upload the fix later today.

I've also added the Lance Color Structure to that Properties tab, under the Color Structure. Shoutouts to @Lanceinthepants, who I thought I'd name that structure after since he first discovered those patterns. :) It's actually simply attached right to the Texture Structure, as seen in the Structural Analysis tab.

DRGN

Technowizard
Alright. Fix added and uploaded.

Changelist (from v4.0):
- Fixed issue causing incorrect Color Struct offset/data on the Properties tab
- Added the Lance Color Struct offset/data to the Properties tab
- Added 'Child Bones' to the Structural Analysis tab​

Don't have a lot of time atm, so I kinda did this quick. Hopefully the new structures are all correct and I didn't break anything in the process. :p Let me know if there's anything I should change.

Achilles1515 Achilles1515 Z zankyou @Tcll
What do you guys think of the structure terminology I'm using with the Structural Analysis tab? Dan and revel8n called the second highest level structures (root/reference nodes being the first) 'Joint Objects', while the Mario Kart Wiki describes them as "Bones". And then there are bones attached to those bones; "Child Bones". I've seen different people call structures different things though, so I was thinking maybe we should agree on specific ones, to prevent confusion.

Last edited:

zankyou

Smash Lord
Alright. Fix added and uploaded.

Changelist (from v4.0):
- Fixed issue causing incorrect Color Struct offset/data on the Properties tab
- Added the Lance Color Struct offset/data to the Properties tab
- Added 'Child Bones' to the Structural Analysis tab​

Don't have a lot of time atm, so I kinda did this quick. Hopefully the new structures are all correct and I didn't break anything in the process. :p

Achilles1515 Achilles1515 Z zankyou @Tcll
What do you guys think of the structure terminology I'm using with the Structural Analysis tab? Dan and revel8n called the second highest level structures (root/reference nodes being the first) 'Joint Objects', while the Mario Kart Wiki describes them as "Bones". And then there are bones attached to those bones; "Child Bones". I've seen different people call structures different things though, so I was thinking maybe we should agree on specific ones, to prevent confusion.
Tcll is the one who made the wiki and I use his terminology since he's the one who has the most complete compilation of information on the topic and its what I learned pretty much everything from.

DRGN

Technowizard
A 32-bit build is now available!

Doq Doq nebula_benula nebula_benula PKRev PKRev

Doqtor Kirby, you can use the command "wmic OS get OSArchitecture" to have the Toolkit auto-determine which build to run. I've tried the command on Win7 and 10 successfully, and so it probably works on 8 too.

Doq

Smash Lord

Doqtor Kirby, you can use the command "wmic OS get OSArchitecture" to have the Toolkit auto-determine which build to run. I've tried the command on Win7 and 10 successfully, and so it probably works on 8 too.

And I could also use the existing environment variable "PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE" which would tell me anyway.

Last edited:

DRGN

Technowizard
What I meant was, it's possible to have hardware which is capable of running 64-bit software, yet only has a 32-bit OS running on it. In which case I was thinking that that variable would be based on the actual CPU hardware, not the OS, and the script would run the wrong build. But I just tested that case, and it gave me "x86", so apparently it's not basing its value from from the hardware, so I guess that would work. Also, I just found this. Looks like the value holds either x86 or "AMD64", which is also what I saw it report (maybe it varies a bit, based on something else?).

Last edited:

DRGN

Technowizard
Yet another mini-update.... Spent some time last night tracking down a few obscure bugs (applies to both builds). So, I guess now I can sloganize and say this version is better than ever! ...Hoo Ha.

Changelist (from v4.1):
- Fixed an obscure bug where files opened via right-click context menu or
drag-and-drop onto the exe file would have problems importing a _8, _9,
or _10 texture that doesn't have a palette
- Fixed properties saving for Lance Color Struct (LCS) on the Properties tab
- Fixed LCS offset display on Properties tab (was displaying color struct offset)
- Fixed GUI updating for texture width/height in the DAT Texture Tree​

Updated downloads in the OP.

DRGN

Technowizard
No. I don't think one is needed. They're in the MnSlChr file (.usd if your game version is set to English). So just open that and scroll down a little ways.

Doq Doq nvm, your image link was fine. My work just blocks that domain (as I'm guessing you've guessed). With a domain like that though, it's no wonder, lol.

Last edited:

nebula_benula

Smash Cadet

Loving the new 32 bit build, man.
However, I encountered a problem:

I replaced a .dat file (falcon's green skin) using import, and then it lagged out trying to rebuild the iso for a while. I unchecked the option, "Back-up When Rebuilding" and yet it still takes a really long time... I don't think it should have to rebuild the iso to replace one file? Am I wrong, or is there a way around this?

EDIT: I tried this again, attempting this time to replace falcon's neutral skin and then it said "import successful." I tried various other skins and it's trying to rebuild the iso though...

Last edited:

DRGN

Technowizard
Loving the new 32 bit build, man.
However, I encountered a problem:

I replaced a .dat file (falcon's green skin) using import, and then it lagged out trying to rebuild the iso for a while. I unchecked the option, "Back-up When Rebuilding" and yet it still takes a really long time... I don't think it should have to rebuild the iso to replace one file? Am I wrong, or is there a way around this?
It only needs to rebuild if the new file is a different size than the original. Can you post the file you tried to import? I've never seen the feature stall or fail, even on 32-bit. It's possible it could even indicate a problem with your hard drive or system.

Also, it doesn't affect build time whether 'Back-up when Rebuilding' is checked. The process involves recreating the game's FST (File System Table), and copying the game's data in order to insert the new information and realign it. The copying is the majority of the time spent, and needs to happen whether this option is checked or not (assuming it has to rebuild at all; again, which only happens if the new file is a different size).

Last edited:

CSTL!?

Smash Cadet
Would there be a reason that character files are not showing up in the 20XX 4.05 iso when opened in DTW?

DRGN

Technowizard
Thanks for your guys' patience for this update (particularly for the latest 20XX support). Been away from home most of this last week and weekend. But I finally got that uploaded, and it also includes a few new features.

I think once some of you guys start figuring out how the Properties and Structural Analysis tab can be used, you might really like them. The latter should also be useful for researching new structures. Although, for fast testing of specific values, I would recommend Dolphin and direct RAM tweaking.

Changelist (from v4.1.1):
- Support for 20XX 4.05 added (plus better 20XX stage file name descriptions)
- Structural Analysis (SA) tab improvements:
- Now shows all sibling Mesh Structures
- Completed proper hierarchical attachments of Child Bones
- Fixed issue of properties not refreshing in GUI with modified values
- Mipmap info added to Image Data Header structures
- Numbering added to Objects
- "Show in DAT Texture Tree" now works for all structs under 'Object'
- Partial stage file support
- Replaced 'Hide...' feature with 'Highlight...' feature in context menu​
- 'View Hex' feature added to Disc File Tree (very useful for quick checks)
- Improved texture recognition (eliminates rendering of most of those non-textures)
- Mipmap identification added! (light blue highlighting on mipmapped textures)​

Top Bottom