• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Danganronpa Protagonists Bring Hope! Makoto, Hajime, Kaede and Friends for Smash Thread

Who is your favourite protagonist?

• Makoto

Votes: 8 25.0%
  • Hajime

Votes: 6 18.8%
  • Komaru

Votes: 3 9.4%
  • Kaede

Votes: 15 46.9%

• Total voters

amageish

Smash Master
So, uh, I support Danganronpa content in Smash! And I appreciate you including all the main game protagonists in your writeup. Kaede is one of my favorite fictional characters of all time, and the rest are no slouches either especially Shuichi. Sign me up.
Added! Welcome aboard. Kaede is also my favourite, if my current profile picture didn't imply that. Actually, I'll make favourite protagonist a poll for this thread...

You know, this is starting to feel like a Joker thread reunion... right down to the argument eating up all the thread, though for Joker that was lower-stakes and after his reveal.

Anyway... Here's another DR x Smash question I haven't asked yet: What is everyone's stage preference for Danganronpa? Trial Room? Hope's Peak traveling stage? Jabberwocky Island traveling stage? Ultimate Academy traveling stage? Towa City? Pokefloats, but with Danganronpa characters?

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Added! Welcome aboard. Kaede is also my favourite, if my current profile picture didn't imply that. Actually, I'll make favourite protagonist a poll for this thread...

You know, this is starting to feel like a Joker thread reunion... right down to the argument eating up all the thread, though for Joker that was lower-stakes and after his reveal.

Anyway... Here's another DR x Smash question I haven't asked yet: What is everyone's stage preference for Danganronpa? Trial Room? Hope's Peak traveling stage? Jabberwocky Island traveling stage? Ultimate Academy traveling stage? Towa City? Pokefloats, but with Danganronpa characters?
I’d love a stage that takes place during a Class Trial, it’d be great seeing the characters possibly hit you with their words like in Danganronpa VR

amageish

Smash Master
I’d love a stage that takes place during a Class Trial, it’d be great seeing the characters possibly hit you with their words like in Danganronpa VR
Oooooh, that'd be cool. Write some dialogue for a Smash-exclusive cross-franchise Class Trial? Could make for a unique stage for sure...

I really like how the VR game pushes the animations to another level. Like, with Toko being able to just straight-up throw books at people and such. V3 kind of has that in Argument Armament sections, but it'd be really cool to see a fully-stylized game where everyone just constantly has their talent being referenced in their animations with various objects magically appearing...

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

How would Pokefloats work with characters like Hina, Akane, and Miu?

Anyway, to answer your question, I always imagined the Trial Grounds being the way to go, conplete with mandatory cameos. However, I also had my own idea for a gimmick. Remember how in Terry's stage where there are invisible walls? I had a similar idea to that, except it goes all around the stage. Basically, you can't get knocked out.

So how do you eliminate someone? Why, with one of the various murd-AHEM, I MEAN items lying around, of course! Basically, once the opponent reaches a certain percentage, take the nearest damage-inducing item, and BAM! Cue the Danganronpa Scream of Body Discovery (Patent Pending)!

amageish

Smash Master
How would Pokefloats work with characters like Hina, Akane, and Miu?

Anyway, to answer your question, I always imagined the Trial Grounds being the way to go, conplete with mandatory cameos. However, I also had my own idea for a gimmick. Remember how in Terry's stage where there are invisible walls? I had a similar idea to that, except it goes all around the stage. Basically, you can't get knocked out.

So how do you eliminate someone? Why, with one of the various murd-AHEM, I MEAN items lying around, of course! Basically, once the opponent reaches a certain percentage, take the nearest damage-inducing item, and BAM! Cue the Danganronpa Scream of Body Discovery (Patent Pending)!
I mean, I was joking about Pokefloats and thinking of, like Usami and other mascots, but... uh... I imagine there are some characters who would need to be given the Mythra treatment if they appeared in Smash Bros.

That' a really cool idea for a gimmick! Almost makes Smash Bros into PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale for just one stage... It'd be kind of funny if the items also used a mix of actual murder weapons and not-murder-weapons from the franchise for max red herrings (ex/ include the crossbow that isn't used to actually kill anyone in V3-5)... or maybe just avoid using actual weapons to avoid spoilers altogether, idk.

It'd be really interesting to incorporate the Body Discovery screen in some way, actually. Maybe if you KO with a Final Smash, the victory screen is replaced with Monokuma announcing a body discovery, kind of similar-ish to how Joker's All-Out-Attack works?

Zeox

Smash Champion
I'm... legit surprised I actually never posted on this thread.
I became a fan of the franchise in august 2019, got the first two games on steam summer sales, loved them, played all the extra modes, got UDG, saw DR3 in the correct order, played V3, got 100% of achievements in every single game, read all the novels, and eventually even made my own Danganronpa parody youtube series that took me a year to finish (here's the first episode in case of curious, the rest of them are in the description of the video)
And tomorrow I will upload an animation of "Danganronpa IF", the whole short novel, animated with in-game sprites... also, draw some Earthbound/Danganronpa images some time ago:

So... basically... yeah, I want Danganronpa in smash, I think it would be cool, don't care if Monokuma, Makoto, or whatever, but I want some Danganronpa on Smash, I think I probably like the franchise.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I became a fan of the franchise in august 2019, got the first two games on steam summer sales, loved them, played all the extra modes, got UDG, saw DR3 in the correct order, played V3, got 100% of achievements in every single game, read all the novels, and eventually even made my own Danganronpa parody youtube series that took me a year to finish (here's the first episode in case of curious, the rest of them are in the description of the video)
And tomorrow I will upload an animation of "Danganronpa IF", the whole short novel, animated with in-game sprites... also, draw some Earthbound/Danganronpa images some time ago:

So... basically... yeah, I want Danganronpa in smash, I think it would be cool, don't care if Monokuma, Makoto, or whatever, but I want some Danganronpa on Smash, I think I probably like the franchise.
These crossover art pieces are AMAZING!!! As someone who loves both series, you absolutely nailed it!!!

amageish

Smash Master

Welcome aboard! Added to the support list.

I also think you probably like the franchise; that's a lot of things haha. An animated version of If sounds great too, as I imagine a lot of people just haven't bothered to read it as it is just a novel in a video game... awkwardly stares at my still-unread copy of UDH If is great though.

And those crossover art moments are fantastic. I especially like the use of the background in the second one; very spooky in a way fitting of both IPs.

Zeox

Smash Champion
Alright, just like I said yesterday, today I uploaded an animated version of Danganronpa: IF that I been working for the past 2 months (and today was the perfect day for it, since it's the birthday of the protagonist of this story):
Anyways, this is how I see how they would do it if they actually added a Danganronpa character to Smash:
Character: Makoto Naegi, is not my favorite pick but it's the most obvious, he's the first protagonist and the most recognizable one.
Stage: Class Trial from DR1, also a very obvious pic.
Spirits: If they go for spirits from the whole franchise, I would say: Kirigiri, Togami, Hajime, Nagito, Chiaki, Komaru, Shuichi, Kaede, Kokichi and finally Monokuma, but, if it's just Danganronpa 1, then I'll say: Kirigiri, Togami, Sayaka, Junko, Toko, Chihiro, Mondo, Ishimaru, Aoi and Monokuma.
Mii costumes: Monokuma, Monomi, maybe Junko or Nagito... hopefully Nagito so we can make the sans nagito awful memes into a reality.
obviously avoiding any character that would be a big spoiler, so when I said Junko, I actually meant "Junkuro"[/SPOILER

MintPepsi

Smash Cadet
I'm a big fan of Danganronpa although I only just got into the franchise this year. My favorite game is DR2 and my favorite character is Nagito. Tbh I'd love to see Danganronpa in Smash in any form and by extension I would absolutely love to see the protagonists get in. Ideally, I'd want it to be a Hero situation with the alts. Makoto as the default and then Hajime, Nagito, Kaede, and Shuichi as modelswaps. I'd also be down for Monokuma being the playable rep. Honestly, there's just so much potential for DR in Smash. I'd really want to see what the Smash team could do with a DR stage and some DR remixes would be awesome. I actually began working on a concept document for the protags in Smash along with what the DR stage and musiclist would be but I haven't gotten around to finishing it lol. Feel free to put me on that support list.

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
Alright, just like I said yesterday, today I uploaded an animated version of Danganronpa: IF that I been working for the past 2 months (and today was the perfect day for it, since it's the birthday of the protagonist of this story):
Anyways, this is how I see how they would do it if they actually added a Danganronpa character to Smash:
Character: Makoto Naegi, is not my favorite pick but it's the most obvious, he's the first protagonist and the most recognizable one.
Stage: Class Trial from DR1, also a very obvious pic.
Spirits: If they go for spirits from the whole franchise, I would say: Kirigiri, Togami, Hajime, Nagito, Chiaki, Komaru, Shuichi, Kaede, Kokichi and finally Monokuma, but, if it's just Danganronpa 1, then I'll say: Kirigiri, Togami, Sayaka, Junko, Toko, Chihiro, Mondo, Ishimaru, Aoi and Monokuma.
Mii costumes: Monokuma, Monomi, maybe Junko or Nagito... hopefully Nagito so we can make the sans nagito awful memes into a reality.
obviously avoiding any character that would be a big spoiler, so when I said Junko, I actually meant "Junkuro"[/SPOILER
Right, happy birthday to that character! I hadn't made that connection yesterday, but very good timing.

That seems like a fairly plausible pack set-up for sure! I definitely agree that standalone Makoto is the most likely character. Otherwise your spirits are repping protagonist/friend/rival trios, which also seems likely. I wouldn't be too surprised if Toko got a spirit instead of Komaru though, with a Toko spirit battle having a Komaru stand-in, as Smash seems to only like gesturing towards spin-off games a lot of the time...

Nagito (and also Chiaki) both seem like fairly likely costumes to me just because... popular characters are popular + they are fairly common choices for crossover stuff with DR anyway. Nagito/Sans memes would destroy the internet if it happened though. Another ship Smash Bros would make possible for people... The most cosplayed character in the world also feels like a logical choice for a costume though - I mean, Mii Costumes are basically cosplay anyway, right?

I'm a big fan of Danganronpa although I only just got into the franchise this year. My favorite game is DR2 and my favorite character is Nagito. Tbh I'd love to see Danganronpa in Smash in any form and by extension I would absolutely love to see the protagonists get in. Ideally, I'd want it to be a Hero situation with the alts. Makoto as the default and then Hajime, Nagito, Kaede, and Shuichi as modelswaps. I'd also be down for Monokuma being the playable rep. Honestly, there's just so much potential for DR in Smash. I'd really want to see what the Smash team could do with a DR stage and some DR remixes would be awesome. I actually began working on a concept document for the protags in Smash along with what the DR stage and musiclist would be but I haven't gotten around to finishing it lol. Feel free to put me on that support list.
Welcome aboard! 2020 is a year a lot of people have gotten into Danganronpa, it seems. Like, the Google trends for it are higher now then they've been before...

Going all-out with some non-protagonist modelswaps would be awesome, though obviously a lot of work. Heh, actually, I suppose we could include Kyoko and Nagito as protagonists if we just count DR Kirigiri and DR2.5... Huzzah for extended universe manga/novels!

Best of luck with the document! It is fun to think about. I should really do a music list myself...

Here's a question: Where would people draw the line for music? As I'll admit part of me would really want to put Monochrome Anwser (one of Sayaka's songs ((bonus fact: Sayaka shares an actor with Kirby in Japanese)) on a music list, even though that doesn't get played in any of the... actual games...

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Right, happy birthday to that character! I hadn't made that connection yesterday, but very good timing.

That seems like a fairly plausible pack set-up for sure! I definitely agree that standalone Makoto is the most likely character. Otherwise your spirits are repping protagonist/friend/rival trios, which also seems likely. I wouldn't be too surprised if Toko got a spirit instead of Komaru though, with a Toko spirit battle having a Komaru stand-in, as Smash seems to only like gesturing towards spin-off games a lot of the time...

Nagito (and also Chiaki) both seem like fairly likely costumes to me just because... popular characters are popular + they are fairly common choices for crossover stuff with DR anyway. Nagito/Sans memes would destroy the internet if it happened though. Another ship Smash Bros would make possible for people... The most cosplayed character in the world also feels like a logical choice for a costume though - I mean, Mii Costumes are basically cosplay anyway, right?

Welcome aboard! 2020 is a year a lot of people have gotten into Danganronpa, it seems. Like, the Google trends for it are higher now then they've been before...

Going all-out with some non-protagonist modelswaps would be awesome, though obviously a lot of work. Heh, actually, I suppose we could include Kyoko and Nagito as protagonists if we just count DR Kirigiri and DR2.5... Huzzah for extended universe manga/novels!

Best of luck with the document! It is fun to think about. I should really do a music list myself...

Here's a question: Where would people draw the line for music? As I'll admit part of me would really want to put Monochrome Anwser (one of Sayaka's songs ((bonus fact: Sayaka shares an actor with Kirby in Japanese)) on a music list, even though that doesn't get played in any of the... actual games...
I guess it depends on what Spike Chunsoft is willing to allow. Didn't Sephiroth come with some Advent Children songs?

amageish

Smash Master
I guess it depends on what Spike Chunsoft is willing to allow. Didn't Sephiroth come with some Advent Children songs?
True! We have had both Advent Children and Kirby Right Back at Ya content before... Though I suppose those also had appeared in video games before Smash, even if the songs debuted in non-game media...

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
True! We have had both Advent Children and Kirby Right Back at Ya content before... Though I suppose those also had appeared in video games before Smash, even if the songs debuted in non-game media...
There's also the fact that, although I don't think it ever had music from it, Pokemon has made a LOT of references to the anime.

Though now that you mention it, wasn't there a side mode in DRV3 that featured stuff from The End of Hope's Peak Academy? How far did that go?

amageish

Smash Master
There's also the fact that, although I don't think it ever had music from it, Pokemon has made a LOT of references to the anime.

Though now that you mention it, wasn't there a side mode in DRV3 that featured stuff from The End of Hope's Peak Academy? How far did that go?
True! They definitely don't shy away from referencing things at least.

It's just some 8bit sprites of the original characters and aged-up characters, appearing on one of the boards in the board game mode... Nothing too fancy.

amageish

Smash Master
Happy 2021 everyone! Here's the 2018 Spike Chunsoft edit New Year's V3 gang...

I've been thinking a bit about the possibly-existent (if not cancelled) upcoming DR action game, which we've had job listings for since back in 2017 and as recently as December 2019...

It's interesting how they teased a lot of announcements for the anniversary and then announced... mobile ports and mobile game collabs? Kodaka even appeared in English at the New-Game-Plus expo to tell people to look forward to more announcements and since then we've had no announcements officially localized in English (though Spike Chunsoft US has been pushing some Japanese products that can be imported)... So, um, I wouldn't be shocked if something was in the pipeline that was pushed out of the anniversary year due to gestures at the world.

As it originally was planned to be PS4/Vita (though morphed into PS4/PC with the most recent posting), I do wonder if it has a chance on Switch as well... assuming a lower-intensity version was prepared for the Vita and it wasn't scrapped altogether that early into the project... and, again, this is assuming this entire game wasn't scrapped along the way.

Now, as for what a DR action game would be... Um... UDG2? UDG-esque game with V3 survivors? Adapt the anime and make it good this time? Just abandon pretense of canon and make a Danganronpa Warriors game where everyone has magical powers based on their talents which they use to destroy waves of Monokuma? I don't know! Any suggestions?

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Happy 2021 everyone! Here's the 2018 Spike Chunsoft edit New Year's V3 gang...

I've been thinking a bit about the possibly-existent (if not cancelled) upcoming DR action game, which we've had job listings for since back in 2017 and as recently as December 2019...

It's interesting how they teased a lot of announcements for the anniversary and then announced... mobile ports and mobile game collabs? Kodaka even appeared in English at the New-Game-Plus expo to tell people to look forward to more announcements and since then we've had no announcements officially localized in English (though Spike Chunsoft US has been pushing some Japanese products that can be imported)... So, um, I wouldn't be shocked if something was in the pipeline that was pushed out of the anniversary year due to gestures at the world.

As it originally was planned to be PS4/Vita (though morphed into PS4/PC with the most recent posting), I do wonder if it has a chance on Switch as well... assuming a lower-intensity version was prepared for the Vita and it wasn't scrapped altogether that early into the project... and, again, this is assuming this entire game wasn't scrapped along the way.

Now, as for what a DR action game would be... Um... UDG2? UDG-esque game with V3 survivors? Adapt the anime and make it good this time? Just abandon pretense of canon and make a Danganronpa Warriors game where everyone has magical powers based on their talents which they use to destroy waves of Monokuma? I don't know! Any suggestions?
Man, I seriously can't look at Korekiyo and NOT be reminded of Lucahjin's LP. Her thirst for him is the stuff of LEGENDS.

Anyway, about your question, um... maybe make Sakura's Revenge a real thing? I don't know, I'm spitballing.

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
Heh, I thought that I wouldn't see a Danganronpa support thread other than Monokuma.

Well, in that case sign me in! I felt like for me the protag the most logical choice than Monokuma as they're the one we play as and practically the only character that could use the titular Truth Bullet which is a major part in the series. I felt like if Monokuma suddenly granted the power of the Truth Bullet as his gimmick for no goddamn reason which will feel really ironic and morbid and isn't even canon in the game as he is barely participating.

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
Man, I seriously can't look at Korekiyo and NOT be reminded of Lucahjin's LP. Her thirst for him is the stuff of LEGENDS.

Anyway, about your question, um... maybe make Sakura's Revenge a real thing? I don't know, I'm spitballing.
Lol, this is valid. I have not watched any DR let's plays (unless the GameXplain recap/discussions for DR1 counts), but I can imagine how they'd stick with you like that - especially if people thirst for characters, which seems... inadvisable in a franchise like DR lol.

Solid spitballing! It'd be very funny to bring back a 10-year-old joke and make it real. I imagine they'd make more then just Sakura playable though, if it's a Monokuma hoard battle...

I guess if we take "action game" very very very liberally, then they also fake-announced a sports game spin-off with deformed chibi avatars prior to real-announcing Ultra Despair Girls...

Heh, I thought that I wouldn't see a Danganronpa support thread other than Monokuma.

Well, in that case sign me in! I felt like for me the protag the most logical choice than Monokuma as they're the one we play as and practically the only character that could use the titular Truth Bullet which is a major part in the series. I felt like if Monokuma suddenly granted the power of the Truth Bullet as his gimmick for no goddamn reason which will feel really ironic and morbid and isn't even canon in the game as he is barely participating.
Welcome aboard! I hadn't mediated on the irony of Monokuma using truth bullets or thought about the fact they were literally in the name of the franchise before... Both fair points!

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
And honestly it's going to be weird when they just pull out Monokuma's moveset and based it on effing Ultra Despair Girls which is a spin-off action game and then they say "yep, this is your first and purest representation of Danganronpa."

Like seriously, everyone will think that Danganronpa is all about creepy teddy bear killing moody teenager for LOLS when Monokuma came in as a fighter which would really hurt the series reputation.

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
And honestly it's going to be weird when they just pull out Monokuma's moveset and based it on effing Ultra Despair Girls which is a spin-off action game and then they say "yep, this is your first and purest representation of Danganronpa."

Like seriously, everyone will think that Danganronpa is all about creepy teddy bear killing moody teenager for LOLS when Monokuma came in as a fighter which would really hurt the series reputation.
I mean, honestly, I think the franchise's reputation is already very "teddy bear + dramatically-animated death scenes," so I'm unsure if Smash Bros would be changing that much on that front... but I do get your point.

That said, I would still rather a UDG Monokuma moveset over an execution-based Monokuma moveset.... Granted, I don't know if there's a DR moveset I'd like less then an entirely execution-based moveset. I think I'd honestly rather the character be Kirumi and all of her moves are just cleaning....

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
I mean, honestly, I think the franchise's reputation is already very "teddy bear + dramatically-animated death scenes," so I'm unsure if Smash Bros would be changing that much on that front... but I do get your point.

That said, I would still rather a UDG Monokuma moveset over an execution-based Monokuma moveset.... Granted, I don't know if there's a DR moveset I'd like less then an entirely execution-based moveset. I think I'd honestly rather the character be Kirumi and all of her moves are just cleaning....
Brawlfan1's moveset for Monokuma had references to both the executions and UDG. How do you feel about that?

amageish

Smash Master
Brawlfan1's moveset for Monokuma had references to both the executions and UDG. How do you feel about that?
Smash-original executions I'm totally fine with. I don't think it's reasonable to expect unique Final Smashes for everyone just because of copyright law and the approvals they would need to get from various copyright-holders about the unique ways they would kill their characters, but something where Monokuma uses WoL powers or the Dark Cannon from Subspace or something else generally Smash-y (hey, call it "Roster Cuts" and have Monokuma dress up as Sakurai and just delete people from the game as his Final Smash; idk)... that's all fine to me. I'm also fine with a protagonist summoning Monokuma to do an execution as a Final Smash.

I don't like referencing actual executions as I think it's far too easy to reverse-engineer culprits from a vast majority of them. Like, Gonta being guilty is one of the best twists in the franchise to me, I wouldn't want Monokuma's bug-gun to spoil that in Smash Bros, as, like, it's fairly obvious who would be the one to have a bug-themed execution. I'd be more okay with some of the non-sequator stuff (ex/ if Monokuma wants to dump a Fire Truck on someone, then that's not too obvious), but I'd generally just avoid referencing real executions if I had it my way.

Actually, it could be funny to have his cut use the fake executions from the DR1 artbook... That'd be one heck of a way to avoid spoilers lol.

All that said, I would be 100% down for an execution-themed reveal trailer though, where character(s) being "executed" are actually sent to Smash Bros. Call it "The Ultimate Invite" because... Ultimate puns work well in English!

Zeox

Smash Champion
Honestly I would be 100% interested in an UDG sequel, like, I really liked the story of the first one and with a much better gameplay, secondary missions, fun unlockable costumes and nicer graphics I would enjoy it like Monokuma enjoys executions.
Hell, the story of Towa City left a lot open things:
The reason why Komaru and Toko stayed in Towa City was because the kids have very dangerous explosive Monokuma helmets that they could not remove, they most likely were chasing after Monaca because she is the one that created those helmets and she's the one that could create something to free them without too much risk with the bombs, but she ran out to space, so they either have to find a way to bring her back or a different way to get that helmets from the kids.
What happen to Haiji and the other adults that were 100% ok with killing the kids even after knowing they were brainwashed by the Monokuma helmets?
What happen to the Hunting targets? Kanon, Celeste's cat, Hifumi's sister, Ishimaru's dad, Toko's stinkbug? And what happen to Chihiro's father, because if you return to where he supposedly died, you find a note saying that he's actually not dead and that he left to find his wife and son.
Will the Warriors of Hope be allies to Komaru? Will Monaca, after getting bored of despair, get a redemption arc? Will we see the other Hunting targets and have them as actual characters? Will Haiji become a full serious main villain? Will Toko finally take a shower?... probably not.
But yeah, I think there's enough material to get an actual sequel of the adventures of Komaru and Toko.

amageish

Smash Master
Honestly I would be 100% interested in an UDG sequel, like, I really liked the story of the first one and with a much better gameplay, secondary missions, fun unlockable costumes and nicer graphics I would enjoy it like Monokuma enjoys executions.
Hell, the story of Towa City left a lot open things:
The reason why Komaru and Toko stayed in Towa City was because the kids have very dangerous explosive Monokuma helmets that they could not remove, they most likely were chasing after Monaca because she is the one that created those helmets and she's the one that could create something to free them without too much risk with the bombs, but she ran out to space, so they either have to find a way to bring her back or a different way to get that helmets from the kids.
What happen to Haiji and the other adults that were 100% ok with killing the kids even after knowing they were brainwashed by the Monokuma helmets?
What happen to the Hunting targets? Kanon, Celeste's cat, Hifumi's sister, Ishimaru's dad, Toko's stinkbug? And what happen to Chihiro's father, because if you return to where he supposedly died, you find a note saying that he's actually not dead and that he left to find his wife and son.
Will the Warriors of Hope be allies to Komaru? Will Monaca, after getting bored of despair, get a redemption arc? Will we see the other Hunting targets and have them as actual characters? Will Haiji become a full serious main villain? Will Toko finally take a shower?... probably not.
But yeah, I think there's enough material to get an actual sequel of the adventures of Komaru and Toko.
I would also enjoy an improved gameplay take on UDG, as it had some decent ideas and definitely could be improved upon...

My main thing is just whether or not they would tell the in-between story of UDG when we know what happens to Monaca... and also that Toko does take a bath, I think, in the anime.

That said, there totally is a tonne of questions that the anime sidelined, as you laid out perfectly. I really would like to know what is up with the kids - frankly, I find that brainwashing twist very "we're justifying you having spooky children to fight" and wouldn't mind a more serious/existential expansion of it. Having the previous targets get more character development would be pretty interesting - possibly even have them re-unite with the Future Foundation, insofar as that is possible? Chihiro's dad especially feels like a random thing to leave ambigious if there were no plans for a sequel. Warriors of Hope getting redemption arc seems possible too, given where they were left off... Haiji would make a good villain too.

I could also see them covering the capture of the Ultimate Despairs prior to them being put into rehabilitation... That could make for some good levels, if they wanted to make collection of targets an actual mandatory thing this time instead of the most guilt-inducing collectable of all time.

Oh god. Make a DR 3D platormer and if you don't collect all the stars, then an innocent person dies.

amageish

Smash Master
At this stage, pragmatically, I don't know what I'd expect for a Danganronpa character, especially with the voice files suggesting there is only four total "characters" (assumedly including one pallet swap) left...
Update: So, apparently this wasn't so much a "voice files" thing and more of a "making the menu square" thing, with voice folders being added in a case-by-case basis... So, scratch that as an argument against a character with a lot of alts! 4-character Protagonist is back!

Also, people probably saw this elsewhere on the internet, but we got new official art for the anniversary.

Everyone is dressed very fancy, plus we got a lot a new hairstyles.

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Update: So, apparently this wasn't so much a "voice files" thing and more of a "making the menu square" thing, with voice folders being added in a case-by-case basis... So, scratch that as an argument against a character with a lot of alts! 4-character Protagonist is back!

Also, people probably saw this elsewhere on the internet, but we got new official art for the anniversary.

My personal favorites here are Kaede, Tenko, Chihiro, Maki, and Kyoko.

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord

Imagine this being an alternate costume or a possible color palette haha

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
My personal favorites here are Kaede, Tenko, Chihiro, Maki, and Kyoko.
Good choices! I love all those too, plus Miu and Twogami.

Nagito's hairstyle is excellent as well. I am excited for when conventions are able to happen again, as I imagine all of these will be inspiring some cosplayers. I won't deny that I'm eying that Peko outfit as potential inspiration personally (though also my cosplay backlog is insanely huge and only growing as I have no excuses to cosplay + more time to get into more games).

Imagine this being an alternate costume or a possible color palette haha
That would be hilarious. I, uh, wish Kaede luck running around Smash Bros in that dress.

Hinata

Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Good choices! I love all those too, plus Miu and Twogami.

Nagito's hairstyle is excellent as well. I am excited for when conventions are able to happen again, as I imagine all of these will be inspiring some cosplayers. I won't deny that I'm eying that Peko outfit as potential inspiration personally (though also my cosplay backlog is insanely huge and only growing as I have no excuses to cosplay + more time to get into more games).
Apparently once the new artbook comes out, we'll get full-body unobscured versions for all these sprites. I imagine that's when cosplay will really run wild.

amageish

Smash Master
Apparently once the new artbook comes out, we'll get full-body unobscured versions for all these sprites. I imagine that's when cosplay will really run wild.
That does sound amazing... I do wish the artbook was a bit more in my price range, but alas... Hopefully good samaritans scan/translate important bits...

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

Hooray for another dead rumor!

Also, can I just stop and appreciate how great Hina and Kazuichi look? Those two are my favorites from their respective games, and they. Are. KILLING IT!

Though poor one out for Mukuro, UDG, DR3, and that Killer Killer thing.

ninjahmos

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-8579-4123-9016
I support this! I’d love to see some visual novel representation in Smash, especially Danganronpa. Although, my first choice would actually be Ace Attorney, but I digress. Count me in! They should include music from the Danganronpa series. Both originals and new remixes. I’d love to hear a Danganronpa Smash remix by Masafumi Takada.

Last edited:

amageish

Smash Master
Hooray for another dead rumor!

Also, can I just stop and appreciate how great Hina and Kazuichi look? Those two are my favorites from their respective games, and they. Are. KILLING IT!

Though poor one out for Mukuro, UDG, DR3, and that Killer Killer thing.
I'm mildly embarrassed that I regurgitated it, as, like, it seems that it's just a thing people starting saying for fun? Idk how it spread, honestly. But, hey, it's good to have a lot of alts back on the table, even if they were never actually off it.

They do both look great! Kazuichi's colour scheme works surprisingly well on a classy outfit.

I get characters who never had portraits being excluded, but... yeah... RIP UDG.

I support this! I’d love to see some visual novel representation in Smash, especially Danganronpa. Although, my first choice would actually be Ace Attorney, but I digress. Count me in! They should include music from the Danganronpa series. Both originals and new remixes. I’d love to hear a Danganronpa Smash remix by Masafumi Takada.
Welcome aboard! I forgot how Takada already has been doing remixes for Smash; it'd be fun to see him take on remixing his own compositions. Actually, hey, if Wright got in, then it'd be fun to hear his take on that IP's ost too...

I'm also generally really into VN reps in Smash. Ayumi being scrapped is at least a good sign for them having been considered before, even if they were passed on...

Hinata

Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Oh yeah, I wanted to mention that I think this Rivals of Aether mod has a good idea for a Danganronpa stage.

preview.png

The "dead student" signs move around in the background, like the camera is spinning around them, and the monitor in the back shows Monokuma dragging off a player in the 8-bit "character has been found guilty, commencing execution" style when they die.

amageish

Smash Master
Oh yeah, I wanted to mention that I think this Rivals of Aether mod has a good idea for a Danganronpa stage.

The "dead student" signs move around in the background, like the camera is spinning around them, and the monitor in the back shows Monokuma dragging off a player in the 8-bit "character has been found guilty, commencing execution" style when they die.
I do really like that stage design and hadn't noticed the the monitor part before! That's really cool.

I have always found the challenge of a Trial Grounds stage to be the perspective and making a circular thing look normal to be fighting in, which that layout does accomplish really well.

Also, um, did a bunch of Danganronpa fans raid Global Smash Roster? As I checked it today and suddenly see Monokuma, Makoto, Shuichi, Hajime, Chiaki, Komaru, and Kaede are all in the top 100. I don't think fan polls like these have that much of a point beyond showing how effectively various fandoms can rally people to make numbers go up, but I'll admit I am kind of surprised 424 people upped Komaru...

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
I do really like that stage design and hadn't noticed the the monitor part before! That's really cool.

I have always found the challenge of a Trial Grounds stage to be the perspective and making a circular thing look normal to be fighting in, which that layout does accomplish really well.

Also, um, did a bunch of Danganronpa fans raid Global Smash Roster? As I checked it today and suddenly see Monokuma, Makoto, Shuichi, Hajime, Chiaki, Komaru, and Kaede are all in the top 100. I don't think fan polls like these have that much of a point beyond showing how effectively various fandoms can rally people to make numbers go up, but I'll admit I am kind of surprised 424 people upped Komaru...
Maybe somebody mentioned it on Reddit? That's why the TF2 characters are so high up.

amageish

Smash Master
Maybe somebody mentioned it on Reddit? That's why the TF2 characters are so high up.
I'm sure someone mentioned it in some big DR community, but I haven't seen it... I'm obviously not in every DR fandom space though, so I was just wondering if anyone knew who/what signal-boosted it.

Hinata

Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
Oh yeah x2, wanted to also say put me down on the supporters list. If I could main Kaede in Smash I'd be the happiest girl alive.

Top Bottom