• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dash attack usage

Captain_Mythic

Smash Rookie
I've been playing Roy for around 9 months now and haven't been able to figure out how to use dash attack effectively. As of now, the only real times I use it are after an f-throw, during combos to get my opponent above me for juggles, or I rarely mix it into my neutral in place of dtilt, grab, or side-b. I feel like it's such a commitment that throwing it out is really risky, but it has good followups. I'm mostly curious on how I should use it neutral. Also, is it worth the risk to use it when my opponent is at crouch cancel %? What about on aerial opponents?

Bag'O'Nuts

PM4LIFE
I've found it to be a very situational move so you can't really pinpoint a recurring scenario where it should be applied. You are correct that it is risky if thrown out unsafely. It's effective if you need a quick hit against someone out of JC grab range. It can be used to set up aerials and Fsmash but it's not the greatest tool for neutral. It's also very susceptible to CC so don't use it against opponents who crouch a lot. Like you, I don't see most top Roys using it very much. So I'd say don't stress about it. Play around a bit to see what works for you

Last edited:

G13_Flux

Smash Lord
something interesting to note, it causes knockdown on ASDI down at 0% on all characters, just like dtilt. as a neutral tool, its generally more favorable to use dtilt beause of its far superior frame data. dash attack is very rewadring though during combos and tech chases, and because its angle is behind, you can create some great DI mixups on characters using it. definitely worth using, just during tech chases and combos moreso than from neutral. sometimes it can be worth it from neutral because it reaches farther, quicker than anything else, but its just something you throw out there to nab someone when they arent expecting it mid DD.

my experience with it in a lump sum:
-great for use during combos (after fair, dtilt, throws, tech chases, etc.) in order to set up great DI mixups
-mix into neutral very occasionally

Taytertot

Smash Ace
i only really use it for mid-combos so that i can continue hitting my opponent as it is incredibly risky otherwise.

if you happen to be play against a spacie and are chain grabbing them and they DI far enough away that you dont think you can dash over for a jump cancel grab then dash attack can often give you the chance to regrab them since the tipper dash attack pops them more or less straight up (depending on DI of course) but still close enough to the ground for regrabs.

LIVERPOOP

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MartinSkrtel37
3DS FC
0130-1906-5039
it feels like a move you throw out in a fairly safe situation to mix it up, throw your opponent off. you can even get 2 or 3 in a row if you use it randomly in the context of the game/set.

Smolder

Smash Apprentice
PSA: We have a Roy Discord in case you want to discuss more about this topic.

Top Bottom