• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Darches' Smash

Darches

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2105-9602-3489
Darches' Smash! Now with more balance. This is a rough and incomplete guide, as I haven't tried maining every character and frame values are pulled out of my ass. What do I know?
This was originally based on Smash 4 so some things/changes may be unnecessary with the new features. I won't be happy until the 3 Kings are top tier.
I'm a game designer with over 10k Sm4sh battles and you know what? The worst part isn't even the cast balance, but the combat balance. Most characters in this game just spam attack but rarely use shield or grab, and it's boring as hell. I like Bowser because he's actually kinda balanced and is allowed to perform mix ups and hard reads. Unfortunately, that's not even close to good enough when fighting top tier horrors.
  • Almost all grabs are frame 7, with generally 25 frames endlag. This includes dash and pivot grabs.
  • Grab ranges are normalized for consistency, and slightly better in general.
  • Grab is a unique action (instead of shield + attack) so pivot grabs are now easy to perform.
  • 6 frames will be more common for the fastest attacks. Some moves will be slowed down, but most attacks will be faster.
  • Generally reduced attack endlag (tends to be around 20-25 frames for most attacks).
  • Generally faster dash attacks (startlag will usually be ~10 frames or faster).
  • Smash attacks will be faster in general, especially on heavies. This creates more options.
  • Charging smash attacks no longer makes you take more knockback, that's just silly.
  • OPTIONAL: Smash attacks pierce shields. Defense crush!
  • OPTIONAL: You can no longer jump out of shield.
  • You can command grab out of shield.
  • Drop shield lag 7 -> 10
  • Drop shield lag reduced after successful block 10 -> 1. upB is no longer the de facto OoS option. This allows for more varied punish options and benefits characters with poor aerials/upB's. It also also stops punishing players who don't use tap jump. A 1 frame slide input shouldn't be necessary to counter a badly spaced Sheik fAir.
  • Perfect shielding removed. Breaking stuff is fun. No more cheating the system.
  • Shield regeneration reduced.
  • Shield break creates explosion dealing last hit +10%(?) with instant medium knockback (like a kill throw).
  • Automaticly pummel and struggle. Button mashing 'ain't cool, competitive, or hardware friendly.
  • Stale-move negation removed. (It just makes bad characters worse due to their lack of options)
  • Auto-cancel removed. No more mindless frame data complexities. ORDER HAS BEEN RESTORED! (plus the game is easier to play)
  • Landing lag = endlag of any action + standard landing lag. Just add the lag and voila. Obviously this huge change requires total rebalance, but I assure you it's worth it.
  • Airdodge endlag increased 6 -> 10 frames (like spot dodge).
  • You can act sooner after being spiked or foot-stooled.
  • Simplified knockback formula. Knockback is determined more based on player damage.
  • Remove/change rage/knockback scaling?
  • High weight provides knockback resistance that scales up with damage. Heavies won't be punching bags as much.
  • Low weight provides increased knockback that scales down with damage. Feather weights won't be mandatory glass cannons.
  • Less fully intangible moves. Punishment and edgeguarding actually works.
  • Damage = (startlag + endlag)*range*disjoint*mobility*etc. (heavies will be breaking shields easily now) I don't actually have a real formula but it'd sure make balancing easy.
  • Characters have the same item throw frame data. This actually hurts heavies a lot when fighting bananas and sawblades.
  • Spot dodging lets you grab items like air dodging.
  • OPTIONAL: You can still be grabbed while dodging (since it takes up the same design space as blocking).
  • Throws are generally stronger.
Mario:
  • Physics adjusted (nerfed to match his games). He needs less air acceleration and might need slightly less air speed or faster dash speed.
  • Slightly more startlag on everything.
  • Stronger uTilt (less combo damage, better punish option).
  • fAir is much faster, weaker, and no longer spikes. (beginner friendly)
  • Footstool is a powerful spike.
  • upB has a smaller ledge sweetspot but grants more distance.
  • upB no longer provides intangibility.
  • upB damage variance changed to be more rewarding in general, instead of leaning on the 1st hit.
  • OPTIONAL: uSmash becomes "brick breaker" punch. Less safe, but murderous knockback.
  • Moveset slightly nerfed in general (because the new landing mechanics make him lagless like before)
  • dSmash has less knockback.
  • Generally stronger attacks.
Marth:
  • Sour hits do *0.8, sweet hits do *1.1.
  • Reduced damage, knockback, and interruptible frame data.
  • dAir endlag reduced
  • fSmash has slightly reduced knockback.
  • upB no longer provides intangibility.
  • sideB uh... I forgot what I wanted to change, but it's kind of uninteresting right now.
Bowser:
  • Fire breath lag reduced and damage improved.
  • Bowser is now stationary when using fire breath. The flames will shrink, but Bowser won't slide away just from hitting the opponent or their shield.
  • OPTIONAL: Fire breath becomes a high range/damage flinchless attack, with utility like Fox's laser and range like in Super Paper Mario. This further differentiates it from Charizard's fire breath and focuses on Bowser's melee playstyle. Or, Bowser gets fire shot like in the main Mario games, which can be charged for more attacks.
  • bAir slightly nerfed
  • dSmash knockback and endlag slightly reduced
  • dSmash only hits once for immediate damage/knockback.
  • upB only hits once for immediate damage/knockback (like in the games).
  • fSmash is faster and more consistent.
  • uTilt speed and power increased slightly.
  • fTilt power increased slightly.
  • uThrow damage increased. Obviously this won't combo as well.
  • nAir is slightly faster, weaker, and more consistent.
  • dAir is once again a drill attack. It offers a fast way down and rewards high hits with heavier damage. (Seriously, it's a cool type of move. Is there even one drill dive attack in Sm4sh?)
  • Dodge, roll, and tech distance greatly improved. Or much faster.
  • Aerial upB moves faster and hits like the grounded version.
  • downB links properly and deals much more damage/knockback with slightly reduced endlag.
  • downB aerial startlag slightly reduced.
  • downB grounded startlag slightly increased.
  • downB has super armor. RUN COWARDS! (seriously, Mario's uSmash shouldn't beat Bowser Bomb. Y'all played Mario 3 right?)
  • downB no longer pushes shields away, breaking them instead.
  • Aerial sideB startlag reduced and hitbox increased.
  • sideB is fully controlled by Bowser, or opponent dies first.
  • sideB knockback reduced.
  • dThrow damage increased.
  • fThrow/bThrow knockback increased.
  • Pivot grab range reduced.
  • Jumpsquat 8 -> 7
  • If Bowser is somehow still bad, we can increase his air speed based on his appearance in Super Mario Maker (not sure if he can normally jump that fast, haven't played Mario in a long time).
Ganondorf:
  • Air acceleration/speed slightly increased.
  • upB has increased speed/power/recovery
  • downB is now Wizard's Dropkick.
  • uTilt is much faster
  • fSmash is now Warlock Punch. It still grants super armor and can be reversed .
  • New special: energy ball! Charging creates a stonger/larger/slower ball. It stuns and can be reflected.
  • Grab range improved. Dash grab is now a faster/shorter version of flame choke.
  • All throws greatly improved. dThrow is basically old flame choke, fThrow and uThrow deal more damage, and bThrow has more knockback.
  • New sideB: Sword strike. A fairly quick mid-range attack that's weaker up front but uniquely deals bonus damage when it clangs by unleashing a dark pulse. Beat down your foes with raw power! Can be charged for more power.
  • Sourspots removed. Ganondorf only has sweetspots.
  • nAir slightly nerfed
  • bAir slightly nerfed
  • fAir slightly buffed, especially frame data
  • uAir startlag 6 -> 7
  • dAir damage increased.
  • dSmash endlag 26 -> 21
King Dedede:
  • Air speed increased. Dash speed increased?
  • Generally better frame data.
  • Hard landing lag 6 -> 5
  • Improved grab range.
  • Dash attack is faster, larger, and provides more movement. Still terribly punishable though.
  • Jab is now Hammer Nail.
  • fTilt is now: swing -> twirl. (faster)
  • dTilt has slightly more start lag, slightly less endlag, improved hitbox
  • fAir is now Giant Swing.
  • dAir is now Hammer Twirl (deals fire damage).
  • dAir cannot land normally, instead continuing until attack finishes. Don't worry, it has low endlag.
  • Inhale damage improved.
  • downB is now Gordo
  • Gordo damage slightly reduced, but no longer weakens.
  • downB hammer damage slightly reduced.
  • Gordo requires 3% damage to reflect.
  • upB damage improved and landing lag reduced.
  • New sideB: Hammer Swing. Get a quick burst of speed when you need it! Travels farther if used when dashing or can be charged. You have additional control while swinging, like Bowser's Whirling Fortress.
Rosalina & Luma:
  • Luma HP reduced, knockback reduced.
  • Luma is no longer intangible during attacks.
  • Luma can't attack when Rosalina is grabbed.
Samus:
  • Generally improved grab
  • Screw attack grants sideways movement and connects reliably.
  • Missile tracking and speed improved.
  • Freeze missiles!?
  • zAir no longer deals damage.
  • Jab fixed/buffed
  • Attacks and smashes in general deal higher knockback, especially on sour spots..
  • Reduced mobility to pre-buff.
  • After sprinting for a bit, speed booster enables a faster dash and stronger attack.
Link:
  • zAir no longer deals damage
  • Dash attack is faster
Toon Link:
  • Damage output reduced until he's on par with regular link.
  • bThrow knockback reduced.
Pac-Man:
  • Fixed grab
Roy:
  • Slightly slower fall speed
  • Slightly improved recovery
  • Higher air acceleration
  • Balanced endlag
Zelda:
  • fAir/bAir deal more consistent damage
  • sideB is faster, bigger, stronger, and doesn't make you helpless.
  • downB is faster.
Charizard:
  • Improved recovery?
  • Nerfed bAir sweetspot?
  • sideB inflicts 1/3 recoil when it hits, with power scaled up by enemy weight.
  • uThrow DI multiplier reduced.
Zero Skill Samus:
  • Generally nerfed damage/knockback. If she's going to be practically flying around other characters with that annoying ass downB and delivering kill combos then there's no reason she should be so powerful.
  • upB is slightly slower and moderately weaker, but safer.
  • Alternate balance: Takes more damage due to lack of power armor (Have y'all played Zero Mission?). Easy balance is easy.
Sonic:
  • Takes *1.5 damage and drops rings when hurt. Each ring heals .75%. Gotta go fast!
  • All intangibility and priority removed.
  • dAir lasts longer.
Bowser Jr.:
  • Removed damage modifiers to improve endurance.
  • Improved grab/throws.
  • Greatly improved cannonball.
Fox:
  • Generally slightly increased damage and knockback.
  • fAir endlag increased.
  • uAir nerfed.
  • uSmash nerfed.
  • dSmash nerfed.
  • Weight increased.
  • Air speed improved.
  • His throws probably need to be looked at.
  • You'll find that fox can now kill with many more things due to the removal of knockback scaling. He should be about as strong as before, if not a little weaker.
Mewtwo:
  • Severely nerfed in general, including mobility.
Cloud:
  • Limit break is only increased by taking damage, like in FF VII.
  • Having limit break charged no longer improves Cloud's power/mobility.
  • fSmash power reduced.
  • uAir nerfed.
  • sideB nerfed.
  • More like Dissidia, a superior fighting game.
  • Finishing touch is no longer weight independent.
  • Able to ledge sweetspot like everyone else.
Corrin:
  • Nerfed in general?
Villager:
  • I dunno, but he's extra cancerous.
Robin:
  • Aerial levin sword attacks have less knockback.
  • I dunno. I do know he wrecks my main though.
Pikachu:
  • Thunder weakened?
Yoshi:
  • Improved grabs
  • Reduced air speed
  • Weaker moves in general, to match his frame data and mobility. Especially dAir and maybe downB.
Mega Man:
  • bAir knockback reduced
  • dSmash knockback reduced
Kirby:
  • dTilt changed to slide kick from the games.
Ike:
  • Aether goes diagonally or Quickdraw doesn't make him helpless.
  • Counter comes out faster (still ends later, meaning it lasts longer but is more punishable).
Wario:
  • fSmash is shoulder tackle. Seriously why'd they change this??? If it's unsafe then give it completely lethal knockback. Others have suggested that charging it makes the tackle go farther, which I like.

So overall the new Smash is uh... Lookin' alright I guess? The changes to dodging and movement will generally improve the game and make it easier for ground-based characters to land. Bowser will probably be at least a little worse off if not terrible, so imma try to main Ridley because I really want to grind people into the floor. If that doesn't work, maybe Wolf will be powerful and exciting. I'll probably just settle on Cloud who will no doubt still be OP. He technically won't be pay2win anymore.

While I'm at it (outdated):

Last edited:

Necro'lic

Smash Ace
While I'm a fan of balancing exercises, I feel like you put a lot of personal thoughts into these changes, when you should be heavily impartial when it comes to balance. Personally, I like balancing based on what I feel the character should be good and bad at. Also, it would be great if you were a lot more specific on the character specific stuff.

As for your universal changes, some of them seem to be based on Smash 4 and not Ultimate, like the airdodge. Is this intended?

Darches

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2105-9602-3489
This was originally based on Smash 4
Yeah, Smash Ultimate airdodges look good.
By "personal thoughts" you're probably referring to my main having a more detailed change list. He's not buffed much but rebalanced to be more true to his games and also reduce his own cancer. uThrow > nAir spam is boring.

Last edited:

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Describing over half the roster of a game as "cancerous" is some real pro-level johns.

Darches

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2105-9602-3489
I'm serious. Throwing out the same attack (or general option) 10 times in a row is not interesting. Projectiles are particularly cancerous, which I figured is why I wasn't having fun playing Link. Zoning is pretty boring IMO; I prefer to go all in. In the original Smash, all projectiles had significant weaknesses. We brought swords to a fist fight, then guns to a sword fight, and the result is obvious.

To fight cancer, characters must be designed for versatility. In other words, they should NOT have linear playstyles with flow-charts, but instead allow for some player expression. Freedom/interaction is the essense of good games. For starters, most grabs in Sm4sh are terrible for no apparent reason, dealing far less damage and knockback than regular attacks (whether they be combo'ing or killing).

And I thought Johning was making excuses for losing? That chart has nothing to do with character viability or my wins or loses. Also, prior to being buffed incorrectly Marth/Lucina were much less cancerous. Also, Shulk should be in the IDK section.

Last edited:

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Simply put, I would suggest getting involved with your local competitive scene.

This is the only true way to gain a real understanding of the game, and develop an informed perspective of why and how it works.

Top Bottom