• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Darkstalkers 4 Ideas

dezeray112

Smash Hero
It has been almost over twenty years since Capcom's gothic-horror fighting game the Darkstalkers had last seen a sequel with their third game back in 1997. Since then several of their characters made crossover appearances within different fighting game franchises such as Marvel Vs Capcom and Project X Zone which featured the likes of Morrigan, Felicia, Hsien-Ko, Jedah Dohma etc.

Although Yoshinori Ono formerly of Capcom did make attempts to revive the franchise in the way he did with the Street Fighter series, it wasn't to be as Resurrection failed to meet sales expectations. Meaning that the sequel did not came to fruition and the Darkstalkers remained dead ever since.

Anyways, lets say if there were a new Darkstalkers game in the works, what sort of story plot and new characters/monsters would you like to see?

AlRex

Smash Lord
I had a few(heh) ideas, trying to go into classic horror archetypes that aren't already delved into.
-A ghost girl, similar to the Ring or the Grudge, though probably with a more differentiated design. Could utilize their flight, phasing, invisibility, all that ghostly stuff, as well as some sort of trickery/telekinesis esque moves?
-Witch and/or spider. Basically the last "Halloween decoration" they don't have. They have vampires, werewolves, mummies, Frankenstein's monster, Lord Raptor is a skeleton/zombie, Hsien-Ko is a (much cuter) zombie. Maybe Tessa from Red Earth can be the witch, but if they can come up with something new, that's cool, too. I guess pumpkins/Jack-O-Lanterns or scarecrows, too, maybe, but I haven't got as big ideas there that don't just sort of rip off Jack Skellington or Batman's Scarecrow.
-Phantom of the Opera and/or Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde. Basically the last big traditional literary or Universal horror ones they haven't done yet. A Phantom guy could be a sort of rock opera/"piano God" rival to Lord Raptor, with a more flamboyant and flashy style. Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde could inspire a sort of mad scientist stance change/transforming character who has a big beastly form. I would've also said the Invisible Man, but what can you do there that a ghost couldn't?
-Demon lady. Straight up, fire, pitchfork, summons little goblin demons, all that stuff. Maybe she could be Pyron's daughter?
-A more typical alien invader, like Crypto from Destroy All Humans or the Mars Attacks ones. Not quite Universal/gothic horror, but it fits with old movie monsters in general.
-A "scream queen"/last girl type with an inadvertent psychic connection to three other slashers that she summons for attacks. Wanted to incorporate slashers in a less standard way. Maybe she can be combined with the ghost girl. The three she'd have on command would be a killer doll (maybe a teddy bear to be different enough), a more tricky one like your Freddy Krueger, Candyman, Pinhead, what-have-you, and a big lumbering one like Jason Voorhees, Michael Myers, or even CAPCOM's own Nemesis, somewhat. These could all be separated into their own characters if that got too complicated, though, just figure out more ways for them to be original compared to just straight up having knock-off Chucky, Freddy, Jason, etc.
-A little ghoul/goblin/gremlin/Rumplestilskin type guy. Yea
-A harpy/tengu/flying bird woman.
-Sort of overlaps with BB Hood's attitude, but in a different way, I might like to see a guy who's mostly just a guy, but utilizes a lot of craftiness and various different weapons/common objects. Something like Hannibal Lecter, Dexter Morgan, Patrick Bateman, etc.
-Because Jaws is such a big horror move, and there's no end of oceanic horror movies, perhaps a big shark dude (or shark girl?) could be something?
-King Kong and Godzilla are also the big "big monsters"/kaiju types, and apes and lizards/dinos are common enough in general, although Sasquatch is already an ape, I guess. Maybe, in some way, a giant animal of some sort. Maybe they're a giant boss similar to some of the MVC bosses.
-Another giant boss idea could be a slowly growing more abstract Eldritch entity, rivaling Pyron and Jedah in power.
-A few I don't have as much to say on: cyclops, Medusa/naga, slime/muck monster, evil clown, Headless Horseman, various yokai, possessed kid.

Surprisingly a lot of ground they could still cover, especially if they move further on throughout horror history. Also Ruby Heart and Amingo seemed like Darkstalkers characters, and one of them was said to almost have been one, IIRC, so add them in. Not like they'll get to do much else. If you want a big publicity boost, Dante and/or Vergil could show up, as well. Arthur or Firebrand, too, maybe. Maybe not Resident Evil, since that world is on too different of a power level, but Frank West from Dead Rising could show up, given how odd that series can be. But there are a lot of original ideas to be had, so maybe avoid it just being a CAPCOM Allstars game, which is a separate thing.

dezeray112

Smash Hero
Surprisingly a lot of ground they could still cover, especially if they move further on throughout horror history. Also Ruby Heart and Amingo seemed like Darkstalkers characters, and one of them was said to almost have been one, IIRC, so add them in.
I believe it was Seth Killian and Yoshinori Ono both formerly of Capcom who said that Ruby Heart was a rejected Darkstalkers concept.

Another interesting tidbit made by Takayuki Nakayama is that he said that the concept of Street Fighter V's F.A.N.G. was based upon a character named "XXsuXXXX" from an aborted new Darkstalkers game.

Anyways on ideas for a new Darkstalkers characters, a Phantom of the Opera inspired character, a Jekyll and Hyde character, a gorgon are ones that I like to see. Plus if there were any suitable guest characters then Dante or Devil May Cry fits the bill.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
We could use more cryptid-based characters given the introduction of Sasquatch. Expand its lore with not just mythological creatures/beings but also cryptids.

Chupacabra (Mexico)
Mapinguari (Brazil)
Jersey Devil
Lizard Man of Scape Ore Swamp
Mothman
Yowie (Australia)

As for more mythology-based creature characters.

Any Greek mythology creature
Aswang (Philippines)
Dullahan (Ireland)
Kushtaka (Alaska)
Shark-based character (Polynesia); I know sharks are heavily involved in Polynesian myths of all sorts.
Troll (Scandinavia)
Wendigo (Canada); More Canadians, the merrier!

Also given its setting and lore. They should have their own incarnation and version of Krampus.

Last edited:

MurasameBro210456

Smash Rookie
NNID
TerraLobster456
Switch FC
SW-3749-7399-8764
It has been almost over twenty years since Capcom's gothic-horror fighting game the Darkstalkers had last seen a sequel with their third game back in 1997. Since then several of their characters made crossover appearances within different fighting game franchises such as Marvel Vs Capcom and Project X Zone which featured the likes of Morrigan, Felicia, Hsien-Ko, Jedah Dohma etc.

Although Yoshinori Ono formerly of Capcom did make attempts to revive the franchise in the way he did with the Street Fighter series, it wasn't to be as Resurrection failed to meet sales expectations. Meaning that the sequel did not came to fruition and the Darkstalkers remained dead ever since.

Anyways, lets say if there were a new Darkstalkers game in the works, what sort of story plot and new characters/monsters would you like to see?
I have ideas for new characters for the game that can join the old cast.

Link to them: https://www.deviantart.com/capricorndiem456/gallery/62138549/darkstalkers-ocs

Linkmain08

Smash Rookie
To be honest I am surprised no one has just decided to make an original spiritual successor for the Darkstalkers series. Something like a Bloodstained to Castlevania or a Yooka Laylee to Banjo Kazooie. The idea of monsters duking it out is such a great concept to waste. I got a couple of character monster ideas based on monster tropes. And by looking at this thread it seems like there are others that have ideas for a Darkstalkers (eque) game.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
To be honest I am surprised no one has just decided to make an original spiritual successor for the Darkstalkers series. Something like a Bloodstained to Castlevania or a Yooka Laylee to Banjo Kazooie. The idea of monsters duking it out is such a great concept to waste. I got a couple of character monster ideas based on monster tropes. And by looking at this thread it seems like there are others that have ideas for a Darkstalkers (eque) game.
Just as long as one of those characters is a kushtaka, I'm down.

Come on who wouldn't want to play as a shapeshifting, mind-bending otter man?

ninjahmos

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8579-4123-9016
In case anybody’s interested, I made a petition for Capcom to revive Darkstalkers. I know petitions don’t always work, but you never know what might happen. Anyway, here it is: https://www.change.org/p/capcom-revive-darkstalkers

I don’t really know that much about Darkstalkers, but here are a few ideas (I might come up with more ideas later):

- New gothic-horror monster/mythological creature type characters and new Vampire, Succubus, Frankenstein, etc. type characters. For example, we could get a new Vampire character that has powers similar to Demitri's powers, and a new Succubus character that's related to Morrigan and Lilith and has powers similar to theirs. We could also get a new Frankenstein-like character that has powers similar to Victor's powers. I’d honestly love to see a Jamaican (or at least Caribbean) mythological creature as a character with a reggae theme.

- Make Dee, Shadow, and Marionette fully playable characters.

- Add Ruby Heart, Amingo, SonSon, Tessa (Red Earth), and Gene (God Hand) as playable characters.

- New, different types of stages, like a Mesoamerican temple (but then again, there’s Huitzil and his stages) and a Greek/Roman Gladiator arena.

- Character Themes. For characters that debuted in Darkstalkers: Night Warriors (Darkstalkers 1) and characters that debuted in Night Warriors: Darkstalkers' Revenge (Darkstalkers 2), they should use/remix their themes from Night Warriors: Darkstalkers' Revenge, and for characters that debuted in Vampire Savior (Darkstalkers 3), they should use/remix their themes from Vampire Savior.

- Stage Music. I think each stage should have dynamic music, like in Street Fighter V. In Round 1, it plays the original melody of the stage theme. In Round 2, the melody is improvised, but the melody of the hook stays the same, but with more instruments as accompaniment, like pianos, organs, keyboards/synths, guitars, bass, drums/percussion, vocals/choir, horns, strings, wind instruments and woodwind instruments, and other orchestration, EWIs, etc. And in the Final Round, it should play a differently improvised melody, but, again, the melody of the hook stays the same, but with even more instruments as accompaniment.

- Not only should this game have Japanese voice acting, but it should also have English voice acting. The English voice directors should be Taliesin Jaffe and Jonathan Klein (New Generation Pictures).

Last edited:

dezeray112

Smash Hero
In case anybody’s interested, I made a petition for Capcom to revive Darkstalkers. I know petitions don’t always work, but you never know what might happen. Anyway, here it is: https://www.change.org/p/capcom-revive-darkstalkers

I don’t really know that much about Darkstalkers, but here are a few ideas (I might come up with more ideas later):

- New gothic-horror monster/mythological creature type characters and new Vampire, Succubus, Frankenstein, etc. type characters. For example, we could get a new Vampire character that has powers similar to Demitri's powers, and a new Succubus character that's related to Morrigan and Lilith and has powers similar to theirs. We could also get a new Frankenstein-like character that has powers similar to Victor's powers. I’d honestly love to see a Jamaican (or at least Caribbean) mythological creature as a character with a reggae theme.
I could see them bring someone like Belial Aensland (Morrigan's father) or Baraba Kreutz (Jon Talbain's father) as part of the new characters and especially a grown-up Anita as one of the new playable characters. There are plenty of new archetypes that I do believe the new Darkstalkers entry can exploit such as a Phantom (inspired from the Phantom of the Opera), Gorgon, Mad Scientist, a Shapeshifting Super Villain etc.

- Make Dee, Shadow, and Marionette fully playable characters.

- Add Ruby Heart, Amingo, SonSon, Tessa (Red Earth), and Gene (God Hand) as playable characters.
Dee will most certainly act as the Evil Ryu of the Darkstalkers. I think Marionette might be an interesting character to transit over to a fully playable character. I do believe that Ruby Heart was apparently a rejected Darkstalkers concept but was revived for Marvel Vs Capcom 2. If there were any guest characters that the game could add, I say perhaps having someone like Splatterhouse's Rick Taylor, Bloodstained's Miriam, Samurai Shodown's Basara or even Dante of the Devil May Cry franchise are candidates.

- New, different types of stages, like a Mesoamerican temple (but then again, there’s Huitzil and his stages) and a Greek/Roman Gladiator arena.
I'm pretty sure that the new Darkstalkers entry will consist of new stages. Some I could see include an abandoned musical theatre, the ruins of a Greek temple etc.

Other than that, I think we will have to wait and see what the future holds for the Darkstalkers franchise in which I believe the 30th anniversary is within 3 years time.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Give me a Kushtaka-based character god dammit! For if we ever get a Darkstalkers 4 or reboot.
I think that a couple of guests from other Capcom games could work well to fill out the roster. Most notable examples to me are Tessa from Red Earth (she's literally a witch, it just seems perfect) and maybe Ruby Heart or even Amingo because the former was originally planned to be a Darkstalker soooo
Also Dante from Devil May Cry.

Easy too being both are owned by Capcom.

Last edited:

dezeray112

Smash Hero
I think that a couple of guests from other Capcom games could work well to fill out the roster. Most notable examples to me are Tessa from Red Earth (she's literally a witch, it just seems perfect) and maybe Ruby Heart or even Amingo because the former was originally planned to be a Darkstalker soooo
I'd also throw in someone from the Resident Evil franchise such as Village's Lady Dimitrescu.

Anyways, I know that Yoshinori Ono had campaigned so hard for a new Darkstalkers entry even though he wasn't able to achieve this goal. But I do hope someday that someone within Capcom can really bring the franchise back from the dead.

Oddball

Smash Lord
I don't want any guests.

This is Darkstalkers. Let it be just Darkstalkers.

With that said, they do really need to expand the roster. There's about 20 or so playable characters in the series right now. We need to at least double that.
And as it's been a long time since we saw the Darkstalkers last, let's incorporate that into the story. A twenty year time jump gives us an excuse to change around or tweak characters.

In fact, let's give every one a new look.

Even better, let's give every one multiple new looks. Hire multiple artists and have them design new looks of all the cast. Give each artists a theme and let them see what they can do. When you select your character, you can choose between Spooky Fun, Heavy Metal, Creepy Realistic, Classic, etc. Maybe even a costume style where it's obvious that the cast are just actors in cheap costumes. Make it look like an Universal Monsters or old Godzilla movie style.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Personal wants for DS4:
I want them to establish that Darkstalkers, Ghosts N’ Goblins and Red Earth all take place in the same universe, just different time periods. So DS is modern day, GnG is medieval times, and RE is ancient history.

The story would be a time travel plot revolving around Firebrand using the Time Crest(from Demon’s Crest) to open a portal to the present, and he’s searching for the other Crests.

Launch Roster:
All previous DS characters except Lilith(who was absorbed into Morrigan, but still appears during Morrigan’s doppelganger attacks)
Ruby Heart
Arthur and Firebrand(looking like badasses like they do in X Zone instead of dorks like they do in MvC)
Harry Grimoire(yes, from the stupid cartoon, but instead of being a useless kid, Merlin’s descendant is a young wizard homage to Harry Potter)
One more newcomer(my personal preference is the spider lady from the design contest. Either that or a Medusa character)

Total launch roster: 22

At the end of the main game’s story, a new portal is opened to the ancient times and the first 12 DLC characters(2 seasons worth) are all the Red Earth characters.

And of course, I want it to look like an ArcSys game.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I still want me some new characters.

Especially more cryptid-based characters as seen with Sasquatch.

Whether chupacabra, mothman, or whatever.

And I'll repeat again. Give me a Kushtaka-based character god dammit! Who wouldn't want to play as a shapeshifting mind-bending otter man?

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge
I think cryptids could be a particularly interesting way to take this...

One thing I'd love to see is an adaptation of the Solway Spaceman, but taken into a pretty eldritch route (think a little like The Thing.) Basically, it's implied to be some eldritch tentaclular alien hidden within the spacesuit in question, perhaps with the remains of the original astronaut in there too?

As you can imagine, the character would be best suited as a sort of mid-range grappler in a sense - having longer attacks than most due to the tentacles and the like, but a little laggier than other characters.

1635334218108.png
1635334311035.png

Geno Boost

Smash Master
A slime girl sounds good to have in a darkstalker game it can be cute and terrifying
Also Khaibit should become playable she serves Anakaris and was a part of his attack and she even had a skin in SFV for Menat I think it would make a lot of sense to learn more about her in darkstalker sequel similar to what happened to Kolin we have not seen her in action in SF3 and was serving Gill but now she is playable in SFV

Last edited:

dezeray112

Smash Hero
I do generally believe that there are plenty of archetypes that Darkstalkers have yet to exploit. Here are some new character ideas I have in mind:
  • Phantom - I could imagine that this phantom is talented musician who is motivated by inspiration, seeking out new ideas to complete his masterpiece in which his predeccessors were not able to achieve and to win back his love. Playstyle wise, maybe he could a quick and nimble fighter who can incorporate his violin as a weapon. His violin instrument can be played and used as a shield whilst his bow could be used as a fencing sabre (a cross between Yurika Kirishima of Rival Schools and Raphael of SoulCalibur.) Personality wise, I'd say he has a rather classy attitude and may have a rivalry amongst Demitri and Lord Raptor.
  • Gorgon - This character was once a beautiful goddess turned in to a hideous creature after she was banished from her realm to Makai. Her playstyle could consist of utilising petrification within her moveset to stun her opponents. I will say that despite her beautiful physique and hideous looks, she has a rather cold and vein personality.
  • Gumiho - Based upon a nine-tailed fox creature within the folktales of Korea, this character is from a long line of Gumiho's that once resided in Makai before they exiled themselves to live alongside with the humans to avoid conflict. She is a K-Pop artist who brings nothing but joy and pleasure and hopes to bring happiness within the humans and Makai residents. I think her gameplay should combine a mix of musical and dance moves with some stealthy moves based upon her Gumiho based powers.
  • Mad Scientist - Similar to the concept of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, this character had unleashed his wicked side after he drank a potion of his own creation in hopes of curing his disease. His wicked side entered Makai to continue his murdering spree. His personality will be based a lot more on his evil persona in which I could picture him as a cross between Jack the Ripper, a cold hearted murderer. Playstyle, I could see him utilise his variety of potions which he could use to throw at his opponent or perhaps drink these potions to gain different attributes that include speed, power and recovery.
  • Slime Monster - I'm not sure what I can say about its personality, but I can see its motivation is to cover and rule the entire Makai realm with a load of "slime." I could see the Slime Monster's playstyle to be similar to Clayfighter's "the Blob" and perhaps Killer Instinct's Glacius where it makes a lot of use with its slime and gooey moves. It can be thrown as a projectile, trapping their opponents or even use its tansformation to shapeshift in to certain objects (hammer etc.)
  • A new Dark Hunter - I did have plenty of ideas for what I would like this new Dark Hunter to be. My main idea was that this new Dark Hunter concept is based upon a chef who is seeking to find a rare ingredient within the depths of Makai to conjure up a new dish for his restaurant which is in danger of losing customers. Personality wise, I will say maybe somewhere similar on the line with chefs where they can lose their temper such as Gordon Ramsay for example. I could see his playstyle consist of using cutlery from a range of knives and cooking pots, throwing ingredients as projectiles to his opponent and calling out his two beautiful assistants which I will call them "Delia" and "Bonnie" to help out within his moveset.
In addition, I do believe characters from other Capcom franchises such as Red Earth, Ghouls n' Goblins, Resident Evil and Devil May Cry should have ties with the Darkstalkers franchise.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I do generally believe that there are plenty of archetypes that Darkstalkers have yet to exploit. Here are some new character ideas I have in mind:
  • Phantom - I could imagine that this phantom is talented musician who is motivated by inspiration, seeking out new ideas to complete his masterpiece in which his predeccessors were not able to achieve and to win back his love. Playstyle wise, maybe he could a quick and nimble fighter who can incorporate his violin as a weapon. His violin instrument can be played and used as a shield whilst his bow could be used as a fencing sabre (a cross between Yurika Kirishima of Rival Schools and Raphael of SoulCalibur.) Personality wise, I'd say he has a rather classy attitude and may have a rivalry amongst Demitri and Lord Raptor.
  • Gorgon - This character was once a beautiful goddess turned in to a hideous creature after she was banished from her realm to Makai. Her playstyle could consist of utilising petrification within her moveset to stun her opponents. I will say that despite her beautiful physique and hideous looks, she has a rather cold and vein personality.
  • Gumiho - Based upon a nine-tailed fox creature within the folktales of Korea, this character is from a long line of Gumiho's that once resided in Makai before they exiled themselves to live alongside with the humans to avoid conflict. She is a K-Pop artist who brings nothing but joy and pleasure and hopes to bring happiness within the humans and Makai residents. I think her gameplay should combine a mix of musical and dance moves with some stealthy moves based upon her Gumiho based powers.
  • Mad Scientist - Similar to the concept of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, this character had unleashed his wicked side after he drank a potion of his own creation in hopes of curing his disease. His wicked side entered Makai to continue his murdering spree. His personality will be based a lot more on his evil persona in which I could picture him as a cross between Jack the Ripper, a cold hearted murderer. Playstyle, I could see him utilise his variety of potions which he could use to throw at his opponent or perhaps drink these potions to gain different attributes that include speed, power and recovery.
  • Slime Monster - I'm not sure what I can say about its personality, but I can see its motivation is to cover and rule the entire Makai realm with a load of "slime." I could see the Slime Monster's playstyle to be similar to Clayfighter's "the Blob" and perhaps Killer Instinct's Glacius where it makes a lot of use with its slime and gooey moves. It can be thrown as a projectile, trapping their opponents or even use its tansformation to shapeshift in to certain objects (hammer etc.)
  • A new Dark Hunter - I did have plenty of ideas for what I would like this new Dark Hunter to be. My main idea was that this new Dark Hunter concept is based upon a chef who is seeking to find a rare ingredient within the depths of Makai to conjure up a new dish for his restaurant which is in danger of losing customers. Personality wise, I will say maybe somewhere similar on the line with chefs where they can lose their temper such as Gordon Ramsay for example. I could see his playstyle consist of using cutlery from a range of knives and cooking pots, throwing ingredients as projectiles to his opponent and calling out his two beautiful assistants which I will call them "Delia" and "Bonnie" to help out within his moveset.
In addition, I do believe characters from other Capcom franchises such as Red Earth, Ghouls n' Goblins, Resident Evil and Devil May Cry should have ties with the Darkstalkers franchise.
->No Kushtaka-based character.

0/10

ninjahmos

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8579-4123-9016
I still want me some new characters.

Especially more cryptid-based characters as seen with Sasquatch.

Whether chupacabra, mothman, or whatever.

And I'll repeat again. Give me a Kushtaka-based character god dammit! Who wouldn't want to play as a shapeshifting mind-bending otter man?
I looked up what a Kushtaka is, and I have to say: it looks a little…creepy.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I looked up what a Kushtaka is, and I have to say: it looks a little…creepy.
More the reason we could use a Kushtaka-based character for this series. :D

You thought otters despite their cute cuddly appearances were nasty enough. Imagine what an otter man spirit would be capable of.

ninjahmos

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8579-4123-9016
More the reason we could use a Kushtaka-based character for this series. :D

You thought otters despite their cute cuddly appearances were nasty enough. Imagine what an otter man spirit would be capable of.
Now it makes me wonder how dangerous otters can really be… Anyway, like I said before, I think a Jamaican mythological monster-based character with a reggae theme would be pretty cool, as well.

Last edited:

dezeray112

Smash Hero
Five ports of the Darkstalkers games announced as part of the Capcom Fighters Collection:

Announced for PS4, Xbox One, Switch and Steam.

I think this will be a great opportunity to give Darkstalkers the limelight they thoroughly deserved and hopefully this could perhaps gauge interest for a sequel.

ninjahmos

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8579-4123-9016
Happy 28th Anniversary to Darkstalkers! 28 years ago, Darkstalkers: The Night Warriors, the first game in the Darkstalkers series, was released to arcades.

Last edited:

Geno Boost

Smash Master
curious if Darkstalkers 4 had some characters outside their series who would be fitting and wont feel out of place Red Earth and Ghosts' N Goblins are probably the closest thing but what if it had to be someone outside of Capcom?
i do think Pyramid Head would be fitting

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
curious if Darkstalkers 4 had some characters outside their series who would be fitting and wont feel out of place Red Earth and Ghosts' N Goblins are probably the closest thing but what if it had to be someone outside of Capcom?
Dante is another obvious one.

Him and Sir Arthur I feel would be Capcom guests who'd fit the most in a new Darkstalkers game.

Last edited:

dezeray112

Smash Hero
If it is from Red Earth, the ones that would fit include Lavia, Kongou, Hydron and Tessa. If there were any from Ghosts' N Goblins, I think Sir Arthur and Firebrand are the two that can fit.

If there were others from outside of Capcom, I could see Miriam of Bloodstained, Alucard of Castlevania, Rick Taylor of Splatterhouse and Basara of Samurai Shodown as candidates.

Oddball

Smash Lord
I think Castlevania is a better match for Darkstalkers than Silent Hill.

ninjahmos

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8579-4123-9016
I may have asked this before, but what timeline is Darkstalkers supposed to take place in? Because I feel like Capcom can't decide on that.

Last edited:

Infinity Sorcerer

Smash Champion
I may have asked this before, but what timeline is Darkstalkers supposed to take place in? Because I feel like Capcom can't decide on that.
There is a Street Fighter X Darkstalkers comic that established them in the same universe, yet the UDON Comics aren't canon, is most likely to say that they are separated universes and only are "connected" when the convenience require it like in the VS. games where some Street Fighter characters knows Darkstalkers characters.

If you are talking about the age where the games takes place, more or less modern days.

Infinity Sorcerer

Smash Champion
My general concept for Darkstalkers 4:
  • First for all and most important, make it some sort of soft-reboot like Samurai Shodown and SoulCalibur did, main reason is that #1 the games are very old and they would require to cover a huge gap of information for people who is starting to play (sure, the story isn't what matters for a lot of people but I still think it's something necessary). It could also make certain characters appear earlier with more sense (like Donovan, Hsien-Ko and BL.B. Hood)
  • Secondly, more of a thing I personally would like than anything, give the project to Autumn Games, they talked time ago about how they would gladly do the game and I think even if the game wouldn't look bad with 3D graphics a good part of the charm of the Darkstalkers games are the goofy and cartoonish animations, something that I personally think it would be difficult to adapt correctly with 3D models).
  • Mantain most of the Darkstalkers 3 mechanics, maybe only changing some things that even if I personally like maybe for the sake of balance it should be changed like the 99 meters or for make thinks more simple like merge EX and ES.
    • This also extend to the character's inputs, particulary the massive amount of weird-ass Raging Demons with different commands that just doesn't work has well in comparison to the og. So either the character gets a regular motion input or it changes to the original SGS command.
    • Also even if the OGs Dark Force are funny I think the Vampire Savior's 2 Dark Forces are more balanced, most of the traits of those moves where added has super moves so I don't feel it has a huge loss.
    • Also BRING BACK THE SPECIAL CANCELS FROM DARKSTALKERS 1
  • Since it's fair to say that Marvel vs Capcom was in good part a Darkstalkers spiritual succesor I think we can borrow some things from the MvC series here, particulary the aerial combat that even if it's true that it exists definitively it's not at the same level of craziness than MvC.
  • In terms of characters, I don't see all characters coming, mainly since this is a soft-reboot that even if doesn't touch too much of the characters backstories we are retoming the first game's story, so characters like Q-Bee, Lilith and Jedah who are intrisically related to the sequel wouldn't work, either way in the case of Jedah I think we can include him (and even Lilith) if we do some changes, but definitively would be DLC material lol.
  • I want to make a list of characters later, but I just want say that I aren't against the idea to connect Ghosts n' Goblins, Red Earth, etc with Darkstalkers but for what I'm actually against is to use directly already existent characters, you can have a character based on them like a Witch based on Tessa, a Gargolye based on the Red Arremer/Firebrand, a Nephilim based on Dante (but, y'know, Dante Dante and not the other Dante). I aren't actually against guests in all games but considering that this is supposed to be the revival of the franchise I think the game should first establish itself before think on add characters from other franchises.
  • And since the game would be mostly be did by another company, GIVE THEM THEIR TIME, almost all the times a Capcom game fails is because they tries to finish the game in time record even if they don't have the resource (ejem ejem MvC Infinite ejem).

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Updated list of mythical-creature/being and cryptid based characters I'd love to see in a hypothetical Darkstalkers 4 or reboot/remake.

Cryptids:

Chupacabra (Mexico)
Jersey Devil (United States)
Mothman (United States)
Flatwoods Monster (Outer Space); From my knowledge Pyron is the only alien character in the series, it'd be unique to have the series have another alien-based character.

Mythical:

Bunyip (Australia)
Dullahan (Ireland)
Gorgon (Greece)
Ijiraq (Canada)
Kushtaka (Alaska)
Shark-based character (Polynesia)
Troll (Norway)

Last edited:

Pizza Robo

Smash Journeyman
Here’s a list of Monsters i would like in Darkstalkers 4

Computer Virus
Griffin
Dragon
Minotaur
Genie
Chimera
Ghost Girl
Gargoyle
Garuda
Cockatrice
Kappa
Phoenix

Infinity Sorcerer

Smash Champion
I forget to make my own, but some ideas:
  • Witch, over all the one I'm impressed isnt done yet, it could be from Ireland (so, a Celtic witch)
  • Minotaur, a big, no-grappler guy. I think he should be inteligente to differenciate of Víctor tho.
  • Djinn, all the wish troublemaking would really fit Into Darkstalkers, being a le to morph between different things much like the most cartoonish despictions of them.
  • Tengu, while I dont think Darkstalkers should have too much focus in Japan and instead try to capitalice in other legends and myths, The Tengus are one of my favorite mythical creaturas and I think it would fit really well.
  • Kitsune, The other youkai I could think, Sure maybe there are more like kappa, oni, yukionna, etc. But I think the se two are enough.
  • "Jekyll & Hyde", you know, This dual character with two faces. I think it has potential.
  • Mothman, cryptids are cool and this is one of the most popular ones.
  • Nephilim, I think it could be a very cool concept for a rival for Donovan who is a Dhampir.
  • Angel, mostly coming from the same Nephilim root, maybe it could be their father/mother.
  • "Van Hellsing:" An old-school vampire hunter, The archetypical one who Attack with stacks, onion and things like that. Basicslly something like a Belmont.

Top Bottom