• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dark Link, the Mysterious Shadow Dopplegänger, Fights Its Way In!

Iridium

Smash Hero
The Shadow Doppelgänger:

Who is this?

As for who Dark Link is, it is well known as a recurring antagonist in the Legend of Zelda franchise, most notable for constant mimicking of Link's abilities, living up to its name. Having first appeared in Zelda II: The Adventure of Link, Dark Link has made numerous appearances as an enemy to Link, or has been referenced in other titles, including The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, and certain Super Smash Bros. titles as well.

What could it do/bring?

If anything, Dark Link could simply mimic the current adult Link we have in Ultimate, but the best part of his inclusion is that it could simply just copy the abilities of any Link that has existed in its home franchise too. In a way, there is a chance it doesn't have to be an echo in Smash, but that depends on what Link from the franchise is copied.

An Assist Trophy I would imagine could work, if it ever happened, would be the Thunderbird, which conveniently would go perfectly with the Great Palace as a stage. If not an Assist Trophy, a stage boss or hazard works just as fine.

When it comes to movesets, wouldn't it be nice to go with Zelda II's version? This actually would allow us to have a Link without any sort of projectile, as it only ever really uses a sword, which effectively forces a different playstyle from the other three. I will try to come up with a proper moveset tomorrow or anytime soon. Either way, more of the Zelda franchise gets rep, although music and some of the Links' moves (up aerial/Jump Thrust, down aerial/Down Thrust) do give it some light already.

Moveset (this will frequently be updated/edited for a finish):

Dark Link, as a fighter, realistically would be fairly quick, taking part inspiration from BOTW's description of Link's Dark Link set. As for size, since we will go with Zelda II's Dark Link, it would be a bit shorter than regular Link, closer to Young Link. Weight, for what is very close to a shadow (or just is), will be what Dark Link has less of compared to the other 3 Links, being closer to Pikachu instead. Jump height would be more or less average compared to the others.

If anything, it is possible for Dark Link to make use of teleportation, like in the Zelda games (slight OoT influence) in addition to a clash mechanic (also slight OoT reference). Perhaps more than just these.

As for the moveset (thanks to Blade of Evil's Bane Blade of Evil's Bane for some help):
Neutral attack: A simple downward and outward slash followed by a quick thrust. Primarily used to get opponents away from Dark Link, with a useful semi-spike angle. (8%)

Forward tilt: A somewhat sharp stab in front of Dark Link of average speed. Based on the same animation of its and Link's attack in Zelda II. (9%)

Up tilt: An upward slash similar to the other Links, but different in animation, looking somewhat like forward tilt, yet vertical. Can combo into itself at early percents. (6%)

Down tilt: A quick swipe of the sword downwards that launches the opponent upwards. Can combo into aerials, yet is weak. Safe on shield if spaced properly. (8%)

Dash attack: Dark Link briefly teleports during startup, and does a downward slash against the opponent a set distance ahead. Long duration for a dash attack when including endlag, but the teleport provides a bit of intangibility. (11%)

Up smash: An arcing slash aimed upwards, similar to Toon Link's. Covers a decent amount around Dark Link, and works great for KOs at moderately high percents. (12%)

Forward smash: Dark Link leans back a bit before swinging downwards, with this being one of its best finishers. Only hits once, also like Toon Link. Can be used to punish opponents who space their approaches poorly. (16%)

Down smash: Dark Link spins around itself while slashing outwardly, with the earlier hit being stronger than the later hit. Unsafe on shield, but perfect for hard punishes against careless opponents. (15% early hit/12% middle hit/9% later hit)

Up aerial: Also known as the Jump Thrust, Dark Link thrusts its sword out to attack opponents from above. Strong, and owns a long-lasting hitbox that can bypass airdodges. KOs opponents at percents similar to Link's up aerial. (14%)

Forward aerial: A stab similar to forward tilt, preceded by a brief disappearing of Dark Link's shadow. Does not allow for recovery aid despite the shadow, but is still fairly strong, like with the other Links. (13%)

Neutral aerial: Dark Link swings its sword in a 180° arc in front of it. Allows for excellent coverage of its body, but is fairly weaker than the other Links and a bit slower. (7%)

Down aerial: Also known as the Down Thrust, Dark Link thrusts its sword downwards to launch opponents away. Strong, and functions similarly to Young Link's, but allows Dark Link to bounce off enemies, like both Link and Young Link. (16% early/13% late/10% bounce)

Neutral special: Mirror. When used against an opponent's attack, Dark Link initiates a quick attack at the same time to initiate a clash. Only works effectively on weaker attacks, preferably those at or below 10% damage. If missed, this move carries a hefty amount of endlag that leaves Dark Link vulnerable. (Varies; depends on opponent's move)

Up special: Evanesce. Acts similar to Sheik's Vanish, with a strong and weak hitbox during the teleport. Dark Link is followed by a cloud (heh) of dark smoke (heh heh) before and after the disappearance. Travels a little further than Sheik's. (14% strong/3% weak)

Side special: Shadow. Activates like a counter, but when used against an attack, Dark Link takes damage from it, but reappears behind the opponent, which can be followed up immediately with a move of its own. (0%)

Down special: Doppelgänger. Dark Link takes the form of the opponent close/closest to it, and therefore gains their moveset, excluding specials, although up special reverts it back to original. The transformation takes a while to start, but the process can be cancelled afterwards at any time. Can find even more utility in doubles. (Varies; depends on opponent's move)

FS: Thunderbird. Within the Great Palace, a horde of shadowy figures stab at the victim, leaving them visibly exhausted. The Thunderbird soon appears, and fires a barrage of fireballs that inflict heavy knockback afterwards. This FS is powerful, but requires Dark Link to be able to able to get a swipe on someone in front of it. (60%; 2% initial hit and followed 9 stabs; 8% per each of 5 fireballs)

This took months to complete. Will not explain why.

Music

Other media.

In a Zelda II boss fight.
As a mini-boss in OOT.

I haven't found a support thread for the manifestation, which is understandable, given the alts dedicated to it, although basing it off of a different game could do wonders. Still a bit nervous about what others think, but I appreciate any support. Looking to finish this sooner or later.

Wow, this thread has already been more active than the last one. That's saying something, I guess.

Last edited:

Iridium

Smash Hero
When I think about it, Dark Link has next to no chance compared to most popular characters discussed around here. Maybe next game, I'll bring out my support more, but I'm invested a lot in Ryu Hayabusa.

Still would love to know how to make some Dark Link alts, and maybe even "Smashified' renders based on Zelda II to accompany them. Do appreciate the support at least.

Guh-Huzzah!

Totally humorous voice over and YouTube guy.
Switch FC
SW-2454-8991-5893
When I think about it, Dark Link has next to no chance compared to most popular characters discussed around here. Maybe next game, I'll bring out my support more, but I'm invested a lot in Ryu Hayabusa.

Still would love to know how to make some Dark Link alts, and maybe even "Smashified' renders based on Zelda II to accompany them. Do appreciate the support at least.
That is the truth, which sucks a lot. Still, support threads are for supporting a character, no matter how low their chances may be.

Iridium

Smash Hero
I don't exactly think the plug was needed, but I'd still say I'd like to see Dark Link get in if there ever was a chance. Even then, even I can't say I'm expecting much for Zelda representation as of now.

Oracle Link

Smash Master
I mean which Dark Link should we choose?
Im also not expecting much i mean an Impa Echo maybe Skull Kid really shouldve been in Smash.
Sorry for Plug i just wanted to get some Feedback!

Edit: Id rather have Adult Link + Young Link instead of Light and dark link i hope you agree!

Last edited:
Top Bottom