• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DAT Texture Wizard (current version: 6.1.4)

DRGN

Technowizard
Well, I tried some things in GIMP & Photoshop yesterday. Not as much luck as I was hoping for. Not sure who cares about the "long story," but I'll explain anyway: although pngs don't support a full alpha channel with palettes, they're still supposed to be able to have transparency through the use of the tRNS chunk (a section of data in the png file). But the tRNS chunk is what's called an "ancillary" chunk, which basically means it's optional, and not necessary for reading/rendering the file (so an image application can discard such chunks if it doesn't recognize them). Looks like GIMP, wimgt (the converter my script and DTW use), and [I think] Photoshop don't support it. Though I'm not completely sure about Photoshop, because it didn't seem like it was even opening my test image correctly in the first place. Might need a plugin for better png support. But I can't believe Photoshop can't handle it already.

Anyway, @ Milun Milun I still think it's possible to do what you want with a simple trick and a little manual editing if you're interested. Do you know how we can move the doors that open/close, or change where they end up while open/closed?

Maybe I should add the ability to directly edit palettes in DTW3. That is, if others would really find it useful.

CeLL

Smash Lord
Maybe I should add the ability to directly edit palettes in DTW3. That is, if others would really find it useful.
That would be great (BrawlBox has the ability too). Then you could assign arbitrary unused colors as transparent colors and switch them in DTW3.

Milun

Smash Ace
(Sorry, on a mobile)

I don't think I know how to change the doors to that level of detail, buuuuuut... I kind of cheated and removed them, and instead used the inner doors. More in a couple of hours. This method is not without its flaws though.

Milun

Smash Ace
Liiiiiiiiike so. As you can see, there are still a few bugs left with my method (the bottom isn't fully covered for instance (see Player 3) and the moved name entry looks terrible. I'll investigate the position data further in a few days.

Anutim

Smash Apprentice
Liiiiiiiiike so. As you can see, there are still a few bugs left with my method (the bottom isn't fully covered for instance (see Player 3) and the moved name entry looks terrible. I'll investigate the position data further in a few days.

How did you change the outline to green on the select portraits btw? I'm also looking forwward to your updates on this, this is amazing so far!

Milun

Smash Ace
You mean the small icon boxes? The borders are a part of the textures. You can change them to whatever you like.

Here's the download (this hack was made for a Melbourne group of Smashers, hence the weird logo. I'd say there's still probably a lot that can be done to improve this, but I'll leave it for now. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

By the way, the download is .ukd

http://puu.sh/hFLTs/19a5604875.ukd

Last edited:

Milun

Smash Ace
Here's some offsets for changing these:
0x00359274 - P1 Char border position data
0x003592B4 - P2 Char border position data
0x003592F4 - P3 Char border position data
0x00359334 - P4 Char border position data

0x003593B4 - P1 Char logo pos data
0x003593F4 - P2 Char logo pos data
0x00359434 - P3 Char logo pos data
0x00359474 - P4 Char logo pos data

0x003594F4 - P1 Char image pos data
0x00359534 - P2 Char image pos data
0x00359574 - P3 Char image pos data
0x003595B4 - P4 Char image pos data

0x0035A6B4 - P1 Char/Nickname pos data
0x0035A7F4 - P2 Char/Nickname pos data
0x0035A934 - P3 Char/Nickname pos data
0x0035AA74 - P4 Char/Nickname pos data

0x0035B2F4 - P1 HMN button pos data (does NOT move its hitbox)
0x0035B374 - P2 HMN button pos data (does NOT move its hitbox)
0x0035B3F4 - P3 HMN button pos data (does NOT move its hitbox)
0x0035B474 - P4 HMN button pos data (does NOT move its hitbox)

Last edited:

Kale.

Smash Cadet
Sorry to revive the thread but I've been unable to customize my CSS portraits and I've gotten this image through following @ DRGN DRGN 's instructions on GIMP. This is what I made before I convert it to a .tpl.

However, when I stuff it into my .usd file via DTW, I get this:

Thoughts people? I must have done something wrong in making the .tpl file (I feel like I've made a common mistake).

In addition, I'm interested in changing the text in the top left corner of the CSS, and the image and text on the bottom of the stage CSS (like in the Beast V one) to my own images. Do we know the image files I need to replace and their offsets in MnSlChr?

DRGN

Technowizard
Sorry to revive the thread but I've been unable to customize my CSS portraits and I've gotten this image through following @ DRGN DRGN 's instructions on GIMP. This is what I made before I convert it to a .tpl.

However, when I stuff it into my .usd file via DTW, I get this:

Thoughts people? I must have done something wrong in making the .tpl file (I feel like I've made a common mistake).

In addition, I'm interested in changing the text in the top left corner of the CSS, and the image and text on the bottom of the stage CSS (like in the Beast V one) to my own images. Do we know the image files I need to replace and their offsets in MnSlChr?
Np, it's totally fine to post here.

Looks like you did the texture editing right. That one you posted is good (editing that properly is usually the hardest part). I think the only thing you didn't do was put the image type (_3) on the end of the file name. e.g. "textureFilename_3.png". I just added that and put it through DTW with MnSlChr, and got this:

TEST01-2.png

:)

I saw you already found the info on the other textures in the other thread. As for the text on in the top-left of the CSS, I posted the offsets for all the different text that appears there here.

Kale.

Smash Cadet
Thanks a lot - I'll give this a go when I get to my computer tonight. I'm only scratching the surface of Melee hacking and it's already so intricate. My current project is making a 20XX mod for my university (sorta like the Beast V).

I converted the file to a tpl using a program I found... Can I stick the PNG into DTW and it'll convert automatically? I might've gone wrong there as well...

DRGN

Technowizard
Thanks a lot - I'll give this a go when I get to my computer tonight. I'm only scratching the surface of Melee hacking and it's already so intricate. My current project is making a 20XX mod for my university (sorta like the Beast V).

I converted the file to a tpl using a program I found... Can I stick the PNG into DTW and it'll convert automatically? I might've gone wrong there as well...
Yeah, you can give it a PNG or TPL. Also, if for any reason you still want to do PNG/TPL conversions yourself, DTW comes with a program (a script actually, called "PNG to-from TPL.bat") that can do so for you, most likely easier than any other program you can find. Just drag-and-drop any number of PNGs or TPLs onto the script, and it'll convert all of them to the opposite format. Just make sure you have the image type on the end of the filename for this too like I mentioned before.

And installing these programs to your right-click context menu (described in the OP) makes them even easier to use.

DRGN

Technowizard
Oh, I C.

If you only have one system but know how to install an OS, you could dual boot it (create a new partition on one of your drives and install the OS to that; then every time you boot up your machine, you can choose to use Windows or Mac). This is possible if your Mac was sold after 2006, since that's when they started using Intel processors.

Or you could simulate Windows with a VM (Virtual Machine). Just google it if it sounds like something you'd like to try. Both methods are quite useful and have their own advantages/disadvantages.

CeLL

Smash Lord
@ DRGN DRGN I got it working - I guess my program that was converting the files messed them up somehow. Thank you!

However, the open ports are now messed up - check it out:

You overwrote parts of other textures after the port door when you tried to overwrite it because it was too long. Start with a fresh MnSlChr

krvntn

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Cyke_g
20 - 0008cf20 MIP -- 0, 7, 0
27 - 00081c20 MIP -- 0, 8, 0
32 - 0008fa20 MIP -- 0, 7, 0

How do I input the MIP offsets ? I don't know how to read that.

Anutim

Smash Apprentice
I didn't even know Melee had MIP maps, LOL. I was actually very sure it didn't, do you know where they're being used?

krvntn

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Cyke_g
Yoshi's Story placement file. They are used where my custom textures didn't load on my lastest stage hack, take a look at the texture thread

Anutim

Smash Apprentice
What... As far as I know, nothing on YS has MIP maps. At least nothing I've replaced, and could you give a direct link to where you found them?

CeLL

Smash Lord
What... As far as I know, nothing on YS has MIP maps. At least nothing I've replaced, and could you give a direct link to where you found them?
Idk anything about mip maps but I know that YS dumps these.
upload_2015-6-18_14-47-18.png

DRGN

Technowizard
Ohh yeah, mipmaps. I remember these. Didn't recognize it at first by just "MIP".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mipmap

I found a different good resource once on mipmaps once but I don't remember where (can't remember if it was actually pertaining to Melee). I'll post it if I find it again.

Would be crazy to have part of a stage or something change based on how zoomed in the camera is.

Anutim

Smash Apprentice
Idk anything about mip maps but I know that YS dumps these.
Awesome, by replicating this we'll be able to add a lot more detail to pretty much everything in-game (as long as there's enough space for the image data). Would be nice if we could import/export all of these to/from .dds files (or another format that uses MIP maps).

EDIT: DRGN, would be ballin' to have this feature in the Texture Wizard. :D

Last edited:

CeLL

Smash Lord
Speaking of this, you can actually tell the encoding by the TPL itself. I don't know how, but BrawlBox does it. @ DRGN DRGN

DRGN

Technowizard
It's currently used as a parameter for converting a PNG to TPL before it's written into the dat file.

It's pretty easy to check the type within the file when the image is in TPL form (as I'm sure you already know), but when the texture is in PNG format there is naturally no indication within the file for what type it should be within Melee. I'm guessing BrawlBox might look at the headers for where the texture is going to go in the game and use that for the conversion process. But that's kinda limiting, because what if you specifically want to use a different type? For example to change a black and white texture to something with color? Or add a alpha channel?

Last edited:

ZephaniahNoah

Smash Rookie
insert the type in the filename.
I figured that from the error and tried png.png png.PNG PNG.png and PNG.PNG but It didn't work. If I'm doing something wrong you'll have to give me an example. Sorry, I just can't figure it out.

Last edited:

ZephaniahNoah

Smash Rookie
The type of the image output. Common ones are _3, _5, _a (or _10)
Oh! Type, not format! This is confusing. So is the type is referring to part of the actual tpl image after converting? And/Or part of the converting process? Sorry I'm new to hacking GC games. Thanks

DRGN

Technowizard
This thread will teach you everything you need to know. Specifically, check out the pre-guide basics in the first section. Lesson 3 explains the texture types.

Dark Mario Bros

Smash Rookie
i'm having a little trouble to change the eyes of mario (plmrbu.dat)
here some examples:
The Default one worked nice

but the others eyes are going like this:

These are the ones that aren't working (I'm using Steelia's Texture Pack):

is there anything that i can do to fix it?

DRGN

Technowizard
i'm having a little trouble to change the eyes of mario (plmrbu.dat)
here some examples:
The Default one worked nice

but the others eyes are going like this:

These are the ones that aren't working (I'm using Steelia's Texture Pack):

is there anything that i can do to fix it?
It looks like a palette problem. Their data is probably separate in these cases (as is common with eyes). Were you using image data offsets as well as palette data offsets in order to replace the palettes too?

If you're not sure how to get the palette offsets, check earlier in this thread, there were a bunch of posts talking about that.

Dark Mario Bros

Smash Rookie
@ DRGN DRGN I kinda get it how to find the Palette Offset, but i dont know very well how to change it into Placements.txt
for example :

37 - 000688a0

i was reading the user guide and I found this example

C:\exampleFolder\palettedImage_123456_8.tpl --> 0123F:3210F

so, what should I do ?

Last edited:

ZetaWolf

Smash Apprentice
NNID
JackRegisteel
I want to get into Texture modifications and such. Do you have any suggestions as to where I could learn how it works? Thanks! :D

Last edited:
Top Bottom